2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** May 7-10, 2015

I have 8.5 miles on Sunday to do and I am trying to stay positive! It helps to realize others are going through the hours and miles as well. Trying to realize so much is mental and breaking through the fatigue can be tough. Plus I am sick of running on 40 degree weather!
I feel the same way. My week is haunted by my weekend long runs now. I dread my long boring 9 miles tomorrow morning. Since its so early in the morning, I'm not comfortable going out on the trail alone for that long so I have to run a 3 mile loop in my neighborhood 3 times. Let me just say that that doesn't help me pass the time any faster lol Well here is to banging it out and getting it done!

13 miles for me tomorrow! :eek: It's supposed to be snowing... hopefully not too heavily! That is going to be 3 chilly hours for me. :)

I just finished making my route. For my 11.5 mile run 2 weeks ago, I planned a route that got me back to home at 8.5 miles and then did a 3 mile out-and-back to finish it off. That was a big mistake, as all I wanted to do was stop when I got to the house, but I wasn't sure if I could do the run (had been only running on the treadmill) and there was snow forecast, so I wanted to be able to bail out early if I had to. Tomorrow there will be no going near the house until I hit 13 miles. :)

I am going to be trying some shorter intervals. Last time I did 4 min run/1 min walk, but by about mile 7 that was down to maybe 2/1. I'm going to start out at 3 min run/45s walk and see if that helps.

Is the background black or brown? I really can't tell from the pics on the website and that would have some influence on my decision. If I can get past the cost, that is.

It looks like a very dark blue to me ...

11070162_1143940275631933_5733527824313734331_n.jpg

I am going to be trying some shorter intervals. Last time I did 4 min run/1 min walk, but by about mile 7 that was down to maybe 2/1. I'm going to start out at 3 min run/45s walk and see if that helps.
That is a good idea. I have also been doing the 4/1 and about 7 miles I was hurting. I may try the first half that way and around 5 miles bump down. Any way that works to get the miles in.

I also run a loop around my house. I like that I don't carry water or fuel, I look forward to running by the house to get the extra pick me up.

It may have helped to shorten them... I'm not sure. :) I didn't make it through a single run interval without taking a walk breather after about mile 7 again. My time was terrible, 3:08. I'm proud of myself for making it through, but the run just had a lot of issues.

It was really cold and snowing today (about 32F and sideway blowing snow from about 10 miles on). I also made some poor map routing decisions that had me hit about a half mile of unmaintained (i.e. unplowed) "road" at about 1.25 miles in which really sapped a lot of energy and I lost my groove just after I'd started to get into one. I had to walk and just concentrate on not falling over because the snow was about ankle to shin deep, and since it's been raining and melting, the snow pack was not solid at all, I kept sinking and falling through. Then I had a pretty significant hill between mile 7-8 that I walked up most of it, and another REALLY significant hill at 11 that I also walked up. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to create my route coming at the wrong end of a road called Pudding Hill Road at mile 11? I was having some sort of amnesia I think about the length/steepness of the hill. We don't drive up it often and I was thinking, oh it won't be that bad... I'll walk up it but it's not that long... but it is like a quarter mile and steep! By that time I'd been out for like 2.5 hours and the snow/wind were really picking up and my legs and butt were so cold that walking up that hill that all my muscles just locked up and it was really hard to move anything again after I got to the top. I think that my IT bands were in agony but my legs were so numb I couldn't feel them, which was probably good.

But I am glad I finished, and I am feeling good about being able to hit my < 3:00 goal in a warmer/flatter environment. :)

It may have helped to shorten them... I'm not sure. :) I didn't make it through a single run interval without taking a walk breather after about mile 7 again. My time was terrible, 3:08. I'm proud of myself for making it through, but the run just had a lot of issues.

It was really cold and snowing today (about 32F and sideway blowing snow from about 10 miles on). I also made some poor map routing decisions that had me hit about a half mile of unmaintained (i.e. unplowed) "road" at about 1.25 miles in which really sapped a lot of energy and I lost my groove just after I'd started to get into one. I had to walk and just concentrate on not falling over because the snow was about ankle to shin deep, and since it's been raining and melting, the snow pack was not solid at all, I kept sinking and falling through. Then I had a pretty significant hill between mile 7-8 that I walked up most of it, and another REALLY significant hill at 11 that I also walked up. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to create my route coming at the wrong end of a road called Pudding Hill Road at mile 11? I was having some sort of amnesia I think about the length/steepness of the hill. We don't drive up it often and I was thinking, oh it won't be that bad... I'll walk up it but it's not that long... but it is like a quarter mile and steep! By that time I'd been out for like 2.5 hours and the snow/wind were really picking up and my legs and butt were so cold that walking up that hill that all my muscles just locked up and it was really hard to move anything again after I got to the top. I think that my IT bands were in agony but my legs were so numb I couldn't feel them, which was probably good.

But I am glad I finished, and I am feeling good about being able to hit my < 3:00 goal in a warmer/flatter environment. :)

:thumbsup2Good for you for getting it done and in those conditions. :worship:

I'm following my training program but I'm having a difficult time staying motivated for the long weekend runs. It's just not a lot of fun out there when it's just me going round and round and on the track. I really enjoy "the race", the excitement and entertainment and everything that goes with it, not so much training. And my appetite is through the roof. :eek:

It looks like a very dark blue to me ...
I think I'd have to see it, but I could see dark blue.

It sounds like you have a great reason for not being bale to make it without a walk break if you were dealing with that kind of snow! I have been helping a friend train for a ten miler and I'd been doing 4:1 intervals with her until yesterday - I walked it back to 3:! for the first five miles, then 2:1 for another 2.5 to get her through. I think it helped her, and she went faster than she did in the longer intervals and wasn't so frustrated with herself. Maybe playing around with the intervals will help you, too.

I'm following my training program but I'm having a difficult time staying motivated for the long weekend runs. It's just not a lot of fun out there when it's just me going round and round and on the track. I really enjoy "the race", the excitement and entertainment and everything that goes with it, not so much training. And my appetite is through the roof. :eek:
Wow - I'm impressed that you can do that on a track! I couldn't run more than a couple of miles on the track without losing my mind. Are you stuck on a track because of snow?

My intended 11 miles turned into 7.25 on Saturday because my friend needed a shorter run, so I was a little bummed about that. Only a little though, because even though 29 degrees was warmer than the 19 degree weather I was running in earlier this month, it felt worse. Can't wait to be running without eight layers on!

I can't really blame too much on the snow... it didn't start snowing until about 10 miles in. :) I think the hills are more of a factor in me pooping out and needing to dial back to shorter runs later in the run. I am going to do 13 again in 3 weeks (the plan has 14 but I'm going to save that last 0.1 for the race) and I'll make a better route (no unpaved snow roads and maybe not quite so many big hills!) and I'll try and do a better job sticking to my intervals and hopefully get a better plan worked out for race day. :)

I'm still pretty happy to even be making it through, though! I still have about 60 lbs that I would like to lose and last did any serious running 20 years ago in high school when I was on cross country. :) I just started running again last summer right after registering for this race!

Wow - I'm impressed that you can do that on a track! I couldn't run more than a couple of miles on the track without losing my mind. Are you stuck on a track because of snow?

No snow.....just sunny conditions of San Francisco Bay Area. We live up in the hills and our neighborhood is VERY hilly, so we just head to the university a couple minutes away. However, the track is sort of carved out of a hill side and you have to walk down flights of stairs, like your running in the bottom of bowl. It sucks on warm day since the temp is about 15 degrees hotter down there. But I try and remind myself that is does help with the warm weather at DL. Yes...it does drive me crazy a bit...but it beats my dreadmill.
Did 6 miles at track, came home did 2 on the dreadmill. I feel bad that I didn't do the 11 like the training program wanted but 8 is better than nothing.

Miranda, if you can do it in the cold and snow then I can suck it up in my CA weather! lol :worship:Good for you girl! I nailed my 9 miles on Saturday. For the first time I got a horrible muscle tightening in my right thigh and thought I was going to have to stop at 6 miles but I pushed through. It still feels tight. Looking forward to the big 10 mile mark this Saturday. o_O I still cant decided what I want to wear for the race...

No snow.....just sunny conditions of San Francisco Bay Area. We live up in the hills and our neighborhood is VERY hilly, so we just head to the university a couple minutes away. However, the track is sort of carved out of a hill side and you have to walk down flights of stairs, like your running in the bottom of bowl. It sucks on warm day since the temp is about 15 degrees hotter down there. But I try and remind myself that is does help with the warm weather at DL. Yes...it does drive me crazy a bit...but it beats my dreadmill.
Did 6 miles at track, came home did 2 on the dreadmill. I feel bad that I didn't do the 11 like the training program wanted but 8 is better than nothing.
I've run at that track! My family is in the Bay Area. A long time ago, and just once. I'd rather drive someplace that I can run than in circles for hours. At least now that winter is over, I won't stiffen up on the drive home.

I've run at that track! My family is in the Bay Area. A long time ago, and just once. I'd rather drive someplace that I can run than in circles for hours. At least now that winter is over, I won't stiffen up on the drive home.

Small world. :)

April 1st, our race is right around the corner! :dogdance: I woke up with a dreaded cold thanks to my littles. Hope its gone before my long run this weekend. I dont want to fall behind!

April 1st, our race is right around the corner! :dogdance: I woke up with a dreaded cold thanks to my littles. Hope its gone before my long run this weekend. I dont want to fall behind!
So excited for this race! My big one fell through so I really, really need this one mentally to keep me going.

Sorry about your cold! Lots of Vitamin C and Zinc, hope you feel better soon!!

I just realized we won't make it to the Expo in time to register. My DS7 is signed up for the Kids race, and no one else is racing. We won't be able to leave the SF area until 2:30pm, so no way to make it by 8pm when they close.
Now I have to figure out how to tell DS he won't be able to race. Does anyone know anyway around this? Can someone else pick up the packet (doesn't look that way the rundisney website)

I just realized we won't make it to the Expo in time to register. My DS7 is signed up for the Kids race, and no one else is racing. We won't be able to leave the SF area until 2:30pm, so no way to make it by 8pm when they close.
Now I have to figure out how to tell DS he won't be able to race. Does anyone know anyway around this? Can someone else pick up the packet (doesn't look that way the rundisney website)
Unfortunately, no one else can pick up the bib for you. You used to be able to do that, but they changed the policy last year. I would say if you can get through downtown LA w/ no traffic and it's close to 8, try to go straight to the DLH to see if it's still open. Bib pickup is at the hotel in the underground parking lot directly under the ballrooms. If it's closed, I'd go to the races early and see if they have bibs still available for pickup. I've heard that at least for the 5k, they sometimes have race morning bib pickups so you could try that. I would think/hope that they'd let you race Sat morning; just make sure you print put your waiver and email confirmation of which race DS is in. Good luck!

I also would contact runDisney now and explain your situation to see if they can help you in any way. Good luck. Is there anyway you can leave earlier??

Your kids are the only ones racing? If that's the case, you can have someone else pick up the bibs. I had to do this for my brother's boys at Avengers. They don't require the little ones to be present...pretty sure that would have been a disaster on Friday after a long trip. I had the signed waivers and brought them to the kids packet pick-up point and they didn't have any issues. I did have a letter from my bro authorizing me to pick them up, but all they asked for was the waivers and my ID. I was nowhere listed on the waiver, so it doesn't have to be that person. Do you have someone in the area who can do the pick-up?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!