7/14/2014 - 12-Night Mediterranean Cruise (with Greece) Venice to Barcelona

I have a bunch of informational links I'd like to share. I'll keep updating this post so I can find them all in the same place later on. :lmao:

Airports:
Venice (VCE)
Guide on Getting to Cruise Terminal from VCE
Map of Venice cruise port
Venice Cruise Terminal - information on how to get there, how to navigate the island for day trips, and information on parking, flying in, and trains, along with the vaporettos (water taxies)

Barcelona (BCN)
Guide on Getting from the cruise terminal to BCN (just use the instructions in reverse)
Private airport transfers from cruise terminal to airport or hotel

Great information. Thank You.

Thank you to the poster who posted the links. :thumbsup2
We are going back to Italy (and Venice) in mid May and I am planning on bringing home lots of info material and taking lots of photos of the port itself. I hope you won't mind if I post them here. ;)

So great! I did a semester in Bregenz back in the stone ages when I was in college. I love Austria!!

:woohoo: I found someone who has already been to Austria. :thumbsup2 So you studied here, hm. Bregenz is really nice, mountains and all. We live in Upper Austria, right in the middle between Salzburg and Vienna. Not so many mountains close by, but lots of history. :goodvibes

dizneeat said:
We are going back to Italy (and Venice) in mid May and I am planning on bringing home lots of info material and taking lots of photos of the port itself. I hope you won't mind if I post them here. ;)

:woohoo: I found someone who has already been to Austria. :thumbsup2 So you studied here, hm. Bregenz is really nice, mountains and all. We live in Upper Austria, right in the middle between Salzburg and Vienna. Not so many mountains close by, but lots of history. :goodvibes

I have been to Salzburg but not Vienna. It is on my bucket list.

Has anyone looked at airfare for these dates this summer to get an idea of what to expect when we can book for next summer?

I was browsing airfare for this year for approximately those dates, flying NE US (Philadelphia, Newark or NY) to Venice and then Barcelona to Northeast US, just out of curiosity. It looks like booking one-way tickets (for example New York to Venice and then Barcelona to NY) is about twice the cost of round-trip using the same airport.

Can anyone give me advice on how to handle this? Is there a "window" where the airfare might be more reasonable than it seems it will be at this point? We paid about $1525 RT/person when we flew PHL-Barcelona-PHL in summer 2011. The airfares I am seeing now, because they are not round trip can be over $2000/person/one way, especially if we want direct flights.

I am seriously going to have to budget differently for 2014 airfare. Just can't believe it will cost Howard and me well more to do these flights than it cost my family of four adults in summer 2011. :(

Just starting to read through the posts, but in case no one answered, you need to book a "multi stop" flight. Then it will be more like a round trip than 2 one way fares. Hopefully that will help! I am looking at doing that this summer depending on where we fly into Europe for our June Med sailing.

Sorry for the serial posts! ;)

I started another thread asking this question and was advised to book an "open jaw" ticket on any of the pricing websites (travelocity, priceline, etc.). As soon as I clicked on "multiple destinations" there was a huge difference in the pricing that I was getting.

So, the secret is to book round trip with multiple destinations. Whew!!! What a relief! Sorry I jumped the gun by posting my mini-panic here. :)

Nevermind, I should have read just a little further, lol!!! Glad you figured it out and weren't freaking out too long!

Okay, I made it through!

We are a family of 7. Myself, Nicole, DH Jay, DS, Andrew(21), DD Sarah (19), DS Casey (18), DD Emily (15) and DD Jessica (8). We are in room 8650 and booked on day 1!

We are in the midst of planning frenzy for the June 27th, 2013 Med. So excited to do that one! This cruise is the main reason we switch to the 12 night Med with Venice for this summer, as this itinerary is PERFECT for us for next summer! We were originally on the 12 night with Greece and Turkey, so this worked out just right! So excited!!

We have Taken trains and cruised ALL over Europe. 2010 we started in Munich, went to Switzerland, Paris and London, then did the Baltic cruise up through Scandanavia to St. Petersburg. Did the B2B so back to Dover and then around Portugal/Spain etc to Barcelona. We stayed the the Hilton Diagonal in BCN for a night. Great location by the beach, but you don't get any of the bustling feel of Barcelona...or we were just too exhausted after a month of travel all over Europe and didn't notice anything, lol!

So this summer we are continuing around Europe from Barcelona to Italy etc, then next summer a continuation from Venice around Greece/Turkey and back to Barcelona! SOOOOO excited!!! :)

So, I will fill you in on what we discover in Venice and hopefully can give you some good tips! I am most excited about the Venice stop and seeing Barcelona in a non hazy state of mind! LOL!

Oh, and both my sons and I have been to Austria as well! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love Germany/Switzerland and Austria, my favorite countries in Europe (so far)!

We have been to Salzburg & Vienna. Loved the city of Vienna. The public transportation was very good & the city was beautiful. :) Will definitely do it again.

Okay, I made it through!

We are a family of 7. Myself, Nicole, DH Jay, DS, Andrew(21), DD Sarah (19), DS Casey (18), DD Emily (15) and DD Jessica (8). We are in room 8650 and booked on day 1!

We are in the midst of planning frenzy for the June 27th, 2013 Med. So excited to do that one! This cruise is the main reason we switch to the 12 night Med with Venice for this summer, as this itinerary is PERFECT for us for next summer! We were originally on the 12 night with Greece and Turkey, so this worked out just right! So excited!!

We have Taken trains and cruised ALL over Europe. 2010 we started in Munich, went to Switzerland, Paris and London, then did the Baltic cruise up through Scandanavia to St. Petersburg. Did the B2B so back to Dover and then around Portugal/Spain etc to Barcelona. We stayed the the Hilton Diagonal in BCN for a night. Great location by the beach, but you don't get any of the bustling feel of Barcelona...or we were just too exhausted after a month of travel all over Europe and didn't notice anything, lol!

So this summer we are continuing around Europe from Barcelona to Italy etc, then next summer a continuation from Venice around Greece/Turkey and back to Barcelona! SOOOOO excited!!! :)

So, I will fill you in on what we discover in Venice and hopefully can give you some good tips! I am most excited about the Venice stop and seeing Barcelona in a non hazy state of mind! LOL!

Oh, and both my sons and I have been to Austria as well! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love Germany/Switzerland and Austria, my favorite countries in Europe (so far)!

Welcome... Looking forward to all the tips. :)

DH is now thinking we will fly to Greece and tour Northern Greece, since I didn't get to see it last time, before the cruise. He thinks we can take a ferry from Greece to Venice. I looked on line at one. Have to do more research...
Anybody do this ever?:confused3

DH is now thinking we will fly to Greece and tour Northern Greece, since I didn't get to see it last time, before the cruise. He thinks we can take a ferry from Greece to Venice. I looked on line at one. Have to do more research...

this is such a wonderful idea. I am not as excited about Venice as I am to go to Greece.

We stayed the the Hilton Diagonal in BCN for a night. Great location by the beach, but you don't get any of the bustling feel of Barcelona...or we were just too exhausted after a month of travel all over Europe and didn't notice anything, lol!

This was in my daughter's trip report of Barcelona for School. "Great town... very narcotic. I slept both incoming and outgoing. " :rotfl2:

Okay, I made it through!

Is that the Roy? or the Walt Suite?

My name is Glenn and my DW is Barbara and DD Christina (13). This will beout 8th Disney Cruise and the second to the Med (first was 12 night June 2011) and I just wanted to say hi and let those of you know that I'm keeping a fish extender list that is updated with current participants on the first page of this thread. Here is a few links for fish extender info and ideas:

What is a fish extender:
http://suchthespot.com/2011/01/disney-cruise-how-to-fish-extender/

Fish extender ideas:
http://pinterest.com/lmmacdonald/disney-fish-extender-ideas/

Current Participants:
To add less confusion this list has been discontinued

Also if you have a DD that will be around 14/15 at the time, let me know, I would love to get them chatting with my DD.

Lastly, I designed a logo for our last cruise and we made Tee Shirts up for everyone in the group. Anyone interested in doing that for this cruise???

Glenn

Hello everyone,

we just booked this cruise. we are sailing in April and I was wanting to wait until then, but did not want the prices to go up to much so I just bit the bullet and booked the cruise. I will see if I can get a better deal while onboard in April, but I am not sure that will happen.

This will be our 10th cruise. (It will actually be my youngets DD 9 cruise, since Disney doesn't want to count the first cruise since I was pregnant with her. go figure)

We have never been to Venice or Greece so we are very excited, not to excited about the airfare though .. yikes. This will be our 3rd time over in Europe though, We have done the Med and the Baltic Cruise. I love all the new sailings. I just wish the Hawaii ones they did were not over school months, I couldn't take the kids out of school that long. Bummer maybe they will have more in the future.

Anyway, It will be myself, my husband, my father and my 2 daughters. (15 and 10 time of sailing).

Let me know if you want to be added to the list.

Please add us to the FE list, my oldest daughter loves to help me make gifts =). Unless we change things between now and then we will be in room 8598.

Also if you have a DD that will be around 14/15 at the time, let me know, I would love to get them chatting with my DD.

My oldest daughter, Samantha will be 15 at the time of sailing. She is not so much into the typical girly things yet, still a bit of a tomboy. She loves drawing and anime. If your daughter wants to write, my email is julie@thecoyotesden.net. She does have her own email but is more into texting than email and sending stuff to her account may cause delays in responding =).

Lastly, I designed a logo for our last cruise and we made Tee Shirts up for everyone in the group. Anyone interested in doing that for this cruise???

Please let me know if you do a logo for the Cruise. I have a few FE gifts which can use the logo instead of random graphics. =)

Julie

Is that the Roy? or the Walt Suite?

Its the Roy, and this is what sealed the deal for DH and I! LOL! So much more fun to all be able to stay in the same room...

We were in the Roy on the Wonder for our Alaskan Cruise and I think we totally stunk at using the Concierge. (Except to get soda refills for the kids:rotfl:). We didn't take advantage of any of the perks. But we had a blast! And they knew the kids loved to watch movies, so they brought them bags and bags of popcorn! We are not very good at being fancy...pirate:

poohmomof5 said:
Its the Roy, and this is what sealed the deal for DH and I! LOL! So much more fun to all be able to stay in the same room...

We were in the Roy on the Wonder for our Alaskan Cruise and I think we totally stunk at using the Concierge. (Except to get soda refills for the kids:rotfl:). We didn't take advantage of any of the perks. But we had a blast! And they knew the kids loved to watch movies, so they brought them bags and bags of popcorn! We are not very good at being fancy...pirate:

Excellent! You will have to host a meet in your room. The concierge will even provide snacks!

Anyway, It will be myself, my husband, my father and my 2 daughters. (15 and 10 time of sailing).

Please add us to the FE list, my oldest daughter loves to help me make gifts =). Unless we change things between now and then we will be in room 8598.

Welcome and your added..

My oldest daughter, Samantha will be 15 at the time of sailing. She is not so much into the typical girly things yet, still a bit of a tomboy. She loves drawing and anime. If your daughter wants to write, my email is xxxxx@thecoyotesden.net. She does have her own email but is more into texting than email and sending stuff to her account may cause delays in responding =).

I'll give my daughter her email address tonight :)

Please let me know if you do a logo for the Cruise. I have a few FE gifts which can use the logo instead of random graphics. =)

I will

Just a suggestion - you may wish to send email addresses by private message. Disboards is "crawled" by search engines, and any public email address can be scooped up and publicized. It's an easy way for a computer to grab it for spam mail. If you do want to post it on a public page, can I suggest putting spaces in it or changing the format like:

SailingSeas at Gmail.com

...Backing out of geekdom to your regularly scheduled Disney Cruise fun.

SailingSeas said:
Just a suggestion - you may wish to send email addresses by private message. Disboards is "crawled" by search engines, and any public email address can be scooped up and publicized. It's an easy way for a computer to grab it for spam mail. If you do want to post it on a public page, can I suggest putting spaces in it or changing the format like:

SailingSeas at Gmail.com

...Backing out of geekdom to your regularly scheduled Disney Cruise fun.

While I recognize that as good advice I don't mind :). I have a good spam filter where i don't even see 90% of my spam and if it gets to bad I will just delete the email and create a new one :) I actually have tons of email addresses for different purposes .. The benefit of having my own domain and mail server :)

That's awesome, Julie. For me it's a logistical nightmare to keep the family informed when I change my email address. Seems the older family members have a better handle on it though, than my own brother. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter