7 Days of Dining at Disney - April 2015 - Finished! 12/30 San Angel Inn

Since we were having an early dinner I opted for the Couscous Quinoa and Arugula Salad.
sounds yummy!
I really enjoyed this salad. It had great flavor and was surprisingly hearty and filling. At 7.50 I thought it was a good bargain. :thumbsup2 I even found a photo of online for you.

abc-commissary-couscous-quinoa-and-arugula-salad-jpg.99896
Oh my goodness that salad looks tasty! Quinoa is so versatile it is neat to see it being used at Disney QS! Can't wait to read about your dinner and Fantasmic package!

Day 5: Mama Melrose's Fantasmic! Dinner Package

We had an early dinner ADR (5:10) at Mama Melrose's for the Fantasmic! package. At the last minute my good friend decided to join us for the day so I tried to add her to the reservation. I didn't have any luck via the MDE app or with the concierge at YC so I went by the restaurant at around 11 to ask. They assured us that it would not be a problem, just advised us to come just a few minutes early. I also informed them that she has food allergies.

We arrived at the restaurant at 5:00 and were given a pager. We browsed in the nearby shops for a few minutes before the pager went off. We were seated at a large booth and ordered our drinks. Our server who was really great gave us our Fantasmic! tickets.

For our appetizer we had the calamari. I don't have a picture but if you've seen one plate of friend squid you've seen them all, am I right? The calamari was fine, not bad but nothing special. Coincidentally Calamari is our state's official appetizer. That's right. Our state government actually spent a lot of time and taxpayer money to make it official. :rolleyes2

So my friend's allergies as I mentioned are extensive. She has a long list of them and some are quite unusual. If you put too much thought into it you might start to question the logic of them so I just choose to be amused at the ordeal when she orders food at restaurants. :rolleyes1

Well the chef spent a lot of time going back and forth from the kitchen to our table before she was satisfied with what she ordered. I was very impressed with the care and effort they put into making sure she was happy with her meal. I tuned most of it out but I believe it was gluten free pasta, maybe chicken, some veggies and pesto. She really enjoyed it.

DSC_0822TR.jpg

I had the fish of the day.

DSC_0821TR.jpg

I can't remember what the fish was, maybe corvina? :confused: It was served with
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Smoked Bacon, Mushrooms, Wilted Greens, and a Celery Root Beurre Blanc.

This was delicious. It was probably my favorite meal 2nd only to bluezoo. The fish was perfectly cooked and the veggies and sauce added some great flavor.

The boys each had
Grilled Chicken Breast - Chicken Breast with Whole-Grain Pilaf, Green Beans, Carrots, and Sliced Apples.

• DSC_0823TR.jpg
This was right up their alley. They enjoyed it. DH had plain old Spaghetti and Meatballs. He liked it, he always likes pasta with red sauce.

DSC_0829TR.jpg

I'm glad we made early reservations because the meal dragged on quite a bit with all of the allergy back-and-forth. My friend and I ended up splitting a bottle of wine. The boys were pretty bored and DH spent the whole time entertaining them while I chatted with my friend. :laughing:

Finally it came time for dessert. The boys got ice cream and we got a trio plate.

DSC_0831TR.jpg

DSC_0833TR.jpg

I'm sure the boys liked the ice cream. I can't remember much about our desserts. I don't think it was anything special. :confused3 We were just ready to leave at that point.

By the time we made it over to Fantasmic! There were seats available only at the back of the reserved section but we still had a great view of the show. I would definitely recommend the dining package just to take the stress out of finding a seat for Fantasmic! We have great Italian food restaurants in our city so I was skeptical but we all liked the food at Mama Melrose's.

Crystal Palace is next.

Last edited:
We had an early dinner ADR (5:10) at Mama Melrose's for the Fantasmic! package.
This seems a great way to try a new restaurant and to get to watch the show!
They assured us that it would not be a problem, just advised us to come just a few minutes early. I also informed them that she has food allergies.
Cool that they were able to work with you and add to the reservation.
Coincidentally Calamari is our state's official appetizer. That's right. Our state government actually spent a lot of time and taxpayer money to make it official. :rolleyes2
I don't think our state has an appetizer per say but if we did I'll bet it would contain salmon. lol.
some are quite unusual
Okay, I tried so hard not to ask but what are her unusual ones? Does she have Celiac disease? Are they allergies or intolerances?
If you put too much thought into it you might start to question the logic of them so I just choose to be amused at the ordeal when she orders food at restaurants. :rolleyes1
so curious

dsc_0821tr-jpg.99903
You fish looks nice, the skin crispy, and nice plating. :)
There were seats available only at the back of the reserved section but we still had a great view of the show.
So glad that you got to see the show!

After lunch and riding Star Tours we stopped into The Writer's Stop for the carrot cake cookie I'd heard so much about. I had some trouble finding it because it does not look like what I'd pictured. It's HUGE! I was definitely not looking for something the size of a dinner plate! :eek: I kid. More the size of a dessert plate.
I keep reading so much about this here on the DIS! I'm going to try to make it a MUST EAT on my next trip!

We have great Italian food restaurants in our city so I was skeptical but we all liked the food at Mama Melrose's.
It makes me happy to see good reviews of Mama Melrose, since there's so many bad ones out there. The next time I have a need for a dinner ADR in HS, this is my choice, I'm looking forward to trying it some day!

ABC Commissary was close by and she thought she could probably have a burger so off we went. The place wasn't on my radar at all since I had no interest in eating there so I was apprehensive.
We ate at ABC a few years ago too, because of the proximity. Unfortunately our meal didn't turn out as well so we haven't gone back. But from the looks of your salad (or should I saw the internet picture salad) they are making an effort to get better.

Since we were having an early dinner I opted for the Couscous Quinoa and Arugula Salad. They have the option of getting this with chicken or salmon but I just had it plain. I really enjoyed this salad. It had great flavor and was surprisingly hearty and filling. At 7.50 I thought it was a good bargain. :thumbsup2
This looks really good and like something I would definitely order.

I had some trouble finding it because it does not look like what I'd pictured. It's HUGE! I was definitely not looking for something the size of a dinner plate!
Love, love, love the carrot cake cookie.

Coincidentally Calamari is our state's official appetizer. That's right. Our state government actually spent a lot of time and taxpayer money to make it official.
Go Rhode Island you calamari loving people you ; ) Of course you made me google state foods curious what good ole VA had in that department. Sadly we have no state food ; (

If you put too much thought into it you might start to question the logic of them so I just choose to be amused at the ordeal when she orders food at restaurants. :rolleyes1
I have a friend like this too. I usually just sip my wine and smile.

This looks great!!!! I've been reading lots of Mama Melrose reviews lately and it looks like its a bit of a hidden gem. May try it for lunch instead of the usual scifi on an upcoming trip.

Sounds like a good HS day...your Quinoa salad looked pretty good actually...something I will take note of because I will probably want a light lunch...so I can get that carrot cake cookie. Seriously...that's part of my reason for going to HS at all lol...kidding...sorta :) . Also I was debating that Mama Melrose package thing...still am as I'm not sure about our dinner plans for our HS day...so many choices. I'm glad you thought it was worthwhile though.

For our appetizer we had the calamari. I don't have a picture but if you've seen one plate of friend squid you've seen them all, am I right? The calamari was fine, not bad but nothing special. Coincidentally Calamari is our state's official appetizer. That's right. Our state government actually spent a lot of time and taxpayer money to make it official. :rolleyes2

I'm enjoying your report! Didn't realize we were from the same area until you mentioned the calamari!!!!
So, hi neighbor!!!:wave2:

It is kind of comical how huge the carrot cake cookie is in person. It's super good, though, and a must-try.

Yum to your salad. I'm a big fan of couscous, quinoa, and arugula and it's good to know there's a lighter option in HS for really hot days.

How did you find the seats for Fantasmic! with your package? I've been wanting to try it, but always end up backing out. Lately I've been seeing great reviews for MM and for HBD, so it's becoming more intriguing to me. Your fish looks delicious, for sure.

I was kinda looking forward to " I'll have the gluten free pasta with the broccoli, but not boiled broccoli, I want it steamed, and on the side. And only if it's from an organic farm. If it's not organic I'll just have the gluten free pasta but I want to mix the pesto in myself." True Sally style :rotfl2:

In all seriousness, I'm glad they were sensitive to your friends allergy needs. That's really cool. It sounds like you had a nice dinner with her and it was great that she was able to drive up and meet you there!

I've never heard of a state having an official appetizer!!! I'm afraid of what Colorado's might be...Rocky Mountain oysters perhaps:worried: Blech....

Cool that they were able to work with you and add to the reservation.

I thought it was so strange that they couldn't just add one person to the reservation. I thought it would be so easy to just squeeze her onto the same table or booth that they had designated for us. I wonder if those systems think of it as her needing a whole separate table? It didn't matter because as I'd hoped when we checked with the actual restaurant it was no problem. Just caused a little stress leading up to it. :hyper:

I don't think our state has an appetizer per say but if we did I'll bet it would contain salmon. lol.

I think I would love it. Salmon is my favorite!

Okay, I tried so hard not to ask but what are her unusual ones? Does she have Celiac disease? Are they allergies or intolerances?

I need to preface this by saying that I don't suffer from food allergies so I hope this doesn't come off as unsympathetic. I don't really know all of them. Wheat, corn, soy, shellfish, pineapple are ones that come to mind. I think wheat and shellfish are pretty common. I know one other person who has a pineapple allergy. Corn's a tough one because it's in everything. She can't even tolerate corn syrup. I don't know if she has celiac. She calls them allergies.

so curious

I've known her since high school and the only allergy she had until probably 5 years ago was shellfish. She's always been difficult in restaurants (we tease her about Sally's ordering in When Harry Met Sally) but now she's impossible. I tell her this to her face so it's ok. :laughing: The comment about the logic was for inconsistencies. For example, at Mama's she refused a beef dish because the restaurant could not confirm that the beef was grass fed or not fed corn. She had no such concern with her burger at ABC Commissary. :rolleyes1

You fish looks nice, the skin crispy, and nice plating.

I never serve fish with the skin on. I need to start doing that. ::yes::

It makes me happy to see good reviews of Mama Melrose, since there's so many bad ones out there. The next time I have a need for a dinner ADR in HS, this is my choice, I'm looking forward to trying it some day!

I had just dismissed it but after reading some good reviews recently here on the DIS I thought the Fantasmic! package was a good option. I thought we'd just order safe foods but I really liked my fish dish.

We ate at ABC a few years ago too, because of the proximity. Unfortunately our meal didn't turn out as well so we haven't gone back. But from the looks of your salad (or should I saw the internet picture salad) they are making an effort to get better.

I wonder if they are upping their game or we just got lucky but it was good.

Love, love, love the carrot cake cookie.

Me, too! :yay:

Go Rhode Island you calamari loving people you ; ) Of course you made me google state foods curious what good ole VA had in that department. Sadly we have no state food ; (

It's because VA isn't as ridiculous as RI. I'm sure they had more pressing issues than a state appetizer. Not even state food. State appetizer! :furious:

I have a friend like this too. I usually just sip my wine and smile.

It's really the only way to deal with it. :thumbsup2

This looks great!!!! I've been reading lots of Mama Melrose reviews lately and it looks like its a bit of a hidden gem. May try it for lunch instead of the usual scifi on an upcoming trip.

I'd also read the good reviews so we tried it. I said above that I thought we'd just order safe stuff but I thought my fish was really well prepared. :thumbsup2 I need to try Sci Fi next time. Those fried pickles are calling my name. :laughing:

Sounds like a good HS day...your Quinoa salad looked pretty good actually...something I will take note of because I will probably want a light lunch...so I can get that carrot cake cookie. Seriously...that's part of my reason for going to HS at all lol...kidding...sorta :) . Also I was debating that Mama Melrose package thing...still am as I'm not sure about our dinner plans for our HS day...so many choices. I'm glad you thought it was worthwhile though.

It was so good and you can get it with chicken or salmon if you're hungrier. Believe me, the carrot cake cookie was high on my agenda for HS. It was mostly the reason for my lighter lunch. :thumbsup2 I liked the package. The food was good and it relieved the stress of getting a good seat for Fantasmic!

I'm enjoying your report! Didn't realize we were from the same area until you mentioned the calamari!!!!
So, hi neighbor!!!:wave2:

:welcome: neighbor! I hope it doesn't offend your Rhody pride when I complain about the state govt. :rotfl2:

It is kind of comical how huge the carrot cake cookie is in person. It's super good, though, and a must-try.

Yum to your salad. I'm a big fan of couscous, quinoa, and arugula and it's good to know there's a lighter option in HS for really hot days.

How did you find the seats for Fantasmic! with your package? I've been wanting to try it, but always end up backing out. Lately I've been seeing great reviews for MM and for HBD, so it's becoming more intriguing to me. Your fish looks delicious, for sure.

It's so good and the size makes it easy to split. Although I'd be able to finish one on my own no problem. The salad was so good. The kalamata olives really added flavor. The Fantasmic! seats were great. Like I said they were higher up but in the center so the view was fantastic. :thumbsup2

I'm enjoying your report! Can't wait to hear more!

Thank you! :wave2:

I was kinda looking forward to " I'll have the gluten free pasta with the broccoli, but not boiled broccoli, I want it steamed, and on the side. And only if it's from an organic farm. If it's not organic I'll just have the gluten free pasta but I want to mix the pesto in myself." True Sally style :rotfl2:

In all seriousness, I'm glad they were sensitive to your friends allergy needs. That's really cool. It sounds like you had a nice dinner with her and it was great that she was able to drive up and meet you there!

I've never heard of a state having an official appetizer!!! I'm afraid of what Colorado's might be...Rocky Mountain oysters perhaps:worried: Blech....

Oh, when I read your comment on my TR and you said you'd come over here I feared you'd be disappointed. :sad2: I kind of tuned out the particulars and I don't really want to make her sound bad because I love her so. But yeah, your example is very much like how she orders at restaurants. And that was before all these new food allergies. :rotfl:

Disney service is top notch and Mama's was great like any great restaurant. We went to a restaurant up here for Christmas 2 years ago and we had a similar experience - server going back and forth to the kitchen multiple times to get it right. That particular restaurant is one of the top-rated restaurants on Yelp.

Only our state would spend time and money to have an official appetizer. It's ludicrous. :laughing: What are Rocky Mountain oysters? Are they like ocean oysters we have here?

I tried it once and will never go back to ABC. It was worse than two day old fast food. I'm glad you had a better experience.

I had kind of expected the same and was surprised that it was good. But it was good. :goodvibes

:grouphug: Oh no! Not disapointed at all ;) I love your DR and love it even more that you are a very good friend to respect her allergies and " ordering style".

I just couldn't help it :rotfl:

If you must know Rocky Mountain oysters are cow testicles that they fry up and some insane people who live here actually eat them. Totally nasty :crazy2: kind of a cowboy thing I guess. Not commonly seen on menu's here but it was the only unique thing to Colorado I could think of !

This is a silly question - but you mentioned the dinner package taking the stress out of finding a spot for Fantasmic...I guess I should look this up but...is Fantasmic a parade?? As in...are there lots of places to watch it from? Until I read your report our plans for HS day had been to go back to our hotel for a break and eat dinner and then head back to HS just for that...but if we show up right before...I wonder if we'll be able to find somewhere to watch...I mean...I know we won't necessarily be comfortable and that's fine but...my DD isn't the type to want to stake out a spot and just wait for a parade...

This is a silly question - but you mentioned the dinner package taking the stress out of finding a spot for Fantasmic...I guess I should look this up but...is Fantasmic a parade?? As in...are there lots of places to watch it from? Until I read your report our plans for HS day had been to go back to our hotel for a break and eat dinner and then head back to HS just for that...but if we show up right before...I wonder if we'll be able to find somewhere to watch...I mean...I know we won't necessarily be comfortable and that's fine but...my DD isn't the type to want to stake out a spot and just wait for a parade...

Fantasmic! Isn't a parade. There are stadium style seats to watch the fireworks show. I wouldn't guess the view is very good from anywhere else sits it's situated way at the back of the park. There's also a boat that goes by with all the characters. I guess the water is almost like a moat between the seats and the stage where the Mickey is. I hope that makes sense. I'll post pictures in my TR soon. When you get the Fantasmic! package you get tickets that allow you to sit in a special section. We got there late and still got a good seat. I think people start showing up pretty early to get a seat. It was packed on the night we were there so I was happy to have the passes. I hope that makes sense.

Really enjoying your report. :tigger:

:welcome: Thank you for letting me know.

Great MM review! It's on must try list for a future trip :thumbsup2

Thank you! It was much better than I'd thought it would be. Worth the try, I think.

:grouphug: Oh no! Not disapointed at all ;) I love your DR and love it even more that you are a very good friend to respect her allergies and " ordering style".

I just couldn't help it :rotfl:

If you must know Rocky Mountain oysters are cow testicles that they fry up and some insane people who live here actually eat them. Totally nasty :crazy2: kind of a cowboy thing I guess. Not commonly seen on menu's here but it was the only unique thing to Colorado I could think of !

Oh, wow. That is really gross. :crazy2:

I need to preface this by saying that I don't suffer from food allergies so I hope this doesn't come off as unsympathetic. I don't really know all of them. Wheat, corn, soy, shellfish, pineapple are ones that come to mind. I think wheat and shellfish are pretty common. I know one other person who has a pineapple allergy. Corn's a tough one because it's in everything. She can't even tolerate corn syrup. I don't know if she has celiac. She calls them allergies.
I wonder if she's been tested or is self diagnosed? My body does not process garlic or onions well at all and I have tummy issues with them and often a red rash on my face if I consume much of either- I love garlic so this part kind of bites lol.
The comment about the logic was for inconsistencies. For example, at Mama's she refused a beef dish because the restaurant could not confirm that the beef was grass fed or not fed corn. She had no such concern with her burger at ABC Commissary. :rolleyes1
Odd that. o_O I would laugh as well.
The salad was so good. The kalamata olives really added flavor.
That does sound nice!
What are Rocky Mountain oysters?
As this has been answered I'll only add they can be bull, pig, or sheep in...origin... I think they are featured in an '80's movie called "the Great Outdoors" as well. ;)
When you get the Fantasmic! package you get tickets that allow you to sit in a special section. We got there late and still got a good seat. I think people start showing up pretty early to get a seat. It was packed on the night we were there so I was happy to have the passes.
It sounds like the package was a very good thing for you guys, glad you had it! :D

New follower here! Your report was one of those....I was in another thread (can't remember now....) and one thing lead to another and I was here. Haha! AND I just binged read the whole thing! I swear nearly all your choices are either some of my tried and true favorites OR are at the top of my must try list.

If you are staying at YC/BC, Beaches and Cream is a must. I once made the mistake of getting both fries and onion rings but of all places you can't do that there (you need to save room for dessert). No Way Jose is perfect.

Interesting about the free babysitting with the Blue Zoo receipt. The helpful info you learn on the DIS!

I am obsessed with that falafel burger at the GFC. I haven't actually HAD it yet but I've been dying to and your review just made me need it even more.

Sorry your CCH choices weren't the best. We love it there (the Lighthouse Sandwich is the way to go). My daughter only eats shrimp from there. Like ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter