8 Days of DDP! First-Our review of Liberty Tree Tavern

Sounds like a cute shirt! All I had on was a drippy, sweaty tank top HA HA HA Seems like that was the shirt of the week last week! EVERYBODY was wearin' them! :lmao:

That's one of the pluses of going in January...tank tops aren't part of the normal attire. I've got to work on our t-shirts for this year. Maybe I'll work on a Donald one where we change the name to Chef Donald's.

Fantastic reviews and many of them are places we are going to in October and November. Can't wait for more.

Thanks again for your replies! :)

Thursday, 8-9

After spending the day at Epcot, we had a 7:30 reservation for Rose and Crown at United Kingdom. I had read that this was the perfect time to be seated out on the patio before Illuminations starts at 9. Well, we checked in at about 7:35 and waited maybe 10 minutes or so. The CM said they could not guarantee us a patio seat, but to ask the person that seats us. So we did that and nope, it wasn't to be. We were seated inside. Bummer.

We had an exceptional waitress named Jenni, who was more than helpful with our menus, our DDP and with taking us out to their private viewing area to see Illuminations at 9 pm. She held our dinners back for the perfect timing to eat--and then to go out and watch the show, and then come back in and eat our dessert. The restaurant wasn't crowded at all, but apparently the patio was.

For starters, I ordered the Fruit and Cheese Plate ($8.99) Irish Cheddar, Mushroom Brie, and Stilton Pastry with individual accompaniments. Which included walnuts, grapes, pastry, and cold caramelized onions (?) Ok, I'm a hick, so I didn't know quite what to do with this fancy food in order to eat it properly, so I managed my way around it and found it to be something I probably wouldn't order again. I left most of the cheese, and ate the fruit, nuts and pastry. I really tried to like it, but I couldn't get the feel for these things going together in my mouth. Here's the pic:

Picture013.jpg

DH ordered the Mixed Greens Salad (5.49)---Mr. Living on the Edge, huh. He was concerned about Stilton Cheese Dressing, but said it was good. No pics---it was your basic salad. DS ordered the potato leek soup and beef and macaroni. (7.49)

For our entrees, I ordered the Harry Ramsden's Fish and Chips ($15.99) which was battered fresh cod and french fries. I was looking forward to trying this and was ready for a change and something different from what we had been eating all week. It was good, but not over the top good. It was sort of really greasy and I ended up not eating most of the batter. I only ate a few fries as I was saving up for dessert. Here's the pic:

Picture014.jpg

DH ordered the Steak and Fish ($23.99) Grilled steak with demi glace sauce, green beans and mashed potatoes and a piece of Harry's fish. I still don't know how these two go together, but whatever. He didn't even eat the fish, he said it wasn't anything special. Sorry, I didn't get a picture as this is where my camera ran out of room. I didn't even get the pictures of our desserts. In which mine was the sticky toffee pudding ($4.99) steamed pudding cake with warm vanilla custard and hot butter rum sauce. I asked the server which she thought was better, that or the chocolate torte---she said she recommended the pudding. I think I should have opted for the torte, because the cake was soooo dry with not much sauce on it at all. It was like a spice cake in a little miniature Bundt pan, turned upside down with a little warm vanilla sauce on it. Sorry, I just didn't care for it much. I left 3/4 of it.

DH ordered the Warm Apple Crumble, which he said was ok, but nothing extra special about it either. DS had the build your own sundae. ($92.57 + 4.97)

I don't think we would return to Rose and Crown. It really wasn't that great of a meal. The service was outstanding, but the seating arrangement has to go. Maybe I was supposed to slip someone a $20? Ohhh and the preferred standing location was a hoot too. I got placed (I'm 5'2") in the back row behind a man that was over 6' tall, so I saw nothing. But at least the crowd was kind enough to let my little son go to the front of the row so he could see. I did appreciate that.

Friday, 8-10

We spent the day lounging by the pool and hotel and then made our way to Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge. We had a 5:00 reservation and arrived shortly before. They are closed from 3:00 - 5:00. We checked in and got seated in about 10 minutes. Back by the fireplace again and away from the antics and the main reason we had gone there again. We ate here 2 years ago and sat by the fireplace then too and were disappointed, so here we are again, totally disappointed. Why does this always happen to us? Are we that unfun looking??

Anyway, we weren't even hungry before we sat down for this meal, so that's a bad sign already. We had eaten a late lunch at the hotel, and I tried to change the reservation, but there were not open spots. I guess we could have cancelled, and we should have.

We were at the point of the week where we just didn't know what to order anymore. So we both just opted for the skillet ($22.49) (which is what we had 2 years ago). DS ordered a cheeseburger and fries came with it--why don't they tell you that so your child can order something else instead? He doesn't even like fries that much and didn't even touch them.

We started out with a mango smoothie which was very good (4.29 each). DS had an apple juice. She brought the skillet out and I'm sorry, but we both think this is the biggest ripoff if 2 people order it. It comes with Mixed greens with apple vinaigrette dressing, fresh baked cornbread with mashed potatoes, coleslaw, cowboy beans and seasonal vegetables.
Smoked pork ribs, pulled pork, oven-roasted chicken, Peel-n-Eat shrimp.

Ok, the coleslaw is in a little tin cup, that is MAYBE 2 small forkfuls. There is very few mashed potatoes, and the beans are about 1/2 cup in the center of the skillet (that taste like they have taco seasoning in them). The "seasonal vegetables" are 2 small ears of corn (like those mini Green Giant ones). The ribs were so black and dry you couldn't even chew them. The pulled pork was ok. DH said the chicken was excellent, I didn't have any, because I ate the shrimp. I had a few shrimp in there that were questionable---and later that night I think that's what had me praying to the porcelain Gods. I won't be eating shrimp for quite awhile.

If I were a large eater, I could probably have eaten this whole skillet myself. So when 2 people order it, they are definitely making out on the customer. I guess if I were wise and REALLY hungry, I could have ordered a meal and he could have ordered the skillet and we could have shared. We just feel this is overly priced for the contents of it.

Dessert was smores cheesecake for myself ($5.49) (which was very good) and a nice break from all that meat. DH ordered a Banana Dustbowl ($5.49) and he said it was ok, but didn't eat it all. DS ordered worms n dirt ($1.75).

There were lots of pony riding and hollering going on, but we could only hear it, not see it. I'm sorry to all of you WCC fans out there, but we are crossing this place off for next time. The server was not friendly at all either and would come by our table and ignore us while waiting on the other table that was connected to the same bench as ours. This was one of those meals where the 18% tip was definitely not warranted, sorry. Yes, she carried our food out, but she did not ask for any beverage refills (with empty glasses sitting in eyes view), she acted like it was just a bother to wait on us. If you hate your job that much at Disney, you should just stay home. ($87.50 + $4.97)

Next will be Le Cellier--MAYBE with pics, as I used my video camera to take some still ones, but not quite sure if they came out. It was soooo dark in there and I had my night shot on.

Do you have any pics of your rainforest cafe meal?? Love your reviews and pics so far..

Sorry, I wish I did. The nachos were just tri-colored chips with the fixin's and the turkey wrap wasn't dressed up or anything. Just that and some potato chips on a plate. Thanks for the kind comments!

If I were a large eater, I could probably have eaten this whole skillet myself. So when 2 people order it, they are definitely making out on the customer. I guess if I were wise and REALLY hungry, I could have ordered a meal and he could have ordered the skillet and we could have shared. We just feel this is overly priced for the contents of it.

Thanks for your reviews! Isn't the WCC skillet "all you care to eat"? We haven't been there for a few years, but I know we ordered refills on some of those items. Sorry that the shrimp wasn't good.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your reviews!

Thanks for your reviews! Isn't the WCC skillet "all you care to eat"? We haven't been there for a few years, but I know we ordered refills on some of those items. Sorry that the shrimp wasn't good.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your reviews!

Yes, it is all you care to eat---barring you get food that is edible and a waitress that would "care" to even bother asking if you'd like more of anything. We weren't hungry anyway, so it's just as well. It's still overpriced for 2 people. There were some good shrimp and some bad shrimp mixed in there. One more review to go, and then it's time to write up my trip report! :)

Yes, it is all you care to eat---barring you get food that is edible and a waitress that would "care" to even bother asking if you'd like more of anything. We weren't hungry anyway, so it's just as well. It's still overpriced for 2 people. There were some good shrimp and some bad shrimp mixed in there. One more review to go, and then it's time to write up my trip report! :)

Got it. Sorry you had a bad experience there, between the food and the server. We have an ADR there in November, so I was hoping to read a good review.

Great reports, though!

Got it. Sorry you had a bad experience there, between the food and the server. We have an ADR there in November, so I was hoping to read a good review.

Great reports, though!

Thanks--and just because we might have had 2 bad trips there, with 2 bad servers and not-so-great food doesn't mean that others would have the same. Our first trip there had left us so undecided that we tried it again---same food, same bad service, so that takes care of WCC for us again! I just LOVE the lodge though, what a beautiful place. I hope your experience is better and you enjoy it! :)

Thanks for the great reviews! I agree with you about Crystal Palace's breakfast lasagna. I love their breakfast food with that exception.

Great reviews. I am going to Crystal Palace for my first breakfast when I arrive. I can't wait.

Ohhh, I love the pictures!!!!! Great reviews!!!!

Great report! Looking forward to reading more! :cool1:

We'll be at many of the same places in less than a month. :banana:

Thanks!

Great reviews. I am going to Crystal Palace for my first breakfast when I arrive. I can't wait.

Thanks everybody! :)

I think Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's breakfast is a definite way to start a Disney vacation!! Have fun!

Sunday, 8/12

This was our last full day at WDW, so to end it with a "bang"--we opted to try Le Cellier at Epcot in Canada. Our reservations were for 2:40, and we arrived early at around 2:10 because we had pretty much done everything we wanted to do at Epcot that morning and just landed there about that time. When I checked in, I explained that we were early, and she said we can't guarantee you'll get seated right away. I said I understand, no problem--it's just when we landed here, so we'll just wait.

Well, we no longer had our butts in the seat and we got called in about 2 minutes. There was NO LINE whatsover at this time of day.

The restaurant is very dark, but we thought it was very nice. We were greeted by Kelly and a trainee. Kelly was a superb waitress, asking us if it was our first time there and we said yes. So she made some recommendations, such as the pretzel bread, cheese soup and filet. In which DH and I both ordered a Niagara Refresher as a drink---which was mango, cranberry with a twist of lime (DS also got one in a "big persons" glass---that was tricky) :scared1: We both ordered the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup ($4.99) which was very good and the 5 oz. Filet Mignon which was served over cream cheese mashed potatoes finished with a roasted garlic demi-glace ($21.99) DS ordered the steak dinner also which came with steak fries. We all thought the meal was excellent. The service was fast and friendly and they couldn't have been nicer to us. Oh and btw, the breadsticks that they brought out were very good also. Multigrain, sourdough and 2 pretzel sticks. Yum yum.

For dessert I had the Chocolate Whiskey Cake ($7.99) and DH had the Chocolate "Moose" ($4.99) very cute and DS had the Sundae. The cake was very good, but must be loaded with caffeine, because I only slept 3 hours, IF that, that night. DH said the moose was good, and of course DS's sundae was good too. ($103.73 +$7.46)

I'm sorry, I did take pics at Le Cellier, but it was with my video camera and it was so dark in the restaurant that they didn't come out. They all look black and white because I used the night shot. (I really hate my videocamera).

This concludes my review of 8 days of the Disney Dining Plan. We have decided that the plan just isn't for us. It was nice not having to carry any money with us or figuring out tips, but it just controlled our vacation too much. Maybe if the crowds weren't so heavy, we could have had more time to stroll and enjoy things, but we were always "on the clock" to get to our next ADR. The one day we didn't have any reservations was soooo nice and relaxing, we did enjoy that thoroughly.

We had a couple really good meals (Le Cellier and The Concourse), but we probably wouldn't have paid out of pocket for these before. So to figure out if we actually "saved" by getting the DDP is hard to do. When we went 2 years ago, we ate at Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, 50's Primetime, Whispering Canyon, San Angel Inn for our "TS" and paid with our Disney Rewards Card, then ate at CS's for the rest of our meals and it wasn't near the pressure or stress. We had a $536 Disney Rewards card to spend this trip and we still came home with over $200 on it, so we could have used that for our "fancy" meals and just paid out of pocket for the rest and still been ahead of the DDP. It was just way too much food for us and we were totally sick of food by the end of our 9 days.

To each his own though. To everybody that enjoys it---way to go!:) Thanks for reading our thoughts and reviews, I enjoyed writing this up and taking the pics. Watching my 7 year old son shove his plate to me before he dug in was quite comical...it was like "hurry up Ma, take the picture so I can eat!" :lmao: I hope to start writing up our trip report in the next week or so---with school starting back up, it's a busy time of year. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter