1st Timers - Day 9 - MGM Studios & Fantasmic (NOT!)

Milly

Earning My Ears
The weather forecast for today is hot - I mean not just hot but HOT! - SCORCHIO!
With this in mind - as the chief co-ordinator - I feel it my duty to get everyone up early in order to hit the park at opening time - do a few rides - and get out before 1.00p.m. when it will be unbearable - get back to the villa for a swim - then return at @ tea-time to grab a couple more rides before the grand finale of Fantasmic.
That's the plan - but as I'm beginning to realise - this is why you make a plan - so that when it goes "pear shaped" you have at least got some idea of what to do and where to go as an alternative!!
Anyway - we start perfectly - we are standing in front of the "Big Mickey Sourcerer's Hat" with about 50 or so others as they open the park and we're off - we've had our "Toast & Twinkies" breakfast at home and we're ready to "Rock & Roll". We start at Star Tours - DS2's request as he's a Star Wars "nut" - this is very similar to "Body Wars" at Epcot and DD loved that so she is realy "up" for this one. After a re-start due to a Mexican gentleman trying to video the trip !!!! we then move to Muppet 3D - I just love these 3D films - why don't we get any in England? - then we do the "Back Lot Tour" . Now - so far - we have done three of the most popular attractions and walked straight on to all three - no queue's at all - brilliant!
After a quick re-fuelling stop (coffee!) while the youngsters play in the Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground - we decide (well - actually were fed up with DS2 moaning about us not going on rides that he wants!!) to see how the Tower of Terrors looks...........TERRIFYING!!!!! Somehow - I get volunteered to take DS2 & DD on to this. Despite my best efforts to try to disuade DD (and thus give me an excuse not to go!) by using scary tactics - she seems determind to see me more petrified than her for once - I have to say she succeeded - it's a real "thrill ride"!!!! - never to be ridden again by me!!!!
Luckily - as they come off this one and move confidently towards the Rock & Roll Rollercoaster we meet the boys and I manage to persuade them to take DS2 on with them while a large ice cream bribe works with DD!
DW,DF & DM had fastpassed R & R Rollercoaster while I was on Tower of Terror and we are able to give the three boys another go on this. Actually - I now regret not going on this ride as it was on my "must do" list. Oh well - I need an excuse to come back again! There it is!
We leave the park at @ 2.15p.m - a bit later than anticipated but there is a lot of cool shady places to avoid the sun here and it's been great fun.
We lunch at McDonald's - I do like the Chicken Flatbread meal - and home for a swim.
Then - back to MGM by 6.45p.m - we ask a CM about Fantasmic eg. when do we need to go to get a seat and she tells us that if were not there by 7.45 - 8.00p.m. then were unlikely to get a seat. With this in mind we head up the street towards the theatre and she was right - the place is filling up fast.
We get a good seat and wait patiently for @ and hour & fifteen minutes - ther is a great atmposphere - there are two groups of Mexican students in the audience who eventually manage to start a rather good "Mexican Wave" going back & forth - then after the numerous "ME-HEE-CO" chants from them - a bunch of very patriotic Red Neck's - sorry - I mean locals - start up a huge "U-S-A" chant. It all add's to the atmosphere and makes the time pass quicker. Eventually the lights dim and the croud roars -the music starts and suddenly Mickey appears to screams of delight. The water fountains start and lights come on - and then go off!........this doesn't look quite right........there are murmers from behind about this "not happening last time" & "where are the pictures?". After 2 or 3 minutes - everything stops - audience lights come back on - then an anouncement - "Sorry - due to a technical fault - tonights Fantasmic show is cancelled"! People are stunned - they just look at each other in amazement - surely this must be a mistake - they can't just tell 6900 people that's it can they? After a couple of minutes the hoots and whistles of derision start - but - amazingly - 6900 people seem to just shrug and say "Oh well - never mind" and off we go. I feel very dissapointed but at least we have the ability to come back again before we go home - but what about the people who were on their last day? How dissapointed must they be? I cant help thinking to myself that if this were England then there would be a riot and the whole park would be in danger of being destroyed! But here - everyone just seems to say "It can't be helped" and move on to the next thing! Needless to say - the queue at Customer relations is the longest that I've seen all week and as we exit the park there are a number of pretty irate conversations taking place at the desk!
Right - lets not let it spoil what has been another great day - Tomorrow - Busch Gardens - I have reservations about this trip but the boys are desperate to ride the big coasters so - majority rules! - I will keep an open mind and try to be positive!
Milly

Oh no after all that waiting!
I loved Busch gardens can't wait to hear what you thought of it...

How Dissapointing..

If this happened in England a massive riot would have broke out!!. I think there would have been a protest!

Such a shame about Fantasmic - hope you did get to do it in the end!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter