Wait Listing a Resort

Have you used the waitlist capability, and how successful have you been?

• I’ve never tried to waitlist

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I’ve had generally poor success with waitlists

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I’ve had generally good success with waitlists

Votes: 35 57.4%

• Total voters

DVC Mike

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Wait Listing a Resort

http://i235.*************************************UsingDVC/WaitList.png

When using the online booking tool on DVCMember.com, and you search for the resort you want and specify your desired dates, room type and the number in your party, there may be no availability. However, there is an option to choose "Wait List This Entire Stay." This places you on the waitlist.

Once you do have a waitlist, you can use the Waitlist Manager feature on DVCMember.com to check the status of a waitlist request, modify its expiration date or cancel it.

If your wait listed resort becomes available, your wait list request will be confirmed automatically and a confirmation will be sent to you. In the past, the internal process used by DVCMC to check cancellations against the waitlist was very manual and didn't run immediately, so people calling MS might pickup a room due to a cancellation before someone on the waitlist could. Over time, the process occurred more frequently than before, with anecdotal evidence suggesting a higher rate of success in waitlisting than before. Recently, it has been reported that the waitlist is now checked in real-time; that is, when a reservation is cancelled, the waitlist is immediately checked to see if there are any matches.

http://i235.*************************************UsingDVC/wait-list1.png​

There is no guarantee, of course, that your wait list request will become available.

The odds of your waitlist being confirmed depends on many things – such as:
  • the resort
  • the room type
  • the number of nights you are wait listing
  • how far in advance you waitlist

A reminder of some of the rules surrounding waitlisting:

http://i235.*************************************UsingDVC/WaitListRules.png​

Have you used the waitlist capability, and how successful have you been?

http://i235.*************************************Misc/RelatedThreads.png

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

I have had the wait list work for me way more times than not. And that is over 2 decades of membership. But folks, if you are wait listing for something there are only, say 6 of, and/or it's a very popular/high demand time, your odds go WAY down. I tend to plan ahead because I want what I want WHEN I want. And if I can't get it, I book something that will at least suffice and get on the W/L for what I really want. Since my wait lists are generally in place for a few to several months, I've had great luck.

Hi Mike! I have a question. We already have an existing reservation at BCV. If I want to waitlist that reservation for another resort, can I do that online, or is the only way a phone call to MS. Thanks!

I've only gotten a waitlist once. I've waitlisted at least 15 times.

Hi Mike! I have a question. We already have an existing reservation at BCV. If I want to waitlist that reservation for another resort, can I do that online, or is the only way a phone call to MS. Thanks!

You can add a wait list online.

I have a wait list question - I currently have a 1br @ AKV booked to bridge a 1 day gap but have been stalking a 1br at either the resort we are coming from (BWV 1br pool/preferred) or going to (VGF 1br standard.) I am considering setting up a waitlist for that 1 night - my question is will the points from the 1br I already have booked @ AKV for that night automatically be applied to the new place if the waitlist gets filled?

Yes, never say never on the waitlist, might as well try! I just had a VGF studio come through on the waitlist for a Friday F&W night, which I never thought would come through. And for the pp, yes they did automagically replace the night that I had booked at BLT for that night with the VGF night. Just poof! Like the BLT ressie had never been there and the night was added to the end of my current VGF ressie showing as all one ressie. Difference in points replaced and everything, I was impressed. I think you do have to check a checkbox on the waitlist form though to give them permission to replace another ressie for the same night though.

We waitlisted our first stay next month - one night in the middle of our trip - 1BR standard view at BWV and the WL came through in less than a week. Until that point, I was booked 3 nights at BWV, 1 night SSR, and 2 nights at BWV again. An absolute risk on our part which paid off. I also had the full week waitlisted at BCV (studio) which obviously did not come through. The night that was waitlisted was a Saturday as well so I expected it to come closer to our 30 day mark before it came through but I was pleasantly surprised. Given similar situations in the future, I'd probably do the same thing again!

We have a night waitlisted that will need 2 points borrowed. Did I check some box authorizing DVC to take from the next year? I don't remember! I hope so!

I have a wait list question - I currently have a 1br @ AKV booked to bridge a 1 day gap but have been stalking a 1br at either the resort we are coming from (BWV 1br pool/preferred) or going to (VGF 1br standard.) I am considering setting up a waitlist for that 1 night - my question is will the points from the 1br I already have booked @ AKV for that night automatically be applied to the new place if the waitlist gets filled?
If you set up the waitlist online (which I would do, because you will then know that your replacement request is recorded exactly right) you can set it to replace the AKV night. You can have two WL requests active, so you can set up one to match each of your existing ends of the trip. A warning, though: Once one of them comes through, go back in and cancel the other waitlist request, because if it is filled later, it could act unpredictably if it can no longer find the reservation you told it to replace.

We have a night waitlisted that will need 2 points borrowed. Did I check some box authorizing DVC to take from the next year? I don't remember! I hope so!
Call MS. The CM should be able to tell you if you authorized borrowing. If you didn't, the CM should be able to "fix" it for you. :)

If you didn't authorize borrowing and the waitlist comes through, they'll just cancel your waitlist and move on. :(

I'm at work, skimming as fast as I can, can you modify the dates on a wait list? I'm waitlisted for a week at GF and Poly, I know my chances are slim of getting a full week, was going to change it to half of our stay.

If you do, does it put you at the end of the wait list line?

Call MS. The CM should be able to tell you if you authorized borrowing. If you didn't, the CM should be able to "fix" it for you. :)

If you didn't authorize borrowing and the waitlist comes through, they'll just cancel your waitlist and move on. :(

I just set up a waitlist and authorized it to borrow points. In rethinking this, I would rather buy than borrow (it is only 16 points). Is there a way to set this up on a waitlist to let them buy the points for me? Or is it borrow or nothing? Should I cancel my waitlist and stalk? or just deal with it? I am kicking myself as it was available yesterday but I wanted to talk to my husband about switching our plans, and since I had to borrow or buy - I didn't want to get stuck with points I couldn't use in that use year.

I just set up a waitlist and authorized it to borrow points. In rethinking this, I would rather buy than borrow (it is only 16 points). Is there a way to set this up on a waitlist to let them buy the points for me? Or is it borrow or nothing? Should I cancel my waitlist and stalk? or just deal with it? I am kicking myself as it was available yesterday but I wanted to talk to my husband about switching our plans, and since I had to borrow or buy - I didn't want to get stuck with points I couldn't use in that use year.

No, sorry. You can't use one-time-use-points as an option on a waitlist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter