35mm f/2 IS or 35mm 1.4 for dark rides?

countofmc

Mouseketeer
I am a pretty experienced photographer and I use APS-C mirrorless cameras these days. On my next trip to Disneyland, I am thinking of renting a full frame DSLR (Canon 6D) and a prime lens because I want to get some better quality pictures in the dark rides.

I am debating between Canon's 35mm f/2 IS lens or a f/1.4 lens (Canon or Sigma). I feel like on the faster moving rides I need to keep shutter speed up so f/1.4 would be better, but maybe on some of the slower moving ones the IS would come more in handy...

Either will be fine. I've shot dark rides with the 6D using an f/4 lens (just for grins because I was too lazy to change lenses) and actually gotten some decent shots.

If you have a decent noise reduction program, you can shoot up to 25,600 ISO and still have a good result.

The Old Hag by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Hat Box Ghost by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Capturing the Yeti by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Thank you for these. I actually used to own the 6D and forgot how clean even ISO 25,600 can be. That being said, great skill on your part getting the exposure right on these images as well!

Thank you for these. I actually used to own the 6D and forgot how clean even ISO 25,600 can be. That being said, great skill on your part getting the exposure right on these images as well!

Thanks! You'll have a ball shooting dark rides with the 6D. That high ISO is so great, it almost feels like cheating. ;)

When is a faster shutter speed not a good idea?

One item that came up on another "Dark Ride" thread: on certain rides where video projections is used (notably Frozen Ever After and 7 Dwarves Mine) a shutter speed faster than 1/60 is likely to make the faces come out with odd colors or incomplete details. It seems the projection runs at 60 frames/second although we need more data to sort out the best way to photograph these.

I am a pretty experienced photographer and I use APS-C mirrorless cameras these days. On my next trip to Disneyland, I am thinking of renting a full frame DSLR (Canon 6D) and a prime lens because I want to get some better quality pictures in the dark rides.

I am debating between Canon's 35mm f/2 IS lens or a f/1.4 lens (Canon or Sigma). I feel like on the faster moving rides I need to keep shutter speed up so f/1.4 would be better, but maybe on some of the slower moving ones the IS would come more in handy...

either should work fine with a full frame, I'd go with the cheaper lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I'm with mom2rtk. I've gotten lazy and push the ISO up rather than grab a faster lens for my 6D. Pretty much any lens faster than f/4 on a 6D will be able to get what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter