• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2-Way Radio for Cruise - Did you have to get a license?

HLester3

Mouseketeer
For the people who purchased the Motorola 2/way radios from Costco or Sam's club did you ahe to get a license. I haven't opened the box yet, but I read on the motorola site that you need to get a license for any 2 way radio that has both FRS & GMRS. I know you don't need a license for the FRS but since it has both it said you need a license. Anyone have any light to shed on this? They might not be worth it if i have to buy and additional $80 license. I have the Motorola Talabout T6510XLR pack from costco, they are yellow and it says they can go up to 10 miles.

Thanks, Heather

The fine is far greater if you get busted talking on GMRS without a license. What people don't realise is that the FCC license only applies inside the US. It does not cover you when you use a two way outside of the US.

I've known lots of people with FRS/GMRS radios (I have 4 of them), but I have never known anyone to even attempt to get a license. I think it's an outdated and unenforced requirement that no one takes seriously enough to repeal.

Thanks for the information. After reading reviews on Amazon I am almost tempted to take them back, the people who wrote reviews state that they have very poor ability to go any distance. I would hate to spend the money on a license and then take them on the ship and not have work very well. At least I got them from Costco so I could take them back if they didn't work on the ship, but I hate to get a license and then not ever use them. The license costs more than the radios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter