4 yr old in nursery?

LMHB

Mouseketeer
DCL lists the ages for the nursery from 1 - 3, and the kids clubs from 4 - 12, at least I think it is 12. Last time we went, she was 2, and loved the nursery. My son was in the kids club and it seemed like pandemonium, large kids running everywhere and lots of parents standing around. My petite daughter will JUST have turned four, and I would prefer to put her in the nursery if at all possible, I don't mind paying extra. I called DCL to ask about this, and they said it was up to the discretion of the staff. Has anyone else had experience with this? I love the idea that no adults except staff are allowed in the nursery....even we weren't allowed to walk back there, which was fine with me. There were strange (to my children, at least) adults all over the clubs, and I don't like the idea of my little one being in there with a crowd of big kids and non-staff adults. Also, she still naps, and there were cribs in the back of the nursery, I'd love to leave her there some naptimes. Anyone with any experience with putting a 4 year old in Flounder's Reef? I am not interested in being talked into putting her in the kids clubs, just looking for info on whether staff was agreeable to put 4 year olds in the nursery. Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong, but I have heard parents are only allowed in the kids club on open house times. Other than that it is secured programing. Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny that.

However, I am sure they will let you put her in the nursery if you ask!

I am not sure if they will let her in the nursery but I wanted to ease your fear about one of your concerns. Parents are no longer allowed to hang out in the club with there children. When the club is secured parents may only go into the club to pick up club. The only time parents may stay in the club is during open houses.

I could be wrong, but I have heard parents are only allowed in the kids club on open house times. Other than that it is secured programing. Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny that.

However, I am sure they will let you put her in the nursery if you ask!

That is correct that there are no non-staff adults in kids club during regular hours, only during open house... The kids club also offers a resting spot, particularly for late nights... However when my just-4yo wants a nap I plan to take him back to our room!

I think a four year old would be bored to bits in the nursery... And it is my understanding that you cannot flip flop, pick a kids club level and stick with it!

DCL lists the ages for the nursery from 1 - 3, and the kids clubs from 4 - 12, at least I think it is 12. Last time we went, she was 2, and loved the nursery. My son was in the kids club and it seemed like pandemonium, large kids running everywhere and lots of parents standing around. My petite daughter will JUST have turned four, and I would prefer to put her in the nursery if at all possible, I don't mind paying extra. I called DCL to ask about this, and they said it was up to the discretion of the staff. Has anyone else had experience with this? I love the idea that no adults except staff are allowed in the nursery....even we weren't allowed to walk back there, which was fine with me. There were strange (to my children, at least) adults all over the clubs, and I don't like the idea of my little one being in there with a crowd of big kids and non-staff adults. Also, she still naps, and there were cribs in the back of the nursery, I'd love to leave her there some naptimes. Anyone with any experience with putting a 4 year old in Flounder's Reef? I am not interested in being talked into putting her in the kids clubs, just looking for info on whether staff was agreeable to put 4 year olds in the nursery. Thanks in advance!

The nursery is ages 1-3, kids clubs (Oceaneers Club & Lab) is 3-11. In the club there are 2 areas: the Club with activities for younger kids (3-7ish) and the Lab with activities for older kids (8-11ish). That being said, any child in the Club/Lab can do whichever activities appeal to them. As pointed out by PPs, adults are not allowed in the kids clubs except for the planned Open House hours.

OP, look at it from the other side, if you were the parent with an 18 month old in the nursery, would you be comfortable with a 4 year old running around in there? And there aren't really any appropriate activities planned for kids that age there.

:cutie:

It is highly inappropriate to have a four-year-old in the nursery with babies as young as twelve weeks up to toddlers. If I had booked my baby into the nursery and learned that had happened I would demand a meeting with the children's programming supervisor and also request a refund of nursery fees paid. If your child cannot handle being alone in the Club or Lab then don't use them unless it's Open House, which would require you or another adult in your party to supervise her. Naps can happen in your stateroom.

As a PP said the Nursery is up to 3 yo so she would be very old for that room. We just went on a cruise last month on the Magic and my daughter was 2 years 8 months. She seems older than my son was at that age since she plays with him and his older friends and can 'hold her own'.

I was actually worried about her being in the nursery with the babies. She was fine in there but bored. The slide they have in there was smaller than she was. We went to the open house for the Oceaneer Club with both my kids and she LOVED it (esp the tree house and slide). We spoke to the staff there and they may have talked to the nursery people but we were able to get her a wristband so she could go to the Club or Lab with her brother. We were so excited. She was potty trained so I think that and with her level of confidence being on her own (she goes to pre-school 2x a week) helped with their decision.

I'm sure your 4 yo will have a blast. It did seem the OClub had younger kids and OLab had the older side of the range.

I don't know the official policy and I would call DCL for their position but just like 18 yos are not allowed in the Clubs my best guess is 4 yos are not allowed in the nursery. If cost is not an issue, then you could bring a nanny or babysitter with you to sit with your 4 yo in your state room for naps and attend open houses with them in the clubs. Where we live, 4 yos go to kindergarten in the same school that houses kids up to 8th grade so I personally think they are sort of aged out of the nursery but that is not an official DCL postion. Best wishes!

It is highly inappropriate to have a four-year-old in the nursery with babies as young as twelve weeks up to toddlers. If I had booked my baby into the nursery and learned that had happened I would demand a meeting with the children's programming supervisor and also request a refund of nursery fees paid. If your child cannot handle being alone in the Club or Lab then don't use them unless it's Open House, which would require you or another adult in your party to supervise her. Naps can happen in your stateroom.

Wow, I don't know if your response was meant to sound harsh, but it does.

As a Mother of a 4 year old that went in the Club last year, I perfectly understand her point of view. EVERY time we checked our daughter in the club, she was COMPLETELY over run with 7-10 year olds. And, she is a child that can handle being alone and hold her own. I really thought the 7-10yr olds would enjoy the Lab better, but they were in the club running on and over the little ones, figuratively and literally!

It may not bother some, but I went with the hopes that my younger child should have been able to enjoy a club without being run over by bigger kids. I think this Mother has an EXTREMELY appropriate question of where can her younger child enjoy the cruise without worrying about being overtaken by the older children allowed to play in the club too.

To OP....

The new system of age requirements, etc. went into effect in December, 2011. As part of that, the open house system was instituted. In the past, parents could basically "visit" the OC/OL at any time. That is not the case any more. At all times, there is an area designated for "secure programming." If your child is in the secure programming, adults other than CM will be allowed in only for a few minutes to claim their child--there is a little variation whether this means walk in, get your child, leave or whether it allows a parent to wait 5 minutes while a kid finishes an activity. There is no question that it does not allow for a prolonged visit or for interaction with any child other than one's own.

During open house hours/location (totally separate from secure programming), parents, siblings, or anyone who wishes can enter the area and "play." Children in this setting must have a parent or other responsible adult with them. There are CMs present and activities scheduled, but the parent is primarily responsible for the safety of their child.

If your child is in the secure programming and the location for this changes, the CMs will move your child to the new location.

I was not aware that the older group can basically run ramshod all around even with the younger set. I have a 7 yo and a 3y10m old that is tall/big for his age. He's bigger than some 6yos I know. if they are able to be together great, as they work very well as a team, and I think he, at over 35lbs last I checked 2 months ago, would probably knock some older kids down if they bumped into him.

During Open House hours all of the children that are in secured programming will be in one room. The opposite of where the open house is taking place.

So there are times when there will definately be huge age differences. It does give families with one or more children in the different age groups (club/lab) to be together.

I think the OP will have to wait and talk to the staff. I think it will depend on a few things. I know I would be annoyed if I couldn't get the hours I wanted in the nursery because someone who's child DCL didn't count on having in there is now taking up spots that should have been mine or other parents with under 4 yr olds. I don't know how full the nursery is but I guess it changes with each cruise.

Just some additional info for those interested: The OC is actually age 3 and up as long as they are potty trained. Those that are 3 and not potty trained would need to be in the nursery.

I was actually worried about her being in the nursery with the babies. She was fine in there but bored. The slide they have in there was smaller than she was.

I am pretty worried about this for my son. He will be 2y 10m when we sail and he is in the 95% for height (34.5 inches, 28lbs at 18 months). So, I anticipate by then he will look like a 4 year old (our cruise is still more than a year away)! He is pretty high energy- never stops moving, refuses to watch TV more than 5 minutes. He is so far a pretty gentle and friendly kid, but just never stops going! But, being a boy, I am not sure if he will be potty trained and I will also have a 17 month old daughter that may do better if she is with him.

But, I also understand from the view of a parent with a young baby. The perception may be that he is 4 and if I had a crawler or new walker, it would make me a little nervous. But, the nature of the beast is, it is basically daycare and he is technically in the right room. If DCL chooses to group 6 week olds with 3 year olds, it's gonna happen. Same with the 3-10/12 year old groupings. If parents are uneasy with it, they might have to choose not to use the clubs.

I think I would be upset if the nursery was full because there were older kids in there so there is no room for my babies. But, I am okay with it if they only take a 4 year old if there is space (so no advance ressies) and call Mom or Dad to come get her if it gets to the point where they would have to turn away a child of the correct age.

I realize you say your opinion can't be changed, but just for your info... My daughter was the same age and weight as your daughter on our last cruise. (she is now 6 1/2 and 39.5 pounds) She did not have any problems in the kids clubs with the older children and would take a nap on mat if she was tired.

Just FYI

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but name calling is inappropriate. A poster posted her opinion and just because it does not agree with the majority does not make it OK to name call....not everyone will agree on a topic. OP called DCL and got the final word from them. End of story. Play nice.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter