1st solo trip after lots of family trips

Discussion in 'Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers' started by DrDoodle, Jan 5, 2013.

1. DrDoodle

DrDoodle Earning My Ears

OK, so after several family trips that i feel VERY prepared for I find myself completely lost in planning a solo trip. All the research and planning I have done over the years has always centered around family trips. Now i find myself planning a trip for march 2013 for a few days by myself. I have to go for a business trip. Here are the details. conference is friday and saturday 8a-5p at the hilton bonnet creek. my current plan is to fly in thursday, stay at swan and dolphin (for EMH) fly out monday. Probably going to spend 1-2 evenings plus onday all day at the parks. Anyone have any recommendations for dinner or anything else during this first solo trip? any help would be great!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. boswellnakia

boswellnakia When I was young....Dings were King

When I plan my family trips, I usually do it all around them. When I go solo, I try the things that I like. If there is anywhere that you would like to eat, go for it. I've also done tours before on solo trips because the kids wouldn't have been interested as much. Think about the things that you would like to try that you have sidestepped with the kids and go for it.

Have a great trip!

4. goofeygirl

goofeygirl DIS Veteran

I have stayed in Disney many times by myself. I prefer the Swan/Dolphin or anything else around the Epcot resorts. There is a lot to do in that area alone! What I love about the Dolphin is that there are many different establishments to eat in and a reasonably priced one is Pekabo. Walking around the boardwalk is really nice and plenty of places to eat there, you can even grab a slice of pizza from a window or have a fresh sandwich at the bakery.

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy it!

5. DrDoodle

DrDoodle Earning My Ears

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I am more nervous about traveling alone than being at WDW alone. If I am going to travel anywhere on my own i think WDW would be my first choice. Atleast I will be somewhere i am familiar with. I just hope I can get over the fear of eating alone so I can enjoy a few yummy restaurants. Maybe i'll find someone to meet up with. so far I have reservations for blue zoo and le cellier. never been to either, since they are not the kind of place my kids are into!

6. Shelly F - Ohio

Shelly F - Ohio Disney Extraordinaire

As far as eating alone don't worry about it. Others will be busy chatting with their family's and will not notice you. Go...eat..and have fun. I am thinking of don't a partical solo trip in a few weeks and can't decide what I want to do with my freedom until my DH flys down to join me. AH the choices are endless.

7. DrDoodle

DrDoodle Earning My Ears

thanks for the encouragement. it seems childish to not want to eat by myself, but i think disney world is the best place to overcome this fear. no place else i'm going to find this many options and this much entertainment so I figure I might as well go for it!

8. delux

delux Earning My Ears

I will be there end of Feb and my friends are leaving Monday but I am staying until Thursday. I feel the same way, best place to be is in Disney but it will be the first time solo.
    I posted somewhere else about restaurants to go to and people recommended going to restaurants you like and sitting at the bar or for example go to Flying Fish and you can see the Chefs cooking right in front of you:)

9. TaxiLab127

TaxiLab127 Earning My Ears

and LOVED it! I went over Christmas and ate solo at Tokyo Dining - kind of weird...I was sat at a 4-topper in the middle of an empty area. I hate sitting in the center anyway, but this was more awkward by myself. But the food was fabulous and I got over it. I also ate at the Aloha Dinner show at Poly. I met a nice family in the waiting area and, what do you know, I was seated next to them! I met a lot of people, both cast members and other guests, got to go and do whatever I wanted when I wanted, and had a BLAST! I'm hoping to go back again next Christmas. One highlight for me - I did the Wild Africa Trek tour at AK. It was a fantastic experience and one I will always remember. Again, I met a great family on the tour and the CM/tour leaders were great. Good luck and you will have so much fun!!!! I'm jealous - I want to go back tomorrow! :)

10. DakotaRose

DakotaRose Mouseketeer

On my solo trip, the CMs at most TS places would pause to chat while I waited, and I never waited long for food. I wondered if maybe they put a rush on things for solos.
    If you're worried about wait time here are a few suggestions. Look at the menu before you go, so you are ready to order food when the waiter/waitress takes your drink order. Use wait time to sort thru photos on your camera, to text family or friends, to look over your plan for the next day, etc. I also carry a few pages of a paperback book with me, throwing away pages as they are read, and adding more for the next day. I enjoy reading while I eat -- it lets me unwind from the Disney overstimulation. Remember, most people will be too busy focusing on their dining companions and their food to wonder about you. No need to feel awkward! ;) We all have to eat, right? Enjoy!!!
    P.S. When dining alone, use the restroom before being seated at your table.