38 inches + ....good shoes?

Beth06015

DIS Veteran
I kid, I kid....well seriously, I'm hoping my son hits a growth spurt as he's now bw 38-39 inches barefoot.....would be fantastic if he could squeeze out an inch by September. Any tips for good shoes to give him a boost if we are that close to splash mountain? Will be great if we could all ride together.

I've read several times that if your child is close or just at the height, you should go to the ride early in the day because you are a tiny bit taller early in the day (don't know if that's true).

But I will say to practice with him standing up straight to get measured by the measuring device. My kids always slouched and lowered their head because they didn't want the stick thing touching them, which of course defeats the purpose. :sad2:

We waited until right before our trip to Disneyland to buy my son new sneakers. I did look for some with thicker soles just to be on the safe side. Since this was an unexpected trip to Disneyland (and only trip at this point) I really wanted to make sure he could get on Radiator Springs Racers. He ended up just touching the height stick and was great for the whole trip. Good luck! and hoping for a growth spurt!

My kid always does her growing over the summer, maybe all the fresh air and sunshine helps. When we went to Disneyland we told DD to "Hit your head on the height marker" to ensure she stood straight and tall while being measured.

My kid always does her growing over the summer, maybe all the fresh air and sunshine helps. When we went to Disneyland we told DD to "Hit your head on the height marker" to ensure she stood straight and tall while being measured.
That's a good tip! Thanks!

We waited until right before our trip to Disneyland to buy my son new sneakers. I did look for some with thicker soles just to be on the safe side. Since this was an unexpected trip to Disneyland (and only trip at this point) I really wanted to make sure he could get on Radiator Springs Racers. He ended up just touching the height stick and was great for the whole trip. Good luck! and hoping for a growth spurt!

Same thing here. Just measured DS with his crocs on today and he was just over 39in. Also hoping for a little growth spurt in the next 3 months!

I am in the exact same situation. My twins are exactly 40 inches on our wall at home with their sneakers on, but not with their Keen sandals. We have until September for them to grow enough to make it no matter what. These kids eat a ton, but just won't grow!!! I don't understand at all.

I agree with practicing being measured. They want to slouch, and they don't usually put their feet far back enough, and that can subtract some much-needed height.

I also recommend just measuring ahead of time in the shoes he already has. We found out on accident once that my son's tennis shoes were higher than his sandals. We went the first day in his tennis shoes and measured to see if he was 40", and he was. A few days later in his sandals, he was turned away from a 40" ride. I would have thought by looking at them that the sandals were higher, and I certainly didn't try to pick the tallest shoes or anything. It just turned out that his regular Stride Rite tennies were taller than his sandals (also Stride Rite).

Our DD is just a speck over 40" with her sneakers on. I took a 2x4 and cut it to be over 40" then screwed on a piece horizontal right at the 40" mark for her to practice on. At first she always ducked her head under it so practice definitely helps.

And don't try to fudge it. If they're not tall enough, they're not tall enough. The height restrictions are there for safety reasons, not because they just don't want some little kid to ride.
And the CMs are trained to be strict, erring on the side of caution.

The best advice I can give you is make sure he stands up straight! When we were at WDW in May my son in shoes was exactly 40 inches. Every single 40 inch ride he got measured twice and I had to remind him to stand up straight to make his head hit that bar. The slightest slouch and he woudln't have made it onto any rides. Instead I have ride photos from Dinosaur and Splash and he got to go Soarin' over California for the first time.

And don't try to fudge it. If they're not tall enough, they're not tall enough. The height restrictions are there for safety reasons, not because they just don't want some little kid to ride.

And the CMs are trained to be strict, erring on the side of caution.
No, absolutely would not fake it....just really hoping he grows! My daughter was just shy of space mtn her first visit and was really bummed but after riding that ride I was so thankful she didn't go on! I would have been a wreck since the seating is not side by side! And I trust Disney on this stuff though....not like the state fair that rolls in and puts up a Ferris wheel overnight and then has drunk/hungover traveling employees measuring the kids and operating the rides. With measuring sticks that are not on level ground or consistent from one ride to the next (but is very important once the 2 yo has already been on once!). I digress.

We just got back. My DS2 was about 39" during our Thanksgiving trip. I remember he easily cleared 7DMT (38") but there was a very visible gap for the 40" rides during that trip.

I was pretty worried about it as I have split my FP+ in the past to take full advantage of rider swap with him. This May trip though, I hoped he was 40" so I didn't split the FP and he easily cleared the 40" bar even with slouching. I couldn't believe how much he grew in that short a time. And he loved every single 40" ride, ToT was his favorite and he is still talking about his elevator :tongue:

We just got back. My DS2 was about 39" during our Thanksgiving trip. I remember he easily cleared 7DMT (38") but there was a very visible gap for the 40" rides during that trip.

I was pretty worried about it as I have split my FP+ in the past to take full advantage of rider swap with him. This May trip though, I hoped he was 40" so I didn't split the FP and he easily cleared the 40" bar even with slouching. I couldn't believe how much he grew in that short a time. And he loved every single 40" ride, ToT was his favorite and he is still talking about his elevator :tongue:
That's awesome!! My daughter went last time at 41 inches, 4 years old, and her favorite ride was Tower of Terror too! Not sure my son would be into that but splash mountain and Soarin, etc, would be fun for him for sure!!

My son was right at 40 inches the last trip. I had been having him practice getting measured because he is a shy kid, and does better when he knows what could happen. I also bought some comfy new sneakers that would help him. He was only asked to be measured once, every other time they just let him walk on through. I just wanted my guy to be prepared.

Funny thing happened to us a DL, (well it wasn't so funny at the time.) My son just hit the 40 inch mark. One day it was about 100 degrees and we were doing good at him hitting the mark until that afternoon. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, we passed the first check and then at the second check he didn't pass :( He was so upset! I think because of the heat and dehydration he might have shrunk a bit? I told him that and he just started chugging the water :D In my last two Disney trips I missed BTMR both times! This next trip we will have no height problems and BTMR will be on my must do list!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter