7 Days of Dining at Disney - April 2015 - Finished! 12/30 San Angel Inn

Loving your report so far! The Flower and Garden booth choices look so good, especially your key lime wine!

Your lunch at GFC looks so delicious, also. I haven't been there in quite some time, but may have to make a repeat visit. I'm really craving french onion soup now. Yum!

:welcome: Thank you! The key lime wine was so good! I wish I could find it here. GFC was a great break from the parks for lunch.

I hate it when you get stuck with dud table mates! It makes the experience so much more fun if they would lighten up! We got a dud family on our Disney Cruise this past September. 2 nights of forced conversation after 2 nights of them not even acknowledging us! Painful :sad2:

They should know what they're getting into. If they don't enjoy being seated with others, they should go somewhere else. It really ruins it for everyone.

We ate at the Biergarten in January. For us it was okay nothing spectacular but ok. I enjoyed the sausage and the baked macaroni thing they had. The show was the highlight for us those guys were a lot of fun.

I wish I'd had the baked macaroni and I also saw salmon on another TR. It's not my favorite food but I'm glad to go for DH who loves it and the show is fun. It stinks that you could get seated with dullards who ruin your time

Ugh...I'm sorry you had such downers as table mates. That sharing a table thing can be either a blessing if you get fun people, or a curse, like what happened to you. The food looked decent though...I could live on pretzel bread lol. I don't think my kids would get up and dance either lol...but my DD would probably wish she had later...she tends to regret not doing things! At least you got the discount!

Yeah, it was kind of a bummer but if the food is your thing (like DH) you should have a good time. :thumbsup2

Great review so far! I've been wanting to do Biergarten again on our last few trips, but it's been just me and my husband, & he feels it's more fun when we're with a group of people, so we haven't done it for several years. After reading your experience, I see why he feels this way. It is uncomfortable sitting with the grumpys. I'm enjoying your review. Thanks for sharing!

:welcome: Thanks for stopping by. That's the thing, you could have a miserable time if you get seated with jerks but it could be the best time ever if you get seated with cool people.

In our house the Rascal requested it, but then last night told me he's going pescatarian as well, and does not wish to go there anymore. lol.

Oh, yeah. I think I've seen on other reports that they have salmon on the buffet but I've never seen it. I did find a lot of veg options so there's that...

That just bites! Group dining experiences can be such fun if people can just be lighthearted about it!

I know! And they should have known about the group tables when they booked it.

Spaetzle is yummy bummer there was too much nutmeg. We have it as home as it is a fast pasta to make.

I was okay with the nutmeg but it was too much for the kiddos. Do you make it from scratch?

Woohoo so happy she paid attention to that and made the experience a little better, though sounds like she may be ill-fitted for a job there.

Maybe. But I don't want to rush to judgement, maybe she was just starting.

I think one of them must have been the couple sitting next to me at San Angel last trip. Lighten up people, you're in disney world ; )

:laughing: I remembered your story when I was writing about this.

With all that beer, I would think a great time would have happened regardless ; )

I didn't get the big one after all. It really was too much, I just didn't know how much a lite was. :confused3 I just hated her judgey attitude. So what if I wanted a vat of beer? What business is it of hers? :rotfl:

Bonus 10% off. Had no idea they did that there. Gonna have to file that away in the brain.

Tables in Wonderland probably trumps that, no?

Ugh, this is why I won't do Biergarten solo! The communal seating thing is a nice idea, but when you're seated with duds, it's just awkward! I tried it once about 10 years ago, just me and a friend, and we got seated with a family of 5-6 that treated us like we were completely invisible... to the point that we actually felt like we were intruding on their family dinner! I'm going to give it another try on my upcoming trip, mainly because my uncle loves German food, and my aunt is very chatty and outgoing, but if we get duds, she is every bit as happy to brush them off and just have a good time with our little group! My hope is that we get some fun, friendly people this time around, though! :goodvibes

I would say try to have fun even if the people you are seated with are dull but I know it's easier said than done. I think it helps if you out number them. :thumbsup2

The server was? SHAME ON HER!!!! :sad2:

Just because I don't understand the metric system. I guess being European she must think I'm an idiot. :rotfl:

Well, after being away from the table for 20 minutes, he was probably better off starting over with a fresh plate anyhow. :laughing:

Definitely. But I think it messed with his rythym. :rotfl2:

Day 5: Breakfast at Starring Rolls

We planned to get to HS for EMH at 8am to get in line for Jedi Training. As a result we were going to have breakfast in the park. Having done some research I knew that the only quick place for breakfast was Starring Rolls Cafe so that was the plan.

I know Starring Rolls is known for their cupcakes but I also thought they'd have more savory items available since it was the only QS option for breakfast. I was surprised to see there were very limited options available for breakfast.

We all ended up with a bagel with cream cheese.

DSC_0675TR.jpg

They were fine. We all love bagels and cream cheese for breakfast so it was a satisfying breakfast.

I still think Hollywood Studios needs a better breakfast option.

ABC Commissary is next.

Last edited:
I'm surprised starring rolls doesn't have more options available, let alone the park in general. Though lately I have a theory that between the lack of good food options and dwindling attractions, they just don't want us to visit and come back in 5 years when it is hopefully something

I was okay with the nutmeg but it was too much for the kiddos. Do you make it from scratch?
Actually both @flibberjibit (Celeste) and Pete make it! I keep meaning to try my hand at it, but never have, they do an excellent job though! Still, I do intend to learn.
They were fine. We all love bagels and cream cheese for breakfast so it was a satisfying breakfast.
This is often what we breakfast on as well.

Sorry to hear about your Biergarten meal being somewhat lackluster. I feel like I rarely read reviews of it, so I do like seeing what others think.

While bagels are just bagels, if you were able to get in line for Jedi training, we'd probably all agree it's a win!

Hmmm I had considered going to Starring Rolls for breakfast on our DHS EMH morning as well...not sure now though if there isn't much there. Do you remember if they had the cookies and cupcakes etc available at breakfast? The whole reason I wanted to go there was for that Carrot Cake cookie...that could be breakfast, right? But if it's not there at breakfast time then...maybe just go later for a snack and eat before leaving the hotel...if they are open that early...Bagels aren't bad though....

So @Elevationist so they do have all that good stuff out early...like even at EMH?? I totally would have no problem eating cupcakes for breakfast lol but I guess @ursalita wanted something less...dessert like lol

ABC Commissary is next.
Pretty curious to see your thoughts on this one. We considered it, but there really seem to be few veggie options, but it looks so pretty inside I totally want to see it anyway. lol.

I'm surprised starring rolls doesn't have more options available, let alone the park in general. Though lately I have a theory that between the lack of good food options and dwindling attractions, they just don't want us to visit and come back in 5 years when it is hopefully something

Totally with you on that. How can it be that there is only one place for breakfast (unless you ADR H&V) and you can't even get an egg? :confused3 I will say that I we found a lot to do at the park for the day and we had some good food experiences later on. I'm looking forward to see the changes they make.

Sorry to hear about your Biergarten meal being somewhat lackluster. I feel like I rarely read reviews of it, so I do like seeing what others think.

While bagels are just bagels, if you were able to get in line for Jedi training, we'd probably all agree it's a win!

I think Biergarten can be awesome if you're seated with the right people. Also, I tend to be oversensitive so others might have totally overlooked the Debbie Downers. I love a bagel with cream cheese and we got into Jedi Training so I was happy. :thumbsup2

Hmmm I had considered going to Starring Rolls for breakfast on our DHS EMH morning as well...not sure now though if there isn't much there. Do you remember if they had the cookies and cupcakes etc available at breakfast? The whole reason I wanted to go there was for that Carrot Cake cookie...that could be breakfast, right? But if it's not there at breakfast time then...maybe just go later for a snack and eat before leaving the hotel...if they are open that early...Bagels aren't bad though....

As you know there are cupcakes and other sweet items available at breakfast. I don't think they have the carrot cake cookie, you can find that a Writer's Stop. Spoiler alert: I had one that day. :thumbsup2 You're right, bagels aren't bad. If I can't eat an egg on toast in the morning I will have a bagel.

Three Words:

Cupcakes. For. Breakfast.

Just saying'. That's the only reason I hit Starring Rolls for breakfast at all. :cutie:

:lmao: I just can't do sweets for breakfast. I don't know what's wrong with me. :confused3 I should have dropped by later on for dessert. :thumbsup2

I'm glad you got some pictures at Biergarten. I took one picture and blinded half the restaurant. We really enjoyed it there.

:welcome: :laughing: I actually took fewer pictures than usual at Biergarten. I had to keep reminding myself to turn the flash off the camera when we were in dark places.

Pretty curious to see your thoughts on this one. We considered it, but there really seem to be few veggie options, but it looks so pretty inside I totally want to see it anyway. lol.

I don't think I'll be much help with veg options. :sad2: Actually, I think I got a quinoa bowl or something that day. :confused3 I'll have more details when I pull out my pics and trip notes. :thumbsup2

Day 5: Breakfast at Starring Rolls

We planned to get to HS for EMH at 8am to get in line for Jedi Training. As a result we were going to have breakfast in the park. Having done some research I knew that the only quick place for breakfast was Starring Rolls Cafe so that was the plan.

I know Starring Rolls is known for their cupcakes but I also thought they'd have more savory items available since it was the only QS option for breakfast. I was surprised to see there were very limited options available for breakfast.

We all ended up with a bagel with cream cheese.

View attachment 99094

I still think Hollywood Studios needs a better breakfast option.

ABC Commissary is next.
I completely agree, other than the cupcakes for breakfast Billie suggested :cloud9: I found choices at DHS kinda lacking as well in the AM

Colleen - I followed your link over here from my TR to join in. Loving you DR so far!!

Susan

Nice reviews so far!!!

Thank you. :wave2:

I completely agree, other than the cupcakes for breakfast Billie suggested :cloud9: I found choices at DHS kinda lacking as well in the AM

I really wish I could enjoy a cupcake in the morning. I don't even like pancakes or muffins for breakfast. :sad2:

Colleen - I followed your link over here from my TR to join in. Loving you DR so far!!

Susan

:welcome: Thank you for coming by and I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews. :goodvibes

Day 5: Lunch at ABC Commissary with Bonus Writer's Stop

Ok. So I made another food reviewer blunder and never took pictures at ABC Commissary. I didn't realize I didn't have photos or I may not have even included it in my list. Sorry. :sad2:

We had just done the Jedi Training show and had a friend join us for the day. She'd driven out from Tampa and hadn't eaten so she was hungry. ABC Commissary was close by and she thought she could probably have a burger so off we went. The place wasn't on my radar at all since I had no interest in eating there so I was apprehensive.

I was busy catching up with my friend which is what I blame for the lack of pictures or knowledge about what my family ordered. I'm sure DH got the burger and the boys had the Chicken Nuggets. There were no complaints.

Since we were having an early dinner I opted for the Couscous Quinoa and Arugula Salad. They have the option of getting this with chicken or salmon but I just had it plain. I really enjoyed this salad. It had great flavor and was surprisingly hearty and filling. At 7.50 I thought it was a good bargain. :thumbsup2 I even found a photo of online for you.

abc-commissary-couscous-quinoa-and-arugula-salad.jpg

My friend has extensive food allergies - there are several and some of them are unusual. She informed the CM and she received a special menu and someone came out to answer her questions. She did have to wait a little longer since it was made special for her but it wasn't too long. She got a burger and she said it was very good.

So even though this was a last minute choice and I was a little worried having heard not great things about HS CS restaurants, we really enjoyed our lunch. ::yes::

After lunch and riding Star Tours we stopped into The Writer's Stop for the carrot cake cookie I'd heard so much about. I had some trouble finding it because it does not look like what I'd pictured. It's HUGE! I was definitely not looking for something the size of a dinner plate! :eek: I kid. More the size of a dessert plate.

DSC_0788TR.jpg

DSC_0789TR.jpg

DH and I split this and it was yummy! I'm very glad I got the chance to try it.

Mama Melrose's Fanstasmic! Package is next.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter