A Birthday Trip without a Birthday - 2/16: Conclusion and Bonus Birthday Tea

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by Flossbolna, Mar 19, 2011.

1. englishrose47

englishrose47 DIS Veteran

In 2 days I too wil be saying ONE MONTH!!! Dan too!!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PracPerfPatricia

PracPerfPatricia DIS Veteran

Hey Magdalene,

So excited for you that your trip is getting so close!...:goodvibes

I am going to DWD and Universal in March so I am really curious to see your thoughts on the rides and restaurants...

I've always wished that they would add an additional restaurant to the German Pavilion...something a little authentic...

If they didn't want to commit to an entire full service restaurant...I think a nice German style coffee house might have been nice...I agree that the new bakery in Germany while perhaps tasty-although I haven't experienced it yet-looks more American than German...

It would have been interested to really have a kind of German coffee house with a turn of the century decor... with authentic German pastry...Cupcakes aren't really German as far as I know...:confused3

hmmm...or am I confused were the coffee houses Austrian or where they German also?

4. englishrose47

Today is ONE MONTH day for me !!!!!:banana::banana:

5. All7OfUs

All7OfUs <font color=darkorchid>We too are so very NOT into

ONE MONTH, (well actually a little less now)!!!!

I think changes are inevitable in every plan as you get closer. What changes I'm seeing look great! Going budget over WAY-over-priced is never a bad thing. The price increase at Boma is outrageous, and I'm so glad I tried it before it went up to $39 a head! WOW! :scared1:

You're right- Kona looks like a way better deal than 'Ohaha. As you know, while I liked it, it wasn't spectacular, and you can probably get most of what's "over there" too.

Anyway, counting down with you!!!

6. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

One month away! Awesome! :woohoo: (can I come?) :rotfl2:

I think you will be very happy with Kona Cafe for dinner. Julie and I really enjoyed it (just be ready for a loud atmosphere, that's all).

7. jenb1023

jenb1023 DIS Veteran

Sounds like you are ready to go! It will be here before you know it! :cheer2::woohoo::yay::banana:

8. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

The price for Cape May is scary, I wouldn't do it if not on the dining plan I don't think. Very cool about the DVC discount at the Swolphin locations, I've heard good things about Fresh.

The BC Marketplace isn't a food court but it's not bad for a deluxe CS.

9. englishrose47

Hoping everything is okay as you haven't been on the boards for a while !!I have been posting my plans and hoping we can set a definate meet!!!!!

10. Kleese

Kleese Mouseketeer

It's been so long since I've been to the boards that today was my catch up day for your thread. I was so happy to hear about Harry Potter! I can't wait to hear about all of it. It seems that you have left nothing out of your birthday celebration and I'm so happy for the both of us because I know you will tell us all about it :rolleyes1 I am very sad though that I can't seem to pull up your trip pics and will have to try again from another computer:badpc:. I hope that is the trouble because I would hate to miss your wonderful pictures. I love to live through you. I can see so many places that otherwise I would never be able to and for that I am thankful.:cloud9:

Hope all is well over there in Germany :goodvibes it's good to be back on and reading your posts. You don't have much longer now and I'm sure you both can't stop smiling thinking about how much fun your going to have:jumping1:

11. Flossbolna

Flossbolna Sea days are just so relaxing!

Hi everyone!

I meant to update the PTR yesterday evening, but then my phone line died... The phone is working again, but still no internet... :sad2:

There is some exciting planning news to share: longer park hours (Rosie, that will affect you as well, am going to post on your PTR as well!) for October. Especially one day with a 7pm closing at AK. Since sunset is at 7pm while we are there, this is a rare chance: experience AK at twilight! So, we are most likely changing a few things around...

Hopefully the internet will work again during the weekend so I can get the update done then - as well as get some more DLP pictures up for you. We are still missing one land at DLP, the whole of Walt Disney Studios (don't get excited about that, visually it is the only park Disney opened which truly can be called ugly!!), the hotels and the meals! Wow, I really need to start working on that to get it done within the next 19 days!! :banana:

12. lovealldisney

lovealldisney Lover of all things Disney!

19 days! :eek: WOW time really has flown by! Can't wait to see the pictures! :)

13. Flossbolna

Hi everyone, it seems like time is flying and I still have lots of comments from you guys which I never replied to! Sorry!! I try to be better with keeping up here for the last 13 days!! I still want to post the rest of the DLP pictures before the trip and I have a special Germany update which I want to do for you - but I need to get the pictures for that first!!

But, let's start replying!

I recently heard from some people who were very pleased with the service, especially at the Universal hotels. Maybe they are improving? :goodvibes

The labyrinth has always been one of my favourite attractions - well in the sense as the Peoplemover is one of my favourites at MK, not horribly exciting, but a very fun diversion.

Yes, that is exactly it! :goodvibes

14. Flossbolna

Christine, it was great to see your long post! I have phases when I am more a reader than a writer here on the DIS as well - and spending time with your granddaughter is the best excuse you can have! :goodvibes

I know a few people who know DL and DLP very well and the way they put it is that they say DL is more charming while DLP is more beautiful. I have only been at DL twice, but it is a very wonderful place and I can see why it is your favourite!

Next year should be an excellent year for a visit to DLP. They have a massive renovation scheme going on at the moment for the 20th anniversary next year when they will have a brand new night time show with fountains and lights installed at the Central Plaza. Sounds wonderful!

I am feeling a bit guilty about "celebrating" my birthday there, but I think it will still be fun, even if it is early! Thanks for the encouragement! :thumbsup2

Glad you liked them! I have read comments about how the labyrinth only could work in Europe, but not in the US regularly and am always surprised about that. :confused3

I think you will have the greatest fun at Universal. I have done a bit more research about it and am getting very excited about that part of our trip!

No, there wasn't any toad in the hole being served! :rotfl: And I know what it is: sausages baked in batter (like the yorkshire pudding batter) - do you cook it at home?

15. Flossbolna

I am so sorry to miss your wonderful meet! And I am feeling very guilty that I still haven't made it back to the AKL thread!! :guilty: I hope I can remedy that soon! In the meantime, I hope all of you have a fantastic trip!! :cool1:

16. Flossbolna

I am glad that you enjoyed them! It is very different from the Magic Kingdom, but I really hope that the new Fantasyland will bring some of that level of detail to the MK as well! :goodvibes

There is an egg toad in the whole?? I only know the one with sausages...

First, you are absolutely right about the crown! I was so surprised when I saw that it was missing there...

And yes, DLP went all out with its Fantasyland. I think they just took everything they had learned before to create the most beautiful park of them all at a time when they were still thinking big and taking huge risks. Some people claim that they overspent on the park and that caused the financial troubles. But the reality is more difficult - they overbuilt the hotel capacity and I think they also had not very good consultants about cultural differences between Europeans (and then this is a very varied bunch of people as well!) and Americans. They overestimated spending on merchandise by far because most Europeans don't see shopping as a vacations past-time. :confused3

Glad that you enjoyed them!! I really need to upload the next bunch soon! I am sure you will love Discoveryland!

17. Flossbolna

Glad that everyone is enjoying the pictures!!

I think only very few people still call it EuroDisney - I think it changed its name in 1994?? But I think it might have stuck with some people just for tradition's sake? :goodvibes And people who don't know anything about it might still only know about it from when it was opened, so haven't picked up on the name change...

That's a good point!! But I am always carrying some cash because I am horribly afraid that I might end up in a situation where I can't pay because my cards aren't accepted. Happened to me once in Canada when somehow the bank connection between Canada and Europe failed and hence all Canadian ATMs weren't able to recognize my card...

Yes, make sure to really study the DVC perks, there are some really interesting dining discounts! :thumbsup2

Time is flying!! I think tomorrow you and Dan can say two weeks!! :woohoo:

18. podsnel

podsnel <font color=blue>just skippin' around, amusing mys

I'm excited for you, I'm excited for Katherina, I'm excited for Rosie! :dance3:

I'm excited for you all to come back and write wonderful TRs to get me excited for my turn in November!:yay:

I'm really interested to hear what you think of the food court over there at the Swalphin- I really have not seen much written about it, and I do seem to spend alot of time over there at that Epcot area....:woohoo:

My friend Evie just got to BWV with her family today- I am thrilled for them, hoping they have an incredible time!:goodvibes

19. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

13 days now!!!

If you can make AK for EMH with sunset at that time, you must ride EE in the dark. It is amazing!!!!

20. podsnel

podsnel <font color=blue>just skippin' around, amusing mys

I AGREE!!!! EE in the dark is a completely different ride- it takes it up about 10 notches! :thumbsup2

21. englishrose47

We are getting sooo close !!Any word on a Meet yet Magdalena !! I have pretyy much finished up my plans and will just be commenting on the packing and finding out about my "Guys "" !!

I too have never heard of Egg in the Hole !!Scotch Eggs yes !!:confused3But it was Marv so who knows !!!!:rotfl2: Did he say if you need a Wooden Spoon to make it !!!!:lmao: