999 Meals, But There's Room for 1,000 - An April 2016 Dining Report - Complete/New DR Link - 10/16

I'm glad you had so much fun at Hoop De Doo! Your husband is a brave man to eat that much meat before running 13.1 miles!
Strangely he wasn't as concerned about what he ate as how much he drank. Good news is no issues either way :)

EXACTLY! Trust me i am not into exercise, but i got the idea from @Elevationist and said why not! So here i am :) DO it!
Good for you. I loathe all things that make me sweat, but have been trying to be good at getting my 10,000 steps lately

Always having the best time this kid! I love it!
She is certainly a good time!

Seems like HDDR was a hit! I haven't been, but i could see it being a once in every 5-10 trip type of thing, but a must do when its time has come... does that even make sense? sorry sometimes i speak my own logic language over here.
Makes perfect sense to me. It's on the must do list now, but likely not for a few more years. Of course Casey has already requested it (and SciFi) for our trip in August :)

Another review of a place we are trying for the first time in August, looks like a fun dinner show, excited to try it. We will be at Disney 8/22-8/29 at the GF, got an awesome deal it was magical! Thanks for the great reviews, when will you be there? I would have liked the trip to start around the 29th but I couldn't get vacation that late in August.
That's right, i thought we overlapped a bit. We got a very magical deal as well and are staying at the Poly again. We're headed down the 24th and coming home the 3rd. We typically like to go over our anniversary in early September, but Casey starts kindergarten this year so we have real school to work around for the first time ever.

Fun! Like you, I haven't been to "the Hoop" since I was a kid. Seeing Casey's pic with the washboard tickled my memory... I think I might have done that. I love that about WDW!

The registration fees are a bit high and the start time maybe too early even for me but anytime you want to walk the race with a thermos, let me know. :) Or maybe we sleep in and meet for brunch!
Love the way you think. Brunch and bloody marys it is :)

Oh MAN, does that all ever look good!!! And those potatoes... :cloud9: Thanks to your review, I just added breakfast at the Wave to my February 2017 trip!
You should most definitely add it to the trip for the potatoes alone. So good!

You do realize that if ya'll come to Princess next year, we'll be at WDW at the same time, yes?
I do realize that :) No real plans as of yet. I know we'll do a trip sometime in January or February. Princess seems like the no brainer since its also right after Casey's birthday, but our annual passes expire a few days before the race. We hadn't planned on renewing them this year in lieu of possibly doing Disneyland in the summer of 2017 so thats the dilemma right now. #DisneyProblems

Oh! That's why... CHEERS!

20151207_161806-1.jpg
Great minds.....

WHAT!!! I didn't know that! :eek:
Yep! You just keep drinking and them just keep filling!

Maaaaan, as usual, now you got me wanting to do this! I've pondered it before, but I just don't know how much fun it would be for a solo like me!
I think it would be fine solo. Obviously everyone has their own table, but it really just feels like one really big family meal instead of individual tables.

Loving the report, loving the pics, and cheering on the little runner! I think I must try the wave and the hoop for sure....
Thanks so much!

Following along! I came here from your other DR. I love HDD! Its been awhile since I've been, this may need to change. I was at SWDS weekend too! I ran the challenge like your DH. Love your reviews, and all your beverage choices as well. :drinking1
Welcome and thanks for drinking along with me!

It looks like you had loads of fun at HDDR, we're going in August after not being for years and we can't wait :)

How great that your family have arrived but 2 days of driving :faint: oh my :faint:
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!!!

Every time I think "Oh, now this person does my FAVORITE trip reports..." I find a new kindred spirit. Needless to say, I'll be watching this thread AND going back and reading your previous TRs. Also glad to see a foodie review of Hoop Dee Doo, as I just booked it yesterday for the upcoming December trip! Did anyone try the sangria by chance? I'm not much a beer drinker, but my DH will be glad to hear there's Yuengling.

ETA: And also, HOWDY NEIGHBOR! I'm reading your first TR and you mention you're Fairfax. I'm over in Loudoun!
Howdy neighbor. I grew up in Burke then had stops in Alexandria and Springfield before moving out to LOCO. We were in Loudoun (Ashburn then Leesburg) until 4 years ago and then my job moved to Springfield so we came back into Fairfax County.

We're definitely foodies, but enjoy food done right fancy or not. And while hoop wasn't fancy, it sure was good. No we all did the beer so we didn't try the sangria. But wine and fruit, whats not to love??????

Hey neighbor! I'm in Loudoun too! :wave2:
Go team NOVA!

Finally caught up! Loving your report!!!!
Thanks so much!

So we went to HDD about 10 years ago with parents and some friends. It was a lot of fun. We were right up front so my dad got picked on throughout the show. My DH, however, not wanting to be there, got completely tanked on Sangria and was totally obnoxious. He had never had it before and had a crazy drunk reaction. Which is weird as he's a big guy, and a regular consumer of adult beverages. I thought my mom was going to kill him. Lol My friends still talk about the look of death she was giving him. :furious:
Looking back, it was pretty hilarious.​
Sounds pretty hilarious. The dirty looks aside I'm sure that would have been a sight to see. I was on my good girl the inlaws are with us behavior, but if I was gonna get tanked this would be a pretty fun place to do it!

Loved Casey's race attire, she left those boys in the dust! A poolside tropical drink would be nice today, too bad I am at work!! :rotfl:
Thanks, still so proud of her blowing by all those boys!!!! Now if only I'd had a tropical drink in my hand while we watched her ; )

View attachment 174211
I thought you might find this amusing.....run......or.......rum! Lol
You clearly got my vibe :drinking1

The falafel! Those oysters! You're adding to my already extensive LIS of new restaurants to try. Loving this report!
Thanks. Both were delicious! In fact Jason and I had a rare date night last night and had some oysters. They were tasty but no where in the league of these.

OMG we'd be SO far ahead in that one :tiptoe: And maybe they could make us medals in the shape of big red SOLO cups ::yes::
Ahead, behind, how cares we'd be drinking. And totally love the solo cup idea!!! Can you imagine all the wonderful looks we'd get around the parks? Priceless!

As an aside Steve got picked to be the Angel and those pictures are some of the funniest I have of him in all of the 20+ years we've been together :rotfl2: Corny as the show is we, like you, didn't consider it an every-trip thing but I know we'll be back!
Oh man, I'm sure that was hilarious. I was secretly hoping they'd pick my father in law for something as he is a corny as hell and a great sport to boot. I can only imagine the photos you got!

:scared1:OMG I can't believe I am so late . . . very happy I saw your sig in another thread you responded to or may have missed my favorite DR family! :goodvibes Congrats to Casey and her triumphant run!!! Serious girl power there:thumbsup2 I am very excited to hear about the remainder of your trip and the drinks :drinking1(my fave) and the food popcorn:: (my fave) and the desserts :cake: (my fave. . . catching a theme? lol).
Late, schmate we've barely just begun!!! Lots more :drinking1popcorn:: and :cake: commencing momentarily

Those oysters look fantastic, but did you say there was another oyster dish (or scallops, or both?) later in the trip that were better?!:eek: I'm EXCITED:cool1:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for bringing us all along.
The oysters definitely were not eclipsed, in fact Jason and I were reminiscing about them last night. But the scallops were!!!!! Got a few more days to go before we get them.

Love the Hoop dee Doo report! Everything looks great.....like you, I am a huge fan of good cornbread. now I am trying to think if I could squeeze this in to August's trip..... decisions, decisions!
Thanks. Can't go wrong with all ya can eat cornbread!

Finally getting caught back up. Your Wave breakfast looks really goo. I'm a sucker for eggs Benedict but really picky about the poached eggs, they can't be too well done with the yolk, I like 'em to ooze ! And the key lime hollandaise sounds delicious! The bad part is that now I want to add it to my "must do" list!

I'm so glad you had a positive review on Hoop De Do. We have reservation to go there in September. I'm looking forward to the bottomless sangria! :drinking1 We are going to the 8:30 show since that's the one you can use the DP with. I'll be the one trying to eat my weight in fried chicken ::yes::
I'd say welcome back, but I know its not much of a welcome. Guess you didn't make it to the wave while you were living it up in the contemporary :-)

Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did. And with bottomless sangria and eating your weight in chicken how could you not!

I'm so glad that you went to and reviewed Hoop! I'm going with my entire fam over Christmas and we'll have quite the mix of ages. This is one of the places I was looking at booking.
It would be great for any age. You should definitely consider it. We had 5, 40 somethings, and a couple of 70 year olds and we all loved it!

Ok, I am back after falling waayyy behind! Congrats to Casey! I love the race pictures! Her outfit is wonderful!
Welcome back!!!!!!! Cruising over to your report next :car:

A bit sad DS and I didn't go to Artist Point. It has been a favorite of ours but since he had a date night with his DGF in August we felt that it should be 'their' place. DH and I will probably go in October. Next August DS and will go back with his DGF.
Sad, but that is so cute that they wanted to have a place that was their own.

We have never done the Hoop De Doo. After reading your review I told DH we may have to give it a try in October
You definitely should try it. I'm sure you and the hubby would love it!

It's About Bloody Time

The next "morning" Jason was up at 3:30 to head to the half marathon. Apparently to be quiet he ate a bagel while sitting on the commode as his middle of the night pre-race snack. Thankfully for all involved there were no photos taken. Though the RunDisney folks did catch this lovely gem, which is my second favorite photo of the week.

I have no idea what he is doing or why he would have even shared this with me, his evil wife, but as you can imagine its made its way to basically everyone I know, is the screensaver on my phone, and is now part of the DIS universe. Somehow he really does still love me, I swear :lovestruc

Casey and I eventually stirred around 6 to catch the bus to see Jason finish. Normally being the completely unsupportive wife I am I would have passed, but my father in law wanted to see him. Unfortunately we had to wait over 30 minutes for the bus so by the time we stopped at the Contemporary and then Fort Wilderness we got to ESPN just as Jason was finishing. #BestLaidPlans. As I understand other races usually finish at Epcot, which seems more logical since there are other transportation options. Oh well, Jason didn't seem to bothered and was proud to finish his first ever half.

After we got back to the hotel, we all had one thing on our minds FOOD!!!!!!!!!!! Not wanting to travel far we were able to walk up to Whispering Canyon without a wait. While the others caffeinated up with some coffee, I elected to start my morning with yet another Bloody Mary.

This was a standard issue rail bloody mary and while not nearly as good as the one at the wave hit the spot.

For my meal I went with the Eggs Benedict, which at Whispering Canyon is Two Poached Eggs on an English Muffin and Hollandaise Sauce with House-smoked Pulled Pork served with Western Home Fries.

I'm a sucker for poached eggs and while these weren't as good as the Samoan at Kona or the Key Lime ones I'd had at the Wave prior, they had a distinctive smoky flavor that really set them apart from traditional bennies. The potatoes unfortunately were cold, but did taste fine, just nothing spectacular.

Jason and Connie both went with the two eggs any style.

If I'd just finished running for 2 and a half hours straight I would have totally been all over the all you can eat skillet, but this somewhat meager offering was what my baby went with. As you can imagine this tasted like eggs, but they both seemed happy with the choices.

Upstaging her father in the ordering department, Casey got the kids House Made Banana Bread French Toast which comes with Bananas Foster Sauce and Bacon.

I'm not much for sweet things in the morning, but this was downright delicious. The french toast was sweet and dense in its own right, but add in the sweet and gooey caramel sauce and it was pretty darn perfect.

Last, but not least we have Mike who ordered Jeffro Bodeen's Belgian-style Waffle. Unfortunately (or fortunately) they brought him the kids mickey waffles by mistake instead. He told them that was fine, but about 5 minutes later the belgian waffle showed up. To say he was quite pleased with his double waffle coup is an understatement.

As will come as little surprise to folks on here, he actually preferred the mickey waffles to the grown up version. :-)

Overall Whispering Canyon was a solid breakfast choice but nothing special. I was hoping for some of the shenanigans as I'm sure Mike and Casey would have gotten a kick out of it but no such luck. I don't think I'd ever travel to Wilderness Lodge just to have breakfast here, but if staying here its an easy choice. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $17.02.

Up next, guess who wants a snack????

Following along. The title drew me in but I am loving your posts. Congrats to Jason and Casey. Can't wait to read the rest!

Strangely he wasn't as concerned about what he ate as how much he drank. Good news is no issues either way :)

Howdy neighbor. I grew up in Burke then had stops in Alexandria and Springfield before moving out to LOCO. We were in Loudoun (Ashburn then Leesburg) until 4 years ago and then my job moved to Springfield so we came back into Fairfax County.

We're definitely foodies, but enjoy food done right fancy or not. And while hoop wasn't fancy, it sure was good. No we all did the beer so we didn't try the sangria. But wine and fruit, whats not to love??????

Go team NOVA!

Thanks so much!

Yep, we had a little townhouse in Alexandria right by the Huntington station. Then as the family grew we moved to the bigger house in Loudoun. Ironically, my job recently put me on a temporary post and while I'm normally in Reston for work, now I'm in Springfield 3 days a week. Oh joy. But I totally agree with you- good food is good food, fancy or not. Have you been to Bastille in Alexandria yet? Best food AND wine I've ever had. Period.

You are being a supportive wife sharing pictures of your husbands accomplishments!! :rotfl:
Casey's breakfast looked like the winner....yum! I love eggs Benedict any way you can get them, and that there are so many variations at the WDW restaurants :thumbsup2

I have no idea what he is doing or why he would have even shared this with me, his evil wife, but as you can imagine its made its way to basically everyone I know, is the screensaver on my phone, and is now part of the DIS universe.

I cannot stop laughing at that picture, LOL!

ROTFLMAO:rotfl:. . . you are sinister for that running pic (that is a good one and the peeps at RunDisney are sinister too). Glad everyone enjoyed themselves:thumbsup2

Sorry, been playing catch up more often these days!

and they served no alcohol. Or at least that is all I took away from the occasion.

:rotfl:Of course you did!

Ladies and gentleman, he is not a crook

:laughing:

'd had something similar at Grand Floridian Cafe last year and this far eclipsed it.

I was trying to think of where else you'd had that. That seems to be a popular ingredient then!

Last night while I was perusing Pinterest (ugh, a huge obsession of mine!), I had seen a recipe for sweet potato waffles and thought how interesting it was to incorporate into a waffle! And now this with pancakes! Sounds like i'm going to have to give it a try then.

:worship::worship::worship:

just hate that I always feel compelled to eat way too much.

Uh, just please replace 'hate' with 'love' and all will be right with the world again ::yes::

Such a determined face, I love it!

Omgosh and she's ending the race like real runners do, leaning forward trying!:worship:

(including one where they apparently get doused with ice cream toppings)

And you're not doing this why?!?! :confused3Don't care if you don't like running, you can speed walk this ish and like the sprinkles off for energy!

Cruzan Mango Rum, Coruba Coconut Rum, Crème de Banana, with Orange and Pineapple Juice and a float of Grenadine

So many ingredients in such a small cup.

but thankfully they had Yuengling too.

:cool1:

Oh wow, all this food is RIGHT up DM's alley! I really should check this place out next time, especially knowing now that alcohol is unlimited! But what if one person wants beer and one person wants wine, how does that work for the unlimited?

Apparently to be quiet he ate a bagel while sitting on the commode as his middle of the night pre-race snack.

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:OH MY GOSH!

So much yes!:rotfl::worship:

I seriously love that you guys love breakfast just as much as I do. Wish DH felt the same :sad2:

Score!

That picture of Jason is HILARIOUS. Of your wifely duty is to show it to everyone! :D

That banana bread french toast looks amazing. I'm going to have to try it some time.

Not to much to report on the race front other he ran, there were star wars people, and they served no alcohol. Or at least that is all I took away from the occasion.

I think you got all the essential facts straight there!

Very sassy (and fast!) little Stormtrooper you have there! Love the determination in the last picture!

Great reviews of 2 breakfasts. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to squeeze in The Wave for brunch one morning. Too much food, too little time.

HDDR has been on my list for the past few trips. I'm just not sure if the boys will be interested in the show. The food looks delicious, of course!

HDDR was SO MUCH FUN! For me the cornbread and the sweet churned butter was the winner of that meal. The strawberry shortcake was great too, if only I had enough room for it after all that food!
And I got the same "instrument" as Casey did.

Congrats to Jason on his first half. That picture is hilarious! Couldn't help but think of the song "Zip a dee doo dah".

Also I miss Mickey waffles. Love your father in law's 'SCORE' pose next to the waffles. I'd have been the same.

As none of the entrees jumped out at me I elected to get two apps for us to share. The first was the Falls Falafel.

Per the menu this is a secret recipe of of Chick Peas, Garlic, Onions, Lemon Juice, and Herbs served with White Bean Dip and Tomato-Cucumber Salad. A bit of backstory the first falafel I ever had was from a food cart in New York City and they were amazing. Sadly no others have ever lived up to those.....until today. These were light and airy, with a great chick pea and garlic flavor and they paired wonderfully with the bean dip and cucumber salad. Our server had said these were a house specialty and boy was he right.

I've never had falafel, but I was looking at menus today and saw this, and thought it sounded good. Hoping I can get my crew to try this place when we go in January.

I am so behind, but I have to say YAYYY way to go Casey!!! That picture of her smokin' all the boys behind her is fantastic!! So determined. Sounds like you have a speed demon on your hands. The outfit made it all the more fantastic.

The Wave has been on my list for a while. Sweet potato pancakes, sign me up! $20 isn't too bad at all. I think when we ate at Tusker House it was like $29 (and since we don't have little ones the characters aren't really a must). We will have to try it sometime.

You posting that running pic of Jason makes me REALLY want to post my picture of Steve as the Angel at HDDR :scratchin
WCC breakfast looks pretty good, hoping we enjoy our lunch there, too! I'd love to do more breakfasts but by the time I get my crew up and out in the morning, if we did breakfasts all the time we wouldn't be in the parks until like 3:00 :rolleyes:

Hello again! Just getting caught up. I love Casey's outfit for the run, by the way!
I have no idea what he is doing or why he would have even shared this with me, his evil wife, but as you can imagine its made its way to basically everyone I know, is the screensaver on my phone, and is now part of the DIS universe.
This made me laugh. I would probably do the same with my wife! And if you're still wondering what's he's doing, I do believe he's practising for the 3:00 parade as a dwarf. It looks like a whistle while you work pose!

We are trying this place as well for a late lunch. We went and looked around the Wilderness Lodge our last trip and even with the construction outside, what a beautiful lobby area. Are you planning to attend the Illuminations Dessert party on 8/25, put on by TA? If so, maybe I can have my first dis meet. We decided to do it because the cost was so cheap compared to the Disney ones, I am looking forward to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter