5 adults spend 8 days making pigs of themselves!

Ugh, the thing about the kids at Teppan Edo really bothers me. I went to Disney World when I was 6 and again at 12 with my 5 year old sister and I know that neither of us were allowed to run wild. I can understand being noisy, but running around like that? Some people :scared1:

Main Street Bakery, MK – snack

We are now half-way through day 2 of our 8 days, and we realized we haven’t used a single snack credit. Time to rectify that! By 2:30, we were pretty much done with MK for the day, and decided to head back to the resort. Of course, this meant we had to walk by the Main Street Bakery, and hey…wait a minute….what smells so good? And then I remember reading about those cookie ice-cream sandwiches at the Bakery. Needless to say, I convinced everyone that they needed a snack. Yes, arms were twisted.

Although there were literally only 3 or 4 people in front of us, it took FOREVER to place our order. They are so slow in there. I think if I ever saw 20 people in line in front of me here, I’d keep walking. Let me repeat - the wait here is ridiculous!

I double checked first to make sure the ice-cream sandwich was still offered as a snack, and I was delighted to hear that it was. The guys looked at me like I was going on and on a little too much about this snack, but they had no idea what was in store for them. When we got to order, we had a choice of chocolate chip, sugar or ??? some other kind of cookie (I’m sorry…it’s only been a week and my memory is going on me already!). We all chose the chocolate chip, except Chris who opted for the sugar cookies. Now imagine their eyeballs when they see two huge cookies each, with 2-3 scoops of ice-cream sandwiched between them. I giggled like a schoolgirl!

We grabbed a table, and let me tell you, the looks we got from everyone at the other tables was hilarious! One woman leaned over to me and asked “seriously, are you really going to eat that?!”

So, picture 5 of us sitting at a table, and suddenly realizing that we have to eat these things. First off – we’re not even remotely hungry. Secondly – everyone raves about what a great deal this snack is, but no one ever says HOW they actually eat these things! Ya pick them up, and they’re like 5 inches thick – too thick to bite into. Trust me, I tried. It didn’t work. So off I go and grab 5 forks and spoons. We had to dismantle the sandwiches to eat them.

All that sounds great, but the reality is, the cookies sucked! They were hard as rocks. Even the cookie sitting on the bottom, after 15 minutes with ice-cream melting on it, was still rock hard. You’d have thought it would get soggy, but no. I think I ate half of one cookie, and all the ice-cream. Chris did the best, polishing off about 2/3 of the sandwich. He found the sugar cookies easier to chew than the chocolate chip.

Long story short – an amazing deal for a snack credit, if you like awful cookies and don’t mind spending half an hour figuring out how to eat the darned thing! I think they’d do well to revisit their cookie recipe. I think this snack would be awesome with chewy cookies!

Would we do it again? No, never! The Bakery itself has other wonderful looking goodies. I'll just never do that particular snack again.

Did I mention that this is the EXACT moment we began to roll down the sidewalk? Oink, oink….everyone move aside….5 little piggies coming through…

Total cost would have been $30, but covered by DDP.

Raglan Road, DTD – Dinner

After a little waddle back to the resort to rest, it was time to waddle on down to DTD for our ADR at Raglan Road.

I was born and raised in Dublin, so this was another "must try" for me. I’ve read mixed reviews, seems like people either love it or hate it. I was looking forward to the music and dancing as much as the food.

We only had to wait a minute or two for our table, and then it started - the “squeeze 5 into the space of 4” routine that happened several times on this trip. This really pi*#ed me off! We were put in a booth for 4, and they stuck a chair at the end of the table. They claimed to have no other tables available. What really bugs me is that we’d originally booked for 6 people but instead of the 6-person table, and “wasting” a chair, they bumped us down. The booth by itself was lovely, but a little tight for 4. Adding an extra person at the end just made it unbearably uncomfortable. We also had a booth close to the front of the restaurant. This meant that when the dancing started, we couldn’t see a thing. We literally filed out of the booth and stood in the aisle to see her strut her stuff. When I saw her up there, I wasn’t sure whether to be glad for where we were, rather than the tables right next to where she was dancing over their heads! I'm sure their drinks must have been sloshing over the rims!

Seating aside, we ordered some drinks. Service was slow, but in their defense, they were packed to the rafters. The server, who shall remain nameless, did nothing to make our experience more enjoyable. He was rushed and it was obvious.

Remarkably enough, we were sensible enough not to order appetizers. I think the ice-cream sandwiches were still sitting like a lump in the pit of our stomachs! I ordered the fish and chips, and the other 4 ordered steaks. I would rate the fish and chips here superior to the ones you get at the Rose and Crown. The fish was fresh and mild, and nice and flakey, just the way I like it. The Rose and Crown on the last trip was rubbery. Fries were excellent. Crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Finished everything on my plate!

The steaks had a whiskey glaze, and everyone enjoyed it thoroughly. All were cooked as ordered. I was worried that Sophie might find the whisky flavour too much, but she didn’t – she really enjoyed it. Another 4 to add to the clean-plate club!

And then there was dessert. Oink oink. Not the least bit hungry (were we ever hungry this day, after breakfast?) but noticed the Baileys Crème Brulee tart. Ok, you take 2 of my favorites – Baileys and crème brulee and put them together – it’s a no-brainer. But I ended up disappointed with this dessert. I got so excited seeing the Baileys and crème brulee that I didn’t notice the “tart” part of it. It wasn’t the same consistency of crème brulee – it was more like blamange. Which I HATE! The Baileys flavour was also very, very subtle - so subtle I couldn't really taste it. So this dessert was a write off for me. Chris had ordered it too, but he enjoyed it more than I did. Kev had ice-cream (surprise!) , Matt had nothing. Sophie had the bread and butter pudding.

I have to say, I have read over and over and over again about how good the bread and butter pudding is. I was determined to try it. But no, I got distracted by the promise of Baileys and brulee. But when I tasted Sophie's pudding, omg….if I could fly back there right now, just for that dessert, I would! It’s THAT good!

Bread and butter pudding sounds weird. It is really bread. And butter. In a large cup. Soaked in god knows what. But it turns into the most unbelievable dessert ever. The two sauces just put it right over the edge. Seriously – if you go to Raglan Road, have the bread and butter pudding! I think, quite possibly, this is the best dessert in WDW. Well, maybe it ties for first with Kouzzina’s and the loukoumades.

Overall impression: enjoyed this meal, but would have enjoyed it more with a little more elbow room and an easier view of the entertainment. The restaurant appeared to have a great atmosphere to it, but we felt quite cut-off from where we were located. I would hold out for a better table next time. Food wise – good eats, and a dessert that’s worthy of drawing you in there all by itself for an afternoon or late-night snack. Will definitely give this restaurant another chance.

Cost of everything: $179.19
Covered by DDP: $170.19
OOP expenses: Matt had a beer - $9
Tip of $31

Loving the reviews so far! No pictures is not a bad thing. :thumbsup2 Thanks for writing it up and reviewing the ice cream sandwich. I was thinking about doing that, but figured it was too good to be true....and it seems that it is.

Starring Rolls, HS – breakfast/snack

This was our 3rd day of waking up in WDW (although technically day 4 on the DDP), and we are already waking up and groaning at the though of “having” to eat! We skipped breakfast at the villa and decided we’d grab something at the park when we felt peckish.

The rope dropped at 9, and by 10 we were peckish. Hmmm….that little “fasting” episode lasted long, didn’t it?!

I’d read about Starring Rolls on DIS (are you beginning to think all I do is read the posts on DIS?) This place proved once again, that a little (or a lot) of research, pays off!

Since this was technically day 4 on the DDP, and we’ve only used one snack credit each, we decided to each use 2 credits, and get something to eat and drink.

Chris, Sophie and I ordered the cinnamon rolls. Kev and Matt had turnovers – Kev chose cherry, Matt chose the apple. All these items are huge! Ultra fresh. I think quite possible that was the best cinnamon roll I’ve had in my life. The outside was kind of crispy, the inside soft and gooy. Not overly sweet, but sweet enough to tame my sweet-tooth! I spent the rest of the week sampling cinnamon buns from other places, but none matched up to Starring Rolls. The fruit spilled out of the turnovers, there was so much of it. I tasted the apple, and it was good. While I love fresh cherries, Matt’s turnover was filled with what I refer to as artificial cherries! I’m sure you know the stuff I mean – about as far from fresh as you can get. So for that reason, I declined a sample. But he claims it was very good and ate it all. We all washed our goodies down with a bottle of chocolate milk and we were good to go until lunch! Scratch that - we were good to go until our popcorn snacks!

I have to tell you – as I sit and look at everything we ate – I’m horrified! We don’t normally eat like this – honest! Oink, oink, oink….

Total cost would have been $23.43 but all covered by snack credits.

Up next…perhaps my favorite all week…50’s Prime Time!

you dont need photos with your great discription of everything.....you have done an amazing job......and I know about being FULL.....we did this (hubby and myself in September)...So I used to say.....roll me out the door.....thanks again for yoru reviews

Love the danishes at Starring Roles!! :thumbsup2 YUMMY!! I'm wanting to go to WDW NOW. Your reviews are starving me!

Ugh, the thing about the kids at Teppan Edo really bothers me. I went to Disney World when I was 6 and again at 12 with my 5 year old sister and I know that neither of us were allowed to run wild. I can understand being noisy, but running around like that? Some people :scared1:

yeah, it still bothers me too. My boys, who are now 21 and 23, were NEVER allowed to run around in any restaurant, no matter where it was. I guess lots of folk figure, hey, it's Disney...kids can do whatever they want.

Loving the reviews so far! No pictures is not a bad thing. :thumbsup2 Thanks for writing it up and reviewing the ice cream sandwich. I was thinking about doing that, but figured it was too good to be true....and it seems that it is.

That's exactly what I thought!!! "Too good to be true!"

you dont need photos with your great discription of everything.....you have done an amazing job......and I know about being FULL.....we did this (hubby and myself in September)...So I used to say.....roll me out the door.....thanks again for yoru reviews

But that's what vacation is all about, right? Doing stuff you don't normally do at home! Actually, I consider it all research for our next trip.... so we'll know where to go to eat, and what to eat... (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

Love the danishes at Starring Roles!! :thumbsup2 YUMMY!! I'm wanting to go to WDW NOW. Your reviews are starving me!

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been on a STRICT diet for the last 2 weeks. Not a morsel of baked goodies, chocolate, ice-cream, chips....or danish!...has passed these lips since WDW. OMG, I want to go back right now!!

50’s PrimeTime, HS – Lunch

I think I’ve already mentioned that my clan is not big into character dining. So my job was to select restaurants that offered good food, but hopefully provide some sort of “different” entertainment or atmosphere. After lots of reading, I figured 50’s PT would be a good addition to the line-up.

Remember we had those cinnamon rolls and chocolate milk at 10 am? Well, we caught the Indiana Jones show before lunch, and picked up some popcorn – both regular popped and the caramel. So, by the time we arrive for lunch, we’re not exactly starving. Still, I was determined we were going to eat here and have some fun. And we did!

We arrived right on time, and were asked to wait in the living room, and that mom would come get us when lunch was ready. They boys looked at me with a “what the…?!” kind of look. Of course, they thought the furniture was a riot. I didn’t dare tell them that I remember lots of similar stuff around me when I was growing up…

We’re eventually led to our table, and Auntie Claire came to take care of us. She was loud and rambunctious and absolutely over-the-top. Perfect!!! The boys began to catch on to the theme.

We all ordered shakes of some kind – Sophie and I had strawberry, two of the guys had chocolate, Chris had a root beer float. We seemed to wait an eternity for these drinks. When Auntie Claire brought them to us, she left the containers they were mixed in as there was another half-glass in each. She warned us to stir them before pouring as they are so thick they glob up and plop into the glass, sending splashes everywhere. Auntie Clair announced, loudly of course, that if that happened, after doubling over killing herself laughing at us, she’d make us mop the floor! That shake was perhaps the best I’ve ever had. It was so thick, and there were huge chunks of fresh strawberries that kept plugging up the straw. Delicious while mildly annoying!

At this point, Auntie Claire made a comment about Chris – or “Sparkey” as she called him – telling him to get his elbows off the table. She then looked at Matt – now dubbed “Spike” (LOL….she nailed it with the nicknames) and asked "when did it become ok for you to wear a hat at the table?!" Elbows and hat were promptly placed where they should have been!

On to the food. I ordered the pot roast. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but the amount of meat was crazy – way too much! However, it was very tasty – it was moist, extremely tender and flavourful. If there’s one thing I hate, it’s fatty meat, but there wasn’t a speck of fat on the plate. It came with mash and veggies, and it was all just perfect. I was seriously stuffed, but I knew what would happen if I didn’t clean my plate… so I cleaned my plate!

Kev and Matt had the chicken sandwiches. They both enjoyed them, but they didn’t feel they were exceptional. They both thought that they were decent lunches, but nothing to write home about. Matt, who’s a big guy and usually leaves nothing on his plate, couldn’t finish. I chuckled to myself hoping Auntie Claier wouldn’t let this go unnoticed.

Chris had some kind of sandwich - honestly, I can’t remember what was in it, but I think it was ham and/or turkey. He must have cleaned his plate as Auntie Claire said nothing to him afterwards.

Sophie had the chicken pie – it was full of big chunks of chicken and looked very thick and creamy. Sophie really liked it, but being a petite girl, and being half stuffed of popcorn, the pie got the better of her. Oh-oh!

As we were eating, Auntie Claire came by and poked her head through the “window” beside us, and started yakking to the neighbours. It was hilarious – she was telling jokes, singing “...mr. foo foo, I don’t want to see you…” Everyone was in stitches!

So it’s time to clear the tables off, and Auntie Claire notices that Spike hasn’t left a clean plate. Sure enough, she announced it loudly so that everyone in the vicinity was watching, and then proceeds to feed Spike his left over veggies while pretending the fork was an airplane. OMG, I don’t think I’ve laughed that hard in years!! You'd have to know Matt to appreciate it, I guess. He's "Mr. Tough Guy", - loves rap and heavy metal, drives around in a huge truck with music blaring and pretty much can intimidate anyone with just a look - and here he is, being spoon fed by an "airplane"! But he's got a glint in his eye, and he is thoroughly enjoying every minute of this!

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Sophie is squirming in her seat. Auntie Claire turns her attention to Sophie, and Sophie immediately tells her that she’s just way too full to finish that pie. So Auntie Clair says fine honey, but there’s just two little itty bitty peas that need to be taken care of…so she fed those to Sophie!

We all skipped dessert. This oink fest was getting the best of us. Auntie Claire however decided that we’d paid for dessert, so we should take it with us. She packaged up 5 large cupcakes for us to take with us. They were chocolate with lots of icing. What a thoughtful Auntie! Everyone had their cupcake as a midnight snack, except me – mine eventually ended up in the garbage. But I heard that they were very good when washed down with a nice glass of ice-cold milk!

Overall impression: not to be missed!! I suppose the experience will really depend on the server you get and how “into” it you’re willing to go. There were tables around us that weren’t getting the same kind of attention, but then, those groups looks pretty serious, and I think perhaps the servers sensed that. But for us, this was the most fun we’ve had in a restaurant in a long time! The food was good and offered enough of a selection to please everyone. I would definitely return just to have the pot roast – it really was very good. Definitely on our “must return” list!

Total cost of meal: $107.99, all covered on the DDP
Tip: $25

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter