6 Hour Flight with Infant Must Haves

NEVERENOUGHWDW

<font color=blue>Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Unde
I have traveled all over the world and always feel very prepared.

In a few weeks our baby will be on his first flight for 6 hours.
I'm trying to get a must have list of things to carry with us on the plane.

My diaper bag always has extra outfits
pacifiers
gas drops
A&D
teething toys
diapers
wipes
hats
blankets
zip lock bags
bottles & formulas

Anything else for must haves?

I found traveling with my DS at this age was a breeze compared to now when he is getting more mobile! Sounds like your diaper bag is well stocker, but I agree with PP about the extra change of clothes for the adults...no knowing when a blow out will happen or when you won't be allowed to get up when the time for a diaper change comes. I traveled with more formula than necessary and was thankful for that. We found that feeding at take of and landing eliminated ear problems. Have fun!!

I also agree that traveling with an young infant is easier than you think it will be - unless baby is not feeling well... We did a 6 hour flight when my 3rd was 2 months and a 14.5 hour flight when he was six months.

My advice: take more pacifiers than you think you need and keep them in ziplocs. They are so easy to drop in the small space. Take hand sanitizer for yourself when handling the bottles, etc in case you can't get up.

If you are also breastfeeding, build up your milk supply beforehand and don't take the bottle, formula at all. Much easier.

Good Luck.

I found it nice to have a boppy or some sort of pillow to rest the baby atop. The boppy is sort of a pain to lug around and I see they have a travel one that zips together and has a shoulder strap. Would have made my life easier then. I took DS on two 7 hr flights when he was 8 mos and he slept through most of it. He slept at 15 mos on a red eye with the boppy under him. Also agree with the pp's a 5.5 mo will be a breeze :)

I took my little guy on a 3.5 hour flight when he was 6.5 months. He slept the majority of the time. We had a few new toys he could play with. And we also had our iPad. While he didn't do much with hat, he really liked looking at the pictures we had on it.

Definitely agree with having a second outfit for you as well. You never know what's going to happen.

Bring extra formula and diapers in case of delays. I agree with the others we flew to Hawaii when DS was 6 months and it was a breeze compared to last week's 2.5 hour flight to Orlando.

If you don't want to bring a boppy (which I lugged for our first flight but not after that) I found an inflatable pillow with a blanket over it worked just as well and was more packable.

ITA with change of clothes for an adult. The one time I didn't do this I had a sick child and was stuck in the same clothes the whole flight. And the extra diapers. Delays are no fun if your LO needs a change!

Do you have a changing pad and someplace (like a plastic bag) to put a poopy diaper? Be forewarned, it's awful to change a diaper on most planes. There's no real changing table, and more than once I've had to change my girls on the floor in front of the bathrooms. Fortunately many flight attendants are nice about it.

Most likely your DS will sleep a lot of the flight, and when he's awake you'll probably find that plenty of people will play peek-a-boo with him between the seats, or walk him up & down the aisle for a change of scenery.

Extra diapers and formula!!

I flew to MCO, a 2 hr flight for us, by myself with DS when he was 9 mos. old. We were delayed 7 hrs because our plane was coming from MCO, where they had severe thunderstorms. The weather by us - perfect, and when we arrived at the airport they were still predicting an on-time flight. Caught us a little by surprise, but luckily I'm a bit of a paranoid packer so we were ok. (The airline offered me milk for DS when it gave out complimentary soda to us in the terminal, but he was still on formula at that age, so no go...)

I will def pack extra diapers & formula. I have a padded changing pad in his diaper bag that I forgot to mention and always plastic bags.

Clothes for my husband and I are a great idea!

I would have some infant tylenol and a doctor approved dosage just in case he has true ear pain. I soooo agree with a change for adults as well as the baby. Ask DH how a shirt smells about 6 hours after a major formula rejection.

We were just on a six hour flight with our six month old!

Bring Wet Ones or other disinfectant wipes to wipe down the arm rests and tray tables. It's always the first thing I do after we board.

Sounds like you are well prepared!

Safe travels!

Three words,
. . . ben
. . . a
. . . dryl

Be careful with this suggestion. Ethics aside, you should never give a new medication without consulting a doctor first (especially in this case, because there aren't instructions for infants on the bottle) and it's a bad idea to give any medication for the first time on a plane. (the kid could have an allergic reaction to an ingredient, then you're in even worse shape)

Also, from experience my kid wakes up as soon as the dose wears off and in an even crankier mood than he was before. For this reason, I hate giving him benadryl in general (though at times he does need it for a reaction) and I rue the day that he'll need it on a plane flight that's longer than 4 hours again.
Also, it's a pain in the butt to get through security, because it only comes in bottles larger than 3 oz.

In general, I've found that traveling with infants on planes isn't much different than taking care of them anywhere else. It's once they start walking that travel becomes difficult. Bring about twice as much perishable stuff as you anticipate needing for your whole travel time (not just the flight time - include travel time from home and until you get to somewhere you can replenish your supply at your destination). One suggestion I've heard is to pack 1 diaper for every hour of travel, and I've never gotten done with traveling with my kid and thought "man, I wish I would have packed fewer diapers." Same thing with food.
The extra change of clothes/shirt for yourself suggestion is also very good. I spilled a bottle of water on myself and my child on a plane once. That extra shirt was very well loved that day.

Bring some kind of carrier on the plane with you. You can't use it during take off or landing, but you can use it to walk the baby up and down the aisle hands-free.

Another good suggestion I've seen for formula users is to pre-measure out most feedings.

I have to second the extra clothes for adults. My brother was on a first class flight from Paris to NY with his 3 small kids. His 1 yr old son got sick on him and he had to sit in just a blazer no shirt under it for 6 hours.

Three words,
. . . ben
. . . a
. . . dryl

i'd be careful about this too. my dd had to take benadryl once when 10 months for medical reasons and it made her so hyper. i definitely wouldn't try that without getting a dr.'s opinion and without trying it at home first either.

just make sure you have enough of the essentials: wipes, diapers, extra clothes, a couple pacifiers (if baby uses them), teething toys, etc. if you have an iphone, that always helped us with dd on the plane. we downloaded a lot of baby apps and she loved staring at them! she now is 2.5 and has her own ipad for all of the traveling we do and travels so well!

I really liked having a baby carrier for when she slept. That way if I had to hold her (and I did), I would still have my hands free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter