9 dollar side of fries or broccoli at New Boathouse restaurant

According to the new Boathouse menu: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=648, a side of fries are 9.00. Asparagus hollandaise is 14.00!! these are sides! Do you know how much raw produce you could buy for that amount of money. Anyone planning on trying this restaurant, seems to be out of my price range.

Is everyone who sees the menu going to post a new thread? This must be at least the third thread discussing the cost of the sides I'm amazed that it's okay for Disney to charge obscene amounts were basically a chain restaurant food but these sides. are getting all this attention

Personally I'd rather pay more for good food. Disney food is not worth the current pricing

Many of the new restaurants at Disney Springs are reportedly going to be high end and not accept the DDP. I'm hoping that will keep the quality of the food higher than other places.

DTD was like that at one point, but eventually caved and all accept DDP now. I'll be interested to see how long these new places can go before they start accepting DDP too.

That being said, even though we get DDP, I have no problem paying OOP at a place that doesn't accept it. The Boathouse's menu is not my cup of tea, which is moreso the reason we aren't super anxious to try it. Now when Morimoto opens, that is one I am excited to try and probably will do so regardless of the costs.

Last edited:
Is everyone who sees the menu going to post a new thread? This must be at least the third thread discussing the cost of the sides I'm amazed that it's okay for Disney to charge obscene amounts were basically a chain restaurant food but these sides. are getting all this attention

Personally I'd rather pay more for good food. Disney food is not worth the current pricing

Lol I know, it's almost comical. They're on par with or cheaper than every upscale steakhouse I've ever gone to and they're intended to be shared. They'll be happy to see it say $4.50 on their menu for one, but have a meltdown if they see it for $10 but serves 3 people :magnify:.

The restaurant looks good, I think they could have went with a more upscale appearance than what it currently looks like.
The prices are going to catch a lot of people off-guard because the appearance looks like juiced up Red Lobster (excluding to two nicer section layouts, the wood chairs, fisherman theme with comical boat tables) mixed with a party concept from the huge wrap-around bar and not to mention being ferried across the water in toy-ish amphicars.
If it's the same quality has their management's flagship locations we've eaten at in Chi-town, Gibson Steakhouse, then it's as chain as Ruth Chris and I'd go to Shula's for equivalent pricing.

I get you on the chain restaurant deal with most of Disney's offerings, but the signatures haven't let us down - yet. I've had better meals at Narcoossee's, Yachtsman and Artist Point than I had at Gibsons, though the staff quality was far greater at Gibsons.

As for pricing, we only go during free dining, despite it doesn't change how we'd dine or order.
During free dining, we're paying to upgrade:
$99/couple/night from Regular to Deluxe
$135/couple/night from Quick Service to Deluxe

$155 Average for 3-courses at a signature in the evening
$75 Average for 3-courses lunch at noon.
$20 daily in snacks
$10 equivalent in resort soft-drinks
$260 Daily Average OOP
$99-$135 Daily During Free Dining

We're getting 50% off our daily food purchases, so for us it makes the signatures (which I wouldn't mind OOP, a 'steal' on the plan since we dine this way).

Last edited:
According to the new Boathouse menu: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=648, a side of fries are 9.00. Asparagus hollandaise is 14.00!! these are sides! Do you know how much raw produce you could buy for that amount of money. Anyone planning on trying this restaurant, seems to be out of my price range.

Vegetable sides are in a siminar $9 - $12 range at other restaurants too, for example http://allears.net/dining/menu/yachtsman-steakhouse/dinner

$21 for a side of mushrooms! :eek: Im with you, I doubt i'll be checking this place out anytime soon.

Although I guess the prices arent far off from Cali Grill or Citricos for example.

It's a little pricy for me. I would rather go to Yachtsman for those prices. Especially in Florida where there are lots of places to get good seafood at a more reasonable price. Maybe once on a special occasion. The food looks good but man. I'm glad to see that DTD will also have more affordable options as they move forward.

Ok but I saw a photo of the menu on instagram and it's different than that menu. :) The sides aren't $21. The asparagus and mushrooms are $12 and there are sides on the menu that aren't listed on wdwinfo's menu, like a pound of roasted new potatoes.
Great, $12 makes more sense for mushrooms. Thanks for clarifying. Although still, $12 for mushrooms? :scratchin No thanks. :lmao:

Great, $12 makes more sense for mushrooms. Thanks for clarifying. Although still, $12 for mushrooms? :scratchin No thanks. :lmao:

The sides are meant to be shared between 2-3 people. So you're paying $4-$6 for mushrooms.

At our local Montana's to add mushrooms to the steak dish as a side it's an extra $6. So the Proce doesn't seem unreasonable.

By nature, I am a frugal person. However, I do not think this menu is even close to what I would call "expensive". I went to a little cafe yesterday for lunch - a side of cottage cheese was $4.50, a side of bacon was almost $5. And, a side of steamed broccoli was $4.75. For one. At a tiny little corner cafe in St. Paul, MN, $12 for a shared, better tasting side, that I eat 1) on vacation and, 2) at a place overlooking the water...I am ok with.

Looking at the menu, we would get out of there for about $200 before alcohol and tax/tip. I think that is a great price for better food, nice atmosphere, in a vacation destination. Can barely get out of most standard table service at WDW for under that (family of 4...)

Expensive is relative. If you're used to getting burgers at the Plaza, the Boathouse comes with some sticker shock. But if you're used to signature dining at Cali Grill, this menu is on par. Just depends on what people like and how they usually dine.

this restaurant is NOT DISNEY. They are leasing space from Disney, that's it. This restuarant is operated by the Gibsons Steakhouse group from Chicago.

Expensive is relative. If you're used to getting burgers at the Plaza, the Boathouse comes with some sticker shock. But if you're used to signature dining at Cali Grill, this menu is on par. Just depends on what people like and how they usually dine.

It also might depend on where you are from too. I've lived in NYC for pretty much all of my life so to me I see $9 fries on a menu and think "wow kind of cheap for fries for 2." I mean I live in a city where just plain pancakes at a diner can run $12.95 so $12 mushrooms wouldn't even make me bat at an eyelash.

OT, but I LOVE Scupper's numbered responses. They're always so easy and clear to read, imo!:love2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter