3 Generations! 2 Resorts! 10 Days! DxDp! 3000 Pictures! - Saying Good-Bye!

The good thing about that is if you get a discounted room, you can get the DP to go with it and save $... but it really only works if you are going to use the passes enough to pay for them...

We thought the food at the Medow Swimming pool was really good. A hotdog topped with lots of pulled pork barbecue...an unusual combination, but delicious. The children had the usual, individual pizzas.

For the record, we bought the smores kits at the Chuck Wagon Snack Bar; they did not have the kits at the Medow Trading Post. :yay::cool2:

you CAN add the DP to a room only ressie, but you have to be an annual passholder or a DVC member to do it...
Or... book using the military room-only discount. They always offer the DDP to us as an add-on, but since we have TIW, we personally prefer getting the 20% off the table service bills instead. That way we get only the food we want, and not all those desserts and no appetizers. (Slight rant: I never liked it when they removed the apps. and the tip from the plan.)

Of course, with the DxDP you do get the apps. We've never done the DxDP. When our APs expire and we don't have TIW, I would consider the DxDP, but I feel like those tips would really start to add up:confused3 and "paying" for desserts we don't want sort of bothers me.

We thought the food at the Medow Swimming pool was really good. A hotdog topped with lots of pulled pork barbecue...an unusual combination, but delicious. The children had the usual, individual pizzas.

For the record, we bought the smores kits at the Chuck Wagon Snack Bar; they did not have the kits at the Medow Trading Post. :yay::cool2:
That does sound really yummy:thumbsup2

Thanks for the correction, Pop;) Going by what Stephen said...he's not being much help with my TR:rotfl:

What a fun day! Giving each kid two hours to choose an activity was a great idea! And I'm impressed at how agreeable they all were when it wasn't their turn! :thumbsup2

That decorated RV is something else! I think it's almost a whole other Disney sub-culture out there. Very cool!

you CAN add the DP to a room only ressie, but you have to be an annual passholder or a DVC member to do it...

The good thing about that is if you get a discounted room, you can get the DP to go with it and save $... but it really only works if you are going to use the passes enough to pay for them...

Thanks for the info!:thumbsup2 We have NEITHER:mad: Not sure why we didn't get an AP last year...we went to WDW 3 times in a year's span...actually we weren't expecting to go that much...just kinda happened. We thought about buying them again this time, BUT we won't be going back until February for Princess Half...probably won't be in the parks that much, and then we will be going on the Dream next June. I'm suspecting that in 2012 we will get APs...the new Fantasy Land will be opening!!!:yay:

Or... book using the military room-only discount. They always offer the DDP to us as an add-on, but since we have TIW, we personally prefer getting the 20% off the table service bills instead. That way we get only the food we want, and not all those desserts and no appetizers. (Slight rant: I never liked it when they removed the apps. and the tip from the plan.)

Of course, with the DxDP you do get the apps. We've never done the DxDP. When our APs expire and we don't have TIW, I would consider the DxDP, but I feel like those tips would really start to add up:confused3 and "paying" for desserts we don't want sort of bothers me.

Believe it or not, we don't always get apps and dessert but still seem to come out ahead. Last year I kept every receipt...had everything down to the penny! I wanted to make sure the deluxe was worth it for us....and it was. If I remember correctly, we came out around $600 ahead of the game. I think one reason we fare so well is because we do lots of signatures. And honestly, one of the main reasons we do it is for convenience;) I like to have everything paid for before we go. However...you are right! Tips add up!! We have to budget that in before time, too, so we know how much cash to take. The DxDP isn't for everyone that's for sure because it does cut into park time. In fact, I have some family members that I would NEVER recommend it to simply because they are more 'fly by the seat of your pants' type people...wouldn't work for them. Enough about that!:rotfl: didn't mean to get on my band wagon about the DxDP...can ya tell I :lovestruc to eat at WDW??!!

Excellent TR so far! We stayed at FW a couple of years ago and I think has been our favorite resort overall so far, so you are inspiring us to go back some day!

What a fun day! Giving each kid two hours to choose an activity was a great idea! And I'm impressed at how agreeable they all were when it wasn't their turn! :thumbsup2

That decorated RV is something else! I think it's almost a whole other Disney sub-culture out there. Very cool!

I think you're right! There are people there that camp for weeks at the time...their golf carts are even decorated! If I had money to throw around, it would be fun to buy an RV and camp...especially at Halloween or Christmas. I'm sure it becomes addictive...kinda like the DisBoards:rotfl:

Excellent TR so far! We stayed at FW a couple of years ago and I think has been our favorite resort overall so far, so you are inspiring us to go back some day!

Thanks! Glad to be an inspiration;) I see yall are going on a Disney cruise...which one? We will be doing our first Disney cruise next June...can hardly wait!!!

Thank you so much for your report!!! We are staying at the cabins in October. We plan on spending some time at the resort, so this report is just what I needed to see :cloud9: We will definitely get a golf cart, I know my kids will love it!

Thank you so much for your report!!! We are staying at the cabins in October. We plan on spending some time at the resort, so this report is just what I needed to see :cloud9: We will definitely get a golf cart, I know my kids will love it!

You're welcome! I really enjoyed doing the TR last year, so figured I would try again...and it makes it super easy when you're passionate about Disney! ;) My theory...if you pay good money to stay at a nice resort, you might as well take time to enjoy it, right?! Each WDW resort has so much to offer...sometimes you just have look. And FW probably has the MOST activities for families....come on, now...700 acres:laughing: Gotta be something there for everyone!

Have y'all ever done the HDDR or MBYBBQ? I see you have 3 younger girls...it might be something they would enjoy...and better yet...it's at FW...you don't have to leave the resort. :dance3: I willl have reviews on those 2 events later in my TR.

Happy Planning...and by the way...October will be an excellent time to go!!! And the golf cart will be perfect for cruising around the RVs and campsites looking at all the crazy Halloween decorations....these people go all out, let me tell ya!!! Fun, fun, fun!!!

Great report so far!!! I can't wait to read more!
Next time you go you should do the DVC tour! We did it last time and enjoyed it! The guy was actually a GSU alum! I'll have to get you his name. We still have all of our information and would really love to do that one day!
We left there with Gift cards and free ice cream too! :cheer2:

I have really enjoyed your TR thus far. Thanks! I'm anxious to see what you thought of Mickey's Backyard BBQ as that tends to get mixed reviews but it's still something I think my son will enjoy.

You're welcome! I really enjoyed doing the TR last year, so figured I would try again...and it makes it super easy when you're passionate about Disney! ;) My theory...if you pay good money to stay at a nice resort, you might as well take time to enjoy it, right?! Each WDW resort has so much to offer...sometimes you just have look. And FW probably has the MOST activities for families....come on, now...700 acres:laughing: Gotta be something there for everyone!

Have y'all ever done the HDDR or MBYBBQ? I see you have 3 younger girls...it might be something they would enjoy...and better yet...it's at FW...you don't have to leave the resort. :dance3: I willl have reviews on those 2 events later in my TR.

Happy Planning...and by the way...October will be an excellent time to go!!! And the golf cart will be perfect for cruising around the RVs and campsites looking at all the crazy Halloween decorations....these people go all out, let me tell ya!!! Fun, fun, fun!!!

I did HDDR when I was 11 and haven't been back since, but I loved it! We aren't doing either this trip, but if we really love the resort (like I think we will), then I bet we will give them a try on another visit.

When I first mentioned staying at the cabins, my husband looked at me like I was crazy. He thought I meant camping in a tent (which he would love btw, just not with 3 girlie girls :scared1:) But once I showed him the pics and he realized he could park the car IN FRONT OF the cabin he was sold!!

I am really looking forward to doing the Chip & Dale sing-a-long and marshmallow roast! And swimming in the pool! I was so excited to see your pics of the pool, b/c it's hard to tell exactly what they had there from the disney and allears pics.

Great report so far!!! I can't wait to read more!
Next time you go you should do the DVC tour! We did it last time and enjoyed it! The guy was actually a GSU alum! I'll have to get you his name. We still have all of our information and would really love to do that one day!
We left there with Gift cards and free ice cream too! :cheer2:

DVC was offering $200 gift cards...we're crazy for not finding the time to do it...but I'm also a little leery of being sucked into that deal! We've considered it, but still not quite sold on it. Who knows?!

I have really enjoyed your TR thus far. Thanks! I'm anxious to see what you thought of Mickey's Backyard BBQ as that tends to get mixed reviews but it's still something I think my son will enjoy.

You're right about MBYBBQ getting mixed reviews...I've read them all, too. I was a bit nervous, but it was fun...I can totally see why some people might not like it...was a little chaotic, but in a fun kinda way. I have plenty of pictures for the review;)

I did HDDR when I was 11 and haven't been back since, but I loved it! We aren't doing either this trip, but if we really love the resort (like I think we will), then I bet we will give them a try on another visit.

When I first mentioned staying at the cabins, my husband looked at me like I was crazy. He thought I meant camping in a tent (which he would love btw, just not with 3 girlie girls :scared1:) But once I showed him the pics and he realized he could park the car IN FRONT OF the cabin he was sold!!

I am really looking forward to doing the Chip & Dale sing-a-long and marshmallow roast! And swimming in the pool! I was so excited to see your pics of the pool, b/c it's hard to tell exactly what they had there from the disney and allears pics.

And yes, another :thumbsup2 for FW...you can park directly in front of the cabin!! It says one car only, but there were many cabins with 2 cars parked out front...really only room for 1 vehicle and a golf cart.

Your girls will have such a great time...especially with Chip n Dale...just get there early;)

Fort Wilderness Campgrounds Part 2
Trails End Restaurant

After a great morning and afternoon with the grandchildren, the crew headed back to Cabin 2209. The grandparents needed a quick break before heading back out for dinner. Much to their surprise, the cabin was back in working order and Mouse Keeping added a few of their special touches!

The dish rags in the kitchen were so cute...and Woody was all tucked in bed with a swan on the end keeping watch. Don't ya just love Disney??!!
DSC02214.jpg
IMG_5308.jpg

One of the great aspects of FW cabins is the size, or should I say the 2 separate rooms?! The kids could go to the bedroom and watch TV, while the adults relaxed in the den area...very nice!

After a much needed rest, it was time to head to dinner. Along the way, they stopped at the Trading Post to look at Pins for Stephen...he wanted to start one of those pin trading deals. And true to Disney fashion...Mickey is dressed the part for Fort Wilderness!

DSC02199.jpg

DS9 (Stephen) loves nature...so he's always wanting to snap shots of ANY animal, big or small...here are some of the shots along the way while walking and riding...

Not sure how they spotted this little guy!?
IMG_5250.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg
IMG_5255.jpg

IMG_5297.jpg

Another plus for FW...the wildlife...it's everywhere...but guess that means there are snakes, also, lurking somewhere:eek: And the reason I say snakes...well...take a look at this...it's swamp land! Well, not 'true' swamp, but it does appear that water stands here with the cypress trees when it's really wet. We didn't see any slithery friends, though.
IMG_5249.jpg

Off to dinner at.....

DSC02217.jpg

When they arrived, the hostess did not have their 6:30 reservation number listed:scared1:...however it was no big deal...they were seated anyway. Not sure what happened???

Faith eats like a little bird...we're not quite sure how she continues to grow!
DSC02225.jpg
DSC02222.jpg

(the following was copied from allears.net)

DINNER
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 10 p.m.

Guests ages 10 and over: $22.99; Child (3-9): $12.99
Soup and Salad Bar Only Available

All-You-Can-Eat Buffet includes:
Soup of the day
Chili
Salad Bar
Peel-and-eat shrimp
Smoked Pork Ribs
Fried Chicken
Pasta
Pizza
Selection of Vegetables
Hand-Carved Roasted Meats
Fresh Catch of the day
Housemade Fruit Cobbler Non-alcoholic beverage included
Full service bar also available.

Stephen said the ribs were OUTSTANDING!!!!
DSC02221.jpg

Everyone really, really enjoyed the food. Actually, it was a pleasant surprise...they said it is one of the better buffets at WDW...and reasonably priced...for WDW, that is!;) Would not hesitate to eat here again!!!:thumbsup2

After dinner, the kids wanted to return to the Chip n Dale Sing-along! They didn't get enough the night before;) Of course, they were a little early! Jesse was able to get autographs tonight (Ma Hopie bought him his very own book)

DSC02229.jpg
DSC02228.jpg

They had plenty of the Smores kit left over, so they did that again, too! Who can really resist a good smores????!!!

IMG_5311.jpg
IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

We thought about buying all the stuff to make smores before we arrived...thank goodness we didn't!!! It was too convenient to just buy it there...the perfect amount for 3 kids, for 2 nights!

IMG_5317.jpg

DSC02227.jpg

After stuffing their faces with smores...it was time for the Sing-along...BUT...it started raining, so the crew left. Honestly, I think they were tired and secretly :rolleyes1 ready to go back and relax in the cabin. The next day is going to be long!!! Check in at the Contemporary then hit Epcot full force!

Stay tuned...up next... Early Morning pictures of FW and a review of the campground!

I love the picture of the little critters, my son always notices those, probably because we don't see many reptilian life in Northwestern PA. We had a little lizard hanging around every morning on the way to the buses, we named him BOB and we still talk about that crazy little lizard :)

Did DS take the photos of the critters? I enjoyed all of them, especially finally getting a peek inside the cabin;). Who got the Murphy bed? Is the crew excited to be going on to the CR or will they miss FTW and the golf cart? Stay tuned...

I love the picture of the little critters, my son always notices those, probably because we don't see many reptilian life in Northwestern PA. We had a little lizard hanging around every morning on the way to the buses, we named him BOB and we still talk about that crazy little lizard :)

:laughing:We have enough reptiles and bugs in South GA and Florida for the entire USA!!:eek: I envy y'all! I'm constantly telling my kids when they're outside..."watch for snakes!"..."don't touch them!" (we live in the country). And in all seriousness, I'm very surprised that you don't hear more about snake sightings at FW or gator visits...they are there, ya know?!:rotfl:....hiding!

Did DS take the photos of the critters? I enjoyed all of them, especially finally getting a peek inside the cabin;). Who got the Murphy bed? Is the crew excited to be going on to the CR or will they miss FTW and the golf cart? Stay tuned...

Stephen and my dad took many of the animal pictures...not sure who did which one?? Stephen SAYS that he did, but I have my doubts;) My parents slept on the murphy bed, and said that it was actually very comfortable:confused:...I wouldn't have thought so, but they say :thumbsup2. In my next post I'll have more inside and outside pictures of the cabin with my thoughts about the entire FW experience!...and for the most part...good thoughts;)...a fewwww negatives...but still it's a great place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter