2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival *HAS ENDED*

No offence intended, but that seems an issue with budgeting rather than pricing.

Here's an example:

My family of three adults has attended F&W for the past 5 years. Our first night we always eat at France, Ireland, Canada and Greece.

CANADA
Cheese Soup 3 x $3.75 = $11.25
Salmon 1 x $4.50 = $4.50
Moosehead Beer 1 x $6.25 = $6.25
Niege Sparkling 1 x $5.25 = $5.25

GREECE
Griddled Cheese 1 x $3.25 = $3.25
Greek Salad 1 x $3.00 = $3.00
Chicken Souvlaki 1 x $4.25 = $4.25
Skouras St George 1 x $3.25 = $3.25

IRELAND
Cheese Plate 2 x $3.50 = $7.00
Lava Cakes 3 x $3.00 = $9.00
Dasani 2 x $2.50 = $5.00

FRANCE
Coq au Vin 2 x $4.95 = $9.90
Escargot 2 x $4.95 = $9.90
Merlot 2 x $5.50 = $11
Kir 1 x $6.50 = $6.50
Creme Brulee 1 x $3.95 = $3.95

TOTAL $103.25

CANADA
Cheese Soup 3 x $4.00 = $12.00
Salmon (replaced with Filet) 1 x $6.50 = $6.50
Moosehead Beer 1 x $6.75 = $6.75
Niege Sparkling 1 x $6.00 = $6.00

GREECE
Griddled Cheese 1 x $3.25 = $3.25
Greek Salad 1 x $3.00 = $3.00
Chicken Souvlaki 1 x $4.25 = $4.25
Skouras St George 1 x $3.25 = $3.25

IRELAND
Cheese Plate 2 x $3.50 = $7.00
Lava Cakes 3 x $3.25 = $9.75
Dasani 2 x $2.50 = $5.00

FRANCE
Coq au Vin 2 x $5.50 = $11.00
Escargot 2 x $5.25 = $10.50
Merlot 2 x $6.50 = $13
Kir 1 x $7.75 = $7.75
Creme Brulee 1 x $4.00 = $4.00

TOTAL $113

Difference: $9.75 and you must account for the swap from Salmon to Filet in Canada, which increases the total cost of Canada by $2, which means the real price difference from 2011 to 2012 is $7.75....hardly double....rather a 7.5% increase.

no offense taken; i think you just missed the point i was trying to make. i'm not going to argue with you whether the price increase was a lot or outrageous because that was not the point i was trying to make. i don't need an example of how inflation works, maybe others do. what i was saying had nothing to do with budget as we never had a "budget" per se. the list i made based on 2011 was just to get a rough idea of what we would spend. as i stated, i guessed a lot because there were many new items on my list that didn't have prices yet. so that obviously skewed my results.

i'm not one of the people who is upset or freaking out about the price increases, as common sense would tell you that prices will undoubtedly increase year to year. that shouldn't be a surprise.

as i said on another thread, people were hoping prices wouldn't go up. i doubt many people thought they wouldn't go up. besides, i never said you weren't correct. in fact, i did agree with you. but i was trying to help you understand other people's dismay. ya know, look at things from someone else's perspective.

wow, thanks for the update! how are you feeling full wise? do you feel overly stuffed with food or pretty managable? i ask because we have a big list of stuff we want to try when we go, and i want to know if we'll be overdoing it. we are sharing everything (my fiance and i).

We are full but not "stuffed." We get one dish and split it -- with the exception of the sliders and waffles. We each get one of those.

We went back tonight and had a few more of our favorites -- chimichurri beef from Argentina, yum! Walkways in World Showcase were faily crowded, and there were sporadic lines. But our longest wait was about 5-7 minutes for pork sliders (can you tell we like those?)

I really don't find the price increases to be that dramatic.

It cost $853.35 to purchase 1 of every single item offered at the 2011 F&W Festival. There were 177 items offered. That is an average of $4.82/item.

It costs $984.12 to purchase 1 of every single item offered at the 2012 F&W Festival. There are 197 items offered. That is an average of $4.99/item.

That is only a 3.5% increase overall from last year. :confused3 Inflation is about 2% per year, so an additional 1.5% on top isn't exactly astronomical.

When put that way... :rotfl: Thanks for doing the math for us! :goodvibes

For the folks who are attending now, or will be attending soon ...

Is the Canadian beer cart serving Unibroue brews for F&W this year? This would be the cart at the Canadian Pavillion, NOT the beer selection at the F&W kiosk

We are full but not "stuffed." We get one dish and split it -- with the exception of the sliders and waffles. We each get one of those.

We went back tonight and had a few more of our favorites -- chimichurri beef from Argentina, yum! Walkways in World Showcase were faily crowded, and there were sporadic lines. But our longest wait was about 5-7 minutes for pork sliders (can you tell we like those?)

ooh, thanks for the info! :thumbsup2

For the folks who are attending now, or will be attending soon ...

Is the Canadian beer cart serving Unibroue brews for F&W this year? This would be the cart at the Canadian Pavillion, NOT the beer selection at the F&W kiosk

That is one of the things I want to remember to check on Saturday.

I do like putting up the IN PROGRESS on the thread title each year.

That is one of the things I want to remember to check on Saturday.

I do like putting up the IN PROGRESS on the thread title each year.

Catherine, Brocktoon and I await with baited breath...the "Craft Beer' booth ain't working for me.

Someone needs to buy Disney Dining a watch. It is just before 11:30. Belgium has waffles only no mussels no beer. New Zealand is missing one dish (lamb). Singapore has no food.

Really?

Update Florid has just about everything but one beer.

am i the only one who is let down after looking at the disney food blog's pictures of this year's items? :confused3 maybe they just took really bad food photos, but most of the items look unappealing in them. :worried: i've seen some other people post photos of this year's stuff, and the photos look way better. i am hoping disney food blog just took some bad pictures.

I'm lucky enough to work just up I-4 from Disney and can take a short jaunt to Epcot on my lunch break!

I arrived at 11:15am. Normally I start in Mexico and work my way around clockwise. Decided to start in Canada this time.

The line to Canada was long... surprisingly long... especially at 11:15am! I was hoping to sample the filet and get some cheddar cheese soup, but it looked like about a 20 minute wait so I skipped it.

As I moved counterclockwise I noticed more long lines at the food kiosks. It was kind of surprising that they were so long.

Then I noticed a few kiosks with no lines at all around 11:30am. France, Japan and a few others had zero lines! I talked to the folks working there and they said they didn't have their food yet! Yikes! 11:30am on day 1 and several countries did not have their food. Maybe it was by design, but I don't think so.

I noticed the line to South Africa was short, so I jumped in for the filet and mashed sweet potatoes. I've been going to the F&W fest for years and this was one of the best I've had. The filet was much bigger and jucier than I expected and the sweet potatoes were rich and creamy. Almost a full meal! One of the best small meals I've ever had at F&W. I'd highly reccommend it.

The crowds and lines were much shorter near Italy and America. I grabbed some Kielbasaa and Perogies at Poland.. excellent as always.

Shorter lines near Morocco and Norway. Mexico was about a 10 minute wait. Grabbed my final bite at Argentina. Filet with churasco sauce on a stick with mashed potatoes. Similar to the South Africa, but not as good and certainly not as big of a portion.

Wrapped up my quick lunch and headed back to work!

One side note- It was HOT. Very hot. I heard a lot of people complaining. It's Florida. It will start cooling off a little in the coming weeks, but not by much!

does anyone have a picture of the souvenir glass that comes with the 22 oz beer or the lighted up souvenir glass that will come with either of the caribbean frozen drinks that cost $12.25? thanks! :wave2:

I'm lucky enough to work just up I-4 from Disney and can take a short jaunt to Epcot on my lunch break!

I arrived at 11:15am. Normally I start in Mexico and work my way around clockwise. Decided to start in Canada this time.

The line to Canada was long... surprisingly long... especially at 11:15am! I was hoping to sample the filet and get some cheddar cheese soup, but it looked like about a 20 minute wait so I skipped it.

As I moved counterclockwise I noticed more long lines at the food kiosks. It was kind of surprising that they were so long.

Then I noticed a few kiosks with no lines at all around 11:30am. France, Japan and a few others had zero lines! I talked to the folks working there and they said they didn't have their food yet! Yikes! 11:30am on day 1 and several countries did not have their food. Maybe it was by design, but I don't think so.

I noticed the line to South Africa was short, so I jumped in for the filet and mashed sweet potatoes. I've been going to the F&W fest for years and this was one of the best I've had. The filet was much bigger and jucier than I expected and the sweet potatoes were rich and creamy. Almost a full meal! One of the best small meals I've ever had at F&W. I'd highly reccommend it.

The crowds and lines were much shorter near Italy and America. I grabbed some Kielbasaa and Perogies at Poland.. excellent as always.

Shorter lines near Morocco and Norway. Mexico was about a 10 minute wait. Grabbed my final bite at Argentina. Filet with churasco sauce on a stick with mashed potatoes. Similar to the South Africa, but not as good and certainly not as big of a portion.

Wrapped up my quick lunch and headed back to work!

One side note- It was HOT. Very hot. I heard a lot of people complaining. It's Florida. It will start cooling off a little in the coming weeks, but not by much!

thanks for the review!

Tommie, I was thinking of you when I posted that about the Unibroue. Maybe someone will get there before Saturday evening. maybe someone is there today...

I've never known AJ to take bad photos. The food shown is just pretty much not very colorful. Some of it looks good though. I have sworn off the filet. Too much hype, if I want beef I'll get it from Argentina or South Africa. The lines are going to keep me from my spicy chicken sausage though.

Sorry the above all posted as a quote. On my phone and can't figure out how to fix it

I have been taking notes and will try to post my thoughts tonight

Thanks for the review! We can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks. And for us up in Massachusetts , which is cold and rainy today, I'll welcome the heat

does anyone have a picture of the souvenir glass that comes with the 22 oz beer or the lighted up souvenir glass that will come with either of the caribbean frozen drinks that cost $12.25? thanks! :wave2:

From the Caribbean Kiosk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter