999 Meals, But There's Room for 1,000 - An April 2016 Dining Report - Complete/New DR Link - 10/16

Happy to hear the 4th was good!

Sci-fi is a good go to and even if it is boring I feel as if HS is lacking in good options, so it's nice there is one good fall back.

Haha! I am so tempted to try Beverly at club cool, but then I see these faces and I think bad idea! Via Napoli yum! I had pizza every day this weekend and this sill made me want more pizza!!

Priceless Beverly faces! I'm not sure where on the Dis I mentioned this, but last Oct. I had my nephews try Beverly when we all went to the Coca-Cola Factory in Atlanta. Of course my boys knew it's "secret" so they kept straight faces while their cousins tried it; their reactions were similar to your crew!

I need to get back to VN since I didn't get to enjoy our dinner there last Nov. thanks to that stomach bug :crazy2: And since I don't have it on the schedule for this November, I now have an idea..........:scratchin

Those pizzas from Via Napoli look amazing - I'm so glad I made an ADR for it on our next trip!

Those expressions of everyone trying the Beverly are so funny!

Via Napoli is one of my favorites too. It is so hard to find good pizza here in FL and this just hits the spot!! So exciting you're going back next month! Love those Beverly faces!!!

Great reviews, as always

We are finally, finally going to hit Via Napoli next month. It's been on my to-do list forever!!:banana:

I've decided to add Via Napoli to our trip too! After reading about it on your report, and @hokieinpa's report, as well as hearing from my co-worker, I've decided to do it! :)

Yes we are staying here in San Antonio, just building north of town in this adorable town called Boerne.
Good to hear! With the hubby in the military was hoping you were getting to stay put.

Ohhhh, your pizza! If (and this is a very big if) my lovely DH and I manage to sneak in a 4 day trip after New Years, that pizza and I will become better acquainted! Looking forward to the next installment!
Fingers crossed for you that acquaintance is made!
So my quote thingy didn't quote the whole phrase for some reason but the Beverly..:rotfl2: I haven't had the cajones yet to try it
This was Casey's 3rd or 4th time trying it, guess she is just a gluten for punishment. And of course we just let the other 2 find their way there. I couldn't have scripted better reactions

I think I've said this before but this is exactly what I would order! Throw some chicken on that baby and I'd be in heaven. Can you even add chicken???
I think chicken is one of the options you can add. And if not just order some chicken parm on the side and eat it all together :-)

Omg I said it on your last review, the pizza at via Napoli is to die for and I can not wait to try it with arugula! Genius!!
I laugh at Ep-A-cot because this is what my 5 yo calls it! Lol
Everything with arugula is genius :D And it totally sounds like we have the same 5 year old. She is slowing figuring out the right name for things but thankfully Ep-A-Cot is still in the mix

I'm really paying attention to your WL photos since I am kmfx that we get to stay there in June! I love the look of the place. Sorry if I already mentioned that...lol.
I didn't get that many pics of the resort, but it is absolute perfection. I'm not even a wilderness type girl but you truly can't beat the total escape from reality the lodge offers.

I've heard so many good things about Via Napoli but I'm just not sure we can fit it in on the trip. Looking at my tentative schedule (yes, I already have one for June 2017...lol), I might could trade it for our Cape May breakfast. Hmmmm.....
Of course you have a schedule for a year from now. :PWhy wouldn't you :confused3

This may be a silly question, but just how truffle-y is that Carciofi pizza? I adore everything else on it (and like your addition of the arugula!) but wonder about it being overwhelmed by the truffle oil. Do you need to be a truffle lover for this one, or is it sufficient to be a truffle liker? ;)
Now I love all things truffle, so there is no such think as too truffle-y (did we make up a new world) to me. The flavor is definitely there but I wouldn't say its overwhelming. I could actually do with some more if that helps

3 fireworks in one night IS pretty epic:thumbsup2 So glad everyone enjoyed the pizza.
Epic indeed! Totally unplanned yet complete perfection

You had much better luck at Sci Fi than we have the past few visits. It is on our 'never again' list right now although I am sure that we will end up back there some day.

Much more broccoli rabe on your DH's pizza than they gave me! His looks delicious! DS's GF and I will be heading to Via Napoli on Friday. Hope we have an experience more like yours than our trip in May! I believe we are going to give your pizza a try!
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that about SciFi. Think we've been on almost every trip since Casey was born (which is now up to 6, think I have a problem) and we've never been disappointed. Can't wait to hear how your trip saws

Kari, I just love your trip reports. We vacation very similarly! :drinking1 You just added a review of one of my favorites - Via Napoli, which unfortunately I have been unable to get an ADR for in October :sad1:

We were there same time in April for Star Wars half. Fun weekend! We didn't have our kids so it was a different kind of WDW trip for us. :)
Ah, thanks so much. Love anyone who appreciates lot of this popcorn:: and more of this :drinking1 I'm sure your kids less trip was much different than ours, though for 2 parents with grandparents and a kid in tow I think we do pretty good in the beverage department :drinking1

I don't know how often you find yourself over the American Legion Bridge but Montgomery Mall now has Naples, which is owned by the same folks as Via Napoli and has a very, very, very similar menu.
Thanks for the tip. I used to work in Bethesda so i found myself on the bridge pretty often but sadly not so much these days. I've heard of naples and we've talked about going over there on a weekend, but so far traffic on 66 has won out over via napoli like pizza :-)

Hey Kari! Finally caught up on your report. Awesome job as always!

That is so awesome that your hubby did the Star Wars half marathon! Very impressive. Looks like he had a blast. I love the pic of him too. I would totally do that with a pic like that of Rob. I would have it everywhere.

You definitely got a little Disney food pixie dust with the free Starbucks and your FIL's double waffle day. That pic of him is great!

And I am cracking up with the Beverly pics. Very well timed and well captured reactions. :laughing:
Hi there Jeri Springs! :-) Jason' marathon was very impressive indeed, but being the "supportive" wife I am I focus more on his beautiful photo vice his accomplishment.

I've got quite the hankering for some Carciofi right now. YUM!

Laughing at Grandma's face in the Beverly pic, hahahahaha.. Hilarious!!
You and me both on the Carciofi. Any chance you can just send one in my direction :-) How goes the wedding planning/

I'm in love with your top. Do you mind sharing where it's from?
Oh wow, thanks! I'm pretty sure its from the loft. Almost all my clothes either come from there, regular Ann Taylor, or Old Navy so its usually not to hard to figure out. :-)

:lmao:Those faces are priceless!
Indeed!

So hungry for pizza now! We have a wood fired pizza place near us and thanks to your reviews I got arugula on the pizza and YUM! So thanks for the inspiration :cool1:
Glad you enjoyed the arugula. We have a great place by our house too and we add arugula to just about everything :-)

Happy to hear the 4th was good!

Sci-fi is a good go to and even if it is boring I feel as if HS is lacking in good options, so it's nice there is one good fall back.

Haha! I am so tempted to try Beverly at club cool, but then I see these faces and I think bad idea! Via Napoli yum! I had pizza every day this weekend and this sill made me want more pizza!!
Hope you all had a good 4th too!!!!

The beverly isn't really that bad (or at least I don't think so) but in the sea of sweet they are serving it is certainly the outlier.

We didn't get to our usually Italian/pizza joint this week so I'm totally craving it too and jealous you go to eat it all weekend!

Priceless Beverly faces! I'm not sure where on the Dis I mentioned this, but last Oct. I had my nephews try Beverly when we all went to the Coca-Cola Factory in Atlanta. Of course my boys knew it's "secret" so they kept straight faces while their cousins tried it; their reactions were similar to your crew!
Yeah, beverely is definitely "best" when you can sneak it in on the unsuspecting! Wonder if they will have it at the new coke place in DTD too????

I need to get back to VN since I didn't get to enjoy our dinner there last Nov. thanks to that stomach bug :crazy2: And since I don't have it on the schedule for this November, I now have an idea..........:scratchin
You need to get back to everywhere after all you had to endure on your November trip!!!!

Those pizzas from Via Napoli look amazing - I'm so glad I made an ADR for it on our next trip!

Those expressions of everyone trying the Beverly are so funny!
Hope you enjoy Via Napoli. We clearly love it.

Via Napoli is one of my favorites too. It is so hard to find good pizza here in FL and this just hits the spot!! So exciting you're going back next month! Love those Beverly faces!!!
Yeah, even in DC pizza as good as VN is hard to come by. Which is why we visit almost every trip.

Yep, we're getting close to a month till our next trip. My work has been crazy as of late so I'm so, so, so ready for it.

Great reviews, as always

We are finally, finally going to hit Via Napoli next month. It's been on my to-do list forever!!:banana:
Thanks!!!!!! Hope you love Via as much as we do. When will you all be there?????

I've decided to add Via Napoli to our trip too! After reading about it on your report, and @hokieinpa's report, as well as hearing from my co-worker, I've decided to do it! :)
Woohoo. And in case you didn't know you are taking the advise of two Hokie's so you really can't go wrong!

You and me both on the Carciofi. Any chance you can just send one in my direction :-) How goes the wedding planning/

Haha.. I wish!! Allegedly there is a good NY-style pizza place near us that I think I need to check out.. wonder if they do a carciofi :rolleyes:

Wedding planning is splendid, thanks for asking! I am getting pretty excited and ready to park my booty on a beach in Hawaii.. Where's the Mai Tai's!? The usual "can I bring a guest" questions, family member drama, you know, the usual! Never a dull moment!

While I'm sure to no one's surprise I did this

This is expected.

EPCOT_ECENTR2_7662788518.jpeg

Great family pic!

(side note we recently got this candle from anthology and its a total deadringer)

Ugh the last time I checked their Etsy out, they were sold out of the ones I want! Thanks for reminding me that I need to go back and see if they've restocked.

Dying!!! Fabulous reaction photos you got. Good job!

OH yum.

Via does NOT disappoint! As far as i'm concerned, this will remain on my 'must' list forever.

Haha.. I wish!! Allegedly there is a good NY-style pizza place near us that I think I need to check out.. wonder if they do a carciofi :rolleyes:

Wedding planning is splendid, thanks for asking! I am getting pretty excited and ready to park my booty on a beach in Hawaii.. Where's the Mai Tai's!? The usual "can I bring a guest" questions, family member drama, you know, the usual! Never a dull moment!
Glad to hear all is coming along well. MaiTai's and Hawaii sounds amazing. Though I knew my mother and wedding could never coexist in the same sentence so Jason and I just eloped to Vegas. Needless to say I still haven't heard the end of that!

Great family pic!
Thanks we do clean up nice if I say so myself. Though Jason and I crack up at his Dad wearing this t-shirt cause he A. wears it all the time and B. it is from when Jason was in middle school!!!!! The man can't throw anything away. We just came back from our weekend with them with a Fiero t-shirt that was Jason's when he was like 10. It's now Casey's nightgown :-)

Ugh the last time I checked their Etsy out, they were sold out of the ones I want! Thanks for reminding me that I need to go back and see if they've restocked.

OH yum.

Via does NOT disappoint! As far as i'm concerned, this will remain on my 'must' list forever.
#MustFovever

Just Monkeying Around

We were up bright and early the next morning for a day in my favorite park: Animal Kingdom (cause hello alcohol, snacks, and dole whip with rum). After a private bus ride we were soon posing for the ubiquitous Tree of Life family pic, though no one else seemed to care or be aware.

After meeting some elephants...

....And getting in some dancing with a bear and a monkey...

...We soon had a date with a Yeti and apparently a really nice guide with an awesome name

(side note while no one who knows me would ever get anywhere near a mountain with your truly as their guide, I was happy to have my name takes its place in Disney ride history.)

After a whirlwind morning, we were ready for some eats, and settled on a favorite of ours: Flame Tree BBQ. Unfortunately the lines were long (this is why I like table service) but we eventually got our food and parked ourselves under one of the covered areas.

We all (well except Casey) enjoyed a Safari Amber to drink, but there isn't too much to report in the eats department because Jason, Connie, and Mike all got this bad boy.

Meet the Pulled Pork Sandwich, which is Smoked Pulled Pork piled high with Coleslaw on a fresh soft Bun and served with our their Signature Baked Beans. Yes ladies and gentleman there is pork under this lovely bun shot that I got :-) Per usual this was delicious, moist and smoky pork, crispy slaw, and some of the best beans in the park (though Whispering Canyon still takes the prize in my book). All 3 were quite pleased with their choice.

For Casey and I to share I got the 1/2 Chicken which is Marinated Slow-smoked Chicken served with Baked Beans, refreshing (ahhh) Coleslaw, and Jalapeño Cornbread.

Unfortntately they forgot the jalapeño cornbread, but everything else was delicious. The chicken was super moist and I loved it with their spicy bbq sauce. I'm not a huge fan of the coleslaw by itself so I let Casey have this, while I focused on the delicious beans. And of course we had to get some onion rings.

On our last trip we had a bit of an Onion Ring Throwdown and Flame Tree was the clear winner. Thankfully their hot, crispy, and only $3.99 oniony goodness continued that trend today!!!!!!

While I still continue to hate the lines at quick service restaurants, Flame Tree is a true gem. Their bbq is table service quality and their food has never disappointed. And they take tables in wonderland so we saved $16.83. Oh and did I mention they even offer clean-up service.

After lunch we let Casey play in her beloved rascal park (aka the boneyard for everyone else) where someone made himself very comfortable amongst the dinosaur bones.

From there we watched some planets and goats with Rafiki, before braving Kali River Rapids.

#Before

#After. Three certain someones hit the mother load of water while two pretty ladies remained virtually dry :P

On our way out we
swung by Tamu Tamu Refreshments for a little ice cream for the under 5 and over 70 crowd...

.....And a rum dole whip for those of drinking age

We also let Casey pick out a pre-made hair wrap as the line was too long for a real one. While checking out she proceeded to tell the cast member that when she is a Mommy she is going to let her children go shopping everyday. She also told her of her dream to be a model/fogger (she wants to drive the mosquito fogging truck, can't make this stuff up) and that she will have 2 children, one named Caroline and the other Flower Clarance. Yep Disney, she'll be here all week....

Up next, dining at the top of the world looking down on creation

Dining at the Top
After a long day at Animal Kingdom we didn't have too much time at the lodge before needing to leave for dinner. Before the trip, Jason and I agreed to lay off the signatures while his self-described "simple folk" parents were with us, but we wanted to do one dinner to wow them and decided California Grill was it.

With a boat to the Contemporary all to ourselves, a few members of the family really got into the modeling spirit.

(@Leshaface think he and Dan could have a great model off a la Zoolander)

We were seated quickly at a large table (large as in like for 12 people) by the window. Despite the length of the table, we had a perfect view of the Kingdom.

To start with Mike and Jason went for a very manly beer

And Connie and I got a bottle of the white the CG Sommelier turned us onto a few trips back.

This is a Sauvignon Blanc from the Sancerre region of France. Apparently there is a lot of oyster shells in the soil there so the wine takes on an almost briny quality and pairs wonderfully with seafood. The one they serve at the restaurant is a 2014 Michel Redde Sancerre Les Tuilieres but we've discovered almost all the ones we've tried from our local wine store are good. So good our wine frig is packed to the brim with them right now!!!! If you like bright, acidic, almost effervescent whites then check this out.

That concludes the wine portion of the evening. You may now resume normal operations.

We started with the wonderful California Grill foccacia and butter. There are some other kind of rolls in there but I have no idea why they bother.

As an appetizer we elected to share the cheese plate.

From left to right (I think) this was Mitica Sardo (a semi-hard pasteurized sheep’s milk cheese from Sardinia), Cremont (a pasteurized, cow/goat milk cheese from Vermont), MT TAM (a handcrafted triple-cream cheese from California), Landaff (an unpasteurized, mild cheese that has a natural rind), and Smokey Blue (an unpasturized cows milk blue from Point Reyes California). All the cheeses and their accompaniments were delicious, but my favorite was the Cremont followed closely by the Smokey Blue, though this was largely for sentimental reasons as we took a great trip to Point Reyes a few years ago.

Now onto the main event......

Mike ordered the Oak-Fired Filet of Beef with Mashed Potato, California Delta Asparagus, and Wine Sauce.

He seemed to enjoy his steak, but was obsessed with how good the asparagus was. He even asked the waiter how it was prepared (grilled).

Connie went with the Pork Belly Two Ways.

This is Grilled Tenderloin, Goat Cheese Polenta, Mushrooms, Lacquered Belly, and Country Applesauce. She loved, loved, loved this and declared it one of the best things she'd ever eaten. The pork belly was her clear favorite, but she really liked the tenderloin too.

My usual meat and potatoes man threw me for a loop with his request for the Seafood Ramen.

This is Lobster, Gulf Shrimp, Scallops, House-made Ramen, Crisp Vegetables, Fragrant Broth. He'd been serving ramen at his restaurant for a few months so I think he was really wanting to see how something at a top notch restaurant compared. He loved the fatty, spicy, and flavorful broth, but said they needed to include more of it. The noodles were clearly homemade (he buys his) and the seafood was plentiful and well prepared. All in all he was happy with this ramen, but didn't find it that far off from his (which sells for less than $10).

For my entree, I went for the Wild Caught Alaskan Halibut.

This is served with Parsnip Silk, Roasted Heirloom Beets, Arugula, Macadamia Vinaigrette, and Beet Syrup. I would never have thought to put fish and beets together, but this worked perfectly. The golden and red beats were exceedingly tender and the beet syrup really set off the flavor of the fish. The fish itself was meaty and tender and the parsnip puree so smooth it tasted like polenta. This was my second favorite dish of the trip and definitely a winner!

Casey wasn't feeling anyone's choices (though she kept trying to steal my beets) and insisted on her own meal. She went with the very foodie friendly, macaroni and cheese (as well as she eats she's still a kid at heart).

She declared this not just good, but great!!!!

After dinner we went out on the balcony for some family photos
(Casey took this one)

California Grill was the perfect signature meal for Mike and Connie. The food was amazing, the views couldn't have been better, and after copious amounts of beer and wine we were feeling no pain. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $60.70.

After dinner we took a spin around the monorail to MK for some nighttime magic.

I believe this is either some form of pole dancing or they are hoping to catch some flies in their mouths. I'm never sure with these 2.

At MK we cruised the jungle, saw some pirates, and hung out with 999 ghosts (and got inspired for a trip report title). On the ladder we were greeted with a hitchhiker with a sign asking to go to Virginia at the end (such a cool effect). Since we'd skipped dessert at CG we headed back to the lodge where we picked up a magic bar and brownie at Roaring Forks and enjoyed them on our balcony with, you guessed it, more wine
as we enjoyed the fireworks from MK.

All in all a great night!

Up next, did I finally drink too many bloody marys or are we actually turning...

Taking my Mom to CG in Oct. as a surprise. The wine is a definite but all 4 of those dishes look and sound amazing it will be so hard to pick one. Hoping for a window seat but I will be happy just to be at Disney! Your pictures are beautiful and it sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

Fun day at AK! Those onion rings look delish! And the KRR ride...how funny that three got soaked and 2 (the correct 2 I'm assuming) stayed dry! Love the meal at Cali Grill. I've eaten there once. Such good food and an awesome view! That brownie looks yummy!

While I still continue to hate the lines at quick service restaurants, Flame Tree is a true gem. Their bbq is table service quality and their food has never disappointed.
So sad to admit that I have never been to Flame Tree. I really need to fix that. All of the reviews I have read were positive and your pictures look amazing.

And a rum dole whip for those of drinking age
Yet another thing to put on my list! Any idea what kind of rum they use? Amber? Spiced? (doesn't look white or dark)

Your meals sound great, I'm so pleased to read a good CG review as my kids won't go back as they hated their meals :rotfl2:

Those Flame Tree meals look great! We're trying to keep our Animal Kingdom day "loosely planned" so I think that'll be our stop for lunch instead of getting an ADR somewhere. And ahhh, the Dole Whip with rum. I tried it with the coconut rum last time and was immediately in love. :love:

For Casey and I to share I got the 1/2 Chicken which is Marinated Slow-smoked Chicken served with Baked Beans, refreshing (ahhh) Coleslaw, and Jalapeño Cornbread.

Unfortntately they forgot the jalapeño cornbread, but everything else was delicious. The chicken was super moist and I loved it with their spicy bbq sauce. I'm not a huge fan of the coleslaw by itself so I let Casey have this, while I focused on the delicious beans. And of course we had to get some onion rings.

These two dishes are exactly what I plan to order when we eat there. I've heard so many good things about those onion rings in particular. YUM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter