*2013* epcot food & wine festival 9/27-11/11

Last year he did a number of Styx songs. Some of which he didn't sing himself, like "Too Much Time." Another member of his band sang that. The "Sailing Away" singalong was fun.

Just extended our stay so we can see a couple more bands. I loves me some eat to the beat! 4 weeks now! Maybe I'll just stay to the end! I've been at the beginning and at the end, but never at both during the same trip!

Not to be disagreeable, but I don't agree with this advice. There is no way I can go a whole day of walking (like 10 miles) on just a few little bites of food. We definitely need one "real" meal.

We're all different, that's why Disney is great, folks can do it however they please. :) We are DVC so we have a good breakfast in the room. We would hit the kiosks at 11:00AM and with two of us splitting the plates we found that by the third or fourth booth (8-9 small plates), we were stuffed. Now granted we tried every dish at every kiosk. We both have disabilities so we are on scooters, but even so, we don't cover 10 miles a day even riding. We hardly make it around Epcot once.

We found that after visiting a batch of kiosks, we were ready for a relaxing dark attraction. It was a couple hours before we were hungry again. By the time we were hungry a third time we had an ADR. We spent a week at WDW and only tried everything at the kiosks once. We never had a chance to go back and revisit our favorites. I think if we hadn't had the ADRs we could have tried our favorites again.

I can see if you are walking 10 miles a day, you could consume more calories. That is like Olympic athlete or Marathon training sort of exercise! I guess whether or not you should plan ADRs depends on whether or not you are burning tons of calories or only a few.

Well that makes perfect sense! Yes, we do a ton of walking (one time around the World Showcase is 1.2 miles and we go around that at least 4 times in a day. Then there is the walking within the pavilions, walking on the Future World side of Epcot and walking to/from our car. And maybe a couple hours at another park :) ). So maybe not a full 10 miles, but at least 7 or 8. I just get very, very hungry for a larger, solid meal as DH and I also share the small plates and so it's just a bite or two of each thing. We don't try every single item at each booth, rather we choose just one or two and try more booths. So that explains the difference in thought on a sit down meal. We also stay where there is a kitchen in the room, but we don't eat a full breakfast - usually just greek yogurt and sugar free/wheat free cookies I make from almond flour and stevia. I also buy those already hard boiled eggs in a bag and maybe grab one or two of those. So we get something to start with, but again, I need one "real" meal a day.

I do agree that part of the beauty is everyone can do their own thing. One just needs to know their own touring style/needs and plan accordingly. So all advice is helpful in figuring that out I think.

I've never been to F&W or Eat to the Beat concerts. I was wondering how early people start lining up for the concerts?

Depends... there are those "die hard" fans who MUST be on the first row. I have literally seen them line up at 11 AM (Yes they sat there is the sun all day to get that seat LOL!) I however stroll up at the last minute, no I am not in the front row, but I am not passing out from heat stroke either!

Not to be disagreeable, but I don't agree with this advice. There is no way I can go a whole day of walking (like 10 miles) on just a few little bites of food. We definitely need one "real" meal.

I am in the "no meals" group. Those service are not just a "few bites" and if you get three or four it's still more calories then I should eat in a meal. And the "walking" at Disney doesn't really burn that many calories. I stay at BCV and do a lap at lunch and a lap at dinner :) (And I generally run several miles too, but it's still a lot of calories!)

I'm not worried about calories, I don't even care if I gain while I'm there. I'm just talking in terms of how I feel if I don't eat one regular meal. They are small portions, particularly when shared with DH, and just noshing on "appetizers" for all intents and purposes just doesn't do it for me. To each their own, but to the person that asked, don't assume that you will not want a meal just because a few people say they don't. People will have to decide for themselves if they can live on appetizers for an intense day of walking (yes, walking all day long does count - I usually end up losing weight even though I eat FAR more than I would at home sitting at my desk working). :)

Editing to add, DH likes to drink beer too, and for SURE he needs more food in his stomach to offset the beer he drinks.

I figure food is food, and you eat just as much if it's served on small plates and you eat several of them as you would eat if several items are served together on one plate. But that is a matter of preference as to whether you'd rather eat from the booths or sit down in a restaurant. I've had enough food after three or four of the small plates, and at that point I don't need to be served an additional large plate of food. If I get hungry later I'll grab a couple more mini plates.

I might be beating a dead horse here, but we don't go to every single booth in a row and order 2 or 3 different plates. We might get a shrimp taco at Mexico, and then not get anything again until France. We walk around the lagoon many times in a day. So the time between the small plates can be long for us. So I need a real meal, where I can eat many bites all in a row, get full, and then snack the rest of the day. OK I'm done explaining now. :) OK one more thing to add - a lot of the booths have dessert type items plus there's Karamell Kueche. So I just want a plate of non sugary food one time a day. Then I can have the dessert trio, a caramel from Karamell Kueche, a rice cream, and whatever other dessert there is. I would feel nauseous if I ate all that kind of stuff with only a couple bites of "regular food". I think there are many others like me.

For those that do this every year, what is the best time to go? I would assume not first week or last week. I will be by myself. I've never done that before, but my daughter will be in school and it's her senior year so not missing school. Plus she will want me to ride rides with her instead of doing the festival. Plus she will criticize me if I get a few beers. This way I can go during the week, when I assume the crowds are a bit less. Is that correct? I will likely stay only 1, maybe 2 nights.

I might be beating a dead horse here, but we don't go to every single booth in a row and order 2 or 3 different plates. We might get a shrimp taco at Mexico, and then not get anything again until France. We walk around the lagoon many times in a day. So the time between the small plates can be long for us. So I need a real meal, where I can eat many bites all in a row, get full, and then snack the rest of the day. OK I'm done explaining now. :) OK one more thing to add - a lot of the booths have dessert type items plus there's Karamell Kueche. So I just want a plate of non sugary food one time a day. Then I can have the dessert trio, a caramel from Karamell Kueche, a rice cream, and whatever other dessert there is. I would feel nauseous if I ate all that kind of stuff with only a couple bites of "regular food". I think there are many others like me.

You certainly do not do it the way I do it, I go to as many booths as I can get to and try different items before I am full. Everybody's going to do this differently. I think the exception is to the characterization of the small plates not being "regular food." They're food, like any other food, and yes you can fill up on them if you are so inclined.

To answer the question as to whether a restaurant reservation is needed, each party will have to decide that for themselves regarding how they feel about making a meal out of small plates while walking. some will enjoy doing that, and some won't.

Plus she will want me to ride rides with her instead of doing the festival. Plus she will criticize me if I get a few beers.

She sounds like a lovely person. :sad2: I wouldn't want to go with her either. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean, but I don't understand these kids who treat their parents like this. I could never make either of my parents go on anything with me if they didn't want to, and if I ever even thought about criticizing what they did with their money on vacation, well, let's say I wouldn't be here to talk about it.

To answer your question, go to www.easywdw.com and look up the crowd calendars. I would say you're ok with just about any week, as long as you go during the week and not on the weekends. Josh at Easy WDW typically suggests Mondays and Thurdays for Epcot.

For those that do this every year, what is the best time to go? I would assume not first week or last week. I will be by myself. I've never done that before, but my daughter will be in school and it's her senior year so not missing school. Plus she will want me to ride rides with her instead of doing the festival. Plus she will criticize me if I get a few beers. This way I can go during the week, when I assume the crowds are a bit less. Is that correct? I will likely stay only 1, maybe 2 nights.

You definitely want to avoid weekends if at all possible. I usually go around the second or third week of October. Epcot F&W has been getting more and more crowded, even on the weekdays. In order to avoid the lines, head out to World Showcase around 11:00 am when the marketplaces first open.

You certainly do not do it the way I do it, I go to as many booths as I can get to and try different items before I am full. Everybody's going to do this differently. I think the exception is to the characterization of the small plates not being "regular food." They're food, like any other food, and yes you can fill up on them if you are so inclined.

To answer the question as to whether a restaurant reservation is needed, each party will have to decide that for themselves regarding how they feel about making a meal out of small plates while walking. some will enjoy doing that, and some won't.

Just to clarify, we do end up eating at most of the booths, but over a several day period, and just not all in a row. We like to make the rounds first and see what looks good and then go back for what we want. And then we go in the Pavilions and look around/ride rides, etc. and then come back out and start grazing again. So after the third day of this, we will have hit pretty much every booth. But it's slow and not all at once and so that's why it just doesn't fill me up I guess.

She sounds like a lovely person. :sad2: I wouldn't want to go with her either. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean, but I don't understand these kids who treat their parents like this. I could never make either of my parents go on anything with me if they didn't want to, and if I ever even thought about criticizing what they did with their money on vacation, well, let's say I wouldn't be here to talk about it.

To answer your question, go to www.easywdw.com and look up the crowd calendars. I would say you're ok with just about any week, as long as you go during the week and not on the weekends. Josh at Easy WDW typically suggests Mondays and Thurdays for Epcot.

Yes, she's always been a trial for me. I just tell myself 1 more year and she is off to colllege. I'm sure I'll even miss her "meaness" just a tiny bit as I will be all alone.Honestly, I don't go anywhere by myself though, so I'm not even sure if I will do this. I would like to. I plan to stay at either BW or BC. Maybe I'll even check into prices of Swan or Dolphin.

Thanks everyone for the info. If you've gone at a particular time and it wasn't crowded at all, please let me know.

What do you all think about going on Thursday, Sept. 26, the day before the official opening? Will everything, i.e. booths and the pavilion, be open on that day?

If your main goal is to avoid crowds at the festival, do not go on ANY weekend. the only thing at this point that will keep crowds down on the weekends is bad weather. Completely avoid Fridays and Saturdays unless you are able to go in right when they open, hit a few booths, and get out. You'll have longer before the crowds come in on Friday than you would on Saturday.

Sunday's a little better, but it's not recommended over Monday-Thursday. While the weekdays aren't wide open spaces anymore the way they used to be, they won't approximate weekend crowds for the most part.

Will everything, i.e. booths and the pavilion, be open on that day?

Booths will be open, but possibly not all of them. The festival center I don't believe will be open to the public.

Completely avoid Fridays and Saturdays unless you are able to go in right when they open, hit a few booths, and get out. You'll have longer before the crowds come in on Friday than you would on Saturday.

Sunday's a little better, but it's not recommended over Monday-Thursday. While the weekdays aren't wide open spaces anymore the way they used to be, they won't approximate weekend crowds for the most part.

A lot of the fun on weekends is watching the crowds. As long as I can get an occasional drink and snack I'm fine with it. Talking with people in line is fun too.

You'll get lots of opinions on when to go. We go when it works in our schedule, and don't worry about overplanning the dates. The lines move quickly, generally. If a line is too long, I walk on to another booth, and catch the busy one later. Bring some cash, I usually bring plenty of 5's, just in case. If the registers go down and they can only take cash, you'll be waved to the head of the line.
You will have a lovely time as a solo at F&W. It's so nice to wander around, stop, enjoy a snack and then be off to explore some more. Enjoy!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter