2 of my 3 kids are now adults...UGH...what meals are worth the cost? [not on DDP]

TnTWalter

DIS Veteran
thinking of doing Biergarten for lunch but man the kids that are 'adults' are $27 each! Crazy.

Is there any place that you say absolutely worth the price? 1 of the 2 eats alot and the other does NOT. She would prefer kids menu.

We are staying offsite.

We did DDP twice when they were young and enjoyed it but it a lot of focus was on the meals and planning around them.

Last time we went, we only did one reservation at CP so we could do some characters and get in MK early. It was great but >$120 for breakfast. :rolleyes1

I was thinking it would be nice to do one ressie again. Biergarten gets high reviews for being fun and the lunch is more affordable [dinner $35 each not worth it for what my 2 kids would eat].

What 1 would you do?

thinking about:
Biergarten Lunch
Ohana Dinner
Raglan Road
Yak and Yeti [though we enjoyed their CS]
Le Cellier [ate there on DDP when 1 credit and LOVED but it was on the plan so no idea the actual cost]

other ideas?

or wishes dessert party?

or save money and buy more souvies?? LOL.

Thanks.

If you are only planning on one TS with 3 kids, Biergarten would not be my choice. I would do something more exciting and 'Disney' for that one meal. If you are going to pay for buffet, might as well get to see Mickey and friends for the kids. Supposedly a good combination of nice location, good food and characters is Cape May Cafe at Beach Club- not as crazy as CM.

If you don't think the buffets are worth the price for the kids, do a TS that is not buffet and the one can order off the kids menu. You could even do two cheaper TS, for instance Sci Fi Diner, the Plaza, some Epcot TS where you order off a menu.

We did biergarten for many years in a row, but last year, we did not like it at all. Not going back this year.

thinking of doing Biergarten for lunch but man the kids that are 'adults' are $27 each! Crazy.

Is there any place that you say absolutely worth the price? 1 of the 2 eats alot and the other does NOT. She would prefer kids menu.

We are staying offsite.

We did DDP twice when they were young and enjoyed it but it a lot of focus was on the meals and planning around them.

Last time we went, we only did one reservation at CP so we could do some characters and get in MK early. It was great but >$120 for breakfast. :rolleyes1

I was thinking it would be nice to do one ressie again. Biergarten gets high reviews for being fun and the lunch is more affordable [dinner $35 each not worth it for what my 2 kids would eat].

What 1 would you do?

thinking about:
Biergarten Lunch
Ohana Dinner
Raglan Road
Yak and Yeti [though we enjoyed their CS]
Le Cellier [ate there on DDP when 1 credit and LOVED but it was on the plan so no idea the actual cost]

other ideas?

or wishes dessert party?

or save money and buy more souvies?? LOL.

Thanks.

I would either do the Hoop Dee Doo (classic Disney experience) or possibly Chefs de France for lunch to see Remy or a nice dinner at Sanaa, to sit by the window and watch the animals AND eat delicious food!

All three of those experiences are wonderful, to me.

I wasn't impressed with the Wishes Dessert Party or Ohana, but out of your other choices, those two would be my favorites.

You may have more flexibility at a non-buffet restaurant where your DD could order just an appetizer instead of an entree.

You may have more flexibility at a non-buffet restaurant where your DD could order just an appetizer instead of an entree.

:thumbsup2

I was going to suggest this. 50's Prime Time is great for this, or Sci Fi, or go with Via Napoli in WS and get a pizza for the family to share.

Are you kidding? hoop de doo is FAR too expensive to pay for 4 adults. No way no how.

I'd rather do the wild africa safari.

:rotfl2:

I also have two "adult" children. I find buffets and flat price meals are not worth it for us. My 10 yr old is very picky. I can't handle paying $35 for him to get some chicken nuggets, Mac and cheese, and rolls from the kids buffet. But at an order off the menu you can share meals, order appetizers as an entree, etc. like you would at home.

Leaning away from buffets for sure. Thanks for great ideas.

I'm going to look into the one at AK where you can see animals while you eat; sounds cool.

Raglan Road looks to be a fun place in DTD.

We're also doing several off-site.

GREAT DEAL- House of Blues, Downtown Disney. You can get a $50 gift Cert. for $6 Online at Restaurant.com use code word "FORK" in promo. This place has great food and very open menu.

By the way, your kids are not adults. They just happen to fall into the group of guests age 10+.

I was wondering some of the same things. I know you are staying away from buffets, but my son loved Tusker house - found LOADS of normal food and loads more to try. I really found it worth the cost.

I also wonder if the age is strictly enforced. I have a 10 year old who sometimes wants to eat off the adult menu, and I'm fine with that as how many chicken nuggets can you actually eat? but other times he really would prefer it. Is it 10 and under? under 10? what's the rule? And...how is disney on plate splitting? Half the time I would like a child sized meal...and I could easily split with ds10.

I was wondering some of the same things. I know you are staying away from buffets, but my son loved Tusker house - found LOADS of normal food and loads more to try. I really found it worth the cost.

I also wonder if the age is strictly enforced. I have a 10 year old who sometimes wants to eat off the adult menu, and I'm fine with that as how many chicken nuggets can you actually eat? but other times he really would prefer it. Is it 10 and under? under 10? what's the rule? And...how is disney on plate splitting? Half the time I would like a child sized meal...and I could easily split with ds10.

Guests 3-9 and Guests 10+. The one time we were on the dining plan, my son who was 11 wanted to get a kid's counter service meal at TL. They would not sell it to him.

When I was younger I loved Sushi! At Japan, there are 2 restaurants that serve Sushi rolls. The California Roll is about $5-6, if your kids are not picky eaters... this might be a good option for you!

Just a creative way to save money and experience food around the world. :cool1:

Guests 3-9 and Guests 10+. The one time we were on the dining plan, my son who was 11 wanted to get a kid's counter service meal at TL. They would not sell it to him.

This is silly! I will probably get flamed for this...but when you buy a kid's meal at a QS place, you are getting what you pay for. I don't see why they don't let someone older order a kids chicken nuggets, etc. I can do it at any other fast food place and I see Disney QS as pretty much being fast food. I feel differently about TS places. If it were my child, I'd just go order the meal for him so the CM couldn't question his age (no need to flame if you think this is a horrible act.)

To OP:
As others have said, avoid buffets. Biergarten is ok for OOP...but you've got the right idea in doing lunch instead of dinner there. There are several places that don't seem too steep in prices for TS meals as long as your children don't go for the steaks (Chefs de France, 50s PT, Sci-fi, Rose and Crown, Tony's, Teppan Edo- which isn't much more than the Japanese steakhouse we have locally, Via Napoli- splitting pizzas, etc.)

If they are really picky, you could always let them eat a CS meal, then just sit with you and do dessert or something during your meal.

Here's the new Le Cellier menu for dinner if the link works: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me...Cellier/le-cellier-steakhouse-menu-dinner.pdf The lunch menu is the same as before...and definitely a better value if you like sitdown lunches (we prefer CS at lunchtime.)

I also would not do a buffet. At a sit down restaurant the kids can share an adult entree or maybe have appetizers instead.

Also, anyone can order a child's meal at a counter service. There may be an issue with dining plan credits but it can be purchased oop.

thanks for the info about ages at TS restaurants. :)

We have always gotten kids meals at QS for even the adults. If dh is in line ordering and we're all sitting...I've never ever ever had them ask the ages of the people or to see their faces...

Maybe it's different if you're on the dining plan? I don't know anything about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter