2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** May 7-10, 2015

This is my first half and my first Tink Run so what do you ladies wear? Do you go all out on costumes? Also, how do you think the weather will be. Are you wearing shorts or running pants? TIA

I am so weirdly jealous of people who are in a rush to sign up for the DL half today!!! I want to do it!!!! :)

Too pricey for this mama to do 2 race weekends in 1 year. I am half considering running the Star Wars 10k with my 12-year-old next time, though.

I am so weirdly jealous of people who are in a rush to sign up for the DL half today!!! I want to do it!!!! :)

Too pricey for this mama to do 2 race weekends in 1 year. I am half considering running the Star Wars 10k with my 12-year-old next time, though.

Same here -- I certainly would enjoy the DL race weekend again (though, the heat...). I decided to skip this one.

We have an excellent race weekend coming up -- I have been 100% satisfied with the past Tinker Bell race weekends. We're sure to have a great time! :)

i got the "bug" this morning too.....but alas I could not do it.....twice in one year for me would be a stretch esp cause this will be first disney run!
might try for star wars in Jan 2016 instead..

This is my first half and my first Tink Run so what do you ladies wear? Do you go all out on costumes? Also, how do you think the weather will be. Are you wearing shorts or running pants? TIA

I am not running in a full out costume per se!
My 10K I have a pink tank and pink sparkle skirt and am going to wear a gold tiara – trying to go for the princess aurora vibe
For my half I am going to wear a black tank with the PDC theme on it along with a green sparkle skirt – going for the tink theme!
For my first Disney race I want to get thru the run(s) and not worry about a fully decked out costumes bothering me

Same here -- I certainly would enjoy the DL race weekend again (though, the heat...). I decided to skip this one.

We have an excellent race weekend coming up -- I have been 100% satisfied with the past Tinker Bell race weekends. We're sure to have a great time! :)

You are totally right! I am so super excited about Tink weekend and I'm even excited about my training so I know I shouldn't be jealous. LOL!

Not a shorts person, but will definitely be in capris. I think the weather should be nice, although it's CA and we could get a heat wave at any time. Hoping it's nice. :goodvibes

As for costumes, I've never gone all out but have seen tons of people do it and at SW last month, they were even bigger. I theme out my outfits though. I take running shirts and add stuff to it and run in my capris and sparkle skirts. For example at Avengers, I went as the Matterhorn and had a white sparkle skirt, white top that had the logo on the front and safety saying on the back and printed out bobsleds and monorails to safety pin on w/ a white running hat. Tink for me, I'm doing 5k is Smee for me w/ a blue and white stripped shirt, blue skirt and red beanie and my capris; the 10k I was thinking all green w/ Tink accents, but an leaning now towards Wendy and the 1/2 is Hook w/ a Raw Threads Hook shirt, red skirt and if not too hot red arm warmers as long as they'll last. :rotfl2:

I'm registered for Dumbo Double Dare! What a nightmare to make a long story short. Kim referred me to Jim Stone. I tried with 2 devices to register through Disney and Active no luck. But email Jim and he answered right away and said he had a few entries. Really nice man so he got me in! Happy day but very stressful this morning just craziness Disney site dropping out freezing you name it!

This is my first race too. We are going as Avenger fairies. :) I'm going as Black Widow, so I'm wearing a red Tinkerbell tank, a black sparkle skirt with leggings, and a Black Widow bow.

We really wanted to do the Avengers race, but my sister is still in school and can't leave in the middle of November. This was our compromise.

Hey fellow runners, I have a question for you.

Yesterday, my training plan called for an 8.5 mile long run. I was very excited about it and felt ready to go because 2 weeks ago, when I ran 7 miles, I felt great. During the 7 miles, my breathing was easy, I had energy, and I felt like I could have run longer. Yesterday, 2 miles in, I hit that wall where I could not catch my breath. I basically struggled to breathe for the the rest of the run and took many...MANY walk breaks. On one hand, I'm kind of pissed and disappointed. On the other, I'm super happy that I covered the distance and am looking forward to my next run.

Anyway, all that is to ask...WHY? What does that happen? It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but it still happens. And I usually find that once I hit that wall, that's it for the run. I cannot overcome it and breathe normally and I just have to struggle through whatever the distance is. My chest still hurts today from sucking wind so bad for 6 miles yesterday.

Any thoughts? and any tips on what to do when it happens to you?

Thanks!

Training and hotels have already got me super stressed out! :)

I booked the Camelot Inn last August, but now I'm considering changing it since I'm doing the half. I dawdled this week... I was going to add on an extra night to give us a travel day (Thursday) since we are traveling from Boston, and there were rooms available, but now there aren't. And I'm kind of regretting picking that hotel too since it's by the main gate.

I'm torn between rebooking at the Anabella or the new SpringHill Suites by the convention center. Any suggestions between the two? The Anabella is cheaper... but SpringHill has free breakfast and is brand new. I keep going back and forth on the Anabella... it looks really nice in the pictures, but then I manage to read a bad review on here or on TripAdvisor that makes me second guess it...

Training has got me stressed out because we have kind of a ridiculous amount of snow in this part of the country right now. I am 8 weeks into my Jeff Galloway plan (I just did the 8.5 run on Saturday too OctoberDisney!) and I have been able to run outdoors... ONCE! For a 30 min Tuesday run. :eek: This is my first half, and I'm already slow... I'm so scared that I am not going to get in enough outdoor training to actually finish. :o

I am having a similar struggle with hotel choices:

right now we are booked at paradise pier hotel for our entire stay (standard room - 8 nights) and I am thinking it may be best if we stay at our backup hotel HoJo, we would save $1000 (booked in Superior room - Disney View - Building One)
I will not do a split stay—for us it is not worth the hassle or time

We’ve stayed at HoJo before so I know I will have a longer walk to the start corrals vs staying at PP

Since I am in Canada and our dollar isn’t as strong as what it was 6-12 months ago :sad:
Plus I am hoping to go back to DL in October for the Halloween Party and rent some DVC points to stay at GCV

So splurge now and stay at PP for Tink or save it and wait til Oct to stay at GCV?

Decisions Decisions :confused3

I guess I could buy a lot of breakfast with the money I would save at the Anabella. I think I am going to rebook it tonight... I will need to cancel my Camelot Inn one first and get my Orbucks back. I booked through Orbitz because I had $133 in Orbucks from booking WDW for December. It stresses me out to let go of a reservation without having a new one but I am seeing enough availability on various booking sites that I should be able to at least rebook SOMEWHERE if suddenly the Anabella runs out of rooms after I cancel. :)

Hey fellow runners, I have a question for you.

Yesterday, my training plan called for an 8.5 mile long run. I was very excited about it and felt ready to go because 2 weeks ago, when I ran 7 miles, I felt great. During the 7 miles, my breathing was easy, I had energy, and I felt like I could have run longer. Yesterday, 2 miles in, I hit that wall where I could not catch my breath. I basically struggled to breathe for the the rest of the run and took many...MANY walk breaks. On one hand, I'm kind of pissed and disappointed. On the other, I'm super happy that I covered the distance and am looking forward to my next run.

Anyway, all that is to ask...WHY? What does that happen? It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but it still happens. And I usually find that once I hit that wall, that's it for the run. I cannot overcome it and breathe normally and I just have to struggle through whatever the distance is. My chest still hurts today from sucking wind so bad for 6 miles yesterday.

Any thoughts? and any tips on what to do when it happens to you?

Thanks!
Are you making sure you're fueling properly? For any run over 45 min,you should take in some fuel like gu or chomps or something. Also, are you getting enough carbs a few days before your long runs? That helps too. Another thing to look at is your pace, make sure you aren't going out too fast, going slower also allows you to go longer. They always say you're training runs outside of tempo, speed and pace practice runs, your pace should be 1-2 minutes slower. But that being said, I can't do that, so my runs are always the same pace unless it's speed work. :rotfl2:

Just make sure you're fueling and if you need to take walking breaks, take breaks. You have plenty of time before Tink and everybody has bad runs and needs bad runs to learn from. Those are the runs that help us the most! :goodvibes

I guess I could buy a lot of breakfast with the money I would save at the Anabella. I think I am going to rebook it tonight... I will need to cancel my Camelot Inn one first and get my Orbucks back. I booked through Orbitz because I had $133 in Orbucks from booking WDW for December. It stresses me out to let go of a reservation without having a new one but I am seeing enough availability on various booking sites that I should be able to at least rebook SOMEWHERE if suddenly the Anabella runs out of rooms after I cancel. :)
I haven't stayed at the Anabella before but it looks pretty and Miceage people always post about it and have deals for there. Plus it's a little closer to the start/finish/staging area so less of a walk. For breakfast, they just opened a CVS on the corner of Katella and Harbor for room stuff and on Katella/DL Dr there's a Coco's for sit down.

Good luck w/ the snow! My sister just moved back from Sommerville and has been showing me some of her friends crazy fb pics. I can't even imagine what it looks like in person. :eek:

Are you making sure you're fueling properly? For any run over 45 min,you should take in some fuel like gu or chomps or something. Also, are you getting enough carbs a few days before your long runs? That helps too. Another thing to look at is your pace, make sure you aren't going out too fast, going slower also allows you to go longer. They always say you're training runs outside of tempo, speed and pace practice runs, your pace should be 1-2 minutes slower. But that being said, I can't do that, so my runs are always the same pace unless it's speed work. :rotfl2:

Just make sure you're fueling and if you need to take walking breaks, take breaks. You have plenty of time before Tink and everybody has bad runs and needs bad runs to learn from. Those are the runs that help us the most! :goodvibes

Thanks Kim! I NEVER fuel before or during a run. I was definitely going to practice it during my longest training runs over the next month or 2 but I don't even know where to start! :)

I do think that I 1. start out too fast on the long runs (didn't realize I should be that much slower...thanks!) and 2. maybe have some long run anxiety.

Anyway, you're right. Nothing to do but learn from it and move on. Ran 4.4 this morning and felt great! :)

I am having a similar struggle with hotel choices:

right now we are booked at paradise pier hotel for our entire stay (standard room - 8 nights) and I am thinking it may be best if we stay at our backup hotel HoJo, we would save $1000 (booked in Superior room - Disney View - Building One)
I will not do a split stay—for us it is not worth the hassle or time

We’ve stayed at HoJo before so I know I will have a longer walk to the start corrals vs staying at PP

Since I am in Canada and our dollar isn’t as strong as what it was 6-12 months ago :sad:
Plus I am hoping to go back to DL in October for the Halloween Party and rent some DVC points to stay at GCV

So splurge now and stay at PP for Tink or save it and wait til Oct to stay at GCV?

Decisions Decisions :confused3

Not running Tink this year but stalking the thread anyway cause I wish I was lol!

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that this is always my dilemma; stay at Hojo and save $$$ or stay at PPH and save walking. I have done both now and there is no set answer for me. Did you get the runners discount at Hojo? It seems like for 8 nights you should be saving more than $1000. Anyway, that aside, $1000 is still a good chunk of change especially on a race weekend when theres so much fun stuff you could spend it on! Plus if you want to stay at GVC in October maybe its worth the wait. How many races are you running that weekend? If you're running all 3 I'd probably go with staying at PPH. Thats a lot of walking you'd be saving if you think about 3 race mornings and the expo. If you're doing the Half only then I'd say stay at Hojo and save the $. If you're doing the challenge I don't know which I'd choose lol! I'd probably lean towards PPH. Its so nice waking up at PPH on race mornings and just walking out the doors of the hotel and being at the corrals!

Not running Tink this year but stalking the thread anyway cause I wish I was lol!

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that this is always my dilemma; stay at Hojo and save $$$ or stay at PPH and save walking. I have done both now and there is no set answer for me. Did you get the runners discount at Hojo? It seems like for 8 nights you should be saving more than $1000. Anyway, that aside, $1000 is still a good chunk of change especially on a race weekend when theres so much fun stuff you could spend it on! Plus if you want to stay at GVC in October maybe its worth the wait. How many races are you running that weekend? If you're running all 3 I'd probably go with staying at PPH. Thats a lot of walking you'd be saving if you think about 3 race mornings and the expo. If you're doing the Half only then I'd say stay at Hojo and save the $. If you're doing the challenge I don't know which I'd choose lol! I'd probably lean towards PPH. Its so nice waking up at PPH on race mornings and just walking out the doors of the hotel and being at the corrals!

I got the AP rate at both PP and HoJo - PP = $2470 (including taxes for 8 nights) HoJo = $1450 (including taxes for 8 nights)
I am running PDC both 10K and Half
Plus getting early entry being a resort guest is a bonus too since we are AP holders!
I hope the CDN dollar rebounds a bit before May

I got the AP rate at both PP and HoJo - PP = $2470 (including taxes for 8 nights) HoJo = $1450 (including taxes for 8 nights)
I am running PDC both 10K and Half
Plus getting early entry being a resort guest is a bonus too since we are AP holders!
I hope the CDN dollar rebounds a bit before May

Oh thats so hard to choose then! I'd probably lean towards PPH then. Especially if you think you'll be able to take advantage of the EMH. My family doesn't get up early enough lol. If the Hojo rate was lower I'd say Hojo but thats kinda high still for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter