50s Prime Time or Mama Melrose??

mom2ntbj

Earning My Ears
Trying to decide on a a table service meal for Hollywood Studios. Last trip we ate at Sci Fi. This trip is only my husband and I. Which is better - 50s or Mama Melrose??

I havent tried mamma melrose, but have been to prime time 3 times. The food is ordinary, but the atmosphere is great!

I haven't been to 50's Prime Time in many years. I didn't enjoy the food and the restaurant wasn't my thing. I've gone to Mamas a few times over the last few years and I really enjoy it.

Since the opening of both Il Mulino and Via Napoli, we get our fill of Italian food there, so we never get the urge to go to Mam Melrose. It is far below the quality of these other two. So we prefer to go to 50's, as the food and atmosphere provide much needed diversity. That is not to say that Mama Melrose is bad. But 50's simply provides a more unique Disney experience. Neither place is going to win a James Beard award any time soon. So the "fun factor" comes into play, and in that regard, 50's wins.

I haven't been to Mama Melrose. Have been to 50's PTC and do enjoy it. I find the food on par with ScI Fi only with different theming.

We like both restaurants and have gone many times in the past. If I had to choose which one to eat at, I would probably say 50's Prime Time for the theme, atmosphere, and the comfort food that they serve....I love me some Fried Chicken and S'mores :love:. Mama Melrose is really good too (love the flat breads there) and if you are planning on doing the F dining package, I would recommend doing it there :goodvibes.

We went to Mama Melrose's last year and to 50's Primetime Cafe this year. I enjoyed both but liked 50's better. My kids didn't like Mama Melrose's but loved 50's PTC so much they wanted to go back but we were out of TS credits and still had a bunch of CS credits so I told them they would have to wait until our next trip.

I would choose mama melrose, especially since you won't be going with children. The food is far better at mama melrose and the atmosphere is more adult.

I'd have to go with Mama Melrose. The food is way better. Try the Carne d'Italia flatbread and the calamari.....yum!

Two years ago I would have said 50's. However, with a recent chef and menu change at both I would go with Mama Melrose. We have also had extended waits to be seated(45 minutes pas our ADR) at 50's recently. Frankly, they have been the longest waits we have experienced at any Disney establishment.

50's was the only bad experience we had on our last trip. I would eat from a food cart before I went back there.

We've been one time to each restaurant. I would go with Mama Melrose. The food was tastier, IMO. The atmosphere was fun at 50's, but I like the atmosphere at Mama Melrose for two adults.

That being said, on all of our other trips, we mainly stick with Sci Fi. Love that place!

I used to like 50's Prime Time when the food was better and the waitstaff really got into their roles. I dined there in 2006 and then again this past May and they didn't play the part at all. The theme seemed to just be the decor. I liked when the waitress would say elbows off the table, no dessert unless those hands are cleaned and checked them; my older sister was once put in the corner lol! But my last two dining experiences were boring. And even worse in May, I ate there and got sick. Then a few days later my parents and brother dined there and got sick. The only thing that I still like is the PB&J shake and you can order that at Tune in Lounge. I have not eaten at Mama Melrose as I like good Italian food and not Olive Garden qualify. However, if I had to choose between the 2, I would go with Mama Melrose.

we went on our honeymoon to 50's primetime. DH insisted we go back a second time he loved the chicken so much! That was 7 years ago though!

I would pick Mama Melrose because I ate there and the food was great(i had steak). From what I gather 50' s food is below average quality although I am going on my next trip so I can give it a good hearted effort:)

Well, we didn't try Mama Melrose. But loved 50s Prime Time! The food was some of the best on our trip (much better than Akershus and any CS dining). My kids loved seeing the b/w TV programs, it felt homey inside, and while the servers didn't get into their roles as much as I'd read, it was kind of nice that my kids weren't harassed to eat all their veggies (DD4 is quite picky). DH was told many times to take his elbows off the tables, but that was about it which was perfect.

It has become tradition to eat at 50's Prime Time each trip. For me, it is more for the atmosphere. Now, the food isn't bad by any means, but it isn't anything spectacular either. We always have a good time! I haven't tried Mama Melrose, so it may be a decision on what type of atmosphere you are wanting most.

Right now I have an ADR for 50s. I have heard that there are no fabulous places for food in HS so I am going more for the "entertainment" value at 50s! Hopefully our experience will live up to some others that I have read about. Would hate to get a server who was not "in to" his part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!