2012 Destashing Thread

Today I got rid of another 2 pairs of new pants on craigs list.

I also updated my CL postings. This weekend I plan on organzing my spare room . I also have a few more things to post but I need to organize it and take pictures.

DD has to go through her things in her room and I will be inspecting it.

Dh still has his junk/stuff in my dining room floor:headache::rolleyes1

I'm getting a good vibe about this weekend and i hope to get A LOT of stuff done

Congrats to everyone getting rid of stuff & making some extra cash! I have stalled out but hope to get some projects done this weekend.

I have a bag of nice kid stuff that I'm going to either consign or sell and some books/videos that I am trading back to Amazon for credit. All of the bedrooms are done except for DH's closet. I have a stack of books, an old computer and printer, and some misc. house stuff that I plan to drop off this weekend.

Still to do: hall closet, kitchen, garage and basement. My goals for the weekend are the hall closet & front half of the garage. Hoping to get to the back of the garage too but we'll see how fast I get it done.

I love the motivation here because we want to list the house and I need to finish these projects before we can move forward!

We have a free weekend off together. I told him he needs to find place to put away everything that came home from Afghanistan because I am just soooooo tired of looking at it. It's been 6 months!

But also have a bunch of honey do stuff to do also. Just been so busy and lots to catch up on.

I haven't been able to do much for a few weeks, but I keep visiting this thread. Keep up the great work. Every little bit helps.

Life has gotten in the way lately. Can't wait for things to settle back down. And I just can't seem to get DH on board to help. He is still just months back from deployment. He is super busy at work with preparing for a move of office. He hasn't had any weekends off. So when he comes home, he is in no mood to do anything really, which is understandable.

That's the rub. Finding time to clean out is difficult. When you do get home from work (finally) all you feel like doing is sitting on the couch and watching TV.

That being said maybe I can offer you a tip. Years ago when DH and I were married we combined our households and moved into our home. :love2: DH was great about quickly unpacking his VHS tapes and books when we moved in. :thumbsup2

However everything else from his apartment sat in boxes for weeks. I would ask him to unpack and "yeah I'll get to it." :confused3 Finally I got tired of tripping over the unpacked boxes.

I would go through a couple of boxes every couple of nights. On the first pass I would decide what could go and which to save. If I had a question about an item I would place it back into the box. Then I would go present the box to DH. I would take each item out and would give him seconds to say "stay or go."

Unpacking a few boxes at a time was a whole lot easier time wise than finding a large chunk of time to unpack.

Perhaps you could do some initial clean out yourself?? (Maybe). Items you're not sure on place in box or laundry basket. Then present them to DH for his decision.

Good luck and keep going. Every little bit counts!! :yay:

I got a little bit of stuff done this week. I labeled the plastic drawers that I had placed in the hall closet.

The hall closet was one of the closets that I had found time to clean out recently. I was so tired of opening the hall closet to be met by a ton of stuff falling off the shelves etc.

I purged then bought plastic drawers to store stuff in. I labeled the drawers this week.

Feels so good to have things organized. Now I feel like I can find stuff. Being organized should cut down on me buying duplicates.

We also installed new Rubbermaid shelves in the hall closet and one of two needed shelves in the master bedroom closet . Boy the new shelves look great!!

The painters are coming on Tuesday to paint the master bedroom and the spare bedroom. Prior to painting the spare bedroom they will be removing the wallpaper that I didn't get to.

I started taking the wall paper off years ago but never finished. Really I have no excuse for this one.

We'll be busy this weekend taking out our Nephew's nursery furniture from the spare bedroom and also I will continue to work on DH's closet (which is in the spare bedroom).

The house is really starting to look great. I'm so excited!! :cool1:

School starts in 2 weeks so I am joining the Destash wagon!
It has been hard getting the kids to let go of stuff.

The one thing we did do this summer was go through the books. OMG our books have books!!

I managed to get 3 bins down to 1 in the basement, 6 more to sort and purge. Then we went through the books upstairs, we made 3 piles. Donate, Switch to Kindle, save original.
Original copies went back on the shelves, Donate went straight to the box in the car, the kindle ones went to bins in the basement.
Then I went onto Amazon and checked each title (that was a 2 week process). Ones that had titles available on Kindle went into more bins labeled Kindle. We are now on a budget of 1-2 books a month for each of us. As we purchase an e-book we take that book and add it to a donate box. When the box gets full, we ship it off to the library.

I hope to get through the Kindle bins in a year or 2.

The top priority for September is the christmas decorations. I have 1 bin for each kid, those we will keep. The rest, maybe 8-9 totes and bags, will be sorted and narrowed down to 2. We are geting rid of the 7 foot fake tree we bought. We have a 4 foot tree for Disney and when we are home the kids want real, why did they ask for a fake tree??
I also need to pull out the 4 foot tree and see if it fits in the RV. If it doesn't, we will downgrade again.

I really need to sell stuff but I loathe garage sales.
But we might have to have one, I need to pay for our WDW trip.

You are all doing great!

I FINALLY get DH on board with purging and we ended up needing some work done in the kitchen. Therefore, all the contents of our kitchen cabinets are now in the living room & front hall desk area. I am twitching having all this stuff laying around so I just can't bring my self to drag out closet contents to sort through. I am tossing little things here and there but there will be no serious decluttering/organizing until after next weekend when I can use the kitchen cabinets again.

Dh finally cleaned up some of his pile that he had on my dining room floor. He was slowly going through it. I happened to mentioned that I wanted to to him to breakfast but doesnt look like it because he still had a lot to do. Well let me tell you , this man loves breakfast and his pile quickly disappeared-lol! He moved his bottom fast-lol! Now theres only the trash bag that he needs to throw out and a pile of papers he needed to store.

Emptied a tote and a bag in the living room
Added sports equipment to the hamper and set the whole thing in the front hall closet
sorted and divided school supplies into back packs and emptied that bin
removed 4 empty laundry detergent bottles from the basement and got them in recycling.

Cleaned the living room!!!!!!!
Got all the dishes done!!!
Did 5 loads of laundry!!

The painters are coming on Tuesday to paint the master bedroom and the spare bedroom. Prior to painting the spare bedroom they will be removing the wallpaper that I didn't get to.

I started taking the wall paper off years ago but never finished. Really I have no excuse for this one.

:cool1:

Congrats on the progress! I had to laugh at the partial wallpaper/no excuse -we have had rooms over the years with that look for awhile. It is such a horrible job!

Emptied a tote and a bag in the living room
Added sports equipment to the hamper and set the whole thing in the front hall closet
sorted and divided school supplies into back packs and emptied that bin
removed 4 empty laundry detergent bottles from the basement and got them in recycling.

Clean the living room!!!!!!!
Got all the dishes done!!!
Did 5 loads of laundry!!

Wow, you are on a roll!! Great work!!

This thread is so great for motivation. I am so happy that I've already finished my two mini-goals for this weekend. The front of the garage is clean w/a huge pile of papers/boxes for recycling.

I also tackled the front closet & got the kids to try on coats/shoes. DH even tried on his hats & wanted to donate some jackets. Now there is a big pile of hats, coats, & shoes to donate. I may try to sell some of the coats, they are in great condition.

Now I have to figure out where to put them all til I figure out if I'll sell or donate everything! I refuse to have them sit around too long so if they don't sell on CL within a week or so, I think I'm just going to donate them & feel good about it.

I also cleaned up the laundry room yesterday. It's small & ends up cluttered easily. I didn't throw away much but put away a few things & wiped it down then swept the floor. I really need to go back to scrub the walls, there is dryer lint that must have escaped when we had an issue w/the vent.

Ok - next goals - 2 open shelves under my kitchen desk that have held the kids' school papers over the years. I recycle the normal stuff but this is the sentimental stuff. I'm pretty sure I saved much more than I really want to keep! Hoping to pare it down & then get bins w/lids to store it in.

Hi! I've been following along and I have to say you all have inspired me! Thank you!!
I finally brought the clothes I'd sorted to Goodwill (5 bags full!) - so now we can walk in the basement again.
There's so much to do - but I have to start with just my stuff before I can persuade everyone else to join in (or do it myself for them!!)
Yesterday I went through the medicine cabinet and tossed all the expired stuff- cleared a whole shelf! Then I went through my nail polishes and tossed all the ones I hate, or were getting clumpy. I also got rid of 2 boxes of samples that I had put off for a while - tossed what was bad, put away what was good!

It's not much but it's a start! I'm hoping to get to my makeup drawer and perfume tomorrow. :thumbsup2

Dh has finally started working on his shredding. He is here watching MMA women fighting-lol! Whatever works-lol!

I finally sold a LOT of 21 pieces on CL. I've had it posted since March and finally got rid of it and it put a lil spending money in my pocket:cool1:

I tried going through my big pile in spare room. I made to piles of large and Xl tops but quit after a few minutes. I think i will get it all organized , so I can take photos then bag it. :confused3maybe just organize everything by size and LOT:confused3

Lots of you have been busy so far this weekend. I spent today doing laundry, dishes and general cleaning. Tomorrow I hope to get to the "destashing"

Wow, you are on a roll!! Great work!!

This thread is so great for motivation. I am so happy that I've already finished my two mini-goals for this weekend. The front of the garage is clean w/a huge pile of papers/boxes for recycling.

I also tackled the front closet & got the kids to try on coats/shoes. DH even tried on his hats & wanted to donate some jackets. Now there is a big pile of hats, coats, & shoes to donate. I may try to sell some of the coats, they are in great condition.

Now I have to figure out where to put them all til I figure out if I'll sell or donate everything! I refuse to have them sit around too long so if they don't sell on CL within a week or so, I think I'm just going to donate them & feel good about it.

I also cleaned up the laundry room yesterday. It's small & ends up cluttered easily. I didn't throw away much but put away a few things & wiped it down then swept the floor. I really need to go back to scrub the walls, there is dryer lint that must have escaped when we had an issue w/the vent.

Ok - next goals - 2 open shelves under my kitchen desk that have held the kids' school papers over the years. I recycle the normal stuff but this is the sentimental stuff. I'm pretty sure I saved much more than I really want to keep! Hoping to pare it down & then get bins w/lids to store it in.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to do coats next week. Then take all fall/winter coats to the cleaners and repair the lining in DS16 coat. Hopefully the coat fits, because he loves it. I should have bought a medium while they had them.

For kids papers I got 4 magazine holders from Ikea and a box of Manila folders. I put name and grade on each folder all the way from Pr-K to 12th and then sorted the papers. I kept a handwriting sample, report cards, photos, special art projects and anything special they wanted (like DS16's Japan report from 3rd grade). I placed each pile by grade into a folder and put the folders in the magazine holder. Then purged the rest.

I'm making them school scrapbooks and on each 2 page layout I put fall and spring photos, report card and 1-2 special papers. The rest will eventually get filed into a binder in page protectors. Anything bigger than 8.5 x 11 I either cut down or take a picture of and toss the original.
With 4 kids we had too much school paper.
I saved it all one year just to show admin at school how much paper we go through a year. 2 kids filled an entire flip top bin. It was nuts!! Admin was shocked at how much paper they wasted too.

I purged 2 huge folders of kids school papers last night before bed. I think that was the last of the rouge papers.
And I was able to clear a small corner of the craft table when I got rid of the papers.

I cleaned out the pantry and got it organized. I went through the kids' books and have a huge box to donate to the school. I didn't get as much accomplished today as I wanted but I keep reminding myself, baby steps.

Need to come up with something to sort today.
Going to lunch with BFF later though.

Maybe I'll work on the pantry and the nook again. I need to load up the Goodwill stuff today. I don't want to get to involved in anything though if we do leave for lunch soon.

Sold 14 items on my Facebook selling board and made $46 between Saturday and Sunday! Woot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter