(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the pictures BethClayton! Your food looked delicious and I enjoyed the harp music as well. I would love for my hubby and I to get to go there in June, but not so sure about my daughters, ages 16 and 10.

Hi everyone and Happy Sunday!

I just wanted to share that tomorrow marks 4 weeks until our ADR window opens! I know you all were just waiting for that announcement - hahaha!

But, what is actually neat about that is, I looked at my calendar and realized the day my ADR window opens is the exact 1/2 way point from when I started my new healthy lifestyle to my birthday in November!

I think I mentioned on here that I decided on my last birthday that I wanted to lose 100 pounds by my next birthday. My husband agreed that if I hit my goal we could splurge on this trip to WDW in celebration of my birthday (we usually go at the end of January when it's his birthday) and hitting my goal. Plus, I hate to admit this, he's about Disney'ed out so getting him to agree was a great way to get a trip this year! The agreement is that if I'm not on track to hit the 100 pounds by the time the 45 day mark comes around for final payment then I'll have to cancel - so it's been a huge motivator!

So, anyway, tomorrow marks 4 weeks to the 1/2 way point to 100 pounds lost as well as my 180 mark to leave for Disney so I need to be down at least 50 pounds to be on track. Right now I'm down 41 so am going to hit it hard over the next 4 weeks!! Wish me luck!

Great job on losing 41 pounds so far! I'm sure all your hard work is going to pay off and you will not only hit that 50 pound mark in the next four weeks, but you are going to nail it on the 100 pound goal that you have set for yourself. Trust me, as someone who lost over 100 lbs I can't begin to tell you how much different you will feel both physically and emotionally as well. Again, great job. :thumbsup2

just want to tell you good luck on your weight loss and congratulations on your loss so far! way to go!! i lost about 60 pounds, and it took me over a year, but i have kept it off. i, too, promised myself a disney-related reward- in 2013 i had promised myself that if i were a certain weight by my disney trip that we would have a professional family photo session at the GF while we were there. i didn't earn that reward, but that's ok, i stayed motivated and kept losing, which was the more important thing. you will do great! i'm rooting for you! i am so glad i stuck with it, i feel so much better in so many ways and looking better doesn't hurt, either, lol! my biggest advice is, when you have a plateau and you know you've been "behaving," or if you've "cheated" and you're upset with yourself, just tell yourself over and over, "just keep doing what you're doing." it is so easy to get discouraged and quit... don't give up!!

Congrats on not only losing the weight but maintaining it as well. This June it will be three years that I hit my goal of losing 115 lbs and have continued to keep it all off 3 years later. You gave some excellent advice on being in a plateau during a weight loss journey as well as not beating yourself up when you "cheated." You can't change the past, you can only learn from it and move forward. Funny you mentioned discouragement; I am a pastor and my sermon this morning was on the very topic of discouragement. It is the most used weapon against us in life to get us to quit and give up. Great job on staying the course.:thumbsup2

I'll be staying at GF for the first time this November with my Grands ages 4 & 1. We will have 2 strollers. Since it will be Nov. I'm not really interested in being close to pool. We booked GF specifically for monorail access. We are booked GV. Which building has the closest monorail access? TIA!

We will be there in two weeks and purely picked GF based on the splash pad. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. Would LOVE to hear any helpful information from others... dates, other options. Thanks!! We normally stay at the Poly but with the construction the splash pad won us over.
Talked to the lifeguard today and she said at least this week the pad is closed. No further details than that. They look to be polishing everything....

Great job on losing 41 pounds so far! I'm sure all your hard work is going to pay off and you will not only hit that 50 pound mark in the next four weeks, but you are going to nail it on the 100 pound goal that you have set for yourself. Trust me, as someone who lost over 100 lbs I can't begin to tell you how much different you will feel both physically and emotionally as well. Again, great job. :thumbsup2

Congrats on not only losing the weight but maintaining it as well. This June it will be three years that I hit my goal of losing 115 lbs and have continued to keep it all off 3 years later. You gave some excellent advice on being in a plateau during a weight loss journey as well as not beating yourself up when you "cheated." You can't change the past, you can only learn from it and move forward. Funny you mentioned discouragement; I am a pastor and my sermon this morning was on the very topic of discouragement. It is the most used weapon against us in life to get us to quit and give up. Great job on staying the course.:thumbsup2

Congrats on 115!! And, just as importantly, maintaining it!! Thanks for the encouragement and support! I think your sermon sounds like a great one - I do agree that in most situations we are our biggest enemies and our own thinking and attitude is what defeats us most!

Have a great Monday everyone!

image.jpg image.jpg
We will be there in two weeks and purely picked GF based on the splash pad. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. Would LOVE to hear any helpful information from others... dates, other options. Thanks!! We normally stay at the Poly but with the construction the splash pad won us over.
It was nice chatting with you.

I've stayed at gf twice since they remodeled the courtyard pool and still haven't been in it yet! I'm hoping to splash in the fountains myself! They look so fun. At night they are lit up too :)

Last edited:
View attachment 89471 View attachment 89470
It was nice chatting with you.

I've stayed at gf twice since they remodeled the courtyard pool and still haven't been in it yet! I'm hoping to splash in the fountains myself! They look so fun. At night they are lit up too :)

Beautiful pics. We usually head to courtyard pool when afternoon pool party start at beach pool! I just wish people would remove their towels from shallow end of pool that they used as pillows :sad2:. So rude!

Hi GF fellows! We are visiting the GF in July. Any info on what rooms to request when booking a standard view. We can't wait! I heard the rooms are beautiful!!!!

Hi GF fellows! We are visiting the GF in July. Any info on what rooms to request when booking a standard view. We can't wait! I heard the rooms are beautiful!!!!

Hi Dariansue: The good news is, with the exception of a few rooms in Big Pine Key that have a "lovely" view of the back of the poolhouse bathrooms -- there are very few bad views. My personal choice, when staying GV is to book Sago as the "GV" I have gotten there, more than once, is of the marina and the courtyard.

Tom

I'll be staying at GF for the first time this November with my Grands ages 4 & 1. We will have 2 strollers. Since it will be Nov. I'm not really interested in being close to pool. We booked GF specifically for monorail access. We are booked GV. Which building has the closest monorail access? TIA!

Hi MimiofTwo: If you look at the map, it is more a matter of picking which side of the main building you want to get to the monorail via. I like Sago, because there is a path (it is a path where CMs enter work and mainenance vehicles move in and out but no one has ever stopped me from going through and it doesn't say CMs only) on the side where the Convention Center is located. From there it is a short walk to the main entrance and access to the monorail. However, if you are taking 2 strollers, I would suggest Big Pine Key, as you can walk from there and enter the main building right by 1900 Park Fare and the Grand Floridian Cafe. You will be close to the elevator via this entrance -- that is important because monorail access is on the 2nd floor.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks! My stay gets even more split. After 2 nights at CR (for the 24 hour day) we switch to YC for SWW :)

:thumbsup2 Sounds like the best of ALL worlds!

Hi Blue and all other GF fans :wave2:

I've been mia for a long time as things have been very busy around here, but wanted to pop in and say hi. Hope everyone is having fun planning their Grand vacations :wizard:.

Hey you!! :hug: Glad that you popped in!

Hi everyone and Happy Sunday!

I just wanted to share that tomorrow marks 4 weeks until our ADR window opens! I know you all were just waiting for that announcement - hahaha!

But, what is actually neat about that is, I looked at my calendar and realized the day my ADR window opens is the exact 1/2 way point from when I started my new healthy lifestyle to my birthday in November!

I think I mentioned on here that I decided on my last birthday that I wanted to lose 100 pounds by my next birthday. My husband agreed that if I hit my goal we could splurge on this trip to WDW in celebration of my birthday (we usually go at the end of January when it's his birthday) and hitting my goal. Plus, I hate to admit this, he's about Disney'ed out so getting him to agree was a great way to get a trip this year! The agreement is that if I'm not on track to hit the 100 pounds by the time the 45 day mark comes around for final payment then I'll have to cancel - so it's been a huge motivator!

So, anyway, tomorrow marks 4 weeks to the 1/2 way point to 100 pounds lost as well as my 180 mark to leave for Disney so I need to be down at least 50 pounds to be on track. Right now I'm down 41 so am going to hit it hard over the next 4 weeks!! Wish me luck!

Yes we were waiting for that announcement!! lol.... Many congratulations to you on your incredible weight loss! :goodvibes

just want to tell you good luck on your weight loss and congratulations on your loss so far! way to go!! i lost about 60 pounds, and it took me over a year, but i have kept it off. i, too, promised myself a disney-related reward- in 2013 i had promised myself that if i were a certain weight by my disney trip that we would have a professional family photo session at the GF while we were there. i didn't earn that reward, but that's ok, i stayed motivated and kept losing, which was the more important thing. you will do great! i'm rooting for you! i am so glad i stuck with it, i feel so much better in so many ways and looking better doesn't hurt, either, lol! my biggest advice is, when you have a plateau and you know you've been "behaving," or if you've "cheated" and you're upset with yourself, just tell yourself over and over, "just keep doing what you're doing." it is so easy to get discouraged and quit... don't give up!!

Beth
Congratualtions to you too on your terrific weight loss...and thank you for sharing those inspirational words...:grouphug:

I would recommend Sago Cay if you'd like to be close to the main building...with a second request of close to Gasparillas, marina view....as this is a long building...and could have a bit of a walk..bear in mind though that the GF grounds are compact...and everything is in pretty close proximity....Enjoy your first GF visit...bet it won't be your last! :goodvibes

Talked to the lifeguard today and she said at least this week the pad is closed. No further details than that. They look to be polishing everything....

Thanks for checking in Andyman I hope that this has not had a negative impact on your GF stay....

:cheer2: Congrats on your upcoming trip! Being July I would say that Boca Chica (steps from the courtyard pool) or Big Pine Key (also steps from the cy pool..and not far from the beach pool either...) ..would be good choices...there is a map on page one of this thread that can show you exactly where all of the outer building are....BTW all of the GV are very lovely.... :lovestruc

Hi Dariansue: The good news is, with the exception of a few rooms in Big Pine Key that have a "lovely" view of the back of the poolhouse bathrooms -- there are very few bad views. My personal choice, when staying GV is to book Sago as the "GV" I have gotten there, more than once, is of the marina and the courtyard.

Tom

I forgot about those pool house views...!! :eek: lol....

goofy4prez Many congrats to you too on your wight loss and maintenance..wow!! :thumbsup2

Trish Wonderful pictures :cloud9:...I'm ready for a swim! :boat:...lol...

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a magical Monday.... :earsgirl: preppy GF gal who now has ADRs and FPP too!! :dance3:

Last edited:
Can anyone point me in the direction to finding the grounds map for GF? And does it say which buildings are which (like the one they give you at check in)..or did I completely miss it in the first post??

It's really a personal preference of what you want to look out on. When we had a standard view I agonized, pool or marina? Finally decided on pool view and requested Boca Chica. As mentioned Big Pine is risky because of pool house. Last stay we had a lagoon view in Big Pine. Both Boca Chica and Big Pine are close to both pools and across the grass courtyard to main building. But GF is pretty small and no location is very far from anything.

It's really a personal preference of what you want to look out on. When we had a standard view I agonized, pool or marina? Finally decided on pool view and requested Boca Chica. As mentioned Big Pine is risky because of pool house. Last stay we had a lagoon view in Big Pine. Both Boca Chica and Big Pine are close to both pools and across the grass courtyard to main building. But GF is pretty small and no location is very far from anything.
Thanks Sue! I think maybe marina! I love the GF no matter what room anyway!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter