A Birthday Trip without a Birthday - 2/16: Conclusion and Bonus Birthday Tea

But seriously, I think the guy vomiting is still nicer to look at than this Brussels landmark:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...eken_Pis.jpg/397px-Bruxelles_Manneken_Pis.jpg

I only posted the link because some people might think this a bit too obvious, so click on it at your own risk! But I can assure you that here in Europe we consider it art...

:lmao: I love the expression on the little guys face.

I think she had a very nice day and managed to escape the bitter frost we are experiencing here at the moment! :goodvibes

What crazy weather we are all having.

party::bday:party: Katharina. Hope you had a wonderfu lday and you all are staying warm. :cold:

I've been lurking and thoroughly enjoying your TR but haven't commented up to this point. I just had to say thanks for this review of Mythos! I'm on the fence about taking the time for a TS meal in the parks or saving our touring time and having a nice meal at Citywalk. Mythos is the reason I keep coming back to park dining because it just looks so cool. Your review has me leaning toward Citywalk though which actually makes so much more sense overall. :thumbsup2

First of all: :welcome: It is always great to hear from lurkers!! :goodvibes

The one thing which we really liked about Mythos was just the fact that getting a table service meal meant a real brake in the day. And I think we definitely needed that.

Also, over on the Universal board there is a thread with the restaurant menus. The one thing that I kept noticing was how the TS restaurants were only a little bit more expensive than CS.

We first had intended to have dinner somewhere at City Walk as well, but then changed dinner to Tchoup Chop (review will be coming!!). And that was just wonderful! I would highly recommend eating there.

I've seen that. My Belgian brother (exchange student) made sure we saw it when we visited him way back in 1980.

Yes, I thought you might be familiar with this Belgian landmark. It is very famous!!

I think you got our winter weather and we got yours this year. Some kind of weird mix-up.

We do get cold spells, just not normally not as cold. I would say the temperatures we have at the moment are about 15 degrees (Fahrenheit) colder than what we usually have. Yesterday morning it was -4°F at 9 am when I walked to work.

Actually, here in Germany it is still ok, further East it is even colder. And the current temperatures are still something our houses are built for. Southern Europe is much worse off...

Thanks for the review of Mythos!

You are welcome! Might actually make a nice lunch spot for your group as well. As I said above, TS at Universal is not much more than CS.

My overall impression of Mythos was about the same. I'm glad we did it and nothing was bad, but not extraordinary either. I also had the fish tacos.

However, I must say that I would still put it on par with our dining experience at the 50's Prime Time, just cheaper. Overall, I am glad that we did it because it was a nice break. Maybe it would have been better to eat lunch a bit earlier over at the Studios...

Nice review of Mythos. Although, I expected more from them based on their website and what I've read about them. The theming looks spectacular though.

The theming is spectacular. I did not want to say that Mythos was bad. I think it is made up to sound like a signature restaurant, but that I found it wasn't. But as a casual dining restaurants, it was pleasant enough. And to be honest, most in theme park restaurants don't impress me.

But seriously, I think the guy vomiting is still nicer to look at than this Brussels landmark:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...eken_Pis.jpg/397px-Bruxelles_Manneken_Pis.jpg

I only posted the link because some people might think this a bit too obvious, so click on it at your own risk! But I can assure you that here in Europe we consider it art...

I think she had a very nice day and managed to escape the bitter frost we are experiencing here at the moment! :goodvibes

This is the little guy that they dress up to right? He's sent outfits from all over the world.... :rotfl: We are considering Brussels as an entry point on our trip. I may have to inquire of other things to see there...

And it's really weird you are having such cold weather. Like Glenn said you're having our weather and we are having yours! Crazy! It's been so nice we've been able to even grill out we made pork chops last night and steak over the weekend. :rotfl:I have to admit though that it has been rather nice... considering the horrible winters we have had here in Wisconsin the last 3 years.

Part 8: Lunch – a mythical one?

They seemed to be very busy in the restaurant and we had to wait for about 10 minutes for our table. The we were lead to our table which was really nice. The restaurant does look very spectacular inside:

DSC09410.jpg

DSC09411.jpg

This is one of the very few places where I took pictures of the food. Katharina had some fish tacos because the dish she originally wanted was out:

DSC09412.jpg

She wasn't too fond of them, but said that this was more her personal taste than that they were generally bad.

I opted for a spinach salad with blueberries and blue cheese with beef:

DSC09413.jpg

The beef was excellent, it tasted like two small filets. I was very impressed that I got such nice meat with my salad. The salad itself was lacking dressing for my taste. But then I am someone who likes rather more than less dressing on my salad. I never understood how people could eat a salad without any dressing – I feel I could then eat grass.

Overall it was an ok meal, not extraordinary, but decent quality and it was not expensive at all. Katharina's fish tacos were $12.50 and my salad was $11.25. Unfortunately our server was rather slow and while we often enjoy leisurely meals this time we didn't, I think also because at some point we were just getting rather cold from sitting inside the air-conditioned room. However, it gave us the chance for a nice break. If you compare table service and counter service prices at Universal, table service isn't that much more expensive and I am glad that we had planned for that lunch. However, I think next time I might want to try a different place (even though the menus are slightly similar at all the table service restaurants).

Next: More about IoA

I do like the theming of this restaurant... your salad looks delish I like more dressing as well on my salads.. I have to admit that fish tacos is something I wouldn't have ordered. Nice review thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

This is the little guy that they dress up to right? He's sent outfits from all over the world.... :rotfl: We are considering Brussels as an entry point on our trip. I may have to inquire of other things to see there...

Brussels is quite beautiful - at least in parts. There is a fantastic old market square and a lot of the inner city is very pretty. And they do have shops selling the most delicious chocolates on every corner (they are not cheap but so so good!). Brussels is also known for delicious food and beer.

The European quarter is rather odd, they just tore down the old city and built all these modern buildings in that area and feels rather dead in a way. So I would keep away from there.

And it's really weird you are having such cold weather. Like Glenn said you're having our weather and we are having yours! Crazy! It's been so nice we've been able to even grill out we made pork chops last night and steak over the weekend. :rotfl:I have to admit though that it has been rather nice... considering the horrible winters we have had here in Wisconsin the last 3 years

The weather is caused by a very strong high pressure area sitting over Siberia which now connected with another high pressure are above the Azores (some islands in the Atlantic, south-west of Portugal) which means a draft of cold air from Siberia can funnel through all of Europe. We do get this type of weather situation regularly in the summer and then it is very welcome because it means that the hot air from Russia (which does get hot in summer) can come to us. It blocks out all the wet warm (in summer cold) air from the Atlantic, therefore it is incredibly dry and mostly very sunny.

I do like the theming of this restaurant... your salad looks delish I like more dressing as well on my salads.. I have to admit that fish tacos is something I wouldn't have ordered. Nice review thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

Maybe I should just have asked for more dressing - I guess that would have made me happier... Also I was so excited about blueberries in my salad, but they did not add as much flavour as I had expected them to... :confused3

This made me remember another Belgian landmark: the giant troll who guarded one of the cities.:scared1:

Oh, didn't Glenn include this in his PTR???

Maybe I should just have asked for more dressing - I guess that would have made me happier... Also I was so excited about blueberries in my salad, but they did not add as much flavour as I had expected them to...

I always ask for more dressing on the side when ordering a salad... My favorite salad to make at home is tossed mixed greens with strawberries, blueberries, mandrin oranges, chopped pecans, red onion, and grilled chicken, topped with either a light poppy seed, or raspberry vinigrete dressing (I find these at Aldi ;)). YUM!

I'm hungry for lunch now... and it's only breakfast! :lmao:

I will for sure check out Brussels... My wheels are turning....

:lmao: I love the expression on the little guys face.

Sorry, I somehow missed your comment!! I think it is quite a fun fountain actually! :goodvibes

I always ask for more dressing on the side when ordering a salad... My favorite salad to make at home is tossed mixed greens with strawberries, blueberries, mandrin oranges, chopped pecans, red onion, and grilled chicken, topped with either a light poppy seed, or raspberry vinigrete dressing (I find these at Aldi ;)). YUM!

I'm hungry for lunch now... and it's only breakfast! :lmao:

I will for sure check out Brussels... My wheels are turning....

That's a good tip about ordering extra dressing. Maybe I will do that in the future!! Your favourite salad sounds delicious (well minus the red onions) but I can't imagine that Aldi here sells poppy seed dressing! Far too exotic!!

I am afraid that by the time you finally go on your trip you will have enough knowledge to fill ten trips to Europe! :goodvibes

I am afraid that by the time you finally go on your trip you will have enough knowledge to fill ten trips to Europe!

Well then I guess I'll have to come back at least 10 times! :rotfl: I really am a super over planner. I need to have all the info and steps planned before leaving home.

Well if you don't get poppy seed dressing I'll have to send you some from Aldi.. :rotfl:

Well then I guess I'll have to come back at least 10 times! :rotfl: I really am a super over planner. I need to have all the info and steps planned before leaving home.

Well if you don't get poppy seed dressing I'll have to send you some from Aldi.. :rotfl:

That's a great idea to come back to Europe ten times!! :thumbsup2

And I would be afraid of what would happen to the poppy seed dressing in the mail... But I might have a different (and more easy to mail) request. Will let you know via email! :goodvibes

Part 9: Do we want to get wet?

Our plan was now to see experience some more attractions at IoA and then end the day at WWoHP. I also had convinced Katharina to try a ride on the Hulk with me – of which we had a great view across the lake from where we were:

DSC09415.jpg

Since we were already next to WWoHP now, we decided to take the long way around the lake to get there. So from Lost Continent we walked back to Seuss Landing and explored there for a bit.

DSC09416.jpg

DSC09420.jpg

DSC09421.jpg

We had planned to see the Cat in the Hat – a dark ride. But unfortunately that was closed that day. I spent quite some time in the shops there. And ended up getting a very cute Cat in the Hat t-shirt which has quickly become one of my favourite t-shirts. We also some Dr Seuss characters around:

DSC09417.jpg

We also saw the Cat – and I wanted to get my picture taken with him. So Katharina did just that. But the Cat kept purring into my ear while Katharina took our picture so I had to laugh so much about it that I look like I am in real pain on these pictures. So you won't get to see them – Sorry!

From there we moved through Port of Entry again to end up in Marvel Super Hero Island:

DSC09422.jpg

Our first destination was the Hulk. Katharina survived it!

DSC09423.jpg

DSC09424.jpg

DSC09425.jpg

As you can see, the sky is still threatening dark. We really expected the down pour to start any minute...

We continued along the water and enjoyed the views across the lake:

DSC09426.jpg

DSC09427.jpg

DSC09428.jpg

The views are something which makes this park so different. Most of the Disney parks are much more about keeping you within your themed environment and eliminate views of things which aren't appropriate to the theming around you. I think Epcot World Showcase is the only place with views, but then it is all thematically connected. Here you can see all different type of areas.

We also went on a second ride on Superman. That ride really is fantastic!

We then continued on to Toon Lagoon. I had originally planned that we go on all the water rides. We had a change of clothes with us and it was reasonably warm. However, after getting slightly wet on Splash Mountain Katharina decided that she does not enjoy getting wet on theme park attractions. So she really wasn't wanting to get on those. Especially when we saw that the people getting off were indeed soaked. And considering that there was no sun out and that it was incredibly humid I was quite afraid that there was no chance of drying once we were wet. The air did not feel like it could take any more humidity.... So I had to admit that she was right and chickened out of the water rides as well... Another thing for the next trip! But we did take some pictures in that area:

DSC09429.jpg

DSC09430.jpg

DSC09431.jpg

DSC09432.jpg

We browsed through the stores here, they had some really cute merchandise there as well. As I said before, every area has the merchandise which fits to the franchise it is themed after. But since most places are about well know characters that is also easy to do.

Our next stop was then Jurassic Park.

DSC09433.jpg

Here we decided to be brave and go on the water ride – and to use each one of the many rain ponchos I had brought for the trip (we had packed several for that day).

DSC09434.jpg

DSC09435.jpg

I felt that this ride was very short. I kind of liked the start, but then “things went wrong” - but somehow I feel that it lacked something which really was building the tension. Somehow there wasn't really that much to this ride. So, while I thought some of it was rather cool, it definitely was one of the weaker experiences to me.

Next: More Butterbeer??

Our plan was now to see experience some more attractions at IoA and then end the day at WWoHP. I also had convinced Katharina to try a ride on the Hulk with me

Lauren loves rollercoasters so I'm sure we'll be going on this. Are the spiderman and superman coasters at IoA also, or the other park?

DSC09425.jpg

As you can see, the sky is still threatening dark. We really expected the down pour to start any minute...

I love this picture! I'm sure the guy is taking a picture of something off in the distance, but it looks like he's shooting right up that other guys' nose!

The views are something which makes this park so different. Most of the Disney parks are much more about keeping you within your themed environment and eliminate views of things which aren't appropriate to the theming around you. I think Epcot World Showcase is the only place with views, but then it is all thematically connected. Here you can see all different type of areas.

Interesting observation. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

Whoa, look at that plate of burgers. No wonder Europeans think American portion sizes are too big. ;)

Looking forward to more Potter!

Happy Birthday Katharina!! Hope you have a Magical Day!!! :cake: party:

Thank you! I did habe a great day.
As Magdalene mentioned we escaped the winter again and spend the day a Tropical Islands, I felt really warm afterwards... for about an hour :lmao:

Part 8: Lunch – a mythical one?

This is one of the very few places where I took pictures of the food. Katharina had some fish tacos because the dish she originally wanted was out:

She wasn't too fond of them, but said that this was more her personal taste than that they were generally bad.

I wanted to have some fish dish originally, so I ended up with the fish tacos and I guess I was just very disappointed I didn't get the original one.

party::bday:party: Katharina. Hope you had a wonderfu lday and you all are staying warm. :cold:

Thank you!

But I might have a different (and more easy to mail) request. Will let you know via email!

I anxiously await your email... :) I wonder what it will be about???

Ummmm I don't think so. I used to love coasters and as I've gotten older I've become more and more frightened of them, I don't think I could do this one a little to big for me....:eek:

Oh you could do some fun photo's with this! Love it!

The water rides looked like so much fun! I agree I would have been reluctant to ride with it being so humid. I hate that damp moist feeling...

Great update! Someday we'll get there. I hope..

I'm glad you both survived the Hulk, we love that coaster. You do get SOAKED on some of those rides so probably the right call, you wouldn't have dried out (as Evan and Eric can attest).

There is some great merch at the park, I do love the themed stuff and Seuss had tons of wonderful things!

Our plan was now to see experience some more attractions at IoA and then end the day at WWoHP. I also had convinced Katharina to try a ride on the Hulk with me – of which we had a great view across the lake from where we were:

DSC09415.jpg

Yeah, you two go ahead. Have fun. :rotfl:

And ended up getting a very cute Cat in the Hat t-shirt which has quickly become one of my favourite t-shirts.

But not a hat? :confused3

But the Cat kept purring into my ear while Katharina took our picture so I had to laugh so much about it that I look like I am in real pain on these pictures. So you won't get to see them – Sorry!

:sad1:

So I had to admit that she was right and chickened out of the water rides as well...

:sad1::sad1:

Here we decided to be brave and go on the water ride – and to use each one of the many rain ponchos I had brought for the trip (we had packed several for that day).

Sounds like you could have done the water rides...:rolleyes1

I felt that this ride was very short. I kind of liked the start, but then “things went wrong” - but somehow I feel that it lacked something which really was building the tension. Somehow there wasn't really that much to this ride. So, while I thought some of it was rather cool, it definitely was one of the weaker experiences to me.

Sorry it wasn't more fun. I like the idea of more WWOHP!

I love this picture! I'm sure the guy is taking a picture of something off in the distance, but it looks like he's shooting right up that other guys' nose!

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Hi Magdalene & Katharina ... LOVE the TR, I'm just getting caught up and immediately went to two of your posts:

1st, thank you thank you thank you for the review you gave of MNSSHP ... we'll be at Disney from Oct 20 to 27 of this year and that is one thing I'm really wrestling over. I know they'd enjoy (at age 10) running to the different candy stations ... they would want to skip and character lines (just not their thing to wait in line for the characters) ... they'd enjoy the Halloween theming ... the Hallowishes fireworks - based on your description - would be their favorite part of it. As for the parade, that's the "x-factor" - my kids do enjoy a good parade, but on previous Disney trips, they've always chosen "ride more rides" over sitting down to watch a parade.

So a question posed to you (and anyone else who might want to weigh in) ... does it seem like the extra cost would be worth if for me, Jamie, and the triplets to attend MNSSHP?

The second "chapter" I read in your TR was the last one reviewing your time at IoA. I have to admit, I have NEVER considered leaving Disney property casting back across all of my trips to WDW ... but between your pictures and reading Glennbo's plans, my mind is being tugged ... do we decrease our Disney park days by 1 and make the sojourn?

Oh ... I'm "in" for your TR ... not sure how much more is left to add, but Catching Up will sure be a blast!!:thumbsup2

Lauren loves rollercoasters so I'm sure we'll be going on this. Are the spiderman and superman coasters at IoA also, or the other park?

If you go on the Hulk: try to get one of the rows towards the front. It can be a it rough and in my experience coasters are always smoother towards the front. I would have loved to get into the first row, but there is a separate line for that and we did not want to wait - especially since all other rows were a walk on.

Spiderman is not a coaster, but more a dark ride like maybe Dinosaur.

And there isn't anything with Superman...

The other coasters at Uni are:

at IoA: Dragon Challenge which is in WWoHP - that's actually two coasters. And then Flight of the Hippogriff which we did not go on, it is a kiddie coaster.

at Studios: Mummy and Rip Ride Rockit. The later one appears to have a lot of technical difficulties. Mummy is a great coaster, but I think the ones at IoA are great in itself and should be enough for one park day!

Yes, I thought about adding a comment when posting it, but then did not have any ideas about what to say. But I think it is a very funny pictures!! :goodvibes

Interesting observation. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

Very often you can walk towards the water front, but that is not the main walkway. We did that a few times and it was fun to see across the lagoon.

I really like it because it feels like a unique concept. I think that's what I like about IoA, it does not feel at all like a clone of Disney, but a theme park with its own creative concept. And therefore it offers something which Disney does not have.

Whoa, look at that plate of burgers. No wonder Europeans think American portion sizes are too big. ;)

:rotfl:

There were quite a few funny props around!

Looking forward to more Potter!

Will follow shortly!

Ummmm I don't think so. I used to love coasters and as I've gotten older I've become more and more frightened of them, I don't think I could do this one a little to big for me....:eek:

I am sorry about that. For me it is just the opposite, I used to be frightened of coasters, but the older I got and the more I had been on them, the less frightened I am.

However, I think the Hulk looks scarier than it is.

Oh you could do some fun photo's with this! Love it!

Yes! At first I was a bit annoyed that this woman was sitting there, kind of "destroying" my picture. But now I think, she actually adds something to it.

The water rides looked like so much fun! I agree I would have been reluctant to ride with it being so humid. I hate that damp moist feeling...

Great update! Someday we'll get there. I hope..

I am certain that we would have spent the rest of the day being soaking wet. My plan is that on my next trip I will stay a few nights at one of the Universal resorts, so I can get on the water rides just before I head back to the hotel for a swim or so...

I am glad you liked the update! And Universal isn't going anywhere, so I am sure that at some point in the future you will get there! :goodvibes

I'm glad you both survived the Hulk, we love that coaster. You do get SOAKED on some of those rides so probably the right call, you wouldn't have dried out (as Evan and Eric can attest).

There is some great merch at the park, I do love the themed stuff and Seuss had tons of wonderful things!

The Hulk was great! I think it is one of my overall favourite coasters now - but actually I loved all the coasters at Universal.

And yes, I am sure that the only way to do those water rides is staying at the hotel and being able to return there for a shower immediately after getting soaked on them!

Seuss was really great, there was lots of wonderful stuff there. I got a very cute cup for my friend's son and they had lots of other cute kids stuff there, too.

Yeah, you two go ahead. Have fun. :rotfl:

You probably won't believe it if I tell you that the Hulk looks worse than it is... ;)

But not a hat? :confused3

No, I am not a cat, so I don't need a hat! :goodvibes

Sounds like you could have done the water rides...:rolleyes1

You did not see the level of wetness the people coming off those rides had!!! Jurassic Park is more a ride which sprinkles water on you compared to those rides which soak you.

Sorry it wasn't more fun. I like the idea of more WWOHP!

More WWoHP coming up shortly!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter