40% resort discounts

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Cakesy, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Cakesy

Cakesy Mouseketeer

The current 40% room discounts have allowed me to price a disney vacation that we could actually afford! But I am really hoping to plan it for next fall. Is this 40% off thing somewhat common? Am I likely to find it next year?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Needzavacation

Needzavacation Mouseketeer

Here's a link to a historical look at Disney World discounts: http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html.

The 40% discount has popped up fairly regularly during slow periods, but recent media coverage of Disney earnings calls indicate that they want to put the brakes on all the discounts. That said, when occupancy falls, discounts drive reservations.

4. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

I think you will see less public discounts and more pin codes.

5. mzozzietj

mzozzietj DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing the mousesavers link... I'm holding my breath for room-only discounts for 10/9-12/2010 for our 11th anniversary :D

That link gives me hope that they *may* open up discounts soon for Disney Visa or AP holders (which we can use)

6. Cakesy

Cakesy Mouseketeer

Thanks so much. I am so excited to maybe bring my daughter, but we won't be able to afford it without some of the better discount offers.
    What do you mean by pin codes?

7. crow11ad

crow11ad Disney Magic Maker and Tower of Terror Expert!

Disney release pin codes by mail or email.

8. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

disney targets offers by address (email or postal). if your next door neighbor gets a 40% off postcard, disney will not give you the discount even if your neighbor gives you the postcard with the pin code.

9. WDW1979

WDW1979 .

I think there will be some big discounts on WDW hotels in the coming months and 2011. There is almost no growth in the U.S. economy and unemployment is stuck near 10%. In the face of these economic problems, Disney has raised their 2011 hotel rates as much as 5%. Those increases will allow Disney to advertise discounts of 35% - 40%, increases that are really 30% - 35% due to their having raised prices by as much as 5%, an increase that never would have stuck in this economy.

10. VAN

VAN DIS Veteran

I'd like to say that some places are starting to look at how they market to people. In Las Vegas for the past two years, we were getting comped rooms (free) - now the only offers we get are for reduced rooms with resort fees. I think even though the economy is still bad, they are starting to try to wean people off of the low/no prices they have been paying.

So, while there have always been "some" discounts available at WDW (AAA, AP), the ones offered the last two years have been phenomemenal! People are starting to "expect" a huge discount and are saying they won't go to WDW without one!

I would think at some point WDW would have to start looking at how they are going to normalize things without losing their base customers.

11. mcd2745

mcd2745 These Mickey pretzels are making me thirsty!

Well, Disney released their second-quarter earnings last night and the Parks/Resorts/Cruise Line division did not do well compared to their other businesses. The major reason cited was lower attendance. They may have to think twice about doing away with the discounts if attendance doesn't pick up.

12. ElizabethB

ElizabethB <font color=teal>I have a raw meat fetish. Who kne

WDW1979 and mcd2745 are correct, IMO. Disney may want to stop discounting, but according to the report to analysts, even beginning to try to wean people away from the discounts resulted in an 8% decline in hotel bookings.

13. AJRitz

AJRitz DIS DAD #420

40% package discounts for that time period have already been making the rounds via PIN codes. Not sure about room only. However, I'd be somewhat surprised to see them. First, that's Columbus Day Weekend, and even the 40% package discounts excluded those dates. Second, there are some reports already of moderate and deluxe resorts being booked solid for that weekend (holiday weekend + Food & Wine Festival + MNSSHPs).

14. mrbghd

mrbghd DIS Veteran

Part of the problem with this though is that discounting rooms and packages has not helped in park spending. The way they have been discounting they have been getting people into the parks that maybe were borderline on affording the trip. Generally, this clientele will spend less per person in the parks versus guests that can afford a non-discounted rate. Not judging, just providing a different economic viewpoint.

Eventually the discounts will begin to diminish or change. This can be seen now in the larger amount of black-out dates for free dining, etc.

15. mcd2745

mcd2745 These Mickey pretzels are making me thirsty!

16. canoe86

canoe86 Mouseketeer

I'm waiting for the discounts to book.

17. mrbghd

mrbghd DIS Veteran

18. bouncycat

bouncycat DIS Veteran

I"m waiting for discounts to book for may also.