1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

3 Families doin' a Surf & Turf Trip! AKL CL & Dream...Good-Byes

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by hstrickland, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

My mom lives there, so we go visit her first, before heading up to Orlando.
    Yes, we're getting very excited, and your CL TR is really getting us ready and upping the excitement level. We know we're going to love AKL CL :goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. WDWaddictt

WDWaddictt DIS Veteran

Subscribed...I am going to the AKL in six months for the first time, I like hearing your take on it and the restaurant reviews.

4. hstrickland

hstrickland Way Down South...

That's AWESOME!!! You've got to be perfectly satisfied now. Those are two great resorts, and you haven't done BLT before, right? I'm so partial to the MK resorts....something about seeing Cinderalla Castle every morning gets to me. I would love to do a BWV/BLT split:thumbsup2 So glad you finally grabbed a villa that you're happy with.....or at least for now...or until you get the itching to change again :rolleyes1

:scared1: :worship: I'm exhausted thinking about that!!!

They are pretty fantastic! Both stay very active so that keeps them young. And I was just thinking....if you have 5 kids and let's just say that that each of them has 3 kids....holy cow...you could have 15 grandkids!!!!!! Can you imagine taking the WHOLE family??!! :laughing:

Did you just really ask that??!! What will you do???!!! :scratchin I'm just gonna take a wild guess....just a shot in the dark....more DisBoard time....more trip planning/changing:confused3

:rotfl:

No picture of the know-it-all....and it's a blessing we weren't leaving for the cruise on Saturday!!

Thank you soooo much for all the info on David's!!! That sounds easy enough.

JMO (so take it for what it's worth;))...I would go for Kona, Sanaa, or Jiko. Dining reviews are so subjective....everyone has such different tastes, ya know. What I love, you might hate.

Hmmmmm......let me think about this........I'm guessing the only way I'll fly to NY for a cruise is if it's transatlantic. I might have to sit out on your NY/Bahamas cruise.

For sure!!!!!!!!! No way you can't....plain and simple.

Hi there!!! You're in for a treat at AKL, no doubt about it. No negatives about the Lodge from me....or not many ;)

5. DisneyDoc5

DisneyDoc5 Making memories...

Oh my Heather and Stephanie - I was praying hard for you all that day and bugging Heather for updates - I won't ruin the outcome, but WOOOO, that was a nail biter!!!

Love the pics of Jiko, yummy! I also love ponchos, and even though I look like a dork, I wear mine on Splash Moutain (and of course Kali) - I don't like being wet!

So excited for the next installment:banana::banana::banana::banana:
    Erin

6. WDWKOOK

WDWKOOK NOW WITH LESS TAG!

That's right, we've never stayed in a villa so BLT will be our first. DD is thrilled to have her own bathroom and not be doing CL so she can "eat out of the lounge more." And, DH is slightly apprehensive because there isn't CL. This should be interesting.

Just throwing my booking .02 cents in here. I've never rented points so I can't comment at all about that process, however, just make sure you compare it with any public discount, BB, etc... that might be available (we used 40% off BLT). And, if you do get APs, you can add the DDP to any room only booking that you might have made with an AP discount.

How is everyone adjusting to the new school year? I hope it's been a smooth transition for you and your sweeties.

7. chattadisser

chattadisser Mouseketeer

I can't believe that I've gotten so far behind! I can't reply at home right now as Addie trys to read over my shoulder and I'm afraid she will see the ticker. Sometimes the ability to read is a bad thing!:lmao:

Yeah Jiko! Sorry you didn't have a better waiter. Aren't those cookie/brownie things that come with the check awesome?! I think they could just make those a dessert, just a little something but not too much. I agree that you could make a meal out of the appetizer's there.

Sorry to hear about Stephanie's cancelled flight...I would have started driving too! Nothing stands between me and my Disney vacation..not even a tropical storm! We are all glad to know that it works out!

We tried to do the Kitchen Sink on this last trip but the wait was TERRIBLE! Should have gotten there earlier. Stephen was super disappointed. Can you make ressies there? Hope yall can do it! That would be an awesome bday surprise!

Beaches and Cream doesn't take ressies but we are thinking that if we go earlier in the afternoon...kinda between lunch and dinner that it may work. The plan is to hit HS afterwords and maybe make it to Fantasmic that night. Of course, we may suggest this and she may want to do something else, you know 6 year old girls.:confused3

I may attempt to make the Disney ears for Addie's AG doll, depends on how much time I have in the next week. Thanks to AvasMommy for the info on renting points. I think that may be the way to go next time.

Christine

8. Yellowbellow

Yellowbellow Pirate Veteran

I was wondering how low it will take Heather to complete this TR - :confused3 It has beeen about 1 month and she has reported on 3 days - so 6 more days will be another 2 months if all is equal - BUT School is back in :sad2: Stephen has Karate pirate: Faith cheering :cheer2: and Jesse :scratchin - Heather working and :teacher: in school :coffee: and driving carpool :drive: and Bill giving her encouragement. :mic: I figure another 4 months - complete by Thanksgiving :sad2: :thumbsup2
    Any other opinions? :idea:
    Pop - aka Yellowbellow pirate:

9. DisneyDoc5

We will all wait patiently for her:hourglass, it's worth it! Go Heather!:cheer2:

10. pas130

pas130 Always missing Florida....

The last 7 years are kind of a blur ;)

That would be a dream come true...a second mortgage on the house...but a dream come true :flower3: I always feel for my DH's gramma atthe holidays...13 great grandbabies...and she doesn't leave anyone out :goodvibes

Definitely...that's what DH is scared of :rotfl:
    But then you do have to factor in Halloween, the holiday preparations.....:teacher: NYE....she can catch up during winter break!!!!

:thumbsup2 She is absolutely worth it :grouphug: But we must tease her in the meantime...it will keep her smiling :goodvibes

11. jennyjinx3

jennyjinx3 DIS Veteran

12. hstrickland

You do WHAT!!??? A poncho on Splash Mountain??! That's against Disney etiquette!!! Stop the madness.

You're absolutely right...if I could get 40% off, renting points wouldn't be the best deal. From what I can figure, it's between 30-35% off. The problem is, I haven't seen 40% since 2010 when we got that at the Poly.

Not bad...can't complain at all! Tomorrow is the first day and here I am up at 11pm!!! My kids are actually excited, especially Faith. I'm a little sad since Jesse is officially in school. Oh well....that's life. Thanks for asking.

Funny!!! She would find out what you're trying so desperately to keep secret!!! At least you only have to keep your mouth shut for one more week!

I really can't wait to hear about yalls trip!!!!

Ha!Ha! Y'all are hilarious!!! While I do love the DisBoards and all of yall, of course....I value my job....playing on the DisBoards at work would likely be frowned upon. However tempting it may be, I must refrain from working on the TR there (most of the time :laughing:)

So guess what.....here's another installment....just for you impatient people (namely Pop and Stephanie) Coming up in 5...

13. DisneyDoc5

14. hstrickland

Day 4
    Beach & Yacht Club

Update on the CT travelers….they were not able to get out on an early flight. Even worse…they had to travel to New York and fly out of JFK. The flight is supposed to leave around 7:30pm. Luckily, Disney was kind enough to reimburse them for the 1st night at AKL.

As we ate breakfast in the lounge, we were still a bit disappointed. Honestly, I was more concerned about the flight not making it at all because of weather. Two of the kids were anxious to get to the pool, while Stephen was anxious to start his search for Hidden Mickeys….no shock there.

[​IMG]

Of course MaHopie and Pop were right by Stephen’s side….

[​IMG]

Bill decided he would catch up on the Disney News while reading Celebration….I’m telling yall….he’s a closet Disney Fan!! The other night at dinner, he quizzed us with a few questions from a Disney Trivia Book. Guess who answered the questions correctly?? Not me….not Stephen….Bill!

[​IMG]

After a dip in the pool and several Hidden Mickeys later, we had to make a decision about the afternoon. Normally, I have a very detailed itinerary for our clan…..not for Saturday. The weather kinda put a whole in my vague schedule, too. Since it wasn’t sunny and rain was forecasted, we couldn’t hang by the pool all day.

[​IMG]

Finally we came to an agreement!... Head over to the Beach Club and attempt to finish the Kitchen Sink. Stephen has been wanting to try this massive ice cream sundae for years….today might be his chance.
    We hopped on the bus and took a short trip to AK to catch the bus to the BC. Bill loves riding the buses…not sure why, but he does. It wasn’t a short trip. We had to stop at the Swan first, then the Dolphin then finally the YC/BC.

The Yacht Club seemed to be very quiet…not much activity going on.

[​IMG]

Beautiful lobby and gorgeous flowers….

[​IMG]

This is one of the resorts that we have wanted to try but never seem to make it. I’ve booked BCV but always chicken out:confused3

[​IMG]

We ventured around for a bit….lots and lots and lots of people at the pool area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well….we were starving and had a hard time deciding on what to eat or should I say where to eat. One of the things I soon realized about BC/YC is the quick service area is WAY small. Because Beaches N’ Cream had a HORRIBLE wait, we couldn’t eat there. Needless to say Stephen wasn’t a happy camper. I was a little disappointed, too. The only thing we could find was this….

[​IMG]

Maybe we missed something with dining and there are other places??? Not sure….

[​IMG]

We ate outside which was very pleasant....food was just food…nothing outstanding, but edible since we were starved.

[​IMG]

Be warned….when the animals smell food….they have no problem trying to steal a tidbit or two. Kinda reminded me of the movie Over the Hedge….

[​IMG]

These animals seemed to be laughing at us….however, the kids thought it was GREAT!

[​IMG]

Thank heavens there were only a couple of people around….Jesse was in rare form.

[​IMG]

Really nice view of the BC….however……I started to take notice of the balcony areas or lack of balconies. It would worry me (if we stay here) that I would get stuck with one of the ‘no balcony’ rooms.

[​IMG]

For those of you interested in trading pins, we learned something quite interesting. One of the CMs informed us that the pins the CMs have cannot be bought in the gift shops. The pins usually have a Hidden Mickey on them, too, and they’re in a series (at least this is what the CM told us) He was super nice and took up lots of time with Stephen.

[​IMG]

He also told us that all Concierge desks have books of pins that they allow you to look through….kinda fun if you’re into pin trading.

[​IMG]

So here we sit….deciding on what to do next…..hmmmm…..which resort do we venture to???? By the way, the lobby of the BC was packed!! My goodness!….I couldn’t get over it….people were everywhere!!:scared:

[​IMG]

On our way out to the bus, Jesse spotted this car. I’ve never noticed it before….kinda neat for a photo.

[​IMG]

And once again….the whole balcony issue catches my eye! Should I even be concerned with this??? I’m really having second thoughts about this resort. Love the pool itself, but not sure about the rooms or the masses of people. It is a Saturday, so maybe that’s the reason for the crowd.

[​IMG]

Up next….another resort or two….then it’s time for Boma!

15. jennyjinx3

jennyjinx3 DIS Veteran

Boo on not being able to try the kitchen sink! Maybe next time? Why am I scared for your review of Boma???:scared:

16. amandaw

amandaw DIS Veteran

Awww, that's too bad that y'all couldn't try the Kitchen Sink! That thing looks delicious....and HUGE! I think we'll stick to trying a sunday when we go.

17. chattadisser

chattadisser Mouseketeer

I know what you mean about BC's lack of food options. We stayed there last December and I kept thinking "there has to be more options around here that I can't find", but there wasn't. You just think that a resort that big would have a bigger quick service. Addie will only eat chicken nuggets at WDW and they don't have them there :scared1:

Don't let the lack of balcony scare you too much, we ended up with one of those Juliet balcony's, or half balcony as I call it, and it wasn't really an issue. Now, that said, our view was of the roof overlooking the parking lot so there wasn't much to see either. But that is what we booked so no big deal. I will tell you that I LOVED being able to walk to EPCOT and HS, more than I thought I would.

It's the first day a mixed emotion day?? So fun, but scary and sad too, it means they are getting older and so are we! Hope everyone has a great first day!:cheer2:

Oh..and I say you drag this TR out as long as possible!

Christine

18. Sweetpeamd

Sweetpeamd Mouseketeer

I'm sorry about your BC/YC adventure not working out so well. We also have tried Beaches and Cream and have never been able to get in. We are totally spoiled by ADR's and won't wait for any restaurant, it seems. I hear it's really good, wonder why they don't do ressies?

About the views, we stayed at BC twice (?) and BCV once (?), I can't remember exactly. For some reason I'm thinking we have stayed there more than that but, anyway, at least 3 times. Both times our view from BC was beautiful. We had a large balcony with views of the lake, gorgeous at night. We had booked a standard view but both times were upgraded automatically to a water view.

At least for us, BCV's view was not good. I had requested a high floor (I always do) but the room wasn't going to be ready for a long time and I made the mistake of just taking a first floor room that was available. NEVER again will I do that! Our "balcony" was a porch that was right on the ground where people were walking around. I guess this is obvious for most people (duh?) and maybe most people don't care but we love to have quiet and privacy when we sit out on our balconies. With a 2 BR villa, you get 2 balconies so it's nice to have good ones. I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure there is no water view from BCV. I think they sit between BC and the parking lot. We felt the location was inferior to BC but, with our family size, we have to stay in a 2BR villa in order to be together. Besides, having laundry machines available in my room is essential now that I'm used to it. The thought of going home with a week's worth of dirty laundry is so much worse than any parking lot view ever could be!:scared1:

19. pas130

pas130 Always missing Florida....

:cheer2: A new day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy 1st day of school!!!!!

Especially you Jesse!!!! Kindergarten rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Heather :hug: I know how bittersweet this milestone is :hug:

When we stayed at YC the lobby was always quiet, BC...not so much....

Jesse was too funny with the ducks :upsidedow

Good job Bill on the trivia :cool2:

20. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

There's that banned word again :rotfl: I can't even say it, sc.....cough choke h...

21. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

When we stayed at BC we had a GV room, and requested a full balcony, and got it. We didn't use The Marketplace much because we had the CL lounge, but had a look, and thought breakfast options were decent. We're usually at a park for lunch, and dinner is usually TS.
    We loved BC.

But sounds like you'd enjoy YC more with a quieter lobby and all rooms having a balcony.

There is another food option, Hurricane Hanna's by the pool and main walkway, so you don't need SAB access to use it. They have the same burgers as B&C.

Too bad about the Kitchen sink. We ordered it for lunch last August :upsidedow there were 4 of us, and couldn't finish it!!