3 Teens in Tokyo! A PTR

Yes, I am very happy, although lost a little on the conversion 500,000 ¥ cost me $5312 - close enough to one for one, or one ¥ =1cent.

I hope that is enough!

Oh, one more thing, it was always my concern about the children missing school, especially DD, as she is in final year.

We are leaving Wednesday evening, which means two days before end of term. I knew this may clash with exam week, and it does, but DD received her exam timetable today and she only has one exam on the Thursday and nothing scheduled for Friday.

There should be no problem doing the Thursday one early, so she will have all exams done with and be able to relax on her holiday!!

That's good. Its always a bit stressful waiting to find out if there's an issue and she can go off and have fun! Great news on the yen front too-think we paid $1.20 per Y100 when we went this time last year. What's the cherry blossom predictions like or is it still a bit early for them to be posted yet?

Next on the list is to organise Internet - we have 4 smart phones (poor DH has a work provided brick) - I had thought of getting visitor sims for each of them, so that we can split up and still contact each other, but think I will go for a portable wifi instead, with one sim in case we want to split up, we are unlikely to split five ways, unless someone gets lost, we will just go old school wtih this and arrange a meeting place.

Pretty sure I will go with econnect for this..

What about getting two portable wi-fis and using an app like LINE? Then you can use internet and still be able to call each other if the group separates. Starbucks also has free wi-fi, you just need to sign up for it and instructions are available in English. My SIL is in Europe now and has been using LINE to call us in Japan and it has been a real life saver for her.

We have an app called "viber" which will let us message and VoIP using wifi. I went for the portable wifi for better strength of signal and unlimited data. We have one, visitor sim.
I don't think we will need to use it too much, but travelling with three teenagers, they may well whither if I cut them completely from their friends.

Aussie Wendy said:
That's good. Its always a bit stressful waiting to find out if there's an issue and she can go off and have fun! Great news on the yen front too-think we paid $1.20 per Y100 when we went this time last year. What's the cherry blossom predictions like or is it still a bit early for them to be posted yet?

Yes I am so happy about the exchange, and glad I already changed money as I have had car dramas this week which took $1000 to fix - I would have skimmed off my spending money if I hadn't already converted it all.

We decided to take all of our spending money as cash, we will pay for the sheraton and our Disney tickets on card. We generally use cash at home and I didn't want the bother of worrying a out finding ATMs that will take our cards. It is a lot more money than we are used to carrying with us, which makes me uneasy.
If it runs out, then we have credit but we will be over our holiday budget :( ... As I said to DH - we have jobs, we can pay it back!!

Instead of Viber, check out What App instead. I think more people are signing up to What App instead of Viber.

So my family is driving me nuts - all I want them to do is pull out their jeans and see if they fit .... But apparently that is too much of a chore.

10days to go!!

DS has been sick - he came home from school camp on Wednesday and has been up and down ever since. Will take him to the Dr tomorrow if there is no improvement. I think he has an ear infection as well.

glad to report I bought him a new pair of jeans yesterday. He wasn't with me, but they fit and he is wearing them today! I was really stressing about this, ...first world problems... I know!

My other DS is off camping this weekend with a friend and his family, lets hope he comes back in one piece and no lurgies!

DD is preparing for half yearly exams which will be all done by the time we go. I thought this would give her a break from studies while we were away, but her school is offering several study days during the holidays which she is worried about missing. She has told me that there may be days or evenings where she will have to stay in and do schoolwork. She will have Internet and a laptop and is old enough to be left on her own.
Our return flight arrives in sydney at 7:00am and she is planning to attend school this day. So I am happy that she is finally starting to take school seriously, but am sorry that I am adding to her stress by taking this trip.

Suitcases are out, I have an assortment of packing cubes ready to go.

It's raining in Tokyo this week, which gives me hope that it will have passed and will be clear skies by the tenth! :)

yay for the jeans. sorry DS isn't feeling well.

Hope you get your packing done in time for SUNNY Japan.
Are you following the cherry blossom 'bloom' trail?

There is one other problem that has me slightly concerned and I am not wanting to mention "out loud" but I have been noticing on the news there is lots of talk a out North Korea threatening strikes against the US - and their bases in Hawaii Okinawa and Guam.

as I said I am concerned and have checked department of foreign affairs, there is no advice against travelling - so I should just stop watching the news I guess.

There is one other problem that has me slightly concerned and I am not wanting to mention "out loud" but I have been noticing on the news there is lots of talk a out North Korea threatening strikes against the US - and their bases in Hawaii Okinawa and Guam.

as I said I am concerned and have checked department of foreign affairs, there is no advice against travelling - so I should just stop watching the news I guess.

dH mentioned this last night as a concern about our upcoming trip I figure were going to treat this the same we did about going to NYC and the threats what will be will be we can't change it but just have to trust we will be ok unless of course the Aus govt suddenly advices us not to travel to those countries.
Understand your worry though :hug:

I guess I should be no more worried than any other travellers -it just seems so close, but Japan is not their target, apparently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter