3 kids - need stroller advice

JenQ

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first trip this fall. It will be me and my husband with an 8 yr old, 5 yr old and 4 month old. Obviously we need at least one stroller for the infant and I will have a carrier to baby wear as well but I recognize that my other two may need a stroller at times -- especially my 5 yr old. I am trying to figure out how this will work. I can bring one (or two) from home? Rent? I am just not sure the best way to handle. Baby is due this month and wrapping my head around being out numbered by the kiddos is hard!

any advice?

Last edited:
Do you already own a second stroller? If so, I'd go that route just because it's cheaper. A lot of parents on here seem to like the idea of two single strollers, claiming better maneuvering around the parks than with a double. Beware though, the baby may not like to be in a carrier. My first child loved to be worn especially in a maya wrap and we went well past a year baby wearing. My second only tolerated it for the first few months, even after going out and buying an ergo carrier, she still wouldn't have any parts of it after that.

So my advice would be take your own if you want to save money, rent a double if you don't mind spending money, and either way have a plan that includes baby being in the stroller all/most of the time just in case they don't like the carrier or it's too hot to wear them. Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:
We just got back last week from a trip with my 6.5 year old, 4.5 year old and 10 month old. We flew and didn't need a stroller for the airport so we rented a double stroller and couldn't have been more pleased. I also do a lot of baby wearing so took the carrier for the little guy. It worked out great. If my big girl needed the stroller (which was especially true at the end of the night) I just wore the baby and my husband pushed the two big girls. We didn't find a double to be hard to navigate (and we were there over Memorial Day). I preferred the double over two singles because there were times my husband would ride rides with the oldest and I'd take the two littles off for a snack (or something like that). One stroller was easier than two for that reason. And I also wouldn't have wanted to deal with loading and unloading two strollers from transportation.

We just got back last week from a trip with my 6.5 year old, 4.5 year old and 10 month old. We flew and didn't need a stroller for the airport so we rented a double stroller and couldn't have been more pleased. I also do a lot of baby wearing so took the carrier for the little guy. It worked out great. If my big girl needed the stroller (which was especially true at the end of the night) I just wore the baby and my husband pushed the two big girls. We didn't find a double to be hard to navigate (and we were there over Memorial Day). I preferred the double over two singles because there were times my husband would ride rides with the oldest and I'd take the two littles off for a snack (or something like that). One stroller was easier than two for that reason. And I also wouldn't have wanted to deal with loading and unloading two strollers from transportation.

I agree. We always take a double but that didn't seem to be the consensus on this forum. Seems much easier, doesn't it?

I didn't know most people recommend two singles. At first thought, i like the idea of a double so that my husband can do the folding. I have an Ergo but am thinking of getting a Lillebaby or something more breathable because I find the Ergo too hot. hopefully baby likes it. My first two didn't mind it.

I didn't know most people recommend two singles. At first thought, i like the idea of a double so that my husband can do the folding. I have an Ergo but am thinking of getting a Lillebaby or something more breathable because I find the Ergo too hot. hopefully baby likes it. My first two didn't mind it.

I didn't understand it either. :confused3 Lol, I've seen it often on threads that mention strollers. We've always had a rental car and dad unloads the baggage then folds and loads the double stroller into the trunk while mom straps the kids in their car seats. Always worked for us. I couldn't imagine two strollers plus kids on the parking lot trams either.

I would rent a stroller from one of the rental companies and wear the baby through the airport. We've been twice with three kids and will be taking our second trip since having our fourth this year and I absolutely can't imagine trying to deal with two strollers. The thoughts of two strollers and three kids on busses, trams, etc. make me cringe. We've always used a sit and stand (which we bought solely to use in Disney - it has paid for itself many times over), so that the bigger kids could swap off as they needed breaks, but it sounds like your baby will be too little for that. Good luck and congratulations!!

With children those ages, my family would just have a single stroller and a baby carrier. If you feel you need two stroller seats, then I'd definitely do a double stroller. If your oldest wants to ride something your middle child can't or won't ride, you'll be left with 2 strollers, and that won't work. A double is much easier.

I'd get a single with a step on the back, so either older kid can hop on for a break when needed ;)

I always rent from an outside company because the City Mini strollers fold so flat for the buses. If it were my kids, I'd rent a double stroller and let the older two take turns in it (my 5yo lived in the stroller at WDW). If you don't think the older ones will use it much but still need one some, I'd rent two singles (or stick with single and baby carrier). Push the baby 100% of the time and park the other stroller at a central area within the park so you can come back for it when one of the older kids gets tired (or put baby in carrier when older one needs the stroller). Not many companies offer the boogie board rental for the back of the stroller, so unless you have one of those accessories already it could be hard to use that option.

We loved having a double.

If you plan on using the buses on property, just remember you'll have to collapse and carry on while the other parent finagles the kids. We found it was way easier to just have 1 parent collapse & carry the stroller, so that there was still a hand free to help with wrangling kids.

I would plan on baby wearing most of the time and having a single for the older children to swap off and on. Then when the baby (or carrier) needs a break that stroller is for the baby. Then when dealing with the buses mom has all children in sight and dad handles the stroller. We also have a sit n stand and I love it, it is just big to be lugging around (the Titanic my DH calls it). But once in the parks I love it ,even can snap an infant seat into if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter