A Bit of Advice for New DVC Members

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
When down at WDW don't forget a number of restaurants and shops offer discounts to DVC members. I hate to admit it, but I forgot this several times and missed out on saving probably $20-30 total. It is so easy when presented with your check at a restaurant to just plop down your room keycard to pay and completely forget to also pull out your DVC membership card. I did remember once at Garibaldi's and got the free candy bar they give you. But I forgot completely at Cape May and Wolfgang.

Also, don't forget you get discounts on some tours. We did the Segway Behind World Showcase tour and got a nice discount for our three tickets.

In addition:

Don't forget you Annual Pass discounts too!

I've gotten in the habit of taking the little member perks booklet they give you at check in and the Annual Pass holder with me everywhere. I keep them right next to my room card and cash so I remember to check them every time I get ready to pay for something.

Those little discounts really add up!

Your room key if you are charging too it should say member in the bottom (right?) corner of the card. This is supposed to automatically give you any discaounts available DVC members. We actually asked about it the first few times as we werent sure we were getting the discount without asking. Sure enough it is coded in the card.

Hum, I didn't realize it and looking at the room key, it does say member. I didn't think to check my bills to see if I got the discount. Maybe I got it and didn't realize it. Thanks for pointing this out.

Do I have to be staying at a DVC resort on points in order to get the discounts? We might stay at Shades of Green for an upcoming trip and it would be nice if we could take advantage of the deals.

Thanks.
Kelley

Last year while at Yacht Club Galley, I gave our server our room key to charge on and she came back and mentioned that she noticed that the card said member on it and gave us our discount. I thought that was really nice of her and she got a good tip.

I just got in the habit of asking every time and every place. That way I am sure I will get the discout if any is offered - too many to keep up with!

Where can I find a comprehensive list of the discounts DVC members are entitled to?

I tried the member website but had no luck.

Susan

Not only good advice for new members it's good advice for us older members. I spaced out last month and missed out on the discount at The Yachtsmen Steakhouse.

Not all discounts are coded to your room key,even if it says Member on it. When we didn't get the 20% lunch discount in France, I asked the waiter who informed me that he needed our DVC membership card. Before my DW could dig her card out- I don't carry mine- he had gone and talked to his supervisor who authorized the discount anyway.

When we ate lunch over in IOA, our waiter asked us when he brought the bill if we had any discounts - AP's, AAA,etc- that might apply to our bill. DW handed over our AAA card and we got 10 or 20 % off. I liked the fact he asked us because we never would have thought to ask him first. Of course, his tip went up a couple bucks, so we both won.

Originally posted by KelNottAt
Do I have to be staying at a DVC resort on points in order to get the discounts? We might stay at Shades of Green for an upcoming trip and it would be nice if we could take advantage of the deals.

Thanks.
Kelley

Nope, all you need is your member card. We stayed at the Dolphin last year when the rooms were at $99 for Labor Day, and were able to take good advantage of the 20% discount at the Swolphin eateries. Don't forget the discounts there...it's easy to do (although Schula's and BlueZoo aren't eligible).

SuzieQMomof3 you are in good company when you can't find something specific on the member web site., even when you know what you are looking for. It isn't very user friendly. I had the same problem.

Beware that sometimes you have to be staying on points to get a discount. My DH was at VWL for a massage when we were staying at WL. They refused to give the listed discount because we weren't staying on points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter