1st time cruiser- tell me about discounts!!!

tiawolfe

Earning My Ears
Can I apply a discount after I book my cruise, like I can wi WDW vacations? I booked at full price but would love to get a discount!

When do discounts come out, and what kinds of offers do they have?

Our trip isn't until April 2014, but I'm still trying to get over the sticker shock.

Can I apply a discount after I book my cruise, like I can wi WDW vacations? I booked at full price but would love to get a discount!

When do discounts come out, and what kinds of offers do they have?

Our trip isn't until April 2014, but I'm still trying to get over the sticker shock.

If you are booking a cruise during Spring Break, you can pretty much ensure there will not be discounts. Advice, look at the April 2013 pricing and discounts. That will give you a heads up for next year. When kids are out of school or it is summer, prices are pretty firm.

Put the required 20% down and do not pay the cruise off until right before the PIF deadline giving you the maximum time to seek discounts. Prior to PIF you can switch and get the better offer and have the deposits transferred.

hope this helps.

As far DCL goes, the kinds of "discounts" you are going to see are things like: military rates - which I am not very familiar with, so someone else will have to tell you if those are all the time or only on certain cruises; kids sail free - which come out sometimes, but usually not on busy/high peak cruises, and although I have never sailed in April, I bet that is a high peak time because of spring break (as a rule, any DCL cruise when kids are out of school is going to be pricy); I've heard of discounts for people in the travel industry; and finally, once you have been on a DCL cruise, you can book the next one while on board for 10% off and an on-board credit, as well as some discounts on deposits.

Now, if you are willing to gamble and wait until a couple months before you cruise, then you may start seeing "guarantee" (or GTY) rates come out. These are where you book a cruise for a certain type of room - inside, oceanview or verandah - and DCL assigns you whatever room they want in that category. These are at a much lower rate than if you booked where you choose your cabin BUT not necessarily lower than the cruise was priced when it first came out. However, again, you USUALLY see GTY rates closer to sailing time, after the paid-in-full (PIF) when people have booked and they won't cancel and re-book for the lower rate. And they are USUALLY NOT offered on busy cruises or ones that are selling well. They don't need to attract people for those cruises. GTY rates tend to work well for people who are flexible on their dates or travel at times when traditional school is in session.

It may be that the price you have now for your spring break 2014 cruise is the best you are going to get. If you watch over time, the price should start going up. I booked a cruise 3 weeks ago and the price has already gone up 20%.

I hope you used a Travel Agency to get the OBC's they offer. Next discount you can get is buying gift cards at reduced rates or where you can get discounts for fuel, etc. and pay on your cruise that way.

My next cruise is August of 14 but I'm getting quite a little collection of gift cards ready to start paying on it.

Also, if you booked at full price and DIDN'T use a TA..might want to think about cancelling and doing that. Costco offers a nice incentive, but any TA will be able to help you out.

Once you get on board, and probably love it, you will want to re-book while still on the ship, it's a good deal.

Depends on which ship also. Fantasy, nothing, unless last minute *GT rates. Dream, *GT rates, and occasional FL and MIL discounts. Some OBC as well, but not much.

Galveston and Miami cruises have done KSF (kids sale free) lately, as these have not sold much. But these offers show as well as the *GT rates only show up within 2 months of the sailing date. This is to prevent those who already book of canceling and rebooking - you could, but you would incur a penalty as it would be past the full refund cancellation date.

Oh, and there's an offer for certain Alaska cruises for Canadians...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter