A Bird's Eye View of London and Paris March 2012 TR NEW! The END 1/12 p35

Hi Scott and :welcome: I'm glad you're enjoying the report! I love going through all the pictures - it makes me realize we really did go!! I've got hundreds of pictures - more DLP, Paris at night and a gazillion from our time in London are still to come!
Tell me about your trip! Where did you stay? How long were you there?

We stayed 5 nights in London at the Bailey's Millenium Hotel in Kensington. It was great, the tube right across the street and so easy to get around.

Paris we stayed here.

http://bersolys-paris-hotel.com/

It was a great boutique hotel. We were on the 5th floor (top) but the elevator only went to the 4th. Had to walk a flight up but no problem and only 3 rooms up there which we had 2 of.

DLP we did only 1 day. Took the train from Paris and spent the day there. Gorgeous park.

Did versailles for a day. We were right across the river from the Louvre.

It was a wonderful trip. We were there also on a Friday night and saw all the Rollerblades. That was fun.

We stayed 5 nights in London at the Bailey's Millenium Hotel in Kensington. It was great, the tube right across the street and so easy to get around.

Paris we stayed here.

http://bersolys-paris-hotel.com/

It was a great boutique hotel. We were on the 5th floor (top) but the elevator only went to the 4th. Had to walk a flight up but no problem and only 3 rooms up there which we had 2 of.

DLP we did only 1 day. Took the train from Paris and spent the day there. Gorgeous park.

Did versailles for a day. We were right across the river from the Louvre.

It was a wonderful trip. We were there also on a Friday night and saw all the Rollerblades. That was fun.

That sounds like a fabulous trip!! I love that hotel in Paris - it's beautiful!! Next time I go I want to stay in the city (I imagine my children will be a lot older then!) I love how those cities are so easy to get around! It makes being a tourist so much easier!

Beautiful view Sheree! Beautiful photos. :goodvibes

All ready for October?!

Thanks Kelli - I wish it was sooner, although I am not ready! I'm trying to find some denim shorts - All the fall stuff is out now. I'm hoping to get to the outlets this weekend and get some deals.

I've got some lists organized and a loose plan of days. We're going to try to "take it easy" this trip - we'll see how it goes! I think it will depend on crowds.
I'll share my daily plans later - I really should get this thing moving so I can finish before October!!! Hopefully we can meet up somewhere!

Thanks Kelli - I wish it was sooner, although I am not ready! I'm trying to find some denim shorts - All the fall stuff is out now. I'm hoping to get to the outlets this weekend and get some deals.

I've got some lists organized and a loose plan of days. We're going to try to "take it easy" this trip - we'll see how it goes! I think it will depend on crowds.
I'll share my daily plans later - I really should get this thing moving so I can finish before October!!! Hopefully we can meet up somewhere!

have you been to Target yet? I took Gracie a few days ago~ she has hit a growth spurt and had hardly ANYTHING that fit..I knew she would be out of shorts by vacation time and we wouldn't be able to find any then...so, we got several...I didn't look at the ladies stuff, but the kids had a fair amount of shorts left, so maybe you can still find some!

We looked at the counter service place for lunch, but nothing really appealed and it was very expensive. (not surprisingly)
DSCN5247.jpg

I'm not sure if this was from up in the tower or not. I remember they had GIANT jars of Nutella at a lot of places. If not in the tower, it was at the snack place down where we got Sarah a treat after our tower visit.

We shopped – lots of pics for you here – and the girls bought themselves and their friends little Eiffel Tower statues. I bought a couple magnets (one for my mom).

Who needs a souvenir? Look what I brought for all of you!
DSCN5239.jpg

DSCN5240.jpg

DSCN5242.jpg

I wasn't sure I was allowed to take pictures, so I just held the camera in front of me (it was around my neck) and snapped away surreptitiously. So I had no idea what was going to be in these shots!

DSCN5241.jpg

DSCN5243.jpg

I got a couple of those little rectangle magnets.

DSCN5245.jpg

DSCN5246.jpg

Did anybody see anything they wanted? I could have bought about 100 things in there!

When we finally went back down, it started raining. We finally got Sarah some ice cream that she had so desperately wanted at DLP. We got some snacks to take on the boat with us too.
DSCN5248.jpg

Our river cruise stop was right near the tower, so we headed over there. Thankfully, the boat was covered. So while we were dry, it wasn’t good for taking pictures since the windows were all wet! But we had audio guides and got lots of interesting information about the things along the River Seine.
On the boat:
100_0869.jpg

100_0868.jpg

Some shots from the boat - through the glass!

DSCN5250.jpg

DSCN5252.jpg

DSCN5251.jpg

DSCN5254.jpg

Yup - still raining! Well, a rainy day in Paris is better than a sunny day at work? Or a rainy day at home? something like that.
DSCN5256.jpg

DSCN5255.jpg

DSCN5257.jpg

DSCN5259.jpg

DSCN5258.jpg

DSCN5260.jpg

DSCN5261.jpg

That's where I want to go next!! Notre Dame! Now how will I get there? The red dot was on the boat, not my picture!

DSCN5263.jpg

I wish I could remember what many of these buildings were - they did have a great audio guide that told us, and a lot of them were related to war, church, politics, memorials...you get the idea. Hard to remember!
cont. in next post...

cont.
DSCN5262.jpg

again with the dot!

DSCN5265.jpg

Eagle liked the boat ride too!
DSCN5266.jpg

DSCN5268.jpg

Itty bitty cars - you need them with all the crazy traffic there!
DSCN5272.jpg

DSCN5271.jpg

Just a quick flashback to the Louvre- I found these pictures of us trying to find our way out! I think Sarah or Paige took these.
Studying the map
100_0892.jpg

100_0891.jpg

Isn't he quite the actor?

Okay - back to the Seine
There were about 3 bridges where there were padlocks on the fences. I had heard about these (I thought there was one main one) where people write their names, initials, or date on the lock, put it on the fence and throw the keys in the Seine. It’s supposed to signify your love of Paris and that you will return someday. I wanted to do this and bought a lock the day we left for Europe for this purpose. Obviously, I’d have to wait since we were UNDER the bridges. ☺

When we returned to the dock, we took a last look at the Eiffel Tower (for the day) and went back to the bus stop. We were going to head back toward the Louvre and try to get to Notre Dame. We stopped to get the girls some food – any guesses where they ate? (note I said “they”).

anyone?

DSCN5273.jpg

Shocked, aren't you?

Yup. McDonald’s! The only good thing was that they had a little café part in there too. So I got a coffee (I was kind of cold) and they had macaroons!! So I bought a selection of those to take back to DLP with me and saved them for later. I had heard about a place where they are the original macaroon bakers, but didn’t have time to find it, so this was good enough for me!

Next up - Ou est Notre Dame?

have you been to Target yet? I took Gracie a few days ago~ she has hit a growth spurt and had hardly ANYTHING that fit..I knew she would be out of shorts by vacation time and we wouldn't be able to find any then...so, we got several...I didn't look at the ladies stuff, but the kids had a fair amount of shorts left, so maybe you can still find some!

Well, of course I've BEEN to Target - we go there almost every day it seems! HA! But I haven't checked their shorts yet - I bet there's some on clearance! Maybe today!! Thanks for reminding me of the obvious choice!!

Bummer about the rain and overpriced fast food. Golden Arches can come in handy even when you don't want them to.

Love your Louvre Map pic but there is something creepy about that red dot!

i figured you had been there!!
I love that building in the picture right after the last one with Eagle...have no clue what it is,but it's Fabulous and I would live in it!

I read your update this morning when I could still see pics, however that was hours ago. :headache: I do remember rain. :rotfl: But despite the rain, the boat tour looked fabulous. What wonderful history and amazing sights!

I also loved all the cool souvies.

And, I see you have arranged your spring break at HHI. I debated back and forth between a March 10th arrival and a March 17th arrival. We decided to go with the 3/17 arrival (Denny preference), so I will be just missing you. :headache: Right now we are staying 5 nights in a studio unless our friends join us. In which case, I will change it to a 2BR. Really looking forward to visiting again since I had such a great time last fall. :thumbsup2

I do have a restaurant suggestion for you - The Old Fort Pub (or Inn). It's on the intercoastal. The sunset was outstanding. It's more a couples thing. The food was excellent and they were very nice. A couple of our meals were in Charleston and Savannah, but we did eat at one restaurant within walking distance. There are a variety of places that you can walk to.

Nice update. :) Great pics as always! Too bad it was raining for you guys. I sure hope you got some nice weather somewhere in this trip!!

All the souvenirs at the Eiffel Tower were so cool! :cool1: Can't wait to see what's up next....popcorn::

I read your update this morning when I could still see pics, however that was hours ago. :headache: I do remember rain. :rotfl: But despite the rain, the boat tour looked fabulous. What wonderful history and amazing sights!

I also loved all the cool souvies.

And, I see you have arranged your spring break at HHI. I debated back and forth between a March 10th arrival and a March 17th arrival. We decided to go with the 3/17 arrival (Denny preference), so I will be just missing you. :headache: Right now we are staying 5 nights in a studio unless our friends join us. In which case, I will change it to a 2BR. Really looking forward to visiting again since I had such a great time last fall. :thumbsup2

I do have a restaurant suggestion for you - The Old Fort Pub (or Inn). It's on the intercoastal. The sunset was outstanding. It's more a couples thing. The food was excellent and they were very nice. A couple of our meals were in Charleston and Savannah, but we did eat at one restaurant within walking distance. There are a variety of places that you can walk to.

Thanks Mary Ellen! There were a lot of amazing sights - even in the rain!!
Yeah, our HHI trip is now booked!! We may have an issue with our dates because of a potential dance competition on March 9 and 10, but it may get moved. Our HHI arrival date is set for 3/11. I'm sorry we'll miss you! I went back and reread your TR so I could make notes about the trip! I wrote down the Old Fort Pub!

Nice update. :) Great pics as always! Too bad it was raining for you guys. I sure hope you got some nice weather somewhere in this trip!!

All the souvenirs at the Eiffel Tower were so cool! :cool1: Can't wait to see what's up next....popcorn::

Thanks Shelly! We did get bette weather - I've got the pictures to prove it coming up!
Probably one more update for our day in Paris and then more DLP, and Paris at night too!

Im loving reading this report. Im from Northern England but have had lots of trips to London in the past couple of years so loved seeing all the pictures. I also LOVE Paris - its one of my favourite places so again am enjoying seeing all the pics.

I love your enthusiasm and the way you are describing everything - little details that a lot of people miss - you can tell that you really really enjoyed your trip to Europe.

Ive been to Paris several times and even worked there for 4 months but I never knew about the locks on the bridge - something new to look for next time I go.

The CM at Buzz was probably telling you to hurry up - depechez vous means hurry up she was probably shortening it to depechez (vous means you so you literally say hurry yourself up)

Great update and pics.

I loved the river. Sorry it rained. I never heard of that thing with the locks. Interesting.

Im loving reading this report. Im from Northern England but have had lots of trips to London in the past couple of years so loved seeing all the pictures. I also LOVE Paris - its one of my favourite places so again am enjoying seeing all the pics.

I love your enthusiasm and the way you are describing everything - little details that a lot of people miss - you can tell that you really really enjoyed your trip to Europe.

Ive been to Paris several times and even worked there for 4 months but I never knew about the locks on the bridge - something new to look for next time I go.

The CM at Buzz was probably telling you to hurry up - depechez vous means hurry up she was probably shortening it to depechez (vous means you so you literally say hurry yourself up)

:welcome: and THANK YOU for the French lesson!!! I am sure you're right!
I heard about the locks on the bridges on a DIS unplugged podcast - Kevin mentioned it. I read a bit more about it in a guide book.
We were so excited about this trip! We'd traveled a bit, but never anything this huge. I really wanted to make the most of it - I'd go back and spend more time in Paris for sure!

Great update and pics.

I loved the river. Sorry it rained. I never heard of that thing with the locks. Interesting.

Thanks! Yeah, the rain was a bit of a bummer - I'm sure the pictures would be better with blue skies! The river ride was a great thing. It gave a lot of historical information (which I wish I'd retained better!) and such great views of some cool buildings.

See above response on the locks.

One more thing today:
ONE YEAR FROM TODAY WE SET SAIL FOR ALASKA!!!!
:yay::cool1::cheer2:

How fun to go to Alaska!! Girl, you travel as much as I want to!!! I can't wait to hear all the details!!!!! And your Oct trip is coming up quick!!! We are at 83 days today... are you exactly 30 ahead of me? I forget,....it's probably right there in your ticker!:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter