5K Blog for Big Girls

I finished my half marathon this weekend. This is my 3rd time..and let me tell you, if i can do it - so can you. It's truly about believing you can, and when you're "feeling it" out there, just knowing you need to keep going. Just keep moving....

Trust me, right about 11.5 miles my head games kicked in big time....I just wanted to be done, but I knew to just put one foot in front of the other, no matter how slowly, no matter how small those steps were - it was still forward progress....and eventually you cross the finish line. :thumbsup2

I love Marathoning for Mortals because it made it feel very doable for me..I do a run/walk and it's been wonderful for me. You'd be surprised how many people out there do a run with walk breaks...you won't be alone...tons of people do it. Whatever gets you there...and you know what? There's never any shame in trying to do something...it's the willingness to try -- that's the TRUE first step!

You can and will do this....one step at a time - it's all forward progress.

I wanted to jump in and say I love the Chubby Jones podcast-she has 2 different ones for the couch to 5K and then another for training for a 10K I love the music she has and listen to her podcast when I'm just walking, or mowing the yard too.

Choirchic - That is awesome. I don't think I will ever be able to run a mile straight thru.

Solar - You are inspiring. Where do you find all the energy?

I have not been around much. I have been working crazy hours and just don't feel like getting on the computer much after a long day at work.

I finally decided last week to officially start to do something. I read Galloway's book on walking. It seemed to be really slow paced and starts you off at walking 15 minutes a day. I am use to walking so I figured I would skip to C25K but for some reason my calves are killing me. I can't even get through the first week. A couple of months ago my blood pressure was high when I went to the dr. She put me on a fluid pill / blood pressure pill combined. I have to take it with orange juice or a bananna. I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. I did walk probably 4 times last week. On Saturday I went to the park and walked 6 miles averaging 18 minute miles. I am hoping if I can eventually add a little jogging to it I can speed that up. I seem to be able to do much better outside than on the treadmill.

I can't believe they changed the date of the Princess Half-Marathon. My best friend and I were all set for it. She has an annual meeting that she has to attend for work. The meeting was scheduled for the week before and she was going to leave the meeting and fly straight to Orlando. Now that they changed the dates she will not be able to make it because the day of the race is the first day she has to be at her convention. She is going to talk to her boss today but it is not looking good.

I really, really want to do the Princess marathon. I will be 40 in January and this is my present to myself. My DH said he would go with me but I would rather go with a friend. He is not a Disney lover and I know if he goes and is miserable that will make me miserable also. I decided that if I can't find another friend to go with me I am going alone. I know it will probably be a little lonely not having someone there to celebrate with but I am doing this for me and to prove to myself that I can. Sorry this is so long.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Solar - You are inspiring. Where do you find all the energy? .....

....but for some reason my calves are killing me. I can't even get through the first week.

...I did walk probably 4 times last week. On Saturday I went to the park and walked 6 miles averaging 18 minute miles. I am hoping if I can eventually add a little jogging to it I can speed that up. I seem to be able to do much better outside than on the treadmill.

...I will be 40 in January and this is my present to myself. My DH said he would go with me but I would rather go with a friend. He is not a Disney lover and I know if he goes and is miserable that will make me miserable also. I decided that if I can't find another friend to go with me I am going alone.

energy? LOL, it's determination I guess - I just take it one workout at a time

-- as for aches, just do a gradual increase, like no more than 10% at a time...no need to jump from say 2 miles to 10 overnight! It's a slow, steady approach that allows your body to get used to the changes - so it becomes comfortable and used to it...

- make sure you have properly fitted shoes

- try shorter or longer strides and see if your legs feel different..I do better with shorter strides, but everyone is different

- and listen to your body! i know the difference between okay, this doesn't feel good to yikes, this is wrong....trust yourself on that note

- in my 40's! It's a great gift to yourself, your sense of pride and accomplishment will amaze you...very hard to explain that feeling

...you won't be alone, there are tons of people going :) Check the WISH official thread for PRincess, and you'll see tons of people -- also I love ROTE (Running of the Ears .com msg board -- running/disney fans) and they helped make my first 1/2 (Princess this year) a wonderful event and I had a lot of great people to meet along the way. If you check them out, they have Princess threads too. They helped keep me inspired during my training as well.

Kindly, Deb

How are we doing? Is everyone getting some form of exercise in? Walking, running, whatever....

...and if you're not, what is stopping you? What is your biggest hurdle at this point?

Thanks for keeping the thread going solar! I've been a little busy! I have a walkathon this coming weekend and then another 5K on the 19th! SO excited! :banana:

That's awesome...let us know how it goes! Good luck with everything

I was perusing WISH this evening (a bit bored at work) and found this thread.

First of all, LOVE that all of you are doing this!! SO awesome!! Deb, your attitude is incredible, and 3 halfs! So impressed!

I really, really want to do the Princess marathon. I will be 40 in January and this is my present to myself. My DH said he would go with me but I would rather go with a friend. He is not a Disney lover and I know if he goes and is miserable that will make me miserable also. I decided that if I can't find another friend to go with me I am going alone. I know it will probably be a little lonely not having someone there to celebrate with but I am doing this for me and to prove to myself that I can. Sorry this is so long.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Hi SouthernGirl!! I did the Princess this year with 8 women I met through WISH. We are all planning to do it again in 2011. Please come join our WISH In Search Of My Body thread, if you want? We are on Vol 9 but there is always room for one more! We are varying degrees of speed/pace/weight/etc.

About me (if you care!):

I started this running journey in Jan, when the thought of doing the Princess became real and I started training... at 220 lbs. I could barely do an 18-20 min mile, and was freaking as the Princess has the 16mm time limit.

I mostly trained to walk, with some run intervals. For my 2 short runs during the week, I started at a 1/5 interval (run 1, walk 5), and was up to 1/1s at the end of the 8 weeks leading up to the Princess. For the long runs, I mostly concentrated on walking speed, as I knew that the walking speed is what would keep me on the course.

So, I did finish the Princess, in 3:11! I ran some, but honestly I walked at least 75% of it. Oh, and I lost 30 lbs somewhere along the way.

I highly recommend the run/walk programs. I keep telling myself, I can run for 1 minute! It's only 1 minute, right?

Oh, and I caught the running bug for sure... joined a local Galloway training program and have signed up for halfs in Aug (RnR in Chicago) and in Nov (OBX). Be careful, it's addictive!

Keep up the great work ladies, you are SO inspiring, and big girls can definitely run too!!! :goodvibes

About me (if you care!):

I started this running journey in Jan, when the thought of doing the Princess became real and I started training... at 220 lbs. I could barely do an 18-20 min mile, and was freaking as the Princess has the 16mm time limit.

I mostly trained to walk, with some run intervals. For my 2 short runs during the week, I started at a 1/5 interval (run 1, walk 5), and was up to 1/1s at the end of the 8 weeks leading up to the Princess. For the long runs, I mostly concentrated on walking speed, as I knew that the walking speed is what would keep me on the course.

So, I did finish the Princess, in 3:11! I ran some, but honestly I walked at least 75% of it. Oh, and I lost 30 lbs somewhere along the way.

I highly recommend the run/walk programs. I keep telling myself, I can run for 1 minute! It's only 1 minute, right?

Oh, and I caught the running bug for sure... joined a local Galloway training program and have signed up for halfs in Aug (RnR in Chicago) and in Nov (OBX). Be careful, it's addictive!

Keep up the great work ladies, you are SO inspiring, and big girls can definitely run too!!! :goodvibes

I'm currently at a 19-20 minute mile and feel like I'm never going to get faster at this point! Did those of you who are doing a run/walk find that your walking time improved?

I'm currently at a 19-20 minute mile and feel like I'm never going to get faster at this point! Did those of you who are doing a run/walk find that your walking time improved?

I was just thinking the same thing! I have another 5K next weekend and my only goal is to better my time...even if it's just by a second! :worship:

I definitely did. By the end of the 8 weeks I went from walking a 3.4 (18mm I think) on the treadmill and dying, to a 4.0-4.2 (15/14 mm). I think I was so relieved to just be walking during the walk intervals, that I could keep a faster pace! :laughing:

It also helped to have a goal. Since the Princess closes the course at 3.5 hours, I was basically run/walking from the sweepers (in my mind anyhow!), everytime I got on the dreadmill.

:woohoo::woohoo:

awesome, and so glad you found us here -- you're right, the run/walk is what helped me go...I can do this too

I average about an 18 min mile and need to get faster...I have tried to increase my walk speed, but that isn't happening. I'm going to increase my run intervals instead, since i pick up speed there. -- when i run more, i can hit 16 mins --- ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)

I should mention - fell down the stairs back in January - and have had tailbone issues since then -- if i try to run faster I pick up too much hip gyration and it causes too much discomfort in my tailbone area--- so i'll just run more, instead of faster to keep my form in tact without the pain :thumbsup2

I originally trained for 3/1 -- and somehow ended up getting comfortable at a 1/1....i'm currently going back to a 2/1 and 3/1 in training. I have 2 more half marathons (Oct and Nov) and am hoping this increases my time.

It's finding what works for you

I definitely did. By the end of the 8 weeks I went from walking a 3.4 (18mm I think) on the treadmill and dying, to a 4.0-4.2 (15/14 mm). I think I was so relieved to just be walking during the walk intervals, that I could keep a faster pace! :laughing:

It also helped to have a goal. Since the Princess closes the course at 3.5 hours, I was basically run/walking from the sweepers (in my mind anyhow!), everytime I got on the dreadmill.

they do say that...but just a tiny thing to help relieve you a little bit, it took me 3:52 to finish, and finish i did with the back of the pack....once you get past about mile 11 or 12, the fear of the sweep is gone, because you're back in the park -- but just made it past the sweep at mile 10 for me...i lost 5 mins in a porta potty line, and maybe 3-5 mins stopping to re-vaseline my one foot - but even with that, i beat the sweep -- think they were a tiny bit generous with the time...and people finished behind me also..think up to 4 (even though honestly, it does say 3.5) -- train for 3.5 -- but don't panic yourself...you'll move faster then you think with adrenalin kicking in

:woohoo::woohoo:

awesome, and so glad you found us here -- you're right, the run/walk is what helped me go...I can do this too

Thanks!!! :goodvibes

ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)

I should mention - fell down the stairs back in January - and have had tailbone issues since then -- if i try to run faster I pick up too much hip gyration and it causes too much discomfort in my tailbone area--- so i'll just run more, instead of faster to keep my form in tact without the pain :thumbsup2

I originally trained for 3/1 -- and somehow ended up getting comfortable at a 1/1....i'm currently going back to a 2/1 and 3/1 in training. I have 2 more half marathons (Oct and Nov) and am hoping this increases my time.

It's finding what works for you

Interesting about the weight loss and the getting faster!! I am trying to shave off another 10-15 lbs before my Aug 1 half.

Sorry about the tailbone. :(

I am training with a local Galloway program here in Raleigh (6:30AM Sat runs, :eek:). I joined the 13 pace group, and they recommend 1/1s. You don't go up to 3/1s until you get to the 10:30 pace group.

I have personally found, and of course, YMMV, esp with the tailbone, that if I go to 3/1s or 3/2s, I start hurting. 1/1s with a 2/1 thrown in here and there, and I seem to recover a lot better?

they do say that...but just a tiny thing to help relieve you a little bit, it took me 3:52 to finish, and finish i did with the back of the pack....once you get past about mile 11 or 12, the fear of the sweep is gone, because you're back in the park -- but just made it past the sweep at mile 10 for me...i lost 5 mins in a porta potty line, and maybe 3-5 mins stopping to re-vaseline my one foot - but even with that, i beat the sweep -- think they were a tiny bit generous with the time...and people finished behind me also..think up to 4 (even though honestly, it does say 3.5) -- train for 3.5 -- but don't panic yourself...you'll move faster then you think with adrenalin kicking in

I also found out, about 2 weeks before, that they don't start the 3.5 timeclock until the last person crosses the start line. Maybe it was better I didn't know that in training! :laughing: I didn't cross the start line until 6:25 or so and was far from the last one to cross (front of corral D), so depending on your start position, that buys extra time too.

If I ever try a full, I might try the Nov OBX one, in the Outer Banks. They open the course at 7AM and don't close it until 3PM... that goes for the half marathoners too as they share the course and the halfers start at the same time, just in the middle.

Oh, and I have been reading all of your blogs. I love blogs. :)

I average about an 18 min mile and need to get faster...I have tried to increase my walk speed, but that isn't happening. I'm going to increase my run intervals instead, since i pick up speed there. -- when i run more, i can hit 16 mins --- ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)

Well that's encouraging to hear (read)! I'm trying to hold off on starting the intervals until I get new shoes next month. I bought new ones at the beginning of May but I don't love them and I don't think they'll be great for running.

I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog! I check it every day and have learned A LOT. Thank you for documenting your journey! :flower3:

Yay! Deb, I found a way to add your blog feed to my google reader. Ahh, technology! I also am now a "follower" for the two from the first page.

Later today I am looking forward to reading your Princess HM report. :)

about the blog - thanks so much...i'm laying low right now, and trying to let my tailbone heal.

I fell in Jan. and haven't stopped moving -- so while I've been in lazy mode, i think it's actually helping. Going to stay in slow motion for a few more days and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers! OBX - I saw that and almost signed up!!! i signed up for AmishHalf.com instead though because it's closer to home.

Haha, I just commented. :)

The OBX one is about 3 hours from me. There is a Raleigh City of Oaks that is the weekend before, which is right in my backyard, but I have heard it is a competitive (under 3 hour), hilly course.

I don't think I am really ready for that... maybe next year. Plus I have a friend from Chicago coming down to do it with me (same friend for the Aug 1 RnR), and it will be a fun beach weekend.

thx, just saw

glad your injury healed too...yeah, i'm nervous about the resting too long - and not restarting, but i think having races in the fall will help push me again

I hit Disney next week, so i'll be walking there, but that's all i'll do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts