27 years ago today: Challenger, go at throttle up

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Shutterbug, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Shutterbug

Shutterbug Some Say........

What followed after those words, is still embedded in my head like it all happened yesterday.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JessB320

JessB320 DIS Veteran

I was pretty young but remember my mother sitting in front of the tv crying at the news coverage. A sad sad day.

4. usnuzuloose

usnuzuloose DIS Veteran

Very sad indeed , I used to live to near the school where Christa McAuliffe taught school. I remember hearing the whole class was watching. I can't believe it has been that long already.

5. Handbag Lady

Handbag Lady Disneyland Bride 2000

I'll never forget that day as long as I live. I was in High School and our principal made a polite announcement over the PA system. Those of us in Journalism were allowed to go to our room and start re-doing the paper.

Our editor was able to contact the editor of Christa McAuliffe's school paper for an interview that same day.

It was weird.

Years later, I attended John Glenn's launch in 1998 and I just burst into tears once the shuttle was safe in orbit.

6. tigercat

tigercat <font color=magenta>Cook, clean and foot massage.

I'm from Canada and I remember it as well. I was watching it on TV and couldn't believe it when it happened.
    tigercat

7. disney junky

disney junky BWV

It's so hard to imagine it's been 27 years.

8. fortwildernessishome

fortwildernessishome DIS Veteran

I went to Concord High when Christa taught there. graduating in 1985. The entire city of Concord was filled with such joy when she was selected to be the first teacher in space. The day of the lift-off/explosion was horrific.......I couldnt believe it and held out hope that they had somehow survived.......I still get teary eyed when I see footage of that day.........so, so sad.

9. zurgswife

zurgswife WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is bett

I remember it vividly. I was at my Apt between classes watching. Afterwards I remember having to attend a Marketing class....weird to remember the details so vividly.

10. apirateslifeforme

apirateslifeforme <font color=coral>The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon<br><fo

I will never forget it. I was in 6th grade and we'd just come back in from recess. My teacher was in the hall with another teacher. He suddenly ran into the room and to the back, where we had a radio. His face was red, his eyes were huge. The boy sitting in the seat next to the classroom door had overheard them, and turned and blurted out, "The space shuttle blew up." We sat there in complete silence for quite a while, listening to that radio.

I just can't believe that it's been 27 years already.

11. Arenita

Arenita Are we there yet?

It's one of those moments you will never forget. I was at work. My coworker hung up her phone after speaking with her dad. Her words: "The Shuttle exploded and everyone is dead." So sad.

12. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

wow...I was really young but remember vividly.

13. Becky2005

Becky2005 <font color=darkorchid>I actually thought they mad

Hard to believe it's been that long. It is one of those events that you literally remember exactly what you were doing, etc....

I was in the locker room changing after gym and a girl bursts in telling us the shuttle had exploded. Now...every single one of us in the locker room thought she had lost her mind, that just wasn't something that happened. So, we just kept on doing what we were doing and then the minute we got out into the hallway you knew...the mood was just solemn.

We found out later they announced it on the PA system and had a moment of silence.

14. FergieTCat

FergieTCat <font color=green>No, I'm serious. And don't call

Yes, that's one of those events that's crystal clear in my memory.

15. MnMomtoboys

MnMomtoboys DIS Veteran

I was home sick with a sinus infection watching the Price is right. Such a horrific day.

16. snapppyd

snapppyd God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy

I was at my MIL's for dinner, she made veal roast. I remember they kept showing the smoke trail over and over and over.............

17. Tinijocaro

Tinijocaro DIS Veteran

I was in college in a string quartet rehearsal when I heard about it.

18. Hollymom1229

Hollymom1229 Art's Girl

I will never forget this day. My 2nd grade teacher had been one of the final candidates for the program and had known Christa McAuliffe. We had studied all things NASA for a week leading up to the launch. We were watching the liftoff in our classroom when it exploded. Our teacher burst into tears and ran from the room. Another teacher came in about a minute later and took over for the day. It was heartbreaking for a room of 7 and 8 year old kids.

19. Rylee

Rylee DIS Veteran

I vividly recall the feeling of not being able to trust my own eyes... trying to squint and blink really hard, to get a clearer picture. I just couldn't believe what I had seen. My mind knew what my eyes had just witnessed but it wouldn't allow it to register. Instant shock and denial, at first, followed by emptiness and deep sadness.

20. Jaya

Jaya DIS Veteran

I was standing in a field watching the launch and thought that NASA was doing some kind of secret maneuver. Then it rapidly sunk in that something was dreadfully, dreadfully wrong. Ran back inside and turned on the TV. What a tragedy.

21. disney1990

disney1990 <font color=royalblue>Wow, it make my heart skip a

I was home alone with my one year old watching the launch. Years later I learned that survived the explosion, but we were helpless to do anything to save them. So very sad.