3,298 miles, 10 breweries, and 1 Mega Meet - a July '16 Trip Report *New 6/5/17 - Link to new TR!*

I must say that part of me is sad that they are changing the driving patter so there will be a fly-over if you are not going to MK

Are they really?! Have they already started working on it?

(clearly I am not so good at creating drama)

:rotfl2:I'm pretty sure that's a good thing!

I have to say I like it more than I thought/wanted to. I do still miss the big waterfall/folliage centerpiece and think they could have done something that called back to that a bit more, but it has a nice feel to it.

I agree. The waterfall was pretty magnificent, although the feel to the new lobby is very calm and peaceful.

We found it and a CM was out front and asked us "you know this is a bar right?" and we are all "um, yeah!"

Because of the kids perhaps??

We also are a big fan of the glassware and knew we wanted to get a few

MORE!?! :faint: Didn't you bring home like 5 glasses from DLR?

I had been dying to try the pulled pork nachos

Will have to try these next time!

16_hidden%20mickey%20pearls.jpg

Dang you and Judi can put them down!:thumbsup2

(because, goodness forbid they go when we were near them

:laughing:Right!?

Apparently all the DISers that showed up were having too good of a time as I didn't get any pictures - but it was definitely fun and we had glow sticks and bubbles and beach balls for the kids. There were other Megameeters there but they congregated by the regular beach (there was some confusion as to where to meet) so that was a bit of a bummer that we weren't all together, but it was still a good time

Glad you had a great time!

Love the shots you got!

So i'm still trying to figure out if we need a double stroller. How long do you think Peter will be in one (since Calvin and Peter are about the same age)?

I guess the whole #ThanksShanghai hasn't impacted the sticker budget.

:lmao:

but we had so many super positive experiences this trip

Good to hear! We didn't have one bad experience this past January, in fact, everyone seemed to be going above and beyond for us!(i.e. the stroller!)

Good family shot.

She is getting good! Pretty sure she's going to pass you up in the near future, Phil. Better learn to take a beating!

Awesome!

Truth be told, I think I'd rather watch them than the Frozen Sing-Along so it all worked out in the end.

:thumbsup2

They are really fun to watch.

topping for a quick selfie with Walt's (not frozen) Head.

:laughing:

When we did I requested that we sit in a Car table and the hostess indicated that if you made an ADR you are guaranteed a car table - which is the first time I had heard that.

Yep, definitely the first I heard of this too since we had ADR's and were going to get seated at a regular table when my mom spoke up! Maybe they started doing it recently?

I did notice a trend in theme of people traveling to other worlds and finding groups made up only of women who utilize men just for breeding and then kill them ... so guess during this time frame men were really scared of women having power.

:lmao:Never noticed!

This was really good - one of the best chocolate desserts I've had at Disney ... but super rich so we struggled to fit it

So so rich.

Aw great shot of you two :goodvibes

So i'm still trying to figure out if we need a double stroller. How long do you think Peter will be in one (since Calvin and Peter are about the same age)?

We always ere on having the stroller - both as a spot for a tired kid and also for holding stuff. Even Olivia had times wanted to ride (though if it was just her we wouldn't have the stroller)

Following along. Seems like a great trip so far!

:welcome: Thanks for joining and commenting ... definitely had a great trip - long at times but a great one

Part 24: At Disney - Day 2: Disney's Hollywood Studios
A Red Carpet Dreams kinda meet

After lunch, Emma was still asleep ....

01_Sleeping%20Emma.jpg

So Judi sat with her in the shade while I took Peter and Olivia to see Mickey and Minnie ... who were all fancy like and "Staring in Red Carpet Dreams". One reason we did was because the sign said it was a 10 minute wait but it wound up being more like 25 mins or so which was a little frustrating - but there were some nice people in line with us who got a kick out Peter and Olivia so that helped

I loved the "movie posters" they had up in the waiting area (once you got inside the building) and they were screens and would animate a bit every now and then - actually, I think they should have animated more as it was so infrequent I think a lot of people missed it

03_poster%202.jpg
02_posters%201.jpg
04_poster%203.jpg

First up was Minnie - in a very fun outfit and glamorous room. It was a fun meet and Minnie was very sweet, but a bit on the short side (I think the kids were more interested in Mickey - well, at least I was ;) )

05_kids%20with%20Minnie%201.jpg
06_kids%20with%20Minnies%202.jpg

then we had a bit of a line in-between the meets but after not too long was Sorcerer Mickey in a really cool room with tons of great details - including a spell book on Yensid's ... I took a picture of it and the CM pointed it out to Mickey who gave be a stern look (looking at the ingredients it is a lot of backing goods and fruit and booze - so, all good in my mind)

Mickey gave some great hugs to the kids and we got a family picture

07_kids%20with%20Mickey%201.jpg
08_Fam%20with%20Mickey.jpg
09_Spell%20book.jpg

Kids%20with%20Sorcerer%20Mickey.gif

While we were meeting, Judi sat with sleeping Emma near where Chip and Dale were meeting and she got a selfie with them doing a conga line with their handler CM

10_Judi%20with%20conga%20chip%20and%20dale.jpg

We just met some stars, but coming up next was Touring some Stars

Part 25: At Disney - Day 2: Disney's Hollywood Studios
Star Tours and (watching) Trials of the Temple

At this point our FP+ window for Start Tours had opened so we headed there. Olivia was still feeling a little unsure of this ride (even though she rode it last trip) so Judi took Peter first. Always love this queue - and Peter looked pretty cool in his Space Opera Glasses

03_peter%20on%20line.jpg
05_Droid%20in%20queue.jpg
04_Peter%20on%20ride.jpg

While they were riding, we set up in the shade, but in view of the stage for the Jedi Training Trials of the Temple. As mentioned before the kids had decided they didn't want to do the training but they were open to watching. In the end they really liked watching but were fine with not doing it so it worked out. Also, side note but even by early afternoon we saw they still had sign-ups open for the training so perhaps it isn't quite as crazy to get signed up for as in the past.

01_Star%20Tours%20view.jpg
02_Trials%20of%20the%20Temple.jpg

Kylo%20Ren%20TotT.gif

Then we switched and I took Olivia (both times we got rider swap passes) - she looks nervous in this picture but she absolutely loved the ride and was the one ride on subsequent days she asked if we could hop over to DHS to ride again

06_Phil%20and%20Olivia%20on%20ride.jpg

After this we decided to head our for our mid-day break - it was about 2pm at this time - and we walked back to our car. While back at Bonnet Creek Judi took time to rest with Emma while I took Olivia and Peter to the pools - we hit up 2 pools and a lazy river and had a good time (since Judi wasn't there to watch things I didn't bring a camera or phone or anything) - but we had fun.

Coming up - one of my kids rides Tower of Terror ... duh, duh, duh duh

Part 26: At Disney - Day 2: Disney's Hollywood Studios
Tower of Terror ... IN SUMMER!!!!!

We got back to Hollywood Studios at about 4:15 and this time we were parked a bit further back - so we took the tram ... Emma was obviously awake and in a good mood

01_Tram%20ride.jpg

Once we got to the entrance we realized we forgot the diaper bag (wouldn't be the last time) so Judi headed back to the tram to get back to the car while I took the kids through security and the entrance and slowly made our way to our next destination. First I asked the kids to get a picture with Bo (I convinced the girls to do so - though they weren't quite sure what the big deal was)

02_girls%20with%20Bo.jpg

We were heading to the Tower of Terror where we had our next FP for and on the way I talked to the kids about who was going to ride and who wouldn't. I knew Olivia would like the dropping part but she gets scared of context a lot so the boiler room and ghost and stuff was really freaking her out

In the end Peter agreed to ride with me while Olivia stayed with Judi and Emma. We got in line and I got one of my favorite pictures from the trip:

03_Pete%20with%20ToT.jpg

Always love the details in the queue, and Pete seemed ok with the boiler room and the ominous elevator :

04_Desk.jpg
05_Peter%20in%20line.jpg
06_Peter%20getting%20on%20elevator.jpg

though the ride photo shows he wasn't quite as fine with the ride itself. Afterwards I asked him what he though and all he said was "that was not good". There were a number of late teen/early 20 girls that got off a similar time as us and they thought Peter was so cute and tried to make him feel better but he was having none of it. He didn't really get upset or scared or anything, just wasn't a fan at this point

07_Phil%20and%20Pete%20ToT%20ride%20photo.jpg

On the way out through the dump shop we noticed these painting of kinda creepy versions of Disney Princesses ... they were pretty cool but I was not expecting to see them so it caught me off guard a bit

08_weird%20princesses.jpg

Olivia still didn't want to ride and we didn't want to force it so Judi then rode alone while I took the kids to meet someone cool

09_Judi%20ToT%20Ride%20Photo.jpg

It took me a little while to find where Olaf was meeting - just couldn't quite figure it out from looking at the map so did have to ask a CM but eventually found it - basically it is across from the entrance to the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. Wait wasn't too long and we had a fun meet. I think Emma was a bit confused/blown away to see THE REAL OLAF IN REAL LIFE!!!

10_Meeting%20Olaf%20one.jpg
12_Olaf%20High%20Fives.jpg
11_Family%20with%20Olaf.jpg

It was a fun meet and Olaf was really fun and we would do little dances and stuff - so definitely recommend if you get a chance!

Coming up next - more Star Tours and Dinner at one of my favorites of the trip.

TTFN

I'm SO far behind :o We haven't met Mickey and Minnie in their "new" HS area but it looks really neat! Sorcerer Mickey is older DS's favorite so maybe I can talk the kids into doing that M&G in November. I actually love all the costumes the characters wear in that park; Daisy, Mickey, Goofy. A bit retro-Hollywood :)
Can I admit here that nobody in my family has ever ridden Star Tours? Mainly because we're not SW fans, but if it wasn't a simulator ride I'd probably have tried it. Nobody has even ever asked to but if we happen to be there come Nov. and our usual rides have long waits but ST is reasonable, maybe I'll give it a shot.
Looking forward to seeing who rode my favorite, TOT! Older DS loves it; we bribed younger DS to try it last Nov. and the pp picture/video is priceless :rotfl:

And now I know who rode it! But good for him trying it out; hopefully you get him on again sooner than my DS, whom I don't think will ride again - ever.......

I'm SO far behind :o We haven't met Mickey and Minnie in their "new" HS area but it looks really neat! Sorcerer Mickey is older DS's favorite so maybe I can talk the kids into doing that M&G in November. I actually love all the costumes the characters wear in that park; Daisy, Mickey, Goofy. A bit retro-Hollywood :)
Can I admit here that nobody in my family has ever ridden Star Tours? Mainly because we're not SW fans, but if it wasn't a simulator ride I'd probably have tried it. Nobody has even ever asked to but if we happen to be there come Nov. and our usual rides have long waits but ST is reasonable, maybe I'll give it a shot.
Looking forward to seeing who rode my favorite, TOT! Older DS loves it; we bribed younger DS to try it last Nov. and the pp picture/video is priceless :rotfl:

And now I know who rode it! But good for him trying it out; hopefully you get him on again sooner than my DS, whom I don't think will ride again - ever.......

I am glad that Mickey and Minnie got a dedicated area with detailed backdrops and different outfits everyone seemed to really enjoy it

We like Star Tours a lot - though it is one that I think you have to like Star Wars a little bit as it is scenes from the move really ... it was our first time since the Force Awakens and we got that scene which was a good one

I was proud of Pete and he held his own - didn't freak out or anything. I do think he will ride it again in the future - might take a little while though. I am hoping to get Olivia more into the "fun scary" stuff - got her a copy of "In a Dark, Dark, Room" which I remember reading when I was a kid and we got through the book and she said "that wasn't so bad, I like that" and she just got invited to a Harry Potter Themed party and has agreed to watch the first movie (which she needs to as she said the invite came from "Warthogs" ... so hopefully in a year or two I can get her on it

she just got invited to a Harry Potter Themed party and has agreed to watch the first movie (which she needs to as she said the invite came from "Warthogs" ... so hopefully in a year or two I can get her on it
LOL, that is both hysterical and adorable!

Great update!

I'm excited to check out the new meet and greets. It looks like they did a good job with them and that you had a good time.

Love the chip and Dale conga line!

Star tours is always fun. I've never sat and watched the Jedi training academy, maybe I will next time.

Maybe the diaper bag should have an alarm or something so you don't forget it. Lol, I'm sure an app could be created for such thing.

Tower of Terror is great. I don't like drops but this ride is so incredibly well themed.

It looks like Olaf got some warm hugs!

Gosh Phil, you now have me rethinking our adr at Sci-Fi for our January trip. My grandkids will be 7,5 and almost 3 during the trip and I'm not sure what they'll think of the movies. The menu just looks okay to me, nothing special. My daughters keep telling me it will be fine, but I have a tendency to overthink things.

The girls don't seem too impressed with Bo. Haha! I still think Brenda had the best pics with Bo and I miss her trip reports.

Good for Peter for trying ToT and good job to Judi for snapping that selfie.

What a great meet with Olaf! He'll definitely be on our must see list for January.

What a fun DHS day, and glad Emma woke up happy! nice to spend some time back at the resort going to the pool. ive definitely found that is a nearly-daily must do for us. The Minnie & Mickey meet and greet sounds so cool (though I cant' see the photos in your post, darn photobucket being blocked at work and my phone doesn't get good enough service to open the page lol).

I was surprised Aria liked Star Tours as much as she did, but ToT she HATES so Olivia would be in good company there. I am not sure if she will ride it in December next to Izzy knowing I won't be holding her hand.

Olaf is fun, we met him at DCA and he was so neat to meet!

Pete's reaction to Tower of Terror reminds me of my nephew's reaction to Space Mountain. As soon as it ended, he went "That was NOT fun!"

Great pics with Mickey & Minnie! And a bonus pic of Judi with Chip & Dale- awesome!

Sounds like a nice break back at the hotel.

Love that pic of Peter in front of ToT! Sorry he didn't enjoy the ride though.

Great photo with Olaf!!

Phil - I know you're a big AC fan - you know this guy used to play mostly Emil Bleehall (spelling?) and sometimes the butler dude? He was HILARIOUS as Emil, and one of the few things I looked forward to at the AC. (sorry, could only take it in small doses, and went there 'cause my friends used to hang out there ALL TRIP EVERY TRIP FROM OPEN TO CLOSE. His "real life name" is Tim something, and I also recently saw him on a Disney Escape-Room type place ad too. Glad to know he's still around, still with WDW, and still in entertainment.

Still enjoying your report, even though I'm late catching up. And Olivia "losing herself it the show" was PRECIOUS!! LOL at your comment in a previous post about you not wanting your Pete to meet Pete Werner's Dr. FeelGood!!!

Still catching up here.....LOVED the Sorcerer Mickey video, and pics - you KNOW he's the MAN!! :) I only saw him as a "walk around character" once, in EPCOT, a LONG time ago - he was very rare then, think it was like 2000 or so. Can't wait to see him again someday!! Although I have to admit the new "talking and moving eyes and stuff interactive" one kinda creeps me out just a bit. LOL.

Don't think I've ever seen those creepy Disney princess portraits in the TOT, but they are definitely creepy. Kinda like Precious Moments, only not. LOL

LOL @ Olivia and "WartHogs" - sounds like the extent of MY Harry Potter knowledge - we'd be great friends. LOL

Last edited:
I'm with Pete on ToT... but I ride it so my 15yo doesn't have to go alone. It's so not my favorite!

Warthogs... hee! Yes, it's time to start educating her! ;) We have been through those books and movies many, many times in our house....

Great update!

I'm excited to check out the new meet and greets. It looks like they did a good job with them and that you had a good time.

Love the chip and Dale conga line!

Star tours is always fun. I've never sat and watched the Jedi training academy, maybe I will next time.

Maybe the diaper bag should have an alarm or something so you don't forget it. Lol, I'm sure an app could be created for such thing.

Tower of Terror is great. I don't like drops but this ride is so incredibly well themed.

It looks like Olaf got some warm hugs!

They did do a good job with the Meet & Greet area and it is nice they have a dedicated area rather than shoe-horned into the animation academy area as in the past. Sorcerer Mickey's especially feels really neat

The training academy is pretty cool - and they switch out the CM performing in it each time but it is the same plot and lines, etc. - so having sat through multiple ones while waiting at various times it was neat to see the little twists each put into it (what lines to give more emphasis to, etc.)

I am sure there is an all - probably could put one of those "tile" things on it ... not a bad idea! Not sure how we kept forgetting it given that we always have it with us when we go out at home - guess just one of those things about being in the Disney bubble

I love ToT - I know it is dangerous (and foolhardy) to play the "what would Walt think?" game - but I think he would love that ride as it showed how taking a simple "drop" ride can be so much more with good story telling

yup! Olaf was lots of fun!

Gosh Phil, you now have me rethinking our adr at Sci-Fi for our January trip. My grandkids will be 7,5 and almost 3 during the trip and I'm not sure what they'll think of the movies. The menu just looks okay to me, nothing special. My daughters keep telling me it will be fine, but I have a tendency to overthink things.

The girls don't seem too impressed with Bo. Haha! I still think Brenda had the best pics with Bo and I miss her trip reports.

Good for Peter for trying ToT and good job to Judi for snapping that selfie.

What a great meet with Olaf! He'll definitely be on our must see list for January.

Oh Annie - I don't want you to change plans based on my review ... I definitely subscribe that people should experience restaurants at Disney for themselves as there are some we aren't crazy about that I know others love and vice-versa. The food really is pretty solid, I just think the setting is what makes it so unique and special and it just wasn't a hit for my kids.

Yeah, it is totally Brenda I was thinking of with Bo and the girls just don't get it!

Olaf was great - and I find it fun that he "signs" a picture of himself as (it was explained to us) Olaf doesn't understand written language or anything

What a fun DHS day, and glad Emma woke up happy! nice to spend some time back at the resort going to the pool. ive definitely found that is a nearly-daily must do for us. The Minnie & Mickey meet and greet sounds so cool (though I cant' see the photos in your post, darn photobucket being blocked at work and my phone doesn't get good enough service to open the page lol).

I was surprised Aria liked Star Tours as much as she did, but ToT she HATES so Olivia would be in good company there. I am not sure if she will ride it in December next to Izzy knowing I won't be holding her hand.

Olaf is fun, we met him at DCA and he was so neat to meet!

At least during the summer with the longer park hours (and hot mid-day temperatures) we have to take a break. When the hours are shorter or if we don't get there super early we can sometimes go a full day if at least a few of the kids get naps during the day. This trip it was definitely a must - especially since we went to the parks every day and didn't have any true "down" days

You never know with kids trip-to-trip. Olivia hated Everest last trip but (spoiler alert) she loved it this time and rode it 4 times (and would have rode it more if she could)

Olaf wasn't a super must-do for us pre-trip but I am glad it worked out as we hadn't met him before and it was definitely fun. Not too long of a wait either

Pete's reaction to Tower of Terror reminds me of my nephew's reaction to Space Mountain. As soon as it ended, he went "That was NOT fun!"

yeah, that is exactly how Pete was ... no screaming or tears or anything just kinda straight forward "that was not good"

Great pics with Mickey & Minnie! And a bonus pic of Judi with Chip & Dale- awesome!

Sounds like a nice break back at the hotel.

Love that pic of Peter in front of ToT! Sorry he didn't enjoy the ride though.

Great photo with Olaf!!

yeah - it was fun to go through Judi's phone pics and see some action I had missed!

I love that picture too - I am proud of Pete for trying ToT and I am sure if the future he will like it better .... his reaction made for a good story though ;)

We enjoyed the Olaf meet!

Phil - I know you're a big AC fan - you know this guy used to play mostly Emil Bleehall (spelling?) and sometimes the butler dude? He was HILARIOUS as Emil, and one of the few things I looked forward to at the AC. (sorry, could only take it in small doses, and went there 'cause my friends used to hang out there ALL TRIP EVERY TRIP FROM OPEN TO CLOSE. His "real life name" is Tim something, and I also recently saw him on a Disney Escape-Room type place ad too. Glad to know he's still around, still with WDW, and still in entertainment.

Still enjoying your report, even though I'm late catching up. And Olivia "losing herself it the show" was PRECIOUS!! LOL at your comment in a previous post about you not wanting your Pete to meet Pete Werner's Dr. FeelGood!!!

Still catching up here.....LOVED the Sorcerer Mickey video, and pics - you KNOW he's the MAN!! :) I only saw him as a "walk around character" once, in EPCOT, a LONG time ago - he was very rare then, think it was like 2000 or so. Can't wait to see him again someday!! Although I have to admit the new "talking and moving eyes and stuff interactive" one kinda creeps me out just a bit. LOL.

Don't think I've ever seen those creepy Disney princess portraits in the TOT, but they are definitely creepy. Kinda like Precious Moments, only not. LOL

LOL @ Olivia and "WartHogs" - sounds like the extent of MY Harry Potter knowledge - we'd be great friends. LOL

Thanks Heidi - and I did recognize him from AC but appreciate the reminder and what role he played. I have some other AC related stories coming up in future updates! (another great tease by me!)

I have done a few Escape the Rooms in NYC and would love to do the Disney one!!!!

I love that picture of Olivia - just a perfect moment of "why we love Disney"

haha, well, I told Olivia she might want to get up to speed on Harry Potter if she is going to a Harry Potter themed party and she has agreed to watch the first movie - so we shall see how that goes

I'm with Pete on ToT... but I ride it so my 15yo doesn't have to go alone. It's so not my favorite!

Warthogs... hee! Yes, it's time to start educating her! ;) We have been through those books and movies many, many times in our house....

I love the themeing of ToT more than the actual drop - but think it is a great attraction overall. I am glad the WDW is not getting the Guardian's of the Galaxy overlay but I'd actually like to try that version at some point in the future if we ever get back to DLR

As you can tell by the refusal to go on ToT Olivia hates anything ever remotely creepy and doesn't like conflict so despite my pleading and how much she loves reading in general she hasn't read any of the HP books. She did agree to watch the first movie in preparation for the Harry Potter themed party she got invited to - so we shall see how that goes

Loving the report so far. We are really hoping to meet Olaf in a few weeks.

:welcome: thanks! Hope you have a great trip and definitely seek out Olaf - he doesn't seem to get much of a line either which is good!

She is out!

Jedi Training Trials of the Temple

What's the minimum age?

Then we switched and I took Olivia (both times we got rider swap passes) - she looks nervous in this picture but she absolutely loved the ride and was the one ride on subsequent days she asked if we could hop over to DHS to ride again

Aw that's great that she loved it! I'm assuming neither of you were the rebel spy?

irst I asked the kids to get a picture with Bo (I convinced the girls to do so - though they weren't quite sure what the big deal was)

:rotfl2:

I still need to get a pic with Bo!

I like this picture. He has no idea what he's about to step into.

Afterwards I asked him what he though and all he said was "that was not good"

:laughing::lmao:

OH MY GOSH! He looks so little! I showed DH and told him this is what it would look like if Calvin rode. Calvin has been obsessed with this ride and watching it on the iPad and even constructing elevators out of his magnatiles. But he cried on the Jumpin' Jellyfish at DCA so don't think he's quite there yet :laughing:

These! I posted about these I think in 2015 and thought there were creepy, emo and almost evil looking. I can't.

Great pic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter