2016 Wine and Dine Concerns

mhowens

Let's go to Disney!
Hi all! I am planning the DLH and W&D in 2016 for my C2C & 40th birthday celebration . Does anyone else have concerns or even information about about the W&D 2016 due to all the changes at DHS? I ran the W&D in 2011 so I know the course involves DHS.

For 2016 the course is obviously going to have to change,I would be shocked if they were to cancel the race,its just too popular.The ToT 10 miler was cancelled due to construction but unlike W&D they're building a new theater right where the finish line used to be for ToT.I would think they could find a new route for the runners to run into and out of DHS,if this cuts some of the distance of the run I would think they could make up for it by later running around the World Showcase inside Epcot as the current route does not go around WS.

Like @DOOM1001 said ... the race sold out COMPLETELY in something crazy like 32 minutes this year. With the way they keep expanding Food & Wine Festival, there's no way they'd do away with one of the signature events of the festival. I'm actually looking forward to 2016 because I feel optimistic that it will be a completely different course!

I think it will stay, course may change, but WDW needs to keep a fall race around (would be nice to see another added back in too). With Coast to Coast they have to options for people throughout the year.

Thank you guys! I was thinking the same thing but I am so excited about going for my C2C in 2016 and the DL Half and W&D are the two races I really want to do. We ran the W&D in 2011 and have been wanting to do it again!

I think they might end up running us through AK to make up for the lost miles at DHS. Just personal opinion but you typically just go through the AK parking lot. They can get an extra 5K out of AK park so they can make up miles there. Especially since Avatar should be close to finish if not already open by then.

I think they might end up running us through AK to make up for the lost miles at DHS. Just personal opinion but you typically just go through the AK parking lot.

We ran through AK last year. Not a huge amount, but in the dark and on those paths it didn't feel that safe! Getting to, through, and all the way out of AK property was 6 miles...I can't imagine wanting to spend MORE time there LOL.

We ran through AK last year. Not a huge amount, but in the dark and on those paths it didn't feel that safe! Getting to, through, and all the way out of AK property was 6 miles...I can't imagine wanting to spend MORE time there LOL.

I'll admit I don't even remember last year. All the rain was ridiculous and I think I cried the whole time. I thought we just ran through the car entry and around the entrance through the parking lot but now that you mention I do remember I lost my natural pain reliever pills in the AK bathrooms!

AK is already part of the wine and dine course. My guess is that they may fine a way to add something at wide world of sports at the beginning and shortening the time at DHS. I have no idea where I heard it hut I thought I heard that the new Star Wars wdw race might be the reverse of wine and dine. If so, they could add world showcase to the beginning of that race but DH and I aren't sure you could run around the world showcase with the party going on at the end of the race

In the first year/s of the W&D they finished back near World Showcase rather than in the front of Epcot. That distance was made up for by having an out and back loop before making the turn toward DHS.

I suspect that any of the route that they have to shorten in DHS will be made up there.

I would be pretty surprised if they completely canceled the race given its extreme popularity and the added cash cow of the after party.

I only did the inaugural race but we ran all the way around AK, not just through the parking lot. Did they shorten the AK portion?

Like others I really don't see them cancelling this event. It is the best RunDisney race IMO when you factor in the ability to be in Epcot until 3:00am celebrating. There is an awful lot of property so making up for places they have to cut shouldn't be too hard.

Happy to hear all the positive responses! I think you guys are correct, they will just modify the course some...I am thinking adding some at the beginning or middle to the WWOS portion. I really enjoyed the TOT race last year and hope it makes a comeback when DHS is complete.

I'm also planning to run W&D 2016. I haven't run it yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I did run TOT last year and loved it. I hope it comes back in the future.

I'll admit I don't even remember last year. All the rain was ridiculous and I think I cried the whole time. I thought we just ran through the car entry and around the entrance through the parking lot but now that you mention I do remember I lost my natural pain reliever pills in the AK bathrooms!

I'm pretty sure I cried the whole time too. The rain washed it all away LOL.

I ran a 10K on Sunday with a steady drizzle the whole time. I got caught in one puddle. And I was so relatively miserable, and that one puddle weighed down my shoe so much (same shoes as for W&D), and I couldn't imagine how I did that Half! I did have my best friend with me, which helped, but wow. Misery. And when it stopped raining for that 15 minutes during W&D? I was in the bathroom at DHS! I missed the window of dryness entirely!

I'm pretty sure I cried the whole time too. The rain washed it all away LOL.

I ran a 10K on Sunday with a steady drizzle the whole time. I got caught in one puddle. And I was so relatively miserable, and that one puddle weighed down my shoe so much (same shoes as for W&D), and I couldn't imagine how I did that Half! I did have my best friend with me, which helped, but wow. Misery. And when it stopped raining for that 15 minutes during W&D? I was in the bathroom at DHS! I missed the window of dryness entirely!

I slipped off a curb after retying my water logged shoe, had lady issues, and left my all natural pain reliever in a bathroom. So I was having non-running related cramps, a swollen ankle, and chafing like crazy from all the wet gear. I was so miserable. This year is going to have a massive mental block for me to overcome.

Funny thing I went out to DL for Avengers the next week and could you believe it I did my fastest miles ever and just thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was the completely opposite and the only tears were happy tears.

Last edited:
The reports from last year do sound miserable. I've done halves in light rain and shorter races in heavy rain but I wear racing flats in the shorter races so they don't get very waterlogged. I'd rather do another 90 degree hilly half then run in that kind of rain.

wilkeliza, been there done that with the lady issues! Seattle Half last November and, hmm, last Sunday's 10K, both on day 1. Thanks, universe. Appreciate it.

Someday I have to do W&D again, jsut to go to the afterparty! It was soooo miserable afterwards that my friend and I didn't go. I said "it wouldn't be fun if we didn't go", and she said "what part of THIS would be fun?" And I agreed. (now I don't, actually...I wish we had gone and been miserable)

Helpful hint! If it's raining during a nighttime race in a not-so-lit area, and you see a CM standing there calling something out, you might as well just assume that they are desperately trying to tell you about a massive puddle. So just move. Don't go closer, trying to hear, without moving. Because you will find out that she was, in fact, trying to warn everyone of a massive puddle, and you will find it out as you stomp into that massive puddle. At mile 5. Of a Half.

I was wearing shorts that perhaps had fit better before, and was wearing a different water-bottle belt, and the combo was pulling the shorts up. I had to stop at the first aid station for vaseline. Rain, sweat, and vaseline higher on the thighs than normal doesn't feel great. (feels better than chafing, though!)

Ah, good times, good times, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!