5K run on Castaway Cay?

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
I have heard there is a 5K run on Castaway Cay... is this true? Where can I find more info on it? My son is interested.

Many thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

Hi, Paul! :)

I have not done the 5K yet- I plan to on our cruise this July! :) But I have been researching this topic as well so that I know what I'm getting into!

My understanding is that anyone 12 years old or older can do the 5K. It is not a "high pressure, serious" race. It can be walked, run, or a combination of the two. There are water stations set up throughout the course.

The 5K should be listed in your Personal Navigator for the Castaway Cay day. That morning, anyone who is interested in particiapting will go to a designated area- one of the lounges, etc. and sign up. You will be given a numbered bib.

You leave the ship and take a tram to the starting point. The walkers/runners make two loops around the course and then cross the finish line. There is a race clock to show your time. Characters- usually Donald or Daisy cheer the racers on at the beginning and cheer them in at the finish. Cast Members hand out plastic "medals". They are circles that have Castaway Cay in the middle with black plastic ears on top. The red ribbons say WINNER.

Some people have also gotten certificates delivered to their rooms. Some groups have taken group pics with the characters before the race. There is also a Castaway Cay 5K race shirt available for purchase at the gift shop on the island only- not on the ship.

Hope that answers your questions! This is what I have found in my research, so if I am wrong, please correct me! :)

Wendy

Does anyone know if they are strict with the age? My 9 year old son wants to do it with us... Thanks!

My husband and I are interested in doing this too! Does anyone know what time the run begins? I also thought I read somewhere that they are no longer giving out the medals...just certificates. Anyone who has run recently know if that's true?

Thanks!

In the FAQ sticky at the top of the page there's a link to a thread that discusses the 5K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter