$25.49 for a Monte Cristo sandwich at the Blue Bayou

I along with DH and DS7 had lunch at Blue Bayou Tuesday. due to the unique setting of BB this is the only table service meal of our 5 park days. We arrived at 11:00 to check in early for our 11:30 res and had a nice waterside table as requested. We ordered the Monte Christo and did the split plate for the extra $12 so that effectively made each plate $18. It was completely worth it and was more than enough food for the each of us. The gumbo was delicious. We have Cajun food regularly at a local restaurant where the chef grew up cooking in Louisiana and then went to French cooking school. BB gumbo was just as good. The sandwich was delicious and a treat. The potatoes were fabulous. Never had any quite like that before. DS had the child's grilled chicken and it was good. We also ordered a punch drink for the light pirate thing attached to the straw. DH wanted it. The bill was about $65plus tip. Was it expensive for lunch? Yes but it was our only big meal for the day. We had breakfast in the room and Jack in the Box for dinner. For us it was worth it for the experience and the meal was delicious. Would I do it every time? Maybe since my experience was very good. I just planned for this one splurge meal and did other things liking eating stuff in the room to save money.

You can get "Cristo Nuggets" at the STage Door Cafe, at the Mint Julep window (I believe) and back at the Thunder Mountain Ranch area (not the BBQ). It is the same Monte Cristo taste in small easy to enjoy nuggets. They even come with the Jelly. That's about all of a Monte Cristo I can handle anymore, and I usually share the nuggets, too. I know it's not eating in the BB. But it is the Monte Cristo, just in bite sized form.

Cristo Nuggets?? Holy cow how did I not know about this...sounds much more manageable..Thanks!
And as far as Disney being expensive, I have said often that I think it's a bargain. When you look at all you have surrounding you and all the activities and shows you get for the price of admission, for what can be 13+ hours of experiences, I think it is a true value. Some food is pricey but have you eaten anything at another theme park or fair? Have you wanted to buy a bottle of water at a concert? At Disney you can bring in food and drink and get free ice water. You don't have to spend a dime after walking through the turnstiles. A true bargain :)

As much as people like to conveniently forget it, Disney is still a business, not a charity. They charge $25 at Blue Bayou for a Monte Cristo because people will *pay* $25 for it. Disney is there to turn a profit. They will continue to raise prices until they reach a saturation point, and people will continue to fork over their hard-earned cash.

100% correct.
I am sometimes amazed at how people don't get this.
We don't have to like it, but it is reality.

I think they were only offered during the Golden Horseshoe Revue Limited Time Magic. I've heard rumors that they're gone now.

The Stage Door Cafe and Mint Julep Bar did not have the Cristo Nuggets the second weekend of Feb. I assume they havent returned yet

We eat at the Blue Bayou once during every visit. Ya, its expensive, but we know its going to be and besides we look at it as our splurge dinner that we always have so we save up for it. If your going to eat in the parks then its going to be more expensive than eating outside of the parks. Thats just the way it is and its just the way it has always been, no matter if it Disney, 6 flags, Universal Studios, or any other park.

This sandwich is guaranteed to taste 2.5x better than the one at your local brewpub...hence the 2.5x the price!

Plus your local brew pub won't refill your drinks and water every min or two, sit you by the water, throw in the best tasting gumbo on the planet, and overall have a unique atmosphere like no other.

Besides the 4 year old won't see prices, just eating at the Pirate Ride will be cool!!!!

The 4 year old won't be paying $25.50 for a sandwich either. :thumbsup2

OP it isn't just the sandwich, you're also paying for the ambiance and experience of eating inside the PotC ride. You're also getting rolls, soup or salad and sides with your meal. You can get the same sandwich at CO but you won't get any sides or the ambiance. We like to eat at both places, when we go to BB we all get a meal, when we go to CO I get the Gumbo and usually a small salad, DBF gets the MC, we share without asking for a split plate. If you want the sandwich go to CO, if you want the ambiance go to BB.

In my "everyday real" life:

$25 for a sandwich?! No way!

In my "we only go to Disneyland once every 2-3 years after budgeting and saving to have a magical vacation having fun and playing with our kids and saving my birthday money to have lunch at the Blue Bayou" life:

$150 for lunch enjoyed INSIDE the POTC ride we all love so much, having a legendary Disneyland Monte Cristo sandwich, sitting on the verandah of a stately house strung with paper lanterns, watching the boats float down the bayou, listening to the banjo and watching the fireflies in the twilight and seeing the wonder of it all in my children's eyes? Worth every single penny!!! When we can get to DL again this meal will be budgeted right in to our trip. pirate:

This exactly

We have reservations for dinner one night at cafe orleans and lunch at blue bayou a different day. There are all kinds of things that are a better deal than at DL, but there is only ONE Disneyland and one Blue Bayou! I have better turkey legs at a better price at a Renaissance Fair. I have seen much better roller coasters at amusement parks. However, the whole package keeps us coming back and spending what they charge. DL reminds me of the monologue at the end of Field of Dreams. Just substitute references to baseball and it is how i feel about DL.

DL reminds me of the monologue at the end of Field of Dreams. Just substitute references to baseball and it is how i feel about DL.

Field of Dreams is one of my favorites and I knew the monologue but Googled it just so I could read the whole thing while substituting Iowa/Baseball for Disney/Main Street, etc. references. I have to say that was a great analogy. I copied and pasted the monologue below. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that. I have to say I agree. :thumbsup2

Ray. People will come, Ray. They’ll come to Iowa for reasons they can’t even fathom. They’ll turn into your driveway, not knowing for sure why they’re doing it. They’ll arrive at your door, as innocent as children, longing for the past. “Of course, we won’t mind if you look around,” you’ll say, “It’s only twenty dollars per person.” And they’ll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they’ll walk off to the bleachers and sit in their short sleeves on a perfect afternoon. And find they have reserved seats somewhere along the baselines where they sat when they were children. And cheer their heroes. And they’ll watch the game, and it’ll be as they’d dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they’ll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Ray. The one constant through all the years Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It’s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come

The 4 year old won't be paying $25.50 for a sandwich either. :thumbsup2

OP it isn't just the sandwich, you're also paying for the ambiance and experience of eating inside the PotC ride. You're also getting rolls, soup or salad and sides with your meal. You can get the same sandwich at CO but you won't get any sides or the ambiance. We like to eat at both places, when we go to BB we all get a meal, when we go to CO I get the Gumbo and usually a small salad, DBF gets the MC, we share without asking for a split plate. If you want the sandwich go to CO, if you want the ambiance go to BB.

How do you just order the gumbo and a small salad? I would love to do that but I didn't think that was an option. One MC is more than enough for me and my DD... I would like to be able to find a lighter option.

How do you just order the gumbo and a small salad? I would love to do that but I didn't think that was an option. One MC is more than enough for me and my DD... I would like to be able to find a lighter option.

Both are on the menu as stand alone items, it's a bowl of the gumbo (which I adore) and the mixed greens salad, not necessarily the cheaper choice but definitely a lighter option. :)

Does anyone know what the full menu is at Blue Bayou, you know, one that includes appetizers, sides, kids.

This one is far from complete: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/dining/menus-detail.cfm?restaurant.id=517

Actually, Sammy, there are no appetizers or side choices on the menu for Blue Bayou.

All entrees come with your choice of salad or gumbo and are served with Blue Bayou potatoes and vegetables. There are no appetizers.

I cannot link to the kid's menu, but the options are:

Roasted Beef Strip Loin - Child portion Beef Strip Loin served with roasted potatoes. $12.99

Chicken Breast - with spaghetti topped with marinara sauce. $8.99

Seared Salmon Filet - Served with Spaghetti. $8.99

Mickey's Cheesy Macaroni - Yummy noodles with creamy Cheddar cheese sauce. $8.49

Both are on the menu as stand alone items, it's a bowl of the gumbo (which I adore) and the mixed greens salad, not necessarily the cheaper choice but definitely a lighter option. :)

The menu on this site is not accurate- it only lists one item for lunch and the Disney site is a "sample" menu meaning it might or might not be accurate lol! Do you know if there is a place to see these stand alone items? My girls aren't going to love the food no matter what, so if there are more options than what the Disney menu lists it would be nice to see them :)

Sammy Cat: this is a little better- http://disneyland.disney.go.com/med...Type/Dining/Menus/BlueBayouLunch_20110602.pdf

The menu on this site is not accurate- it only lists one item for lunch and the Disney site is a "sample" menu meaning it might or might not be accurate lol! Do you know if there is a place to see these stand alone items? My girls aren't going to love the food no matter what, so if there are more options than what the Disney menu lists it would be nice to see them :)

Sammy Cat: this is a little better- http://disneyland.disney.go.com/med...Type/Dining/Menus/BlueBayouLunch_20110602.pdf

The menus on Disney's site are accurate. The only thing not shown is the desserts. It says "sample menu" so that if the menu changes or something isn't available on the day you are there, you can't say, "But your menu online says...." (Generic you, not YOU. :) )

- Dreams

The menus on Disney's site are accurate. The only thing not shown is the desserts. It says "sample menu" so that if the menu changes or something isn't available on the day you are there, you can't say, "But your menu online says...." (Generic you, not YOU. :) )

- Dreams

Thanks- I know they say that to let themselves do say seasonal or holiday changes- good to know it is accurate :) I appreciate the the quick response- I don't care if it the most expensive sandwich I will ever order- I am so excited to eat inside the coolest ride :cool1:

I don't think you can see these dishes at the restaurant before ordering but they should be listed on the outside menu when you walk up. The Gumbo is the same Gumbo you get at BB but not the same Gumbo you get at the little walk up place by PotC, it's the best Gumbo, I just love it. lol The salad is mixed field greens with raspberry vinagrette, candied walnuts and I want to say Feta Cheese. It has been a while since we've eaten at CO though so that might have changed.

I don't think you can see these dishes at the restaurant before ordering but they should be listed on the outside menu when you walk up. The Gumbo is the same Gumbo you get at BB but not the same Gumbo you get at the little walk up place by PotC, it's the best Gumbo, I just love it. lol The salad is mixed field greens with raspberry vinagrette, candied walnuts and I want to say Feta Cheese. It has been a while since we've eaten at CO though so that might have changed.

Thank you! pixiedust:

I so agree about Legoland. We paid for 1 day a couple of years ago and they had a promotion where you could go for 5 days...so not worth it with the slow pace of rides. They have signs that say Parents wait and Kids play. So true. If I am paying that much, I want to play too.

I agree. The ticket prices are exorbitant then te food and so forth. There are so many people who will not be able to go because of the ticket prices. Although you do get an experience. It cost 80 bucks to get into legoland and it definitely was not eighty bucks worth!

I agree. The ticket prices are exorbitant then te food and so forth. There are so many people who will not be able to go because of the ticket prices. Although you do get an experience. It cost 80 bucks to get into legoland and it definitely was not eighty bucks worth!

I so agree about Legoland. We paid for 1 day a couple of years ago and they had a promotion where you could go for 5 days...so not worth it with the slow pace of rides. They have signs that say Parents wait and Kids play. So true. If I am paying that much, I want to play too.

I also agree that Legoland is far more expensive than it's worth, BUT, some people probably find it to be a fair price. That's how I feel about Disneyland. Some people think it's obscenely expensive, but when you compare it to like attractions or forms of entertainment, you get a LOT of bang for your buck!

For example, one thing I love doing is going to shows in Vegas. For my husband and I to enjoy O by Cirque de Soleil in the very cheapest seats is nearly $400 for about 90 minutes of show. That makes Disneyland look like a bargain, doesn't it? BUT, there are plenty of people, myself included, that will pay that amount to see O (as is evidenced by the fact that shows frequently sell out), so clearly many people do see the value in that price. As a competing example, many people pay $200 to swim with dolphins for 25 minutes. I personally find that to be too expensive and wouldn't pay it, but many people do it and enjoy it. That is one example where I have made a decision that the payoff is not worth it for ME, so I choose not to pay for it.

There's no federal obligation to visit Disneyland, or a Vegas show, or to swim with dolphins. The people grumbling about how much it costs are not being forced to go. It's not like gas prices raising when we need to drive to get to work. If you want a luxury item, you have to pay for it, and so long as there are still MANY people willing to pay, ECON 101 says they can continue to increase their price. People are free to spend their money in any way they like to get the best return *for them* on their investment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter