3,298 miles, 10 breweries, and 1 Mega Meet - a July '16 Trip Report *New 6/5/17 - Link to new TR!*

The scavenger hunt looks like it was so much fun! I would have been all over that had we been there and I'm glad that it seemed to involve both tasks that were interactive with other people and just finding things. Nice variety.

Man, I only ever hear good things about HDDR and I know we've got to get there. I'm glad that the kids ended up enjoying it, even if they weren't too thrilled to be heading away from MK (not that they can be blamed for that).

The new FP system with DME is incredible, especially for making/changing FP no doubt.

I'm also glad that we watched MSEP as it was announced while we were there that it'd be going away. So, seeing it one last time and CTM are definitely special things.

I must say that the recent improvements to the FP+ process of being able to book / move things on the app and have your extra FP be in a different park, etc. have really made the system pretty user friendly and overall it worked great for us this trip.
I've always been happy with the FP+ system. I'm looking forward to a trip with the latest updates, it should make it even more user friendly.

BTW - I love that robonews statue - but funny to think how we get our news right on our phones practically instantaneously rather than needing a robot to type it out for us like they thought would happen in the future decades ago
I've seen the robot news guy before but never thought of it that way. I wonder what Walt would think about today's technology!

I enjoyed my favorite part ... getting to see the model for Progress City! My understanding is that this is only 1/2 the model that was originally built so that must have been huge when completed!
It's my favourite part too. The original plans for the Florida project were certainly ambitious. I'm not sure it ever would have worked though.

rode with Olivia who is apparently the Queen of Overcorrecting as she would "correct" us back way more than needed and we just bounced off the rail quite a bit. But she had fun getting a chance to drive. I know this attraction takes up a lot of room and I wish they would update to electric cars or something but I hope they keep it in some form as the kids just love it!
I think all kids loved to overcorrect on that ride, I know my oldest DD certainly did when she was younger (she just got her actual drivers license last week, so talk about them growing up :sad1:). Interestingly my youngest had no interest in driving, but enjoys coming along for the ride. I do hope they keep the ride in some form.

and we continued to stink at this ride!
I'm pretty hopeless at it too, despite reading all the tips & tricks for high scores.

We weren't specifically planning to watch this, but now I am glad we did see what we did as they have now gotten rid of said Main St. Electrical Parade. Definitely a classic though I am hoping they put something new and amazing together in the future.
I really hope they are going to consider a night time parade some time down the road. I remember enjoying MSEP when I was 9 years old and I'm sad to see it go.

The scavenger hunt looks like it was so much fun! I would have been all over that had we been there and I'm glad that it seemed to involve both tasks that were interactive with other people and just finding things. Nice variety.

Man, I only ever hear good things about HDDR and I know we've got to get there. I'm glad that the kids ended up enjoying it, even if they weren't too thrilled to be heading away from MK (not that they can be blamed for that).

The new FP system with DME is incredible, especially for making/changing FP no doubt.

I'm also glad that we watched MSEP as it was announced while we were there that it'd be going away. So, seeing it one last time and CTM are definitely special things.

I bet you would have had a blast doing the scavenger hunt - and fully agree that I loved how the app made it easy to do different types of things (like filming yourselves doing the tigger bounce and then uploading the video)

I also would be surprised if you didn't like HDDR - just classic Disney and good food too!

Fully agree about the latest FP system - I know some people that do trips with little planning still complain it can be hard to get a FP with short notice for the headliners and preferred just doing RP to get a paper FP - but other than that I think it works really well and tough to complain about it

I am so glad you heard about MSEP going away and were able to catch it again!

I've always been happy with the FP+ system. I'm looking forward to a trip with the latest updates, it should make it even more user friendly.

I've seen the robot news guy before but never thought of it that way. I wonder what Walt would think about today's technology!

It's my favourite part too. The original plans for the Florida project were certainly ambitious. I'm not sure it ever would have worked though.

I think all kids loved to overcorrect on that ride, I know my oldest DD certainly did when she was younger (she just got her actual drivers license last week, so talk about them growing up :sad1:). Interestingly my youngest had no interest in driving, but enjoys coming along for the ride. I do hope they keep the ride in some form.

I'm pretty hopeless at it too, despite reading all the tips & tricks for high scores.

I really hope they are going to consider a night time parade some time down the road. I remember enjoying MSEP when I was 9 years old and I'm sad to see it go.

We had been pretty happy with FP+ all along and preferred it to the old system but I do think some of the recent updates fixed a few things that were annoying about it and made it that much better.

Obviously know one truly knows what Walt would think but he was always pushing technology so I assume he would embrace it ... actually, he'd probably be annoyed that the some Disney technology (the website, the wifi in the parks, etc.) isn't thought of as being best in class.

I don't see how Walt's original idea would have worked on its own as well - but the idea of a place for innovative firms to work collaboratively already sort of happens with think tanks in Boston and San Francisco, etc. - so I wouldn't be surprised if he would have gotten something along the lines of what he wanted working

It's all rumors at this point but the last I heard is that MK will get a new night time parade but it won't be there for a while

Sounds like a good time getting most of Tomorrowland done!

That pic of the castle/statue is beautiful!

I miss the vanilla/pineapple swirl too! But the regular dole whip is still delicious :)

Great end to the evening, I'm glad you were able to squeeze in some extra park time!

Sounds like a good time getting most of Tomorrowland done!

That pic of the castle/statue is beautiful!

I miss the vanilla/pineapple swirl too! But the regular dole whip is still delicious :)

Great end to the evening, I'm glad you were able to squeeze in some extra park time!

Thanks - it was a nice bonus to be productive that night and was also fun to enjoy the park at night - especially Adventureland which I feel like we haven't done at night in a while

I think the vanilla/pineapple swirl is definitely one of those things that if I never had it i would be perfectly content with the full pineapple one ... but knowing what I once had makes me miss it ... but yeah, still will get the regular at least once a trip :thumbsup2

hi all - sorry for the lack of updates ... I wound up having to do a quickie trip to Zurich for work and then took ill (still recovering) - but I hope to get another update done shortly which should cover at least the beginning of the Podcast taping (after getting through some pesky Magic Kingdom morning activities first)

First Hong Kong, then Zurich! You sure get around. Hope you're feeling 100% soon.

One thing I do love about working for a large, global organization, is the chance for some international travel

Not sure if I am at 100% yet but feeling soooooo much better - thank you!

Part 40: At Disney - Day 4: Magic Kingdom
A Magic Kingdom quickie morning

After the unexpected night at the Magic Kingdom we were heading back there this morning for what was originally scheduled to be our first time there. The plan was to get to MK and check a few things off our list before heading over to Disney Springs to drop me off for the Podcast taping. Originally there were plan for one of Judi's cousins to be at the Magic Kingdom with her family this day (one reason we planned on MK for this day) but then they realized how much tickets for a family for 4 for 1 day at the Magic Kingdom was and they quickly nixed that.

After getting through the toll booths we encountered quite a bit of traffic getting to the parking area - so this was not helping our "try to get in and be productive for a bit" plan (this picture is from 9:34am)

01_Stopped%20traffic.jpg

Eventually we got parked and got onto a monorail to head over to the park (took about 20 mins from the above picture). Once in Emma has a look on her face of "um, if we are on such a tight timeline why are you stopping to take pictures?"

02_on%20the%20monorail.jpg
03_kids%20in%20stroller.jpg

We still had not really had breakfast other than some granola bars and one thing we did want to do this trip was breakfast at Sleepy Hallow - so that was the first stop. You can tell from the back of Judi's shirt that it was already pretty hot. They definitely were prepared to make quite a few waffles here.

04_line%20at%20Sleepy%20Hallow.jpg
05_Waffle%20irons%20in%20Sleepy%20Hollow.jpg

And it was one of those waffles that was on our to-do list, specifically the one with nutella and fruit (also got an iced coffee). Oh wow - this was so good! very rich so splitting it was good for us, but definitely would get again.

06_Fruit%20waffle.jpg

We were then heading to where we had our first FP of the day, which was Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road - and for Peter's first ride on this as he his 40". So I took Peter first and got a rider swap.

07_Waiting%20for%20BTMRR.jpg
08_selfie%20on%20BTMRR.jpg

So the verdict .... he didn't love it. I think the issue was that he just didn't feel secure with how far the lap bar was away from him given it hit my knees first. Spoiler - I did get him on again later in the trip and held on to him a lot more to keep him more still and then he decided he loved it

Then Judi took Olivia and I took the other two to watch the train come by

11_Olivia%20on%20BTMRR.jpg
10_watching%20BTMRR.jpg

and we were actually able to see Judi and Olivia come by ... they are in the first row of the train in the below two pics:

12_Judi%20and%20Olivia%20on%20BTMRR.jpg
13_Judi%20and%20Olivia%20on%20BTMRR%202.jpg

And I must say, Judi got some cool pictures while riding:

15_View%20from%20BTMRR.jpg
16_View%20from%20BTMRR%202.jpg

Oh, and while we were waiting we saw a set-up they had which was part of the Wheel of Fortune filming that was taking place as they were on site this week

14_Filming%20at%20BTMRR.jpg

It was then already time to head out - we did stop for a BTMRR Photopass - though Peter refused to participate (and Emma wasn't too into it either)

17_PP%20with%20BTMRR%20in%20back.jpg

Coming up next - arriving for the Podcast

Part 41: At Disney - Day 4: Disney Springs
It's Podcast Taping Time!

After that semi-family photo we headed out of the park and were informed the quickest way back was the ferry - so we got on the Admiral Joe Fowler (side note, I love how the ferries are named after individuals who were absolutely crucial in the physical construction of Walt Disney World)

01_Ferry.jpg

Took a few pictures while on the ride - including of Peter with the Contemporary in the background and then a fun one of Peter and Emma where it looks like Emma is not buying what Peter is saying

02_Peter%20and%20Contemporary%20in%20background.jpg
03_Emma%20and%20Peter.jpg

Oh, and I love warning signs that out of context look funny, and this might be my new favorite. Apparently you are not supposed to do a cannon ball onto the saw blade

04_Warning%20sign.jpg

(it was really telling you not to sit on or slide down the stairs)

We hit some traffic on the way over so took about 45 mins if not more from when we left Magic Kingdom until Judi dropped my off at Disney Springs, near the La Nouba theater which is where the taping was taking place. Soon I was seeing this as I made my way into the theater

05_line%20getting%20in.jpg

While I was seeing that, Judi was seeing this .... as all three kids fell asleep in the car. One thing Disney Springs does not have is drive-thrus so Judi went off campus and went through the drive-thru at a Chick Fil A for lunch

07_Judi%20and%20sleeping%20kids%20in%20car.jpg

Pretty soon after getting in I ran into @Accident and his daughter so I hung with them for the taping. We got our seats and this was our view:

06_view%20from%20seats.jpg

We could see a lot of activity in the mobile "nook" as Craig and Ryno were doing a lot of work (and Oliver, though he's not in this picture)
08_Nook%20crew.jpg

They played a lot of videos from the history of the show (the Bob Cart, the guys sqeezing into the Mater ride, etc.) - including this one of Bob making a fake Dole Whip using crisco (side note, loved that I saved the files as "Bob Dole Whip")

09_Bob%20Dole%20Whips.jpg

I then did some scanning of the crowd, looking for celebrities and did find @khertz and @WebmasterJackie
10_Kristy.jpg
11_Jackie.jpg

Then the show kicked off with a great video that Ryno put together of interviews of the team members and then Pete came out to kick off the show proper

12_Pete.jpg

Coming up next - the rest of the show and back to Jock Lindsey's

TTFN

I've heard nothing but great things about those Nutella Waffles at Sleepy Hollow. I'm allergic to strawberries, and while I could ask them to hold them on one, I don't want to risk the cross contamination and thus have never ordered one. And now that I'm in Germany and nutella crepes are EVERYWHERE, I'm pretty nutella'd out. But, I still love seeing DISers order one and hearing what they thought of it. I'm glad that one filled everyone up, a little bit of savings there.

I can see how BTMRR could have frightened Peter with the lap bar situation. But I'm happy to hear he gave it another shot and enjoyed it more.

Love all the pictures from the start of the podcast taping. So, so cool that you were there!
And poor Judi, trapped in the car because of sleeping kids. That's parents' lot in life, though. I guess the silver lining was that she had air conditioning to keep her cool in that FL heat and some Chick Fil A to munch on.

Part 41: At Disney - Day 4: Disney Springs
It's Podcast Taping Time!

After that semi-family photo we headed out of the park and were informed the quickest way back was the ferry - so we got on the Admiral Joe Fowler (side note, I love how the ferries are named after individuals who were absolutely crucial in the physical construction of Walt Disney World)

01_Ferry.jpg

Took a few pictures while on the ride - including of Peter with the Contemporary in the background and then a fun one of Peter and Emma where it looks like Emma is not buying what Peter is saying

02_Peter%20and%20Contemporary%20in%20background.jpg
03_Emma%20and%20Peter.jpg

Oh, and I love warning signs that out of context look funny, and this might be my new favorite. Apparently you are not supposed to do a cannon ball onto the saw blade

04_Warning%20sign.jpg

(it was really telling you not to sit on or slide down the stairs)

We hit some traffic on the way over so took about 45 mins if not more from when we left Magic Kingdom until Judi dropped my off at Disney Springs, near the La Nouba theater which is where the taping was taking place. Soon I was seeing this as I made my way into the theater

05_line%20getting%20in.jpg

While I was seeing that, Judi was seeing this .... as all three kids fell asleep in the car. One thing Disney Springs does not have is drive-thrus so Judi went off campus and went through the drive-thru at a Chick Fil A for lunch

07_Judi%20and%20sleeping%20kids%20in%20car.jpg

Pretty soon after getting in I ran into @Accident and his daughter so I hung with them for the taping. We got our seats and this was our view:

06_view%20from%20seats.jpg

We could see a lot of activity in the mobile "nook" as Craig and Ryno were doing a lot of work (and Oliver, though he's not in this picture)
08_Nook%20crew.jpg

They played a lot of videos from the history of the show (the Bob Cart, the guys sqeezing into the Mater ride, etc.) - including this one of Bob making a fake Dole Whip using crisco (side note, loved that I saved the files as "Bob Dole Whip")

09_Bob%20Dole%20Whips.jpg

I then did some scanning of the crowd, looking for celebrities and did find @khertz and @WebmasterJackie
10_Kristy.jpg
11_Jackie.jpg

Then the show kicked off with a great video that Ryno put together of interviews of the team members and then Pete came out to kick off the show proper

12_Pete.jpg

Coming up next - the rest of the show and back to Jock Lindsey's

TTFN
Really love that you're writing up this fabulous report! Thank you!! It's fun to read back through and remember the event through your eyes and words! :)

I'm impressed that you got Peter on BTMRR twice! We still haven't managed to get DS to ride once, and I sure wouldn't have gotten him on again had he disliked it the first time. Every trip, he assures me he will ride it when he is x years old, usually several years into the future.

I gotta agree with Alicia, Chick Fil A is not a bad consolation prize for 3 sleeping kids in the car! lol

Nice shot of DH & I at the podcast taping! It was our first live event for the show, and we really enjoyed ourselves!

Yay for Peter's first ride on Big Thunder Mountain! I get how lap bar issues can kinda ruin your ride experience, so I'm glad he had a better experience later in the trip!

I love the "no canonballing onto the saw blade sign" ... I've never seen that one before! It makes sense, though ... that's gotta hurt.

The pictures from the podcast taping are awesome! So cool that you saw some "celebrities" and got to be there to experience the podcast in person.
Also - I've seen that Bob Dole Whip video. It's funny. Crisco instead of soft serve...

You've got to love Disney cms. That poor girl at Sleepy Hollow, making waffles in the heat while wearing that hot costume (uniform?), and still smiling!

Would it have been quicker to just take a Disney bus to Disney Springs?

LaNouba looks like a nice theater. Glad you enjoyed the podcast taping.

DIS celebrities everywhere! It looks like a great time.

Sleepy Hollow is a fantastic option. I would love to try the nutella and fruit waffle. I only had the ham & swiss before but it was a nice diversion from burgers and fries.

I was not able to convince my youngest DD to get on BTMRR. The closest I got was 7DMT and she was luke warm on that. She's not a thrill rider. DW and oldest DD go on it, but someday it would be nice for us all to go on as a family.

Love BTMRR it is my favorite mountain! Wish the WDW version would get the DL ending.

Still jealous of those who got to go to the taping. Lots of Dis celebrities! Great pictures of the event.

I love that Bob video.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the show! (I was glad to take part of it in a long distance sort of way).

Bummer about that traffic. Glad you were able to try the waffle and get on BTMRR! Emma's faces are so funny in these pics!

That waffle looks really yummy! Excellent breakfast food! I'm really glad Peter conquered his fear of BTMRR later in the trip-- that's such an empowering feeling for kids. I love that ride-- glad you had fun! The taping looks super interesting-- eager to hear more about this!!

Well, I finally caught up on TR's that I was following before this summer and made my way over. Looks like a really fun trip. I always enjoy a good road trip and the meet events look like a lot of fun too. I remember listening to that podcast so it is neat to see an audience member's pov after the fact.

I loved that picture. She partied hard for her second birthday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter