2016 - Jennifer's January Jaunt! Pre-Trip Report

Trixie15

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I've been reading trip reports and pre-trip reports and it's gotten me excited to try one again. Last year my family took a trip to Orlando in January and I started a Pre/Trip Report and got as far as almost to WDW before it got crazy and I never went back to finish it.

I admit it - I'm a prior trip report failure!

But this time I hope it will be different.

Who am I? Here's a picture:
IMG_2848_zpslpov04jg.jpg

I'm the one in the middle. Everyone say, "Hi, Mom!"

My name is Jennifer and this picture is from last January's vacation. We hadn't been on a vacation of any kind since 2009 and we had a fantastic time, with a couple of exceptions: one of my daughters was pretty newly out of a cast for a broken ankle requiring surgery - she maneuvered through the parks in a wheelchair pushed mostly by me. She's normally very active, so having her mobility limited was hard on her. The wheelchair came in handy to get me to First Aid that trip when I fell and sprained my own ankle on the 3rd day, on which I hobbled around painfully for the rest of our vacation. We really needed the time together and it was very much appreciated.

Everyone else had a great time, and I put on a brave face, sucked it up, and kept going -- because they wouldn't go without me. I wrapped the foot, iced it when possible, kept it elevated at night, loaded up on ibuprofen (I'm not one to take meds usually so this is big for me.) It's been 8 months and my ankle still isn't like it was before I fell.

Truthfully, I was in a lot of pain on that vacation. I didn't get to do a lot of things that I wanted to do, and that the rest of the family did without me. I rode what I could reasonably stand in line for. Bracing my legs against the ride cars hurt my ankle. I never did ride BTMRailroad. Thankfully it doesn't require a healthy ankle to enjoy the many restaurants, parades, shows, etc. available at the parks. So I found plenty to do and even discovered some things I'd never done before like the Sorcerers of the Kingdom cards. My son and I played several rounds of the game that trip since he's not a fan of the faster rides - he and I hung out while the other kids and my husband rode those.

I'm ready to go back even though my ankle isn't fully recovered. I've been walking and stretching and doing exercises to get it strengthened for the miles that walking through WDW entails.

Oh, one little thing. See all of those other people in the photo above? They're not coming with me this time.

pixiedust:IT'S MY FIRST EVER SOLO TRIP! pixiedust:
Next: [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/january-2016-a-trip-to-be-remembered.3450948/#post-54489875"]Table of Contents[/URL]

Last edited:
My Weight Loss Journey

It's a long time coming, but I've finally found the proper motivation to lose some weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle.

You: "What is the motivation?"
Me: "Flying to Orlando!"

You see - I'm not entirely sure that, as it stands right now, I will fit in an airline seat. I don't mean that I will be uncomfortable in the seat. I'm talking full-on humiliation at the airport counter or on the plane and being forced to purchase a second seat. I think that would break me. So another reason for posting this pre-trip report is the accountability of doing what I need to do - not just for this trip, but for my own healthy lifestyle so that I'll be around to watch my kids grow up and be able to be a part of my grandkids' lives, you know, 40 years from now when my kids will be allowed to get married and have kids (ha ha).

Seriously, being very very overweight is awful. I'm sure it's contributing to how well my ankle is/isn't healing. It prohibits me from doing a lot of things that I'd love to do. I'd love to be very active and physically fit but it's so hard to get moving when you're big. I do the best I can but I can't keep up with my kids and I am tired of sitting out on fun stuff because I just can't physically do things. The only thing to really be thankful about right now is that aside from the weight I'm relatively healthy. My cholesterol is too high for sure. Blood pressure just on the upper edge of normal. HA1C in normal range.

Having a place to come and journal about this part of my journey is just as important to me as having a place to write about which rides, attractions, characters, and meals I've enjoyed once I actually get there. A place like this that is so full of joy and excitement is bound to help me stay motivated!

I don't have a lot of time before my trip - just a little over 100 days. But I'm figuring that anything I accomplish on this Weight Loss Journey will absolutely make my Solo Adventure that much easier and more fun when it comes around.

10/5/15 ***Total weight loss: 5.4 pounds***

Next: Monday Weight Loss Progress - 9/28/15

Last edited:
My Weight Loss Journey
***Monday Progress Report 9/28/15***

I've been keeping track of calories using My Fitness Pal for a few days now. I bought some healthier options on my last grocery trip and it's paying off. My new favorite breakfast is a whole grain English muffin, a tablespoon of Sunbutter, and a gala apple. I put some of the Sunbutter on the muffin and save some for the apple. At 280 calories, it's a great meal.

Weight loss this week: 2.4 pounds
Total weight loss: 2.4 pounds

I'm 1 pound away from a new number in the ten's digit spot.

Goals: Hit that new ten's digit number. Keep tracking everything even if it pushes me over the calorie goal, just to get into the habit of tracking everything. Try to get some exercise every day if possible.

Next: The Five W's

Last edited:

The Five W's

Who?

Like I said before, my name is Jennifer. My husband's name is Tyler and we have 4 great kids. I recently went back to work after being home with the kids for more than a decade. It's been an interesting transition, for sure. I work a lot of hours (way more than full-time hours most weeks) even though I was only hired to work 20 hours per week. I'll take the overtime pay, even though it's hard being away from the family so much. The money has been an amazing thing for our family.

6e859d3f-65b0-4cce-8b58-e179de62685f_zpsynq2wcf9.jpg

I like a variety of things - reading, photography, gardening, sewing, computer tech stuff, traveling, cooking. I like 'the idea' of other things - like camping, rock-wall climbing, fishing, surfing, auto mechanics, painting, tap dancing, and more. They are things I'd love to either spend more time doing, learn how to do, be fit enough to do, or just plain have no ability to do (I can't paint worth a darn!)

My favorite Disney character is Eeyore. Or Captain Jack Sparrow. Or maybe Mary Poppins! Oh, the Cheshire Cat - he's up there on the list. I think my favorite Disney movies are The Rescuers, Tangled, and Lady and the Tramp. My favorite park is the Magic Kingdom followed very closely by Epcot. My favorite ride is a toss-up between Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Expedition Everest. Wow it was really hard to pick favorites - I like them ALL!

What?

It's an 11 day, 10 night SOLO trip to Walt Disney World! I have 10 day park hopper tickets. I intend to make the most of all available time at the parks but we'll see how my ankle holds out.

I struggled with whether or not to use the dining plan, especially as a solo diner. I eventually decided to go with it and booked the regular dining plan (1 TS, 1 QS, 1 Snack). There are things I want to try that won't be included in the plan; I'll just pay out of pocket for them. I had tallied it up and it looks like I'll come out ahead by using the dining plan versus paying out of pocket for everything. There's just too much I want to try.

I've also been working on a Disney Bucket List, which I'll talk about later.

When?

I'll be flying into Orlando early on January 24th and flying back out late in the evening February 3rd. This is my first time flying to Disney - we have always driven. I considered driving this time, too, but the thought of two long days on the road - each way - versus three short hours on a plane each way was a no-brainer when it came right down to it. More time at the World!

We've been to Disney a few times. I lived in FL for part of my high school years and we went as a family a couple of times and with the marching band a couple of times. When Tyler and I got married, we went to Disneyworld for our honeymoon and had so much fun! I'd love to go back with just him for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2017! We'll see how that goes.

We took the kids for the first time in May of 2008 and went back in May of 2009 with my extended family. I did all of the planning for these two trips - in fact that's how I found the Dis! I joined in January of 2007 when we decided we wanted to take the family vacation in 2008. Here we are in 2009:

46f4820c-d5a0-4e0d-8e2d-55185d9132c3_zpsvixd68ts.jpg

Years passed, and the kids were getting pretty old - except for my son. We realized that the two times he'd been before, he was just a baby (he was only 2-1/2 when we went in 2009.) So we started thinking that since he was 8 now, he'd probably like to go. So that was our January 2015 trip. Here's another shot of us in 2015:

d5b6ddc0-bda7-4ca9-a703-910538f295e1_zpsf5mnxysx.jpg

Where?

I'll be staying at Pop Century which is a first for me. I really wanted to stay at Caribbean Beach Resort but couldn't justify the cost since it's just me and I don't typically spend much time at the hotel. I had originally booked All-Stars Movies but when the Stay, Play, Dine discounts came out I realized that Movies was excluded.

I've also considered going to Universal Studios on the one day that I don't have tickets to WDW. I haven't really decided yet. I know I won't be able to ride many of the coasters there, but I would love to see the Harry Potter lands; I could scope out Universal and see if I think the kids would like it for a family vacation at some point in the next couple of years. It's a pretty good possibility that I will do this - if I can figure out how to get from WDW to Universal. I've been pushing around the idea of renting a car but it's expensive to have one for the whole stay. Uber, taxi ... all are options.

I've also considered upgrading to include the water parks since the cost to do so it way cheaper than a one-day ticket. One of the water parks will be closed while I'm there but the other one would be just as fun. I love the lazy river and the wave pools. But I haven't decided yet and am leaning toward no.

Why?

I love planning Disney trips. In fact, I sometimes plan fake ones just for the fun of it. I love reading pre-trip and post-trip reports and dining reviews, looking at other people's pictures, etc.. I started dreaming of taking a Disneyworld vacation by myself a few years ago but could never justify it. A couple of years ago, Tyler and his friends organized a fishing trip for their group of work friends and I got to thinking ... why not? Why can't I go somewhere by myself? So I started dreaming. At first, I was seriously contemplating going to Europe and was really into that. And then I thought about 13-15 hours on a plane in my current condition and thought better of it. I need to start with a shorter flight.

I got to wondering - what about Disneyworld? Is that wrong? Would the kids be upset? So I brought it up ... and they were so excited for me!

Since I'd hurt myself on our last trip and missed out on so much, they were excited that I'd get the chance to do some of the things I didn't get to do last time. They ask me all sorts of questions about my plans - way more questions than they asked when they were going! They want to know where I'm eating and where I'm staying and what my plans are for the days and what rides I'll ride... It's fun and although I think I'd go whether they wanted me to or not, it's more fun to plan knowing they are happy for me.

I really do so very little for myself and I struggle with a TON of guilt for even attempting this, but I am really looking forward to it. One thing that I've noticed about our trips to Disneyworld is that I smile a lot. Like almost the whole time I'm there. Even after I hurt myself and was sad that my vacation was changed last time because of it, I was still happy to just be there, away from the real world and away from so many of my responsibilities. When I look at pictures I like to look at the other people in the background - some of them look like they're not even close to having a good time. I just don't get that.

For me, going to Disney isn't about being a kid again - I wouldn't want that, ever. It's about being free, letting go, finding the me that has been buried behind a job and a house and a family. It's just about rediscovering joy, for me. Maybe that is what people mean by being a kid again, I don't know.

a693cb4e-668f-43fb-8620-f75825cb62fb_zpsp3rjyqsy.jpg

5fda477b-ef89-4945-9c9a-a21816fb4aa4_zpsaumm4jk3.jpg

Next: [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-jennifers-january-jaunt.3450948/#post-54514894"]Day One - Sunday 1/24/16[/URL]

Last edited:
I'm following along! Sounds like you are making great progress so far! I'll be there the weekend of the 23rd, too. Looking forward to reading more about your plans!

:welcome: @kcpinwdw

Hopefully it won't be too crowded while we're there!

I'm hanging in there- logging all my food and trying to get some walking in every day. Hopefully it will help!

Day One Plans
Sunday, January 24

This is arrival day! I have an early flight and will be arriving at MCO around 11 a.m. It's been a super long time since I've flown anywhere so I'm a little nervous about it but I'm sure it will all be fine.

For now, I plan to use Disney transportation to get from the airport to Pop. I keep pushing around the idea of renting a car but the cost for a car rental for my stay is more than my flight and I just can't get past that when I go to commit. There are definite pros to having a car at my disposal, but also definite pros to using Disney busses and boats and monorails and stuff. I just don't know. Thankfully I still have time to decide.

After I get to Pop, I assume my room won't be ready yet, so the plan is to drop my carry-on bag at Bell Services and get right on a bus for Animal Kingdom. Not because it's my favorite park, not because there are things there that I'm desperate to do, but because it's supposed to be the least crowded park according to EasyWDW. The park hours were recently extended for this day - yay! More time to wander around and people watch and catch a few things to do. I figure I'll get there somewhere around 1 p.m..

Times are approximate and VERY subject to change. It's nice to have a basic plan but once I get there, I'm kind of 'fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants' when it comes to touring.

Animal Kingdom 1/24
Park Hours: 9 a.m. till 8 p.m.

1 p.m. - Lunch - Flame Tree BBQ
2 p.m. - Dinosaur (FP+?)
2:30 p.m. - Primeval Whirl (FP+?)
3 p.m. - Finding Nemo - The Musical (45 min.)
4 p.m. - snack somewhere in Asia?
4:30 p.m. - Expedition Everest (FP+?)
4:45 p.m. - Flights of Wonder (25 min.)
6 p.m. - Festival of the Lion King (30 min.)

Head to Animal Kingdom Lodge
8:30 p.m. - Dinner - Boma

Head to Downtown Disney
Head to Pop Century
(or call Uber from AKL for a ride)

Next: [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-jennifers-january-jaunt.3450948/#post-54530097"]Tsum Tsum Confession[/URL]

Last edited:
I know, right? I wasn't expecting that at all when making my plans but it actually makes my transition from Animal Kindgom to Boma much easier. I can't wait!

Tsum Tsum Confession

I should be embarassed to share this, but I am totally addicted to Tsum Tsum toys. I didn't even know it was a game app until months after I fell in love with the little stuffies. For Heaven's sake, I'm 40+ years old - I should not be buying myself stuffed animals.

But I totally did.

And I totally will again.

They're so cute and little! I'm planning to bring them with me on my trip and decorate my room and windows with them. I have a few of the original ones that they are selling at Target; it's been a while since I've been to the Disney store in the mall and although I see they are selling some online, the ones with the winking eyes are not my favorites so I don't see myself buying any of them.

I'm trying to decide which is my favorite: Dumbo, the Cheshire Cat, or Eeyore.

14f5479a-0478-4cac-a383-2cfe0314fece_zpsqooyo7oh.jpg

Anyone else like them?

Next: [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-jennifers-january-jaunt.3450948/#post-54534143"]Monday Weight Loss Progress - 10/5/15[/URL]

Last edited:
Anyone else like them?

Yeah me too. I haven't gone crazy with it but I keep buying them for my kids because they are so darn cute. We have chip and dale, Donald and daisy, stitch, and dumbo. When we are Disney last I never made it to "Disney springs" so I didn't buy more, but I do want to get the nightmare before Christmas set. I used to play the app all the time, but now I pop on once a week or so.

My Weight Loss Journey
***Monday Progress Report 10/5/15***

It's felt like a long week! A lot has happened - my son broke his arm and I caught a miserable head cold. Bleh. I had one or two days where I just was so stressed out that I visited the vending machine at work and/or had take-out at home instead of cooking. But for the most part, I did okay this week.

I logged into MyFitnessPal every day. Entered all of my food every day even when it wasn't good for me or it looked like I was going to go over my calorie goal.

The worst vending machine night (I work a mixture of midnights and day shifts) I felt really defeated. But I turned it around and worked in some time on the treadmill at work as I could. It's kind of started a 'thing' now - can I manage 30 minutes on the treadmill every night? I have to do it in 8-10 minute increments but it's working. Earning some calories back is helpful on nights when the vending machine wins.

Weight loss this week: 3 pounds
Total weight loss: 5.4 pounds

Next: [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-jennifers-january-jaunt.3450948/#post-54537706"]Day Two - Monday 1/25/16[/URL]

Last edited:
Day Two Plans
Monday, January 25

For the first time ever (since my family can't seem to get up and going early like I ask on vacation, even just one time) I would like to get to the parks at Rope Drop. Since it's all me this trip, I'm hoping it will work out for me and I'll be able to get up and moving. I'm a pretty early riser anyway, and because of all of the different shifts that I work I am used to going on very little sleep and waking and sleeping at odd hours. I think this will work to my advantage.

EasyWDW says the most recommended park for Monday is:

Hollywood Studios
Park hours: 9 a.m. till 7 p.m.​

8 a.m. - get on bus for DHS
9 a.m. - head directly to TSM, ride once standby(?) and once with (FP+)
9:30 a.m. - Great Movie Ride
10 a.m. - Voyage of the Little Mermaid
11 a.m. - Frozen Sing-Along (FP+)
11:30 a.m. - Breakfast/Snack - Writer's Stop
12 p.m. - Indiana Jones
12:45 p.m. - Star Tours (FP+)
1:30 p.m. - Lunch - 50's Prime Time Cafe (ADR)
4 p.m. - Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show
5 p.m. - Dinner - Brown Derby Lounge
6 p.m. - Rock'n Roller Coaster (single rider line?)
7 p.m. - Fantasmic!
Seasons of the Force Fireworks?

I'm not sure about some of this. It seems like a lot to squeeze in before lunch. I may kick something out and save it for a different day, like Star Tours and/or Indiana Jones. I may not try the 6 p.m. coaster, either, because if I miss Fantasmic! tonight I don't think I'll have another chance to see it this trip.

Firsts for me on this day will be the Little Mermaid, Frozen Sing-Along, Writer's Stop, 50's Prime Time, Stunt Show, and Brown Derby Lounge. So a ton of it! I'm willing to sacrifice the things I've done before so that I can experience the new things this time.

It's a shame the Animation Studio will be closed - the drawing class is something I really enjoyed.

Edited to add the new fireworks show they're talking about. In fact it looks like there will be several Star Wars things going on, especially at DHS, during my visit.

Next: Day Three - Tuesday 1/26/16

Last edited:
Day Three Plans
Tuesday, January 26

Finally, the day for my favorite park, Magic Kingdom! It's supposed to be a 'low crowd' day although that's all relative these days. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the rope drop show and hitting the park nice and early!

My original plan was to head straight for SDMT after rope drop (like everyone else, ha ha!) But it was suggested that I look into an early morning ADR at Be Our Guest, and after thinking about it for a bit, I think that would work fine!

Again - estimates on times and subject to a LOT of flexibility! Here's an idea of what my third day might look like:

Magic Kingdom
Park Hours: 9:00 a.m. till 8:00 p.m.

7 a.m. - on the bus for Magic Kingdom
8 a.m. - Breakfast - BOG (ADR)
9 a.m. - Ride SDMT a bunch of times until the line gets too long (lol)
9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - Explore old Fantasyland
10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Explore new Fantasyland and part of Tomorrowland
11:30 a.m. - Snack - Gaston's
11:30 a.m. - Space Mountain (FP+)
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. - Explore Tomorrowland
1:10 p.m. - Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern (ADR)
2 p.m. - Country Bears Jamboree, find a spot for the parade
3 p.m. - parade
3:30 p.m. - Splash Mountain (FP+)
4 p.m. - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (FP+)
4:30 - 5:30 p.m. - Tom Sawyer Island and the Riverboat
5:30 p.m. - Dinner - Columbia Harbor House or Pecos Bills
6 p.m - find a place for the parade and Wishes
7 p.m. - MSEParade
8 p.m. - Wishes​

A few options for the end of the night: back to the resort, over to Epcot since EMH end at 11 p.m. this night, or out to Disney Springs for a while. It will just depend on how tired I am!

I'm looking forward to a few firsts for me: Country Bears Jamboree, Storytime with Belle, Tom Sawyer Island, The Riverboat, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, Pecos Bills.

I can't wait!

Next: [URL='http://disboards.com/threads/2016-jennifers-january-jaunt.3450948/#post-54580087']A Little Excitement![/URL]

Last edited:
we will be in MK on the 26th too! HAve you thought about a pre park BOG breakfast? For $20 you can get in early, eat, and not have to worry about running to 7DMT.

We have LTT lunch reservations too! But early, 1155 I think.

Looks like a great day!

we will be in MK on the 26th too! HAve you thought about a pre park BOG breakfast? For $20 you can get in early, eat, and not have to worry about running to 7DMT.

We have LTT lunch reservations too! But early, 1155 I think.

Looks like a great day!

I've thought about it, and I might do it. Just haven't decided. I'm also trying to decide if I want to do an early morning at Crystal Palace one day.

How fun that we'll be at MK on the same day - and even at LTT for lunch! Do you have any 'firsts' to accomplish on this trip?

@kcpinwdw -- I took your advice and made a reservation at BOG. I was able to get an 8 a.m. reservation! I figured I can always cancel it the night before if I don't want it, but this way it's there if I do!

Thanks!

Great! See you there! I love bog breakfast. You're welcome to join us too! I always like meeting new people at disney!

i don't have any particular firsts for this MK day. But lots of firsts overall, first tea party (and probably only ever at that $$), first time at WL and first time CL. As far as rides go I think she's done everything she is tall enough for that I will ride. Im hoping she'll be tall enough for soarin but it will be close!

A Little Excitement!

I happened to click through a link for Southwestern airlines today and discovered that my flight dates are on some huge sale! I changed my flight and got a $134 credit (half of the original price!) to be used on a different flight. I love saving money, even if all it really does is force me to spend more money later. Money spent in the form of travel is a good thing in my book!! The credit doesn't expire until next September so I have time to decide what to do. I'm thinking - another solo trip to Disney next year? Maybe for F&W?!

Sooooo ... while I was changing my flight, I went ahead and scheduled my return home day for the day after I had originally intended. Because DISNEY. I have to call yet and actually add the day to my reservation; hopefully it won't be a huge deal. I'm not opposed to changing hotels for the night if I have to. I won't have any extra park ticket days since I already have 10, but I'm thinking I'd really like a day to just relax at the resort, go to Disney Springs, hang out at the pool, resort hop and explore some of the things that can be seen and done at other resorts, or opt to not go to a park on one of my travel days.

This was a fantastic start to my day off today!

Next: [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-jennifers-january-jaunt.3450948/page-2#post-54598229"]Time is Standing Still[/URL]

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter