(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so who's gonna be the first of us NOT to book anymore til the deals come out....:lmao: Yeah, right.....:rolleyes1 We're all addicted and can't help it!!
Good point tho....

Me!! I am almost tempted to cancel my resort reservation now but keep tickets and ADRs and see if that leads to a UOC code. In the past, I was always able to add a discount to my trip. I guess I was lucky then because I heard other people having problems and saying people shouldn't book before discounts...but since I never personally experienced any issues I assumed more people got discounts than didn't. Now I realize it probably was luck before and with the tightening of discounts, it sounds even more difficult to just apply a discount to an already booked room! So this has stopped me from booking early for sure! If I wait for the discount to be released and there are no rooms, then we'll go somewhere else. If there are discounts then great! I can always book ADRs 180 days without a room, unless Disney changes that for resort guests at some point.

Ok, so who's gonna be the first of us NOT to book anymore til the deals come out....:lmao: Yeah, right.....:rolleyes1 We're all addicted and can't help it!!
Good point tho....
LOL. Exactly! Even if we all didn't book, other people would, and then we'd be the ones left without a room. I can't figure out exactly how their discounts work anyway. If it's based purely on how many rooms are available, then why was I able to get a discount on a room when all the rooms were showing sold out even at rack rate? I thought I was going to have to pay rack rate:scared1:. My dates include Columbus Day weekend, which is always busy! I think there's more to it than we know, but of course the number of rooms still available on a particular date would have to play a big role.

:D

I'm probably in the minority, I booked last week for next summer :duck:. Not booked at the GF, but that might change depending on discounts....lol.
Ha...I won't throw anything at you! We have to make plans...I'm a big planner! You've got a room secured, and if things go your way, discounts will come out for a room you may want more. My future will definitely be revolving around the discounts more since we'll probably be throwing a bunch of college trips into the mix! I'll have to follow the discounts if I want to go more than once....or simply go once... To the Grand!

Ha...I won't throw anything at you! We have to make plans...I'm a big planner! You've got a room secured, and if things go your way, discounts will come out for a room you may want more. My future will definitely be revolving around the discounts more since we'll probably be throwing a bunch of college trips into the mix! I'll have to follow the discounts if I want to go more than once....or simply go once... To the Grand!

Thanks for not throwing anything :rotfl::rotfl:.

We are planning on a Poly/CR split and if I can't get a discount when/if they are released for next summer, I'll make the decision at that time on what to do. The GF is my second choice should things not work out for what I have booked, so it wouldn't be the worst thing if I couldn't get a discount on the other two ;).

Good point tho....

Well I cancelled my 3 nights main bldg CL when I was on hold for an hour and half at work first thing in the morning to find out no discount. I was so upset that I looked into the Four Seasons and booked a room there until I decide what I want to do. I changed my GF to a lagoon view and even that room is $100 more a night than the Four Seasons. If a discount comes out great if not we will be at the Four Seasons.

Good point tho....

I'm not addicted enough to pay rack rate when I know there are other places we can stay... They are counting on people to continue to do the same old thing when they are changing their practices, but I can change with the times... We've stayed at several Four Seasons around the country, and if they are any indication at all, Disney has a very long way to go in terms of service before I would consider those rack rates. It's sad, but very true...

Sorry to post mid-convo :chat:.

I have seen people mentioning about a 'full tub' in the rooms. Are there rooms without a full tub?

I would need a full tub to bath my two children. I have never stayed at GF before so I don't know what to request. I am asking well in advance but had to ask whilst I remembered.

Also does anyone know how much it would cost extra to upgrade to a theme park view room (standard) from a garden view? obviously I know it would be a rough price as they fluctuate so much. Would the upgrade be worth it?

I'm not addicted enough to pay rack rate when I know there are other places we can stay... They are counting on people to continue to do the same old thing when they are changing their practices, but I can change with the times... We've stayed at several Four Seasons around the country, and if they are any indication at all, Disney has a very long way to go in terms of service before I would consider those rack rates. It's sad, but very true...
Oh, well I'll never pay rack rate, especially for the GF!! Prices are insane, and have been for years!:crazy2: We only book when there's a substantial discount (my sis and I split the cost, so it's a tad more bearable) and as of now, I am not booked at the GF at all for the time being. We've chosen the AKL but I am not averse to moving over to the Waldorf or the Four Seasons, if push comes to shove! But like another poster said, if we here on this thread didn't book, others would, and that would still drive the rates up....

If it makes any difference to the conversation here, last week the GF must have been close to full. We could not get any rooms with a MK view. And we asked to extend our Lagoon Room by one night and were told that no rooms were available.

Sorry to post mid-convo :chat:.

I have seen people mentioning about a 'full tub' in the rooms. Are there rooms without a full tub?

I would need a full tub to bath my two children. I have never stayed at GF before so I don't know what to request. I am asking well in advance but had to ask whilst I remembered.

Also does anyone know how much it would cost extra to upgrade to a theme park view room (standard) from a garden view? obviously I know it would be a rough price as they fluctuate so much. Would the upgrade be worth it?
The only way you wouldn't get a tub is if you got a handicapped accessible room. I've never had to note " no HA rooms" on my room request before, but it wouldn't hurt. Whether or not TPV is worth it is subjective. To me, it is not worth the substantial price increase because 1) I prefer to spend that extra cost on CL 2) we are either in the parks, the CL lounge, or the pool (unless sleeping or showering) so we aren't in the room enough to enjoy it. If you have young children who take naps, it may be worth it to you because you will spend more time in the room/on the balcony.
I agree! I'm at least a little "addicted" to GF, but we've found ourselves branching out a bit over the last couple of years anyway, so I'm finding myself a little more open to the idea of trying other resorts too:) I do think Disney thinks they've got us all figured out with their market research. They are trying to see how far they can stretch the limits, but I think they have about reached the limit.
Oh, well I'll never pay rack rate, especially for the GF!! Prices are insane, and have been for years!:crazy2: We only book when there's a substantial discount (my sis and I split the cost, so it's a tad more bearable) and as of now, I am not booked at the GF at all for the time being. We've chosen the AKL but I am not averse to moving over to the Waldorf or the Four Seasons, if push comes to shove! But like another poster said, if we here on this thread didn't book, others would, and that would still drive the rates up....
I was the one who said others would book if we didn't, but this is only true for now. Of course, this is all just my opinion, but most people (unlike us) don't go to Disney very often, so when they do go, they are willing to pay more for the trip. I have seen this happen with three of my neighbors! But sooner or later, Disney is going to push the limits too much and even the people who don't come often will look for other options (whether to a cheaper Disney option, another hotel group, or another destination altogether)! When they start seeing too many unoccupied rooms at their most expensive resorts, they'll figure it out! It will be interesting to see what impact this most recent discount change will have...mass exodus at the GF? Loveshak22 and Northminnie may actually end up getting their discounts, and let's hope so :)

The only way you wouldn't get a tub is if you got a handicapped accessible room. I've never had to note " no HA rooms" on my room request before, but it wouldn't hurt. Whether or not TPV is worth it is subjective. To me, it is not worth the substantial price increase because 1) I prefer to spend that extra cost on CL 2) we are either in the parks, the CL lounge, or the pool (unless sleeping or showering) so we aren't in the room enough to enjoy it. If you have young children who take naps, it may be worth it to you because you will spend more time in the room/on the balcony.

I agree! I'm at least a little "addicted" to GF, but we've found ourselves branching out a bit over the last couple of years anyway, so I'm finding myself a little more open to the idea of trying other resorts too:) I do think Disney thinks they've got us all figured out with their market research. They are trying to see how far they can stretch the limits, but I think they have about reached the limit.

I was the one who said others would book if we didn't, but this is only true for now. Of course, this is all just my opinion, but most people (unlike us) don't go to Disney very often, so when they do go, they are willing to pay more for the trip. I have seen this happen with three of my neighbors! But sooner or later, Disney is going to push the limits too much and even the people who don't come often will look for other options (whether to a cheaper Disney option, another hotel group, or another destination altogether)! When they start seeing too many unoccupied rooms at their most expensive resorts, they'll figure it out! It will be interesting to see what impact this most recent discount change will have...mass exodus at the GF? Loveshak22 and Northminnie may actually end up getting their discounts, and let's hope so :)

Fingers crossed!!

90 days until we check into the Grand Floridian! I can't believe it's getting close!

This will probably be our last stay at the Grand for awhile. We won't be going in 2016 (we'll have a new baby and I don't take infants to WDW!) so we won't be able to book a bounce back offer. Who knows what the discounts will be in 2017! Our friends booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Waldorf for less than $600 bucks a night for their March trip. When we go back with two kids, we may look at, GASP, off property!!!! We may need the extra room until the little one stops napping, although we stayed at the Poly when we took our eldest for the first time when she was 2. It would be nice to stay at the same place when we take our second!

I will say that there has not been a mass exodus yet, unless Disney is holding back rooms. As of now, it seems like there's very little availability! But we're 4 months out and like many of the GF pros on here have said - things open up all the time so we shall see!!

Hi all! I have been out for a while since I had to cancel out trip this Aug due to my health issues, I am all good now and looking to book for May, whats new?

Hi all! I have been out for a while since I had to cancel out trip this Aug due to my health issues, I am all good now and looking to book for May, whats new?
Is May at GF??

Glad you feeling better !!

I have a trip soon with dd and will post pix. Any requests??

Is May at GF??

Glad you feeling better !!

I have a trip soon with dd and will post pix. Any requests??
Yes may! I would love any pics of room views, views from the pool. I am feeling great now, harsh winter/spring, but I caught it early and had great doctors!I am a breast cancer survivor and cant wait to celebrate in wdw. That is the first time I have ever said or written that, I dont want to dwell on it but it felt good to say just once:)

Yes may! I would love any pics of room views, views from the pool. I am feeling great now, harsh winter/spring, but I caught it early and had great doctors!I am a breast cancer survivor and cant wait to celebrate in wdw. That is the first time I have ever said or written that, I dont want to dwell on it but it felt good to say just once:)
I am currently helping my mil with chemo for breat cancer. She is half way done and is feeling good.

Great doctors saved her too!

Cheers too good health:drinking1

I am staying in sugarloaf so lots of pool pix coming your way.

I am currently helping my mil with chemo for breat cancer. She is half way done and is feeling good.

Great doctors saved her too!

Cheers too good health:drinking1

I am staying in sugarloaf so lots of pool pix coming your way.
I pray for you all, and I know she can beat this as I did!! Wdw is a great place to celebrate life!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter