2nd to last Howard Johnson's restaurant to close

I live just outside of Bangor and grew up eating at Howard Johnson's in Massachusetts (LOVED the fried clams, and the peppermint stick ice cream was my favorite), so about a year ago I decided to go to HoJo's in Bangor and see if I could recapture a little of my childhood. All I can say is, I understand why they have no business! The food was abysmal, and those amazing fried clams tasted as if they'd been sitting in the freezer for years. One bite of the ice cream was enough- it was full of ice crystals. These are both signs of old food, cause by low turnover due to low customer number. I guess there are just too many other decent options for meals around here. I'll lament the loss of Howard Johnson's, but the HoJo's I remember fondly are already long gone... this one in Bangor is just not good, and won't be any great loss.

The old fried clams were only made from the tongues. Apparently the rest of the clam meat was used for clam chowder. I've seen photos of their fried clams sold frozen at grocery stores.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/28/opinion/howard-johnsons-adieu.html

It was Mr. Johnson's contention that I should learn about the Howard Johnson Company from the ground up. I worked a few months as a line cook at one of the largest and busiest Howard Johnson's restaurants at the time, on Queens Boulevard in Rego Park. I flipped burgers, cooked hot dogs and learned about the specialties of the house, among them tender fried clams made from the tongues of enormous sea clams whose bodies were used as the base for the restaurants' famous clam chowder. Other specialties I became familiar with included macaroni and cheese, hash browns, ice cream sundaes, banana splits, and, certainly, apple pies.​

It's unlikely that the fried clams sold at their last locations were the same even if relatively fresh. The one thing they supposedly did really well was use really good ingredients in mass quantities.

Only eaten in one...my first Florida trip in 1987. Kissimmee, possibly?

We have a ton of Perkins, Denny's, and Baker's Squares around here. Handful of ihops, too

We went to the last one, in Lake George, just this summer (specifically because we saw on the sign that it was the last one). When we left, we turned to each other in the car and said "well, now we know why it's the last one."

The breakfast was awful (especially compared to the place we'd been the day before) - burnt toast, rubbery pancakes, and runny scrambled eggs.

I was a truck driver for a short time back in the early 70's right after high school and ate at Howard Johnson's all over the place. Loved the all you eat fish fry day.

Only the original Sambo's is left in Santa Barbara. Some of them became Season's. Some of them were sold to Denny's. Some of them were sold to Baker's Square.

The federal government refused the trademark.

Baker's Square is still around in the upper midwest mostly.

There are still about 70 or so Marie Callender's.

Denny's is still going strong.

They died out decades ago in my area. Also gone are Perkins, IHop, Denny's and Bob Evans. Pretty soon the only breakfast place left will be rotten old McDonald's

Don't you have any decent local greasy spoons? That's where you get good breakfasts here.

I mostly think of Howard Johnson's as a hotel chain, but I did eat breakfast there once. In Florida on a trip to Disney World, in fact.

They died out decades ago in my area. Also gone are Perkins, IHop, Denny's and Bob Evans. Pretty soon the only breakfast place left will be rotten old McDonald's

There are several IHOPs and a some Denny's around here (GA). Waffle House reigns supreme for breakfast, though (along with the copycat Huddle House). Cracker Barrels seem to be opening all the time as well.

The brand still exists, but it's basically only a lodging brand. Wyndham owns the brand, and I'm pretty sure that they don't have a commissary any more to make the meals that were delivered to the restaurants. Most of the stuff they had was frozen and reheated, but still of good quality. I'm not even sure where they would get their food these days.

I wasn't aware that Howard Johnson's still existed as a lodging brand either. Guess I don't pay close attention when I travel.

There was a Sambo's close by when I was a teen. I think they changed the name to No Place Like Sam's, then it became a Denny's. The building has long since been torn down when the shopping center where it was located was refurbished.

Last edited:
To funny you mention this, I just saw a huge HOJO sign for sale. I really wanted it. I totally forgot all about it.

I remember going to HoJo's to eat on road trips when I was a kid in NY. I've never seen any restaurants around here (SoCal) in 35 years.

We do still have plenty of Denny's (that took over our Sambo's back in the day), Marie Calender's, IHOP. Our Baker's Square went out about 7 years ago. Our best breakfast spots are local places, but we did get in to try the "NEW" pancakes at Denny's and they were actually pretty good.

I wasn't aware that Howard Johnson's still existed as a lodging brand either. Guess I don't pay close attention when I travel.

There was a Sambo's close by when I was a teen. I think they changed the name to No Place Like Sam's, then it became a Denny's. The building has long since been torn down when the shopping center where it was located was refurbished.

I've stayed at a few over the years, including one in British Columbia last year. The one almost across the street from Disneyland is highly recommended on the Disneyland board. It's got a fairly large waterpark for a hotel pool.

The Sambo's I remember was in Oakland near Jack London Square. When Sambo's mostly folded, that location became a Denny's but now it's par of an independent mini-chain. There are still plenty of Denny's around here.

We used to go to Sambo's when I was a kid (think '60s and '70s). I remember the tiger butter. I never really understood why it was offensive when the story (I thought) takes place in India and Sambo is quite an industrious (and smart) child. Were a great number of Indians offended?

Howard Johnson's, I went to a couple of times but I don't even remember where they were now.

We have IHOP and Denny's here in south Jersey but we also have many independent diners where you can get a great hot brreakfast.

I do have to stop at Waffle House for my cheesy grits when I'm down south.

I'll pretty much eat breakfast anywhere when I'm traveling except McDonald's is always a last resort.

I tried Bob Evans last time I was near Gettysburg, PA and enjoyed it, although It reminded me of Denny's.

We had Shoney's Big Boy when I was a kid.

Last edited:
We used to go to Sambo's when I was a kid (think '60s and '70s). I remember the tiger butter. I never really understood why it was offensive when the story obviously takes place in India and Sambo is quite an industrious (and smart) child. Were a great number of Indians offended?

Howard Johnson's, I went to a couple of times but I don't even remember where they were now.

We have IHOP and Denny's here in south Jersey but we also have many independent diners where you can get a great hot brreakfast.

I do have to stop at Waffle House for my cheesy grits when I'm down south.

I'll pretty much eat breakfast anyway when I'm away except McDonald's is always a last resort.

I tried Bob Evans last time I was near Gettysburg, PA and enjoyed it, although It reminded me of Denny's.

I'm guessing in your area the Point Diner at the Somers Point "circle" and the Phoenix on the White Horse Pike in Absecon may be popular. Shore Diner on Tilton and Fire Road too.

Years ago I said I'd NEVER eat at a Waffle House, but now I actually enjoy stopping there at least once on the way to or from Florida.

Yes, Ang! Shore Diner is a particular favorite of mine especially after a night out (ahem). Also Ref's at Cardiff Circle.

I also love to visit Cracker Barrel but the only one I'm aware of (Mt Laurel)is quite a haul from here. I do stop there when I'm in New England or down South.

So happy to hear you're a convert to Waffle House! I was raised on WH with Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn on the jukebox!

We still have all of these, but haven't eaten at any of them for many years. Actually, my 'go to' place for breakfast is Mickey D's for Egg McMuffin - love these - usually only for a quick breakfast while on the road - otherwise, never eat out at breakfast, and seldom lunch or dinner, except at more upscale places.

As for HO-JO's, haven't even 'seen' one for years - thought they were long gone! A previous poster mentioned Sambo's - used to like them.
Waffle House or IHOP - no way.

Just thinking about people who find there's still one left and seek it out trying to recreate memories only to find out what still carries the Howard Johnson's Restaurant name kind of sucks.

Sounds like when I found out there's Tim Horton's locations listed near where I live, but I look up more about it. Turns out they're ice rink snack bars that put out a Tim Horton's sign and the only Tim Horton's item they serve is coffee. Still - I can still find the real thing if I'm willing to travel.

I remember us alwaya going to Howard Johnson to eat on road trips in Upstate New York as a child in the 70s.

Lots of Denny's and Ihops around here on both sides of the border. Brunch is a big thing here so lots of breakfast places.

Back in the 60's we lived in the Los Altos area of Long Beach, CA. and had a Sambos and a Bob's Big Boy close and ate at both a lot.

When we moved up near Signal Hill, we had a Marie Callendars down the street- it was just a small pie shop and we'd get the strawberry pie; awesome. Also had a Shakeys Pizza and a Fiddlers Three close by we ate at a lot.

Here in the Tulsa area, there is one Dennys left but plenty of I-HOPS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter