2013 Hilton Head lovers thread

Discussion in 'DVC Resorts' started by okw2012, Sep 8, 2012.

1. jheltz27

jheltz27 @jheltz27

Meant to mentioned this is planned. 7 month window coming up in a few weeks. This will be our 2nd overall stay as members having stayed at the Villas at the Grand Californian in May. We have stayed at VWL before renting points. So glad we took the DVC plunge.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jheltz27

jheltz27 @jheltz27

Now that I'm reading about the shortage of Studios in June we may move up to last week of May but I'm worried about Memorial Day. Does it get unbearably crowded that weekend? Also, we would like to take a day trip to either Charleston or Savanna. Which is more kid friendly with 4 & 8 year old boys? Thanks.

4. okw2012

okw2012 Mouseketeer

With kids, I'd choose Savannah: you'll save 3h of driving vs Charleston and there's plenty to do:
    http://family.go.com/travel/vacations/georgia/savannah/

5. jheltz27

jheltz27 @jheltz27

Thanks for the tip. We just started planning and I didn't realize Charleston was that far away. As an architect Savannah is totally my cup of tea and the Safari looks pretty fun to let the kids experience some of that while still having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

6. mickeyplanner

mickeyplanner DIS Veteran

We are getting ready for the seven month window to open in November to try to book for June 2013.

7. emilymad

emilymad DIS Veteran

We were able to book May 18th through May 25th in a studio last week. It is a week earlier than we usually go but we are so excited that we got the reservation!

8. susieq76

susieq76 DIS Veteran

We are planning June 4-7th at HHI. My 7 month window is coming soon- crossing fingers that we get it :goodvibes

9. mickeyplanner

Thank you for the link, I finally had a chance to check it out.

Here's hoping you get in. pixiedust: Please let me know how it goes, I want to be prepared when we try to call in next month at seven months out.

10. jheltz27

jheltz27 @jheltz27

Does anyone know how bad Memorial Day weekend is at the resort & beach? Is it best to avoid if possible? Shoulder to shoulder on the beach is not my idea of a good time. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

11. soontobewed07

soontobewed07 DIS Veteran

We are thinking about our 1st trip the first week in August.

2 questions

How easy is it to book if this is not your home resort?

How crowded does it get in August?

12. lsutigger2

lsutigger2 <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/"targe

We will be at HH May 4 - May 11, 2013. We love HH. this will be our fifth trip. DH golfs and I sit and relax. We have a one-bedroom booked.

My two nieces, their husbands, and my great niece - who will be almost four at the time of the trip, will be joining us in a two-bedroom from May 8 - May 11.

We are all looking forward to our trip :banana:

13. emilymad

emilymad DIS Veteran

I have been there over Memorial Day and it was fine. We stayed at a different resort though. You didn't have the beach to yourself by any means but we didn't feel crowded. It makes a difference if it is high or low tide though.

14. pamlet

pamlet DIS Veteran

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

15. okw2012

okw2012 Mouseketeer

Not easy, and note that there are very few studios and 1BR. This is what sets HHI apart: the vast majority of rooms are dedicated 2BR. So be sure to have enough points for a 2BR if you're gonna book at 7 mo in August.

End of August is not that crowded I believe.

16. okw2012

okw2012 Mouseketeer

Here is the monthly update of the seasonal forecast for Hilton Head.

Still no El Nino onset, therefore a strong El Nino event is quite unlikely for this winter. Colder than average temperatures are forecasted at the world this winter, but not at HHI. Spring is now looking good as well! Above average temperature are still forecasted for the summer of 2013.

So here is my temperature forecast for 2013 in Hilton Head (issued Oct. 24th, 2012):

Jan-Feb: average
    Mar-July: warmer than average
    Aug: average
    Sep: warmer than average
    Oct-Dec: average

These are **average** forecasted conditions for each month, (compared to typical temperature for the month). Even when the forecast is correct, weather on individual days can be quite different from the average.

More details here:
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/outlook.php?wfo=chs&site=384169

17. mickeyplanner

Are the majority of the 2BR, true 2BR with two queen beds in the second room or are they a 1BR and studio combined? We are going to be trying to get into a 2BR June 23-28. We had to change our dates due to DD dance recital.

18. okw2012

okw2012 Mouseketeer

There are 21 lockoff villas (1BR + 1 studio) vs 76 dedicated ("true") 2BR. Plus 5 GV. This is a small resort.

19. mickeyplanner

Awesome, sounds like we have a pretty good chance of getting a true 2 br

20. okw2012

okw2012 Mouseketeer

21. kristenrice

kristenrice DIS Veteran

MY WAITLIST CAME THROUGH!!!

:dance3::yay::cheer2::dance3::yay::cheer2::dance3::yay::cheer2::dance3::yay::cheer2::dance3::yay:

I had to call MS to get the points straightened out because they were supposed to borrow my 2014 HHI points before using current AKV points (which they didn't), but it was easily fixed.

I also asked about the cash night. When I originally booked (at 11 months), I booked Sat and Sun on cash with the intention of switching Sunday to points at 7 months. When I had to waitlist Sunday night, I had it noted that if the waitlist filled, that night should be cancelled from the cash reservation. I was told that I had to pay a one-night deposit ($248.32 total, which included the member discount) but that was the 2012 rate. I was told I would receive an "invoice" for the difference when the 2013 rates were released. Well, in August, the CRO website shows the 2013 rates and a 2BR is $512 + tax:crazy2:. So I figured that we'd be looking at about $400 per night with the discount. I never received an "invoice" so I asked about it today. I told the CM that we'd paid our 1-night deposit and I wondered how much more we will still owe since it is now only a 1-night reservation. She told me that the reservation is PAID IN FULL:cool1:. She confirmed that the $248.32 is the CORRECT amount for that Saturday night, March 30, 2013. You could have knocked me over with a feather:joker:.

I am so excited because I thought I was going to need about $400 for that night. Now, I only owe my dad $125 since he paid the one-night deposit! That $275 difference is over 10% of our budget so that is a nice unexpected savings:beach:.

I pray that our good fortune did not come about because someone was affected by Sandy and had to cancel:sad1:. We are praying for those who have lost so much and hoping that the relief efforts will be speedy and effective:grouphug:.