999 Meals, But There's Room for 1,000 - An April 2016 Dining Report - Complete/New DR Link - 10/16

Looks like you are in the happy place right now. I hope you're having a great time. I've just come back to the boards after a few weeks of summer stay-cation at home. It's great to get caught up on your report (and now I'm looking forward to another one!)

They were clearly roasted in a good amount of beef fat, as they had a distinct steak-like flavor, and they were exceedingly tender. The potatoes were topped with some herbs and onions that gave them some freshness.
I have never heard of such a thing, but it sounds awesome. I would love to go to the Yachtsman someday. Unfortunately DW and DD16 are not steak eaters and usually stick to chicken, so I'm not sure it would be worth it for them. I did finally get DD9 into eating steaks from the BBQ while I was home, so there's hope yet!

Side note I had no intention of participating in the Kylo Ren meet n greet as I hadn’t seen the new movie and had no idea who he was. Well he wasn’t having any of that and stared me down until I moved over to the M&G area. I had no idea how “real” a meet and greet could be, but in this case my intimidated self was sold.
Despite the fact that I'm a Star Wars fan, I have seen a few videos of the Kylo Ren meet and I've got to say it seems creepy to me. If I get to Launch Bay anytime, I'm not sure I would do the meet.

We all shared my favorite carrot cake cookie (now at the Sweet Spells vice Writers Stop).
Yes! I'm glad you knew where to find it! :teeth:

On the food front, I was dying to finally try the Frushi (fruit sushi) that I'd read so much about.
Although I don't like real sushi, I've seen many reports about this frushi and they have all been positive. Maybe we will both get to try it someday! :laughing:

If Kindergarten was today i hope it went well, and if its tomorrow best wishes to you both!

I think you're back from Disney now! I hope it was AMAZEBALLS! And from what you said about work being insane, this is the perfect time for a vacation!

Hope you had a great birthday and that you all have an amazing trip! I'm dying to try Homecoming in Disney Springs...definitely think you guys should consider adding it to your app and drink crawl. The full menu is available at the bar...

http://allears.net/dining/menu/homecoming/lunch-dinner

Maybe some sweet tea moonshine and some pimento cheese hush puppies or fried green tomatoes? :cloud9:
Thanks the trip was in fact awesome. Thanks for the Homecoming menu. Sadly we missed it. I just read @GoofySon'sMom review and I'm totally regretting it.

Happy (belated) Birthday! I have been a bad Diser having a bit of a pity party about moving DS into this apartment a couple of weekends again. Finally getting back to the real world.

Your trip sounds great! Looking forward to your Flying Fish review! I don't have plans for DH and I to go because the menu just didn't thrill me but I could be persuaded to change a few things around! Hoping you have much better luck at Tiffins than we did! Love, love, LOVE the idea of the appetizer crawl!

Safe travels! Cannot wait to hear all about it!
AN APARTMENT!!!!!!! Is he done with school already? That can't be so.

In a bit of a preview, Flying Fish left us lacking a bit, but Tiffins hit a total home run!

Happy you had a nice birthday!

Only a few hours stand between you an vacation in WDW! Work right before a trip is way stressful! Hopefully you wrapped it all up and can enjoy your vacation! Have a great time!
Thanks Lauren!

I am finally caught up! I was stuck actually doing work at work so barely any DIS time! LOL! Happy Belated Birthday and I know Miss Casey is going to LOVE Kindergarten, the only tears shed will probably be yours. Excited you get another Disney trip and I can't wait to read all about it! Have fun and safe travels :goodvibes
Not too many tears shed. She was so bouncing out her skin excited it made it much easier than us. Though I'm not gonna lie putting my kid on a bus to spend the day with people I've never met and a school I'd never set foot inside was a massive trust fall!

Sounds like you had a great birthday!

I am sure you are off to WDW, but if you get this before Morimoto Asia, check out the Sake Sangria and Duck Ramen. Two of the best deals in the World.
Thanks more to come once I get the other dang report started, but no Morimoto for us, no Downtown Disney for us. That lovely woman Hermine but a dent in a few of our plans.

I am slowly but surely catching up (wedding is on 9/3!), but first off HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! :bday::lovestruc

I hope your day was full of wine and not too much working! ;) Mine was Monday, I thought I'd remembered you saying yours was in August.

Have a blast on your trip!!!!! I hope you have some Dismeets and I cannot wait to hear about the app crawl - I think that is a fabulous idea.

Lastly, I cannot believe you have a KINDERGARTENER ..... :banana::banana::banana: I hope she has a blast on her first day, I'm sure she will do great!!
Thanks Ashley!!! And shouldn't you be a married woman by now!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Congratulations to you guys!!! You're almost there!!!!!! :cheer2:
Thank you!

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you're enjoying your time at Disney! I can't wait for the next trip report. Now tell me more about these crab pretzels and if I can find them anywhere in the DC area...
Jason made the ones we had, but the original one I had was at a place called King Fishers down in Solomon's Island. Think a massive jumbo pretzel, covered in lump crab meat and cheese. #Perfection

Looks like you are in the happy place right now. I hope you're having a great time. I've just come back to the boards after a few weeks of summer stay-cation at home. It's great to get caught up on your report (and now I'm looking forward to another one!)
How the stay cation was great!

I have never heard of such a thing, but it sounds awesome. I would love to go to the Yachtsman someday. Unfortunately DW and DD16 are not steak eaters and usually stick to chicken, so I'm not sure it would be worth it for them. I did finally get DD9 into eating steaks from the BBQ while I was home, so there's hope yet!
Yachtsman did not disappoint again. Sounds like you and your youngest DD may have a date night ; )

If Kindergarten was today i hope it went well, and if its tomorrow best wishes to you both!
All went great, thanks Lauren.

I think you're back from Disney now! I hope it was AMAZEBALLS! And from what you said about work being insane, this is the perfect time for a vacation!
Yes, sadly I'm back but AMAZEBALLS is an understatement. It was our longest trip ever (11 days/10 nights) and the perfect amount of time. We did no rushing, stopped and smelled the roses, and most surprisingly we were even ok with coming home.

Kari, at the animal kingdom Lodge, which is your favorite ?
It's a toss up between Sanna and Jiko for me. I'd probably lean toward Jiko, but you can't go wrong with either one

Hi everyone! Before I get back to our regularly scheduled food programming I wanted to pass along some happenings from a very eventful last month.

First, thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes The day was full of food, wine, and the bestest husband and friends a gal could ask for.
IMG_1573.JPG

Jason and I had a wonderful 9th wedding anniversary and celebrated with what else, but more food, wine, and this time football! Sadly despite it being our anniversary our alma mater Virginia Tech lost, but on the upside our Steelers beat the loathsome Redskins 2 days later.IMG_2034.jpg

Casey started KINDERGARTEN!!!!!!!!!!!! Jason and I were definitely pretty apprehensive, but she was so jumping out of her skin excited it helped put us at ease. She's having a little bit of trouble adjusting to the 8 hour days, but who the heck wouldn't.

IMG_2017.jpg

And oh yeah, we went to Disney World!!!!!
IMG_2014.JPG

As soon as I finish up the last day and a half of this trip, we'll get that food extravaganza started.....

Last edited:
Flower and Garden Part Deux

When we last left off Jason and I were starting to feel no pain by Japan, but we had a Flower and Garden Festival to conquer.

Up next was the good ole US of A and The Smokehouse Pavilion.

Here we had an Orlando Brewing Company Grapefruit IPA and the Beef Brisket Burnt Ends Hash.

The pale ale was too much pale, not enough grapefruit for me, but Jason seemed to enjoy it. The burnt ends on the other hand were delicious. The beef itself was tender and perfectly charred and it paired wonderfully with the potatoes and cheesy sauce. The jalapeno's added a nice kick but there were not enough to satisfy our spicy palates.

From there we journeyed to Deutschland for a real Grapefruit Beer

And some much needed carbohydrates for us all

The Schofferhofer was perfect as always (side note for anyone on the East Coast Total Wine now carries it) and pretzel, while nowhere near fresh, hit the proverbial carb (aka soak up the alcohol) spot.

Next stop was Africa for some traditional tribal face painting for Casey :-)

Followed by her eating some slushi candy she'd picked up back in the Japan pavilion.

In just a few short steps we moved from Africa to the Far East where China was calling our names.

To eat we went with the Beef Bun and the Candied Strawberries

Starting with the bun, this was pretty darn good. The beef was tender and had a nice flavor, but was a bit one note. It definitely could have used some sriacha or something else with a bit of heat. The real star was the bun which was simultaneously dense and moist. The strawberries were very, how should I say it....interesting. To start with the actual berries were at the peak of freshness and exceedingly sweet. But having to get to them through what essentially was a lollipop was pretty darn odd. Think I'll stick to chocolate next time.

To drink I made sure to keep the interesting going and got the "Dragon Pearl" which is Beer, Honey, Cream, and Tapioca Pearls.

Clearly those things go together, right? Oddly the answer was right. This had no flavor of beer whatsoever but it wasn't overly sweet and had a nice honey flavor. It was a bit odd to suck up the balls (insert you best 12 year old boy comment here) but they had good flavor and texture.

After all of that we were pretty D.O.N.E. DONE. Jason and I were feeling little pain and apparently the scraps of food and sugar we'd given our child along the way mostly counted as lunch. After a quick stop to meet Dinald (as he was called in my drunken notes) and ride the Mexico ride we called it a day.

All in all, Flower and Garden was a great event. While they don't have as many options as Food & Wine, they also don't have as many crowds, which was nice. I'd be happy eating and drinking my way through either any day of the week.

Up next, the tipsiness continues....

Love the grapefruit beer!! I little birdie told me they have it at the YC CL which has me very stoked for our trip in a few days.

Hope you had a wonderful trip, it was very nice to meet you and your family! We also enjoyed the flower and garden this year! Those strawberries do look interesting, is it syrup on them? Looking forward to more reviews from you!

Great F&G update and love the first day of school picture of your girl! So looking forward to hearing about the latest adventures!

Glad you had a wonderful and long WDW stay (although how could it be anything other than wonderful, being Disney after all?).
Can't wait to read your reviews for that trip.
And congrats on Casey starting kindergarten.

Mmm...! Burnt End Hash! That is so good! Totally with you on your opinion on grapefruit pale ale!

Casey looked very excited for her first day of kindergarten. I must be a bad mom because I never cried when any of them went off to kindergarten. College was a whole different story, though. :)

The strawberries were very, how should I say it....interesting. To start with the actual berries were at the peak of freshness and exceedingly sweet. But having to get to them through what essentially was a lollipop was pretty darn odd. Think I'll stick to chocolate next time.
I'll stick with chocolate, too. That hard coating on top of luscious strawberries is criminal.

Can you get a move on and finish this thing?? :P
Those strawberries just look weird.....
I almost bought that slushi candy for the boys but I wasn't quite sure what is was and didn't realize it was Casey's slushi candy! Is it like gummy candy or hard candy?

Welcome back! I have to agree - nothing beats an afternoon of sipping and snacking around the World! Would really like to be doing that this fine Monday morning instead of going to work!

Looking forward to hearing about your latest adventures!!!

Glad Casey had a great first day. My son is also having trouble going from 3 four hour days at preschool to 5 six and a half hour days of Pre-K. He complains about how long it is but honestly, he does very well there. I think they must keep them very busy, which is good for him...lol.

Love the face painting! I actually want to try the strawberries! Of course, who knows when I'll ever get there for F&G.

Sorry work has been so busy. Hope you get some relief soon.

Glad Casey is enjoying Kindergarten! It can be exhausting, my boys would sometimes come home after school and sleep all the way to the next morning :eek:
That burnt ends hash looks so good, I would have to order with extra jalapeno though.
Are the strawberries like a candy apple but just with strawberries??

Love the grapefruit beer!! I little birdie told me they have it at the YC CL which has me very stoked for our trip in a few days.
You and me both on the beer. I had no idea they had it at YC CL. How awesome! And even more awesome another trip!!!!!!!!

Hope you had a wonderful trip, it was very nice to meet you and your family! We also enjoyed the flower and garden this year! Those strawberries do look interesting, is it syrup on them? Looking forward to more reviews from you!
It was great to meet you and the "real" Andi too :-) The stuff on the strawberries was more like a light candy coating. It would have been fine by itself but it was a bit weird on the strawberries.

Casey is seriously ridiculously cute. I do not understand the strawberries. LOL
You and me both don't understand the strawberries. But somewhere I gather millions of Chinese people do :P

Great F&G update and love the first day of school picture of your girl! So looking forward to hearing about the latest adventures!
Thanks Susan!!!!!

Glad you had a wonderful and long WDW stay (although how could it be anything other than wonderful, being Disney after all?).
Can't wait to read your reviews for that trip.
And congrats on Casey starting kindergarten.
Thanks!!!!!!

Mmm...! Burnt End Hash! That is so good! Totally with you on your opinion on grapefruit pale ale!
Oh so good. You making any trips to the world soon? So jealous you are so close.

Casey looked very excited for her first day of kindergarten. I must be a bad mom because I never cried when any of them went off to kindergarten. College was a whole different story, though. :)
We're all Mom's that take our kids to disney so no bad one's amongst us :P For me it wasn't about her getting older, we missed the school's open house so I literally put her on the bus and sent her away for 8 hours to a place I'd never been with people I'd never met.

I'll stick with chocolate, too. That hard coating on top of luscious strawberries is criminal.
Lock them up for first degree assault on a strawberry!!!!!!

Can you get a move on and finish this thing?? :P
Those strawberries just look weird.....
I almost bought that slushi candy for the boys but I wasn't quite sure what is was and didn't realize it was Casey's slushi candy! Is it like gummy candy or hard candy?
Can I just outsource this dang thing to you so I have hope of finishing :-)

Yep the one and only Casey slushi candy. It's just plain old hard candy. I've never tried it, but I gather her love is all about the slushi look and not the taste.

Welcome back! I have to agree - nothing beats an afternoon of sipping and snacking around the World! Would really like to be doing that this fine Monday morning instead of going to work!

Looking forward to hearing about your latest adventures!!!
Thanks so much! Nothing beats and afternoon of sipping and snacking period, Ep-a-cot just ups the anti a bit :-) And you and me both on doing that instead of work.

Glad Casey had a great first day. My son is also having trouble going from 3 four hour days at preschool to 5 six and a half hour days of Pre-K. He complains about how long it is but honestly, he does very well there. I think they must keep them very busy, which is good for him...lol.

Love the face painting! I actually want to try the strawberries! Of course, who knows when I'll ever get there for F&G.

Sorry work has been so busy. Hope you get some relief soon.
Four hour days to 6.5 sounds like a great transition to kindergarten! Poor casey went from 4 hours a day for 5 days to a full 8 hours and its been very hard even for her usually well adjusted self. She seems to do fine there, but angles to get out of school as soon as she wakes up in the morning.

Glad Casey is enjoying Kindergarten! It can be exhausting, my boys would sometimes come home after school and sleep all the way to the next morning :eek:
That burnt ends hash looks so good, I would have to order with extra jalapeno though.
Are the strawberries like a candy apple but just with strawberries??
I'm sure we'll have some straight to sleep days in store for us!!!! Heck, if only I could come home from work and get away with that too :-)

Oh so good. You making any trips to the world soon? So jealous you are so close.

Just got home on Sunday from opening weekend of Food & Wine! I'll start that dining report once I finish the last of my Hawaii updates. We go back on November 3rd though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter