7/13/13 ~~ Eastern Mediterranean Mouseketeers!

Curious about the air canada flight. I saw that one and I thought that 11:55 wouldn't be enough time. What is the recommended time of departure flights?
I've gotten different answers on this. My TA said anything before 12 would be challenging, but others who've done the Med before said they made earlier flights. Not sure what we'll do yet since we are just taking a domestic flight from BCN to Paris for our stay at Disneyland Paris, and the low cost carrier flights are not out yet.

For international, I think you could probably get away with an 11:00 AM flight at the earliest. Itinerary says we get to port at 7:00 AM. Say you get off right at 7, clear customs, and have private transport (thus no waiting for a cab, which I heard can be time consuming) you could be at the airport by 8:00. Its still recommended to be at the airport 3 hours ahead for international so that's probably as close as I'd cut it, but again I've not done the Med so perhaps on the main forum those with past experience can comment.

Hey Nicole - if you don't mind me asking - which hotel in DLP are you staying at?

We haven't booked yet (but we will before Oct 15 when the discount ends) and are hoping to get Admiral's floor at Hotel Newport Bay. We need to stay somewhere that sleeps 5px in one room (another family is travelling with us and they have 5).

Hey Nicole - if you don't mind me asking - which hotel in DLP are you staying at?

We haven't booked yet (but we will before Oct 15 when the discount ends) and are hoping to get Admiral's floor at Hotel Newport Bay. We need to stay somewhere that sleeps 5px in one room (another family is travelling with us and they have 5).
We haven't booked yet- as far as I know, bookings are not available yet for summer 2013. The current discount is only available through March. We are planning to book either Newport Bay or Hotel New York- I like the look of NB better because it reminds me of where we stay at the Yacht Club at WDW, but I've heard its extremely large and can have long walks to the rooms. HNY looks kind of sterile but the reviews seem to be better and more adult oriented.

Tried to see if there was room at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel and its sold out for July 25. Yikes!

Are there any cruise and stay packages at nearby hotels?

We were looking at the Renaissance as well. And it was booked. But I investigated further and it is blocked from November 2012 onwards. I wasn't sure if they don't open up the reservations until a couple months before or if they are doing renos or something.

It might be a good idea to call them and find out. Especially because they do have the free shuttle from the airport and only 10 Euros each to the Port (and don't forget the Las Ramblas shuttle).

~Heather~

We were looking at the Renaissance as well. And it was booked. But I investigated further and it is blocked from November 2012 onwards. I wasn't sure if they don't open up the reservations until a couple months before or if they are doing renos or something.

It might be a good idea to call them and find out. Especially because they do have the free shuttle from the airport and only 10 Euros each to the Port (and don't forget the Las Ramblas shuttle).

~Heather~
This is interesting. On the main cruise forum there is a thread about the Med hotels and at least one person has said they have booked for July 2013. But when I checked for July 11 and 12, it said nothing was available, which I thought was strange this far out. I too would like a quote since their shuttle to ramblas eliminates the downside to not staying downtown and the shuttle to the port for that price is great. Maybe I will try to Skype call them and see whats up. It may just be that they aren't taking bookings that far ahead. Another hotel I am interested in I emailed and said I could book directly with them over email and just call with a CC number to hold the reservation but it was too early to book on their site or other hotel sites, so maybe thats the case with the Renaissance.

Please post and let us know. I'm interested in booking the renaissance too!

I did a live chat with the main Marriott website tonight asking about the issue with dates at the Renaissance. She stated that after November 2012, it will no longer be a Marriott hotel, which is why you can't book dates after that online. I had to leave the room before the chat ended to go out, so I didnt get to ask what was happening to the hotel- was it closing, changing to another chain, how to book it, etc. so I followed up with an email. I will post here when I get a response, but I dont think I'll be entertaining staying there. I read the Trip Advisor reviews and most were OK at best, you have to pay for wifi which is ridiculous, and it said the shuttle was unreliable, which defeats the purpose of staying there. I knew it sounded a little too go to be true. I think I'm back to sticking with my first gut choice after much research, the Hotel Jazz nearby Las Ramblas.

I got an email back from Marriott this morning:
At this point, this information has not been provided to this department. Typically, we are not aware of the alternate arrangements until the hotel changes over with another chain. In the interim, you may contact the hotel directly to discuss further details with them.

Renaissance Barcelona Airport Hotel
Phone: 34 93 3783200

Alas, this was not helpful but I guess it will appear in November when they change hands. I am not going to call for further info because i've read enough to make me not want to consider staying here now, but I wanted to post this answer and the contact number in case someone still wants to call.

I've gotten different answers on this. My TA said anything before 12 would be challenging, but others who've done the Med before said they made earlier flights. Not sure what we'll do yet since we are just taking a domestic flight from BCN to Paris for our stay at Disneyland Paris, and the low cost carrier flights are not out yet.

For international, I think you could probably get away with an 11:00 AM flight at the earliest. Itinerary says we get to port at 7:00 AM. Say you get off right at 7, clear customs, and have private transport (thus no waiting for a cab, which I heard can be time consuming) you could be at the airport by 8:00. Its still recommended to be at the airport 3 hours ahead for international so that's probably as close as I'd cut it, but again I've not done the Med so perhaps on the main forum those with past experience can comment.

I'm sure the official line is after 12:00. I'm a fanatic about getting to the airport with plenty of time. If last yr's DCL Med cruise was any indication, I'd feel perfectly comfortable with a flight after 11:30. While I think one could catch a flight around 11:00 or maybe a bit earlier, that would start to push out of my comfort zone.

Great research Nicole on the Hotel Renaissance. I knew that there had to be something up with that hotel's reservations. Thanks for sharing.

That is interesting!
I have it booked for our 3 night pre stay and 1 night post stay for our
July 13th cruise.
I think I better find another hotel just incase!
bummed!!!

Cyndi

That is interesting!
I have it booked for our 3 night pre stay and 1 night post stay for our
July 13th cruise.
I think I better find another hotel just incase!
bummed!!!

Cyndi
Are you talking about the Renaissance Hotel Barcelona Airport? If so we are all curious, how did you book it? When we tried on their site it does not let you book any dates after November and we now know that is because it wont be a Marriott hotel after November. Where were you able to book it?

Just booked our plane tickets! We are so excited, purchasing the nonrefundable airfare always feels like it seals the deal. We got $1366 each nonstop from Philadelphia to Barcelona on July 10, and from Paris nonstop back to PHL on July 29 after our stay at Disneyland Paris. Doing it this way was about $200 more than just flying roundtrip from Barcelona but this is my 5th trip to Europe so I was not about to pass up the chance to go to Disneyland this time finally! And I'm so glad we have decided to fly in 2 nights prior to the cruise, we were previously going to do just 1 but then we were like, we are already missing 2.5 weeks of work, I have plenty of PTO so what difference does 1 more day make? We are so excited!!!

Just booked our plane tickets! We are so excited, purchasing the nonrefundable airfare always feels like it seals the deal. We got $1366 each nonstop from Philadelphia to Barcelona on July 10, and from Paris nonstop back to PHL on July 29 after our stay at Disneyland Paris. Doing it this way was about $200 more than just flying roundtrip from Barcelona but this is my 5th trip to Europe so I was not about to pass up the chance to go to Disneyland this time finally! And I'm so glad we have decided to fly in 2 nights prior to the cruise, we were previously going to do just 1 but then we were like, we are already missing 2.5 weeks of work, I have plenty of PTO so what difference does 1 more day make? We are so excited!!!

sounds great! are you planning on flying from barcelona to paris?

ellen

sounds great! are you planning on flying from barcelona to paris?

ellen
Most likely, yes. It is a short 2 hour flight. We are hoping to get a good deal for under $100 on one of Europe's budget airlines once they release their fares in a few months. Thought about driving as a fun little european road trip, but apparently the fees are very high to rent a car in one country and drop off in another- it quoted almost $500 versus only $175 for example if we rented roundtrip in one country.

Are you talking about the Renaissance Hotel Barcelona Airport? If so we are all curious, how did you book it? When we tried on their site it does not let you book any dates after November and we now know that is because it wont be a Marriott hotel after November. Where were you able to book it?

Yes, I booked it on line through their site in July as soon as the dates opened up.
It was a great deal! 134 eros for room/breakfast/transfer to the ship....and shuttle from the airport.

That does sound like a great deal- odd that you were able to book in July and now they aren't allowing new bookings. I guess once they figure put what chain is taking over the hotel they will open bookings again.

Okay so I'm paid in full for my cruise for next July!

However I am unable to choose any port excursions until 75 days out! What are the chances of getting what I want in Rome?

I know the exact details haven't been released but I've been scoping out previous Disney cruise excursions and I'm hoping for an 'all in one' day trip in Rome:crazy2:

What sort of guest limit does DCL put on each excursion?

Next question (can you tell I'm a first time cruiser?)...
Does anyone have any recommendations for an apartment in Barcelona that sleeps 4px, is close to La Ramblas and has a washer/dryer?

Thanks in advance!

Okay so I'm paid in full for my cruise for next July!

However I am unable to choose any port excursions until 75 days out! What are the chances of getting what I want in Rome?

I know the exact details haven't been released but I've been scoping out previous Disney cruise excursions and I'm hoping for an 'all in one' day trip in Rome:crazy2:

What sort of guest limit does DCL put on each excursion?

Next question (can you tell I'm a first time cruiser?)...
Does anyone have any recommendations for an apartment in Barcelona that sleeps 4px, is close to La Ramblas and has a washer/dryer?

Thanks in advance!

I know that they did some "all in one" type of excursions in Rome last year, so I would think they would offer the same again for this cruise. Having spend a lot of time in Rome, can I ask if you have considered doing a private tour guide? There is so much to see, you can personalize it more and move at your own pace. I have nothing against the Disney excursions, I have done a number of them on other cruises. Rome is just one of my favorite cities in the world and I want everyone to fall in love with it too.

For apartments in Barcelona I would recommend CASP 74. They are very nice, giving you lots of space. The only down side is I don't remember them having a washer and dryer (I didn't see it on the website either). Here is their website:

http://www.apartmentscasp74.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter