24-Hour Day 2015 Tips

So after massive amounts of coffee & sugar we are crashing so we are headed back to our room to get some rest. 16.5 hours. Close but no dice. Maybe next year.

Also as we were leaving out just now (10:40pm we are standing in line for bus) there was a huge influx of people coming into Magic Kingdom. And when I say it was a huge crowd I mean it looked like a rope drop crowd during mid summer coming in

So after massive amounts of coffee & sugar we are crashing so we are headed back to our room to get some rest. 16.5 hours. Close but no dice. Maybe next year.

Also as we were leaving out just now (10:40pm we are standing in line for bus) there was a huge influx of people coming into Magic Kingdom. And when I say it was a huge crowd I mean it looked like a rope drop crowd during mid summer coming in
Great effort anyway!:)

Getting in all the people coming in from the other parks. The line for the MK buses leaving HS were massive

So,we arrived at 5:30am and stayed until 3am. 21 hours in the park is not had! I feel bad for my youngest DS because he wanted to mark that off his bucket list.. that will just give us an excuse to do it again :)
We rode everything except pooh, and we're not impressed with the cupcake. We saw people coming in to the park when we left, so not sure about reaching capacity but it didn't seem to be an issue. We had such a good time and met some awesome people.

Hey guys. My stroller and all our stuff was stolen outside CoP last night. My heart just hurts. We thought it was an accident but no one turned it in. I'm so sick over it. Nothing was of value to anyone but us so I don't know why they wouldn't turn it in. But I'm just sick.

So we didn't nearly accomplish 24 Hours, but it was still fun! Lessons learned: 1) I overestimated my DS7's abilities and he was pretty unhappy. Even with rest time, all the walking and the heat wore him out. DH took him back at midnight.
2) I think I would have rolled the dice for some earlier FPs, with the hopes of getting more. I saved all of ours for night time - then it stormed, then DS7 "stormed" and it didn't quite work as planned.
3) All that being said, I must say I LOVED having a FP for Wishes!!! It was so nice and relaxing. It was not packed in at all, we could all see the show. And, I got to meet @StLDisFan, which was pretty cool too.:wave: (I've never met another Dis'er.)
4) I didn't have a real strategy for riding; I wanted to sort of take it easy. And I kept thinking, "We have LOTS of time." I definitely overestimated on that as well. I think the combination of not having a touring strategy and having tired kids right from the start, we really didn't get to see & do as much as I thought we would. But as I type, I realize I could have gotten more done if we had been able to stay past 2am. But DS17 and DS9 were pooped. I thought about going back by myself, but I decided against it. My inner voice was telling me to stay and get some rest, and so I did.
5) I *think* if I were to do it again, with my kids in tow, I would have sent DS17 and DS9 off by themselves to ride some of the thrill rides, taken DS7 to do rides/character meets with him, watched shows, parades and/or dance parties. Then gone back to resort at some point, put kids to bed in the care of DS17, and go back with DH for the overnight! Flame me if you wish, but I love park time w / just DH and me!!!

Thee were so many things I wish we could have enjoyed, but the heat and humidity - UGH! o_O I do NOT know how people manage to enjoy a vacation there in July and August! I lived in Orlando for two years, and it can just be miserable. So kudos to you people who do that!!!

I did get to ride 7DMT for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. No, it isn't a "thrill" ride, but it is fun and beautifully done. THAT is what I hope for/expect from a Disney ride! (I'm looking at you Under The Sea!)

And we loved staying at POR!!! Definitely will stay there again.

This has been a fun thread, and I'll miss it!!! Maybe we'll "meet" again for the next 24-hour event.

Sorry this was a rambling post!

DS and myself stayed from 6 am to 2 am when he hit the wall and begged to go to bed. He is disabled and honestly deep down I am surprised he lasted that long, especially with the heat and crowds. He probably could have made it had I gotten him to CoP earlier for a power nap. He did nap during Hall of Presidents. Other DS remained the full 24 hours.
- Park Opening Welcome big disappointment. Frozen characters doing the same deal as any other day. Really had hoped for some effort.
- Had Beast Castle for Breakfast and Plaza for late dinner. Lots of snacking in between gave us some energy, rest, phone charging and A/C.
- Brought change of shirts so that felt good to switch over given the heat - which was worse than any other May trip for us.
- Went to Monster University 24 Hour Party and felt this party was WAY WAY more crowded but seemed most people were just wandering around, clogging up paths and lots of eating (good for Disney).
- Surprised by how many people in park had no idea it was a 24 hour day, but at same time could understand even once there because other than signs at each attraction about closing at 4:30 am etc, there was nothing happening that made the day special. Frozen cupcakes and float, not different or a big deal.
- Disney Channel gang was in about 3-4 cars at beginning of parade and given the few claps or squeals seemed like no one had any idea who they were.
- Theme was a huge letdown and really it felt no different than any other Extra Magic Hour Day. Disney really made this party an afterthought to DL.
- Olaf sipper cup super cute but again, it can be sold at DHS during Summer Frozen Fun.
- Special cupcakes were cute but tasted like any other grocery cupcake so they were overpriced.
- Plaza had the Monster U special sundae but this year was not selling the Frozen (ice cream shop was).
- Had pre-purchased our party tshirts and even though sounds like they may have close to sold out at park - saw few wearing them.
- HOT HOT HOT, kudo to the few who were wearing costumes. The percentage dressed up was small.
- Over by CoP was a chalk painter. If you didn't happen upon not sure you would know it.
- BAD storm on radar coming in around 10:30 pm closed all outdoor rides. Luckily we were eating during most of the closure but it did create a backup of lines and we didn't complete all our rides by midnight as hoped.
- Think the storm delayed the Frozen Sing A Long movie, but no big deal.
- Very surprised when we left at 2 am the folks still pouring in, even families with young children. Not sure rides got to walk on at 3:30 am (when they stopped FP) as Disney said they would be - at one point at end for us I think Peter Pan was 120 minutes. At regular EMH, PP has been walk on.
- I imagine the best part of the entire night was going to be the party at 4 am in front of castle leading to the good night with the characters. Wish I could have been there for that, may have felt different about the night. Having done before that is very cool.

While it would have been my plan to attend all the 24 Hour Parties (last year we had a wedding to go to) - I'm not so sure now if this is all the effort Disney is going to do. They missed the boat for WDW. I get it for DL and it's really special celebration - but WOW WOW, so glad I wasn't there, what a nightmare. DS said they had the perfect theme for WDW - Very Merry UN-Birthday Party with the Alice characters hosting. Un-birthday vs DL birthday. So much lost potential by just making it a kickoff for a repeat of Summer Fun at DHS. Unless they come up with fab plans for another not sure I'll bother given the crowds and heat. It really was just Extra Magic Hours for everyone.

So awful your stroller/stuff were stolen, TandLMommy28 - that must have really been upsetting....

@HopperFan - I agree with you in that there wasn't any really "special" feel to the night. It was special to us because we knew we'd be there as long as we could make it. But there weren't any decorations or unique characters and such to make it seem extra-special.

I have never been to a MNSSHP or other 24-hour day, but I felt like lots of people were dressed up or were Disney-bounding. And, I agree, big props to those who did dress in costume! I was already a hot mess by 10am; I would have been a puddle in a costume!

@HopperFan - I agree with you in that there wasn't any really "special" feel to the night. It was special to us because we knew we'd be there as long as we could make it. But there weren't any decorations or unique characters and such to make it seem extra-special.

I have never been to a MNSSHP or other 24-hour day, but I felt like lots of people were dressed up or were Disney-bounding. And, I agree, big props to those who did dress in costume! I was already a hot mess by 10am; I would have been a puddle in a costume!

I think that was what it boiled down to - it was a bucket list kind of thing, last 24 hours straight in the MK, do every attraction. It really wasn't a celebration or party. You are right, I didn't see ONE unique character. It sorely lacked any kind of party atmosphere - it didn't have to be much, but it felt like they decided a week ago .. "Let's do a 24 hour party, we need a theme - wait there is some frozen stuff in the warehouse - bake some cupcakes - have all the CMs signed up to work - A&E can open the park and we'll make it long extra magic hours for everyone. Great, done, we have a plan." It could have been any given day.

We do MNSSHP twice a year - you want to see people dressed up? - now that is a party with lots of costuming. I laughed at myself, I really didn't notice the Disney Bounding because that has become an everyday thing anymore. A way to go to Disney "in costume" in a way that is Disney-legal. Yes, I was puddling right there with you early on.

Great effort anyway!:)
Yes! It was super fun and gives us reason to do it again. Each year we've been able to make it a little longer

Getting in all the people coming in from the other parks. The line for the MK buses leaving HS were massive
This makes sense! I don't know why I didn't think of that last night when my girls asked me about it

We were at last year's party and it was amazing, this year's did not have the same feel. I don't know I had built up my expectations too high but it was a bit of a let down. Dance parties did not see have the same atmosphere as last year, lots of the headline rides closed around 4am.

My niece and I had the Dopey shirts from DL and it got us talking to a few people in lines.

The rain at 11pm messed with a bunch of stuff and as much as we like to think Disney has a weather dome over MK, there are things it cannot control. I also saw someone else mention maybe Disney really focused on DL this year for the 60th, I know I will still be @ 24 hour day in 2016.

I am sure many didn't care about the disney channel kids, but my niece was smiling ear to ear when they drove by, people she watches on tv just a few feet away. But when we saw some of them this morning filming at the boardwalk, I wonder if Disney wanted to do some filming in Orlando and decided that they could use them as a "special" part of the event and it doesn't cost them much more money.

Also, for the poster comparing 24 hour day to MNSSHP, 24 hour day is included in the price of a normal day, @ $105 for 24 hours, it is $4.375 per hour to be in the MK. MNSSHP is a separate ticket that goes from 7p - midnight, if the park opens at 9am, it would be $105 for 9am - 7pm then $68 for 7p - midnight; or $8.23 per hour, so double the price. So I do not expect special decorations like you get as separately ticketed parties.

Last edited:
We were at last year's party and it was amazing, this year's did not have the same feel. I don't know I had built up my expectations too high but it was a bit of a let down. Dance parties did not see have the same atmosphere as last year, lots of the headline rides closed around 4am.

My niece and I had the Dopey shirts from DL and it got us talking to a few people in lines.

The rain at 11pm messed with a bunch of stuff and as much as we like to think Disney has a weather dome over MK, there are things it cannot control. I also saw someone else mention maybe Disney really focused on DL this year for the 60th, I know I will still be @ 24 hour day in 2016.

I am sure many didn't care about the disney channel kids, but my niece was smiling ear to ear when they drove by, people she watches on tv just a few feet away. But when we saw some of them this morning filming at the boardwalk, I wonder if Disney wanted to do some filming in Orlando and decided that they could use them as a "special" part of the event and it doesn't cost them much more money.

Also, for the poster comparing 24 hour day to MNSSHP, 24 hour day is included in the price of a normal day, @ $105 for 24 hours, it is $4.375 per hour to be in the MK. MNSSHP is a separate ticket that goes from 7p - midnight, if the park opens at 9am, it would be $105 for 9am - 7pm then $68 for 7p - midnight; or $8.23 per hour, so double the price. So I do not expect special decorations like you get as separately ticketed parties.

We were not at last year's but did go to the Monster U and there was a totally different feel to it.
- Monster U had an overall Monster feel throughout the night.
- Mike & Sully were there for a Meet & Greet in their letter jackets - where was Olaf or the others ... on an existing float that was too big for just a few chacters.
- The snacks were the same as this year BUT they were something new and unusual while Frozen is an every day item you can already buy.
- Dance parties were more plentiful at the Monster U event. Last night's special dance parties started at 2 am.
- Everything seemed to be recycled from a normal day or already existing Frozen thing. No creativity, no new theme.
- Why not play off the DL theme or why not the "Inside Out" gang like the buttons they were handing out. Monster U promoted a movie, last year promoted Maleficent with the Hero/Villain theme.

Frozen doesn't bother me, I don't mind the offering in the parks or the merchandise ... but its time to stop it being a theme as if it's something new or special - it's not either anymore. Making this a Frozen Party just after they made the Christmas Party a Frozen Party just before the start of DHS's Frozen Summer event is just too much. They had options, they got lazy.

I think the poster asking about comparing to the MNSSHP was doing so to compare those in costume at that vs last night - not any of the extras. MNSSHP ticket prices are for the treats, special shows, special parade and special fireworks- and limited capacity. There are very few MNSSHP decorations put up for the party, most of the decor has been out all day long. Disney does offer lots of special stuff/decor on normal days like Food & Wine, Flower & Garden etc. Granted they are extended periods of time but given Disney's prop warehouse they could have come up with some great setups for photo ops, stage decor etc without much effort and cost.

I think I wanted to agree with most of the sentiments it just came off as giving Disney excuses, it could have and should have been better, but I still had a great time. This morning is a different story, everything is sore. Does anyone have a fitness routine for 24 hour day, I need to start training for next year.

Also, something my niece and I did last year and again this year was to try to really thank cast members for working the event. Sure, it is their job, but many of them were pulling 14 hour shifts of rude cranky people. I heard other people around me doing the same and you could tell it really seemed to help them out a bit. Just a simple " thank you for working so early this morning" and letting them know we appreciate them really seemed to go a long way. Quite a few times we got a thanks from cast members for recognizing the work they were putting in.

Me and friends made it the whole time and had a great time! We met all the princesses ( longest we waited was 20 minutes for Anna and Elsa), we got accidental cupcakes at Be Our Guest and had an AWESOME time!! My friend's sister about had a freak out we were waiting at CP for dinner and Callum (Dez) passed, she managed to get a selfie with him, which just about made her DIE as until she showed to the airport on Thursday she didn't know she was going. There will be a trip report written there were some great moments and some not great.

Now have to get ready to go home, disappointment has already started....I just want one more day ( not a 24hr days just a normal day)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter