5/4 Magic Trip Report

jtorch

Earning My Ears
Cast: Myself (34), Husband (36), DD (almost 7) and DS (14 months). First, I must say that we had a wonderful vacation. I would do it again in a second. I'm going to give you the good as well as the bad so be prepared!!

Flew down the day before, rented a car from Avis (at airport) and stayed at the Radisson at Port Canaveral. We got the $59 rate and were extremely pleased. Hotel was very nice and pool area was fantastic. It was nice to relax knowing we were right down the street from the ship! Plenty of restaurants in the area and there was a supermarket (Winn Dixie) down the street across from Ron Jon's Surf shop.

Embarkation Day: Took the Avis shuttle over to the ship. We actually waited a while since check-out at the Radisson wasn't until 12 noon (we let the kids swim in the morning). I thought the check-in was crazy. The lines were ridiculous. They zig zagged and stretched throughout the whole terminal. What can you do. This long line of course lead to mass confusion and chaos at Topsiders for lunch. Too many people all at once. Plus, in general people are excited and nervous and trying to learn what to do. It was much more relaxing the second day.

Our dining rotation was Parrot Cay, Lumiere's, Animator's Palate (PLAPLAP). This worked out great for us with the formal night at Lumiere's. It you don't get this rotation please don't stress. It really isn't a big deal to be dressed up in another restaurant besides Lumiere's or to be in tropical wear in a restaurant besides Parrot Cay. Just go with the flow.

We had decided prior to the cruise not to do Palo's or the Spa. I just didn't want to leave my 14 month old in the nursery. I know you probably think we're crazy but that's just how I am. It worked out fine though. I had many people tell us how wonderful Palo's was though! Most people I spoke with did not have trouble getting a reservation.

FOOD: This was the low point of the cruise for me. Again, not a big deal. I had a great time. I just thought the food was so-so and there really wasn't a great selection. Again, no problem...at least I wasn't doing the cooking. This is something I would really not complain about but if someone specifically asked me how the food was I would have to say (having travelled on Royal Caribbean and Carnival) that this was the worst out of the lines I've been on.

RUDENESS: One more low point. Again, we didn't let this bother us but we just couldn't believe the amount of rude people on the ship. (Of course we met just as many wonderful people as well). All I can say is that when I bump into someone I always smile and say excuse me or I'm sorry. I'm not used to saying that and having people just give me a dirty look or no response at all. Get over it people. Give a smile every once in a while and be a little more polite. We were all on vacation, why not be happy.

CREW: What can I say. FANTASTIC! Friendly, accomodating, always upbeat and pleasant. The service was great on all ends. Our wait staff was a little stiff but still very effective. Head waiters on this ship were wonderful in dealing with my son's food allergies. They baked him special bread and served him special pasta. He couldn't make it until our 8:30 seating so the head waiters had me come to the dining room every night at 6:15 and pick up his meal so I could feed him earlier. Outstanding! They really went above and beyond.

KIDS CLUB: Unfortunately, my daughter really didn't participate. She went to a few activities but thought it was too babyish for her (she is just about 7). She was in the 5-7 range. It's too bad they couldn't narrow that down. Maybe change it from 3-4; 5-7; 8-9 to 3-5; 6-7; 8-9. Oh well...again, not a big deal. She is an absolute fish and spent her days swimming in the pools. She had a blast. Also, at night there were plenty of family activities to participate in since she didn't do the club. She loved the Family Dance Parties!

PORTS: We didn't venture out too far because it was too hard with the little one. St. Maarten we took the water taxi over to Great Bay Beach and went to Everyting Cool! Rented an umbrella and two chairs for $10. Went swimming and jet skied. After that we went shopping and back to the ship. We had a great time.

St. Thomas (we had been there before) is just a beautiful sight. What a place. No beaches for us just some shopping and back to enjoy the uncrowded ship and pools.

Castaway Cay. No words can describe this paradise. It is what everone says it is. Water is as clear as a swimming pool, sand is pure white. Konk Koolers are delicious. Could have stayed forever!!

SHOWS: Disney Dreams is just magical. I had chills and tears in my eyes. This is a must see and is what Disney is all about. Hope they never change this one.

SHIP: A classic beauty. It is very elegant and clean. Nicely laid out. Pools are small but hey, it's a ship. How big can they be? Maybe they will readjust this if they build another. I think there could have been a little more supervision at the Mickey Pool. Bigger kids were jumping in and bumping into the very little ones. Parents were worrying that they babies would be hurt.

STATEROOM: We had secret porthole cabin #5020. I would highly recommend this. The view was great - not much obstruction at all. Nice area of ship. Very quiet hallway and convenient. Only problem is most of eating areas are at the opposite end of the ship. I looked at this as a good thing...I exercised a little extra to get back to my cabin. Other than that this location and cabin was perfect.

CHARACTERS: I thought they were very accessible. We saw every character, got every autograph and pictures (except the pictures I just accidently erased from my digital camera -- 50 of them. I'm sick to my stomach).

OVERALL: A wonderful cruise experience. If you have kids I think it's perfect. I would do it again. Maybe the western next year! I hope so. If you have any questions please ask. These boards were so helpful to me in preparing for the trip. I need to pay you all back a little.

Thanks. Janine

Thanks for the nice balanced trip report. I wonder about all those people who are so rude! Can't they just relax and say "Hey, we are on vacation?" Seems like they like having to be worried and stressed. Good for you not to let them bother you! Was your room on the port or the starboard side of the ship. What did you see out of the window. I guess I want to know what you saw as you pulled into the various ports.
Thanks for the report!

Hi Maryann:

We were on the port side. In both St. Thomas and St. Maarten we were not facing the "good" side so we had no view (at least not a pretty one). At Castaway we did get the view and it was gorgeous.

This could all change from week to week depending on if the Captain docks the ship bow first or stern first. You never know what you'll get!

Thanks. Janine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter