2 yr. old turning 3 on cruise: Kids club policy??

Cruisin Castaway

Mouseketeer
My cousin's daughter is currently 2 years old, but will be turning 3 a few days in to our 7 night Fantasy cruise. Would she be allowed to join the Oceaneer's Lab/Club?:confused3

If she is completely potty trained, Yes. Generally they honor birthdays that occur during the cruise. It is a big space in there though. The mother would need to decide whether her daughter was independent enough to be in there.

Thanks for the info! That is what I thought as well as long as they are potty trained that they would make the exception.

Anyone else have any recent experience with this type of situation? I have seen on the boards that they seem to be more strict lately about the age groups.

The more strict policies went into effect in December, and I have no experience with a 3 year old (turning 3 on cruise) being allowed in or not since then. However, I have experience prior to that--and they would allow activities including excursions/Palo/etc. when a person turned the required age during the cruise. The issue is that you can't book them in advance as the computer shows the person as the age at embarkation.

GS will also issue a new KTTW card showing a the new age if you go there on or after the birthday. I think they'd have a hard time turning away child who has a KTTW that says she is 3 and a mom who says she is trained, even if they didn't allow her in on the first couple of days when she was 2.

Thanks for the info! That is what I thought as well as long as they are potty trained that they would make the exception.

Anyone else have any recent experience with this type of situation? I have seen on the boards that they seem to be more strict lately about the age groups.

Was just on the dream 1/29 and the woman in front of me for child registration had the exact situation. They could not/would not register the child then for the clubs. They suggested she try when she got on board, once the child turned 3.

I hope they will let her, my DD 2 1/2 hated the nursery, she is very advanced as she is always trying to keep up with her big brother and sister. We were on the dream 3 night the last day she refused kicking and screaming not to go into the nursery. I think all the little babies and toddlers crying was too much for her. She has been potty trained since she was 19 mos, so I'm hoping when we sail in July they will let her into the kids club with her bro and sis, she will be 1 month from her b-day.

I hope they will let her, my DD 2 1/2 hated the nursery, she is very advanced as she is always trying to keep up with her big brother and sister. We were on the dream 3 night the last day she refused kicking and screaming not to go into the nursery. I think all the little babies and toddlers crying was too much for her. She has been potty trained since she was 19 mos, so I'm hoping when we sail in July they will let her into the kids club with her bro and sis, she will be 1 month from her b-day.

Don't bet on it. Due to the actions of some "adults," DCL responded by enforcing the low and high age regulations very strictly. They were essentially covering themselves legally.

The parents will be able to take the 2 year 11 month old into the Oceaneer's Club on "open house" time, but I wouldn't bet on sign ins. They may become more flexible in the future, but for now it is strictly 3.

Our cruise for this situation was last April. My son was 2 weeks out from turning 3 when we sailed. We had to go to the Club and get authorization from a Supervisor who observed my child for a bit and double checked with me he was potty trained. This was not a big deal at all. I did this right when we boarded the first day. There was no one in the Club and the Supervisor came right over.

I have read from recent cruises, that potty trained almost 3 year olds are still be allowed in the Club, even with the changes.

Don't bet on it. Due to the actions of some "adults," DCL responded by enforcing the low and high age regulations very strictly. They were essentially covering themselves legally.

The parents will be able to take the 2 year 11 month old into the Oceaneer's Club on "open house" time, but I wouldn't bet on sign ins. They may become more flexible in the future, but for now it is strictly 3.

I have read several reports, even from as recently as last week, that DCL is still allowing under 3 year olds in the clubs on a trial basis. If they do pick the clubs, they will not be allowed to switch back to the nursery at all. One or the other, not both. Or course, they still have to be potty trained.

I am hoping if a child is turning 3 on the cruise they will be flexible and make an exception.

You would think, but on the flip side, I read reports of kids turning 18 not being allowed into the Vibe at all, even the days they were still 17- essentially being in no man's land. Not allowed in the Vibe, not allowed in the adult areas until their actual birthday.

My son will be 2.75 years old when we sail. He is super active, all boy and in the 95th percentile for height, 70th for weight, so he also looks a lot older. Booking later is not an option for us, so I accept that while the nursery may not be the best fit for him, it is Disney's rules and I have agreed to them when I chose to cruise before he turned 3. IF they decide he can go in the Club, awesome, but I am not counting on it. He is not badly behaved, but I expect he will behave like an almost 3 year old boy, which may not gel with a whole lot of 13 month olds, so I am hoping there are other older kids in there!

On my Jan 29th Dream cruise I was given the impression that my almost 3 year old could be moved from the club to the nursery. However be very careful and sure about what choice you make because if they fail in the club, you can not change your mind and have them brought back to the nursery.

I am hoping if a child is turning 3 on the cruise they will be flexible and make an exception.
But it's not an exception... once the child turns 3 even if it's during the cruise the child is entitled just like any other to enjoy the use of the club so long as they meet the other criteria such as being potty trained. And the parents of course understand that they will no longer be able to take the child back to the nursery. But why would you want to?? You have to pay for nursery time, time spent in the club/lab is free!! :goodvibes

But it's not an exception... once the child turns 3 even if it's during the cruise the child is entitled just like any other to enjoy the use of the club so long as they meet the other criteria such as being potty trained. And the parents of course understand that they will no longer be able to take the child back to the nursery. But why would you want to?? You have to pay for nursery time, time spent in the club/lab is free!! :goodvibes

IMO $6.00 per hour is nothing compared to what you receive in the peace of mind of a lower child to YAC ratio, in addition to knowing if your kid does need a little help in the bathroom it would/should cover it.

The only down side to the nursery for an almost 3 year old is the facility they are in; the care they receive is a lot more specialized.

I wish they had a toddler time premium parents could pay to have their almost or newly 3 year olds in the club, for more care in a simulating environment instead of being in a nursery.

A child who turns 3 during the cruise is a completely different situation than an "almost 3." On the birthday, the potty trained child is meeting DCL's criteria and should be treated like any other 3 year old. The fact that the child turned 3 during the cruise isn't the issue; it is that the child is NOW 3.

DCL prevented a child who was turning 18 during the cruise from participating in the teen activities, and at the same time said he couldn't go to the adult venues because he wasn't 18!!! Again, NO FAIR. Until he turned 18, he should have been allowed in the teen group. I do understand why they are enforcing the age rules, but if that is the case, then they need to enforce the rules based on actual ages, not the age at boarding or the age the kid is turning during the cruise. They can't have it both ways.:goodvibes

We were on the dream in Jan and they let my son in OC. He didn't turn 3 until our last day on board and he is potty trained

My DD turns three two months before our cruise. She is not potty trained (much to my dismay, she has NO interest...). I've made the decision to have her in the nursery even if by some miracle she makes quick progress. I spoke with DCL and they said it was fine. I also think $6 an hour is a great deal for the ratio given, her speech is a little hard to understand (no underlying issues, just articulation) and I feel better about the close attention she will get. We will do the labs during open house so she can experience that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter